Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 90 of 203 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1268289 - 09/14/09 06:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
Originally Posted By: Quagles
I'm wondering if anyone got a tip of on some supplemental material on being better at reading sheet music?

One of my long-term goals is to become a proficient sight-reader, so I read through each and every post here on PW regarding that subject. You can search around, but the consensus is this: you need to practice sight-reading a lot of sheet music that is a couple levels below your current level. I noticed my note reading (but not playing HT at first sight) improved a lot recently, probably around the time I started working on 'Greensleeves,' but I've been working on a lot of non-Alfred pieces. And this is just my personal experience, but I notice that when I tackle pieces above my current level, my note recognition skills significantly improve for my lower level pieces.

Understanding where to start on the keyboard? It's as simple as reading the first notes on both staves and positioning the appropriate finger number there. But I do remember in my earlier months I drew a blank and made silly mistakes when placing my hands on the keyboard during lessons...I guess it just gets better with time. As for recognizing which octaves you're supposed to play at, I'm not sure I understand. Each line and space on the staff corresponds to a single note only, unless 8va or such is indicated. In that case it just means playing the same note but an octave up. Just remember that G clef is from middle C up, while the F clef is from middle C down. The octaves just don't randomly change! smirk

I'm excited for you buying yourself a good DP laugh I'm thinking of getting another one for Christmas too, so I can practice at our house during the weekends and the holidays (I live in an apartment).

@Kanadka: Well I envy you for actually being able to memorize - I'm really bad at that XD My teacher sometimes points to random measure in a piece for me to play so she knows if I can read it or I'm just playing from memory. I think it'd be great if I can sight-read and memorize at the same time!

As for me, I'm polishing The Entertainer right now. Still missing some dynamics and has a few hiccups here and there, but this piece so much fun! laugh
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1268334 - 09/14/09 08:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
BarbVA Offline

I was able to get a little practice in today, but just on my daughter's keyboard, it is still more comfortable on my neck, back and shoulder than the actual piano. I'm pretty much pain free after 2 visits to the chiropractor and one for a deep tissue massage. But my hand still gets pins and needles and that electrical shock like sensation if I try to push it, so I'm taking it easy.

I'm working on The Stranger and Greensleeves and played around with a few further back in the book, nothing seems too challenging. If I can only get some solid practice time in, I think I could wrap up this book in a few short weeks.

I go back to see the chiropractor on Thursday, maybe this time he can make the pins and needles go away for good (it goes away for a day or so and then comes back after each visit).

Everybody is moving so fast now, I hope you don't leave me too far behind.

#1268813 - 09/15/09 04:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
Quagles Offline

@Marimorimo: For some reason its a bit of a complex issue to me! With Little Brown Jug triggering this problem you see, reading from the sheet it looks like the right hand plays Middle C and F to me, but instead its played an octave lower. Which I somehow..well don't always get, but after reflecting on it a bit today I think I might understand why. Got this answered earlier by Romolo but still was a bit confused but I think I might understand it today after playing Jericho.

Its painfully obvious (At least I think it is!) that I'm playing that song an octave lower than where minor A scale goes, and of course the bass line can't be playing the same line so it has to below that. (common sense!) Greensleeves is another song in A minor, and the notes are much higher up, so obviously that one is the normative one. So I think I might understand it now, might. But ill understand it better once I get to harder song if I've done so.

Anyways on that I'm still working on O Sole Mio, but I actually finished Jericho. Tried it yesterday and got most of it down then, and finished it down today. It was surprisingly easy and sounds kinda cool as well, I'm liking it. O Sole Mio is progressing as well but still not really at a place where I can say its near completion. Putting hands together but its going a bit slowly and unaccurate. I'm gonna start on Greensleeves tomorrow I think now that I finished Jericho, even if I seem to a bit on the slow side understanding chords. One of the reasons I learn this one is cause I've been anticipating to learn cause I love the sounds and The Stranger actually seems harder so I won't devote any time to it before O Sole Mio is finished at least.

#1268826 - 09/15/09 04:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm still struggling with O Sole Mio too, Quagles, and keeping LBJ, Chiapanecas, and Auld Lang Syne on the list too - not ready to call them done, so I was afraid to start Jericho yet. Maybe I will take it for a spin tonight. You are moving right along, and will be leaving me behind shortly.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1269105 - 09/16/09 02:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
bobjr Offline

Jericho seems actually to be a lot easier than o sole mio.. I think the hardest thing to master out of this book is the timing. I can play all the song correctly but mainly because I know what they are supposed to sound like. I went ahead and ordered book 2 and 3 and will be moving on. I guess the timing will improve on its own after many years of experience or what? I try to keep a count but i end up getting totally distracted trying to keep the count and read the notes which actually ends up throwing off the timing even more. any advice ?

#1269304 - 09/16/09 01:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bobjr]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quagles and bobjr, you are both right. Jericho IS a lot easier than O Sole Mio. :-) I've dropped Little Brown Jug from my daily practice list, and added Jericho after working on it yesterday and today. So my practice list songs are now:

Chiapanecas (not bad but not ready to pass)
Auld Lang Syne (which I'm ready to pass on also)
O Sole Mio (needs a lot of work)
Jericho (new but promising)

#1270685 - 09/18/09 05:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Quagles Offline

Auld Lang Syne, I've pretty much given up for now. Even though it seems easy I'm doing something wrong which I don't know what is so its on hold.

Jericho - Like said earlier down, and fun song to play so I repeat this LBJ, Chiapanecas and sometimes a few others each time to warm up.

O Sole Mio is almost down - I actually don't like this song at all in fact its one of the songs I hate the most in the book (tied with Little Brown Jug.), last line doesn't sit at all though but the rest is rather smooth most of the time.

Greensleeves - Looking promising, I can play both hands separately, and together but at a very slow tempo but it getting together slowly. Though I think I'm probably another 4-5 days away from "perfection" to lay it off.

Go Down Moses - A song I just started, a bit on the short side. RH is easy, haven't tried LH yet. Its a song I remember from childhood as a song I couldn't stand, so I'm hoping to progress fast through it and forget it :p though for now its a last priority I work on if I feel like I'm getting tired.

Overall progress doing good, I think the rest I'm working on should be good in about a week or so before the even harder challenges comes. I haven't tried The Stranger yet, does anyone have a recorded version of it? I don't think I've ever heard it before.

#1270741 - 09/18/09 07:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
BarbVA Offline

I think wj3 (forgive me if I'm wrong) poted The Stranger a couple of weeks ago for me when I asked, look back maybe about 5 pages.

I'm moving along slowly. Not liking The Stranger at all, it just doesn't sound like music to me when I play it, though I liked the recording that was posted.

Greensleaves is going pretty well, Jericho is good and I like that one. Going to polish O' Sole Mio, The Stranger and Greensleaves a little more before jumping into Go Down Moses. The end of the book is so close, I can taste that sweet success, but still a few hurldes to get over.

Keep up the good work all!

#1273303 - 09/23/09 09:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
BarbVA Offline

Where are all the book oners? Our page had slipped down to like page 6, co basically I'm just bumping it. Did you all leave me for thread 2?

I'm working on Scarborough Fair, its going pretty good, but I skipped Go Down Moses, so still have to go back to that one. Everything is going pretty good up to that point, except I'm still not liking the Stranger and its got some holes in it that aren't smooth. I ordered the Alfred's Christmas Greatest hits book off of Amazon and its supposed to be here by Saturday, so looking forward to starting to work on my holiday repetoire.

#1273333 - 09/23/09 10:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
Still on Joy to the World smile

#1273335 - 09/23/09 10:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
Kanadka Offline

Loc: Canada
yes, it's pretty quiet here. I got a pass on Raisins and Almonds from my teacher and we'll be starting the Entertainer next week. I really don't care for "He's got the Whole World" and want to skip it. My teacher couldn't care less, but I feel a bit like cheating and I really want to finish this book. So far I haven't skipped any songs. Go Down Moses is very nice one and easy. Nice to have an easy song now and then. I'm also working on a lot of supplemental songs so my progress with Alfred's is a lot slower now.

#1273353 - 09/23/09 10:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
@BarbVA: I was wondering the same thing, when I took a peek at ABF a while ago and couldn't find our thread! I was on vacation since Friday last week so didn't have much to report. It's good to see everyone progressing. I didn't get to practice at all during my vacation but I hope I can get a pass on "The Entertainer" from my teacher tomorrow.
30th Week Playing Piano
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1273659 - 09/23/09 06:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
Quagles Offline

I love the sound of Greensleeves and can play it pretty much flawless about half the times now, so I'd say its down and maybe some little bit polishing.

Go down moses, was pretty easy, easier than Greensleeves for sure. Only problem was to changing positions fast enough and correct which took some time to grasp otherwise, easy so glad its out of the way.

O Sole Mio I haven't even worked on much but trying to just get it out of the way as soon as possible.

The Stranger, need to start soon.

Also tried to make a go for Scarborough fair (The song I think I might have been looking forward the most to play.) So far seperate its easy but putting them together is really hard so just trying to slowly make it better and concentrate on the early parts first and master them. I think it should take a while to get this down, and I might start on raisins and almonds after O sole mio, since it looks just a bit easier.

Starting to get much more fun now that the melodies sounds a bit..I guess harder and better as well. So looking very much forward to The Entertainer in some weeks, but not looking forward to Amazing grace :p

#1273772 - 09/23/09 09:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
andrelie1 Offline

Hi all, I have been learning Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Book 1 for 6 months. I am now at Greensleeves.

I post my Jericho on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQTNN4TR58

Appreciate if you guys can give some feedback

Regards
Andre

#1273775 - 09/23/09 09:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: andrelie1]
romolo Offline

Andrelie1,
Sounded good but I think your right hand is playing at an octave higher than what it should be...
I'm not too sure though...I could be wrong
But other than that...it sounded good smile

#1273808 - 09/23/09 10:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: romolo]
BarbVA Offline

Yeah, what Romolo said, your right hand seems to be an octave too high, other than that sounds good. And welcome!!!

#1273811 - 09/23/09 10:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
LVP Offline

Loc: Vermont
This is a weird question, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything that reminds them of "A Friend Like You" (on page 31 of the shorter book 1, not the all in one).

There is something about this that I ADORE and was really hoping that it had been cribbed from something longer that I could learn to play. I love the bass on my piano, and it really draws out its beauty. I read that this was an original written for the course, but if it reminds you of anything, esp. the bass line, please let me know!

#1273815 - 09/23/09 10:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
BluesNotes Offline

Loc: NJ
Hi, Andrelie1

I don't know the piece that well, but you're playing is good. I have done a bit of research on the web and also from my own library here, and the only thing I noticed, is you have a tendancy to keep your non playing fingers high off the keys. I could recognize the Alfred page in the book you have. I also use Alfred, I just don't have the exact copy as that one.

I have this same problem, and I find I have to concentrate on relaxing and focusing my movements to try and get my hands to move like I see teachers and pro players do on videos. I don't play anywhere near as good as you do yet, as I have the same problem as BarbVA. I have carpel tunnel syndrome and tendonitis, but I saw a video from a link posted on the forum of a guy with braces and forearm bands on and he could play very well. So there's hope for me I think. I am new here too, but welcome, and I hope to get to know you all better in the near future.

I don't have the ability hardware wise to post audio or video of me yet, even if I did, you might run for the hills at my present level of proficency lol.

#1273826 - 09/23/09 11:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BluesNotes]
andrelie1 Offline

Romolo, BarbVA, BlueNotes, thanks for the advice. I see the same play by PianoNobleAxleMan on YouTube and just realize that I am playing one octave higher for the right hand. Look forward to playing it on the right octave smile

Rgds

#1273950 - 09/24/09 07:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: andrelie1]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

lvp, I don't think it necessarily reminded me of anything, but I really liked "A Friend Like You". Simple, but pretty.

#1274121 - 09/24/09 12:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
happykah Offline

Loc: SE USA
I'm nearly done with this level, but am having a brain freeze in the last section of the theory book. For those of you that are working in the separate theory book, could someone give me a bit of help on the bottom part of page 54? The 3rd exercise says to write the chord symbol above each chord... So would that be A for the first one listed? And D for the next measure?
Anyone?
I never did much theory back when I was taking lessons-and that was 15 years ago...
I'd sure appreciate some help! Thanks!
Sacred Silhouettes

#1274138 - 09/24/09 12:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Piano Course Book #1 [Re: happykah]
Kanadka Offline

@marimorimo: wow, you are already done with the Entertainer. That was fast. One more song and you are done with the book! I can only do the right hand reasonable fast. But I was working on all my supplemental pieces and didn't have time to work on it. My teacher said we can start next week.

#1274184 - 09/24/09 01:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Kanadka]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
I'm still plugging along also. I'm polishing O Sole Mio, and now starting up Greensleeves. My teacher and I decided to skip Jericho, because she's got me working on a bunch of other tunes from other books (Faber & Faber kids Book 2B.) Also I just picked up "Very Easy Classics to Moderns," which is the easiest in a series. I'll start into that one this week too.

I'm still loving it though. Best wishes to all...

#1274473 - 09/24/09 08:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
Oz_Leikela Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: BarbVA
Where are all the book oners? Our page had slipped down to like page 6, co basically I'm just bumping it. Did you all leave me for thread 2?

I'll be joining tomorrow! My piano arrives and I can't wait to start book 1. Just a silly question. I get impatient so know I'm going to have to hold myself back and not be tempted to rush to the good bits in the book, and just do one lesson at a time in sequence. So when do people move onto the next lesson? How many times over do you play a lesson? Until you feel comfortable, have it memorised, or do you just keep going until it gets too hard and go back and re-do the last few over and over?
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book #1
Week 7
Kawai K-3

#1274502 - 09/24/09 09:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Oz_Leikela]
andrelie1 Offline

I normally move on the next lesson after I am comfortable with the current one. i try to practice everyday 15-30 minutes while during weekend i practice more.

What piano do you get?

#1274545 - 09/24/09 10:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: andrelie1]
Oz_Leikela Offline

Kawai K-3, it's just 26 hours away - not that I'm counting smile
Think I'll spend most of the weekend playing seeing as I have 25 years of built up wanting to play in me. smile Then I'll be aiming for an hour a day during the week and more on weekends also.
Week 7
Kawai K-3

#1274634 - 09/25/09 01:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Oz_Leikela]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I dipped a toe into the water and started playing "The Stranger" tonight, even though I've not really nailed "O Sole Mio" or "Jericho" totally yet. So far I've only done the RH and I kind of like it.

Oz Leikela, I play a piece until I can play it reasonably well, and then I move on, but I continue to play the previous three or so pieces for a while after I've moved on. I also have a playlist of favorites that I try to play a few times a week so I don't forget them. Some of those are from other books.

#1274674 - 09/25/09 03:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
gintarec Offline

Loc: UK
Oz Leikela - you are the same as me!!! I hope to join everyone here tomorrow as well, as my piano is arriving in 25 hours!!! It is Clavinova CLP-240, and I have received my book from Amazon yesterday. I guess, our plans for this weekend are very similar smile

#1274906 - 09/25/09 01:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: gintarec]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Congratulations Oz Leikela and gintarec! Great to hear that the new instruments are on the way! You must be very excited.

I found that I was able to work through the first 80 or so pages of the AIO Book 1 in a few hours, since it's mostly intro theory and simple pieces. I had had some exposure to note reading and key signatures and stuff already, so the first sections moved pretty quick. Like so many in this group, Little Brown Jug was the first song that made me stop and practice for several days, maybe a week, before I felt confident enough to move on.

I found I was much harder on myself before I started with my teacher. She generally has me demonstrate proficiency, not perfection, before moving on. But I'm also doing lots of little tunes other than the AIO book.

Have a great weekend with your new instruments!

#1275434 - 09/26/09 07:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Zenobe]
Oz_Leikela Offline

This book is fantastic! Has been a while since I've had to work out intervals etc. (in fact not since school) so the theory refresher is excellent and the step by step gradual building up of the pieces is also really good. I was wondering how I'd go putting two hands together without a teacher, and whilst I'm at the BASIC BASIC stages having just started, I'm pleased with how you are guided through it. Just got Jingle Bells done. Can see myself staying up late tonight with my silent pedal on. smile
Week 7
Kawai K-3

Page 90 of 203 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Musescore playing my dp ?
by Pollux
Today at 10:58 AM
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
Today at 08:40 AM
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
Today at 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
Today at 07:12 AM
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
Today at 05:18 AM
Who's Online
132 registered (accordeur, analarana, acollins, ajames, aesop, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1457 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157623 Topics
2315225 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission