Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 190 of 201 < 1 2 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
#2218813 - 01/22/14 01:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
cmb13,
You mean "At Last"? I liked that one too. It and "Laura" have that cocktail lounge jazz sound that I think is fun to play. I personally skipped "Gilligan" (although its pretty straightforward) and "Choo-Choo" (might go back to it at some point) in favor of starting Alfred AIO level 2.

Even though I have copy of Anna Magdalena's workbook, my teacher wants to hold off on the Bach for now.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2219109 - 01/22/14 08:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
cmb13 Offline

Duh....At Last. You're right.

Edited!

#2221211 - 01/27/14 12:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
jasontravels Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia, C...
Hi all.

Total piano newbie here smile Just bought myself my first Digital Piano (px 750) and grabbed the all in one book as well. I played violin for 10 years when I was a kid so hopefully I remember my music theory!

I'm thinking of taking some proper lessons maybe after going through the first book. Do you guys take lessons or are you mostly just using the book?

Jason

#2221236 - 01/27/14 02:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome to the forum jasontravels and I hope you really enjoy your journey. The forum Piano World's 2013 survery shows here it's about 50/50 those that are self learning and those taking lessons.

Edited by earlofmar (01/27/14 02:48 AM)

#2221330 - 01/27/14 08:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: jasontravels]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: jasontravels

I'm thinking of taking some proper lessons maybe after going through the first book. Do you guys take lessons or are you mostly just using the book?

That is precisely my experience. I went through the first book on my own, then began lessons. The first book can be completed in rather short time, especially if you have any sort of music reading experience at all. The techniques and complexity that my teacher assists me with would have been wasted on my during the first book. It is my opinion that a competent adult able to spend a decent amount of time playing should save their money during the first book. Of course, if you have $1000-1500 to spare for a year of mildly effective lessons, then by all means, go for it.

#2221871 - 01/28/14 12:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
DreamOfSleeping Offline

I've nearly finished book 1. Just a few pieces left to go. I only started it at Christmas but I think with previous music reading experience on the guitar I didn't find it too difficult. I've probably played more piano than I thought I had, all those times I would mess about over the years, off and on again.

I looked through book 2 and I'm very dissapointed. The pieces don't seem to have got any harder at all. I think I'm better off if I go on to more challenging songs.

I had a look at the real version of The Entertainer. That's TOO challenging for now. lol I can play the first part very slowly but I think it's going to take me too long to get up to speed.

I've been learning Invention No 8 BWV 779 by Bach, and that seems to be about the right level. I've also learned a large part of Andante K 545 by Mozart. Some of this I could almost site read, other parts would take me two hours to get two bars of music down. I also learned Everything Means Nothing To Me by Elliott Smith, by ear.

#2221876 - 01/28/14 12:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: DreamOfSleeping]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
DreamOfSleeping, is that you playing piano from your soundcloud link?

Yamaha P-155 (for sale) :: Kawai MP11 (on the way)

#2221881 - 01/28/14 12:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
    DreamOfSleeping Offline

Yes. But it's before I had taken up the piano properly. So it's very simple. I want to write more songs on piano and go beyond simple chords, that's why I have started regular practicing.

#2232256 - 02/15/14 08:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
    Still working on book one. havent been online much, been busy with other things. One thing I do need to do is make a daily practice schedule and stick with it. I am enjoying the piano very much though. playing a few songs by ear also.
    currently Alfreds book #1
    Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2242486 - 03/07/14 02:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Edwinperth Offline

Hi All,

I started playing piano on Christmas day-2013 :), using Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book. I use the apple version which is presented in 3 volumes available on apple store in 3 volumes, however I see all three volumes are covering only BOOK#1. A very good point of the application is that you can easily play the clip and audio guides beside each music sheet and this works excellent for me since I have no time to go piano school or to get a teacher. However after comparing these applications with main book I noticed some guides/ notes are missing in apps and I have a look to the book as well.
    I started with a 90$ Casio piano and after 1 month I bought a K3-KAWAI. I used to play classic guitar for 2 yrs but never had this excitement with guitar. Im very very happy with piano and every day before I go for work, and after arriving home I do my exercises(totally 2 hrs on average). Last week I started to play BLOW THE MAN DOWN and it was my first serious challenge. I read this topic and realized this song has challenged many others as well. Anyway after a week of exercise I can play it without problem and with metronome. I could feel BRIGHTLY the importance and effect of exercise and effort by BLOW THE MAN DOWN song!
    Also I started 2 months ago studying two music theory books in parallel. Im studying one book when Im in train to go office or back home(totally 30 mines a day) and the other book at office using my lunch time(30 mind a day). Surprisingly both books are nearly finished after 2 months and I need to review it again since there are many rules and names which I cant remember in one go!(maybe Im getting old :D). the interesting thing about studying two books in parallel is the order of subjects are different, also to make or remember major and minor scales both use different methods. I strongly recommend you to start reading music theory in parallel with piano training specifcily if you are interested in music composing. You can use your music theory knowledge to challenge the music pieces, when you learns chords and scales you will have a beter undersstanging of the music pieces which can help you to master it faster. Morover, I do a new hanon exercise every week. I belive Hanon excersices are has been very effective on movements. Now, my main concern is about my finger style, I do watch youtube guides for finger style but still not sure if Im n track?! Can any one please introduce me a good youtube for finger style?

Edited by Edwinperth (03/07/14 02:43 AM)

#2242638 - 03/07/14 12:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    cmb13 Offline

Completed Book 1 this week. My teacher is not fond of Book 2, and we don't plan on using it. I have been doing Hanon exercises for a few months now, and scales in several keys (C G D A E B and now F). He wants to start working on some classical music, eg Bach.

First, I'm trying a more complex version of At Last.

#2249598 - 03/20/14 05:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    ShiverMeTimbres Offline

Just picked up Book 1. Should be interesting to see after going through Bastien and Fletcher (All of Book 1, part of Book 2), where I find the difficulties.

I will be finishing Fletcher and Bastien for sure, since they are my kids books. However, I wanted a "Daddy workbook".

#2252434 - 03/26/14 01:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    steveknight Offline

Hi All. I'm 59 years old and have never played piano or keyboard and can't read music ! I have just purchased a Yamaha PSR-E433 Keyboard. I want to learn Piano and keyboard if possible, I'm told there's quite a big difference. I've had Alfreds book one for nearly two months and have reached Beautiful Brown Eyes...ouch ! Difficult ! What I wanted to say, and someone may have already posted this, apologies if so, but, if you want to hear any of the tunes from the book, someone called tinymozart has posted every one on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/tinymozarts/search?query=alfred
    I've found these helpful when struggling. I have the DVD but not all tunes are on it, so this may help others. I wonder how long it takes on average to complete book 1 with 20 minutes per day of practice. I understand everyone is different but ball park would be good ? Great to have found this forum and knowing I'm not the only old codger to give this a go. Comments on piano learning and playing versus keyboard would be welcomed.

#2253359 - 03/28/14 12:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    llbrixon Offline

I am new also and I am also using "Alfred Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course." I know what you mean the song "Beautiful Brown Eyes," I am not really sure how it is play and I think the UTube is going to help me alot.

There are other songs in the book also, that I have no clue what they sound like. I find myself skipping around when I am practicing, I will learn the right hand first and then learn the left hand, then very slowly put both of the hands together to make the music.

I am 60 years old and I finally have my mother's old piano I can practice on, she visits in a few weeks and I hope to have something I can play for her.

It is frustrating at times to try to tell your hands at the same time which keys to play together. I continue to practice and it does get easier. I have been practicing since end of February 2014.

I have a note chart at the back of the piano keys so I know I am playing the correct keys. It comes in handy when something does not sound right.

Looking forward to checking out UTube! Thanks for mentioning it!

#2253366 - 03/28/14 02:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    earlofmar Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    Welcome to the forum steveknight & IIbrixon

I have not done book 1 (I had some previous experience) and went straight to book 2, however I understand an average time on book 1 is a year. You are both making good progress but the book gets much harder in the second half. Time spent in these early stages is time well invested, I don't want to say much more in case I scare you off lol. However suffice it to say learning piano is not easy and there is good days but some really bad days, we just all got to hang in there.

Don't forget to record your playing, one day you might want to listen back and smile. It's also just a good tool for marking progress and listening out for technical problems. We have a post here where we encourage people to post first recordings no matter how good or bad.

You may also find This channel is useful as this teacher has covered all of the Alfred repertoire and many other books.

I don't think this thread is especially busy at the moment but keep posting and we will keep encouraging...promise

#2253407 - 03/28/14 08:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: earlofmar]
    JimF Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
    steveknight & IIbrixon,

Many of us have been down the same path you are on. I think my first post four years ago was on the Alfred thread.

A few thoughts....

Seek out the threads discussing how to practice properly.

Keep your expectations in check. We all end up finding that the piano just flat-out takes time to learn and there are no shortcuts.

If there is any way you can get a teacher, do so at the earliest possible time, even if lessons are infrequent.

Enjoy the process of learning, because the further along you get, the more you will realize there is so much more you want to do. There really isn't a final destination.

Come visit on the "achievement of the week" thread and we will help you celebrate every single baby-step or breakthrough.

Welcome to the forum and to the piano.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2254213 - 03/30/14 11:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Hitry Plan Offline

I have a question for you - how many people from this topic, who started first, finished all three books?

#2254227 - 03/30/14 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    malkin Offline
    2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
    Hitry, you might get more responses if you begin a new thread to ask the question, since many Alfred grads may be unlikely to check in here.

#2254382 - 03/30/14 05:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Hitry Plan]
    JimF Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hitry Plan
    I have a question for you - how many people from this topic, who started first, finished all three books?

That would a tough figure to guess at...hard to say how many started from scratch vs. returners. There is a poll taken every year on the forum that would give you an idea for the whole ABF population. You can go to the Alfred #2 and #3 threads and get a good idea of how many go on.

My guess would be that less than 10% go on to book 3, and maybe half go on to start book 2. In my own case I wised up and got a teacher about a third through #2, which she had no use for.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2254415 - 03/30/14 07:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
    Hi steveknight, I'm tinymozarts, thanks for recommending my YouTube channel smile It's good to hear someone is finding it useful. I just wanted to mention that I've actually got the whole book in a playlist so you can find pieces you're learning easily - here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeW-cELRAmSl9fQyFwa9BIpeSHzlxuSYM

Book 2 is in the works and hopefully I'll have the complete playlist for that up by the time you guys get to it smile

#2254662 - 03/31/14 05:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    steveknight Offline

Thanks Tinymozart, great stuff. To JimF, you said you wised up, I'd be interested to know what you mean, I don't want to waste my time on books 2 and 3 if they're not generally considered to be the way to go. I should say though, that my main aim is to play keyboard with a band, BUT I'd love to be able to play "proper" stuff as an amatuer pianist would too. I'm 59 yrs old so don't know if I have time !!!

#2254727 - 03/31/14 08:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    JimF Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Steveknight,

I simply meant that I realized that, for me, self teaching was not the best way to continue. As usual YMMV.

Edited by JimF (03/31/14 08:41 AM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2254870 - 03/31/14 03:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Hitry Plan]
    Mark... Offline
    4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore

I did...

#2254913 - 03/31/14 04:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    steveknight Offline

I wonder, how many of you have used Alfred's books only and how many have used them in conjunction with lessons. Do most people think that lessons are fairly essential ?

#2254938 - 03/31/14 05:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
    If you really want to learn. There is no substitution for a good teacher.

I've used Alfred's with a teacher.

#2255011 - 03/31/14 08:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Hitry Plan]
    Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...

Hi Hitry Plan,
    With the help of my teacher I completed book 1 just before Christmas and currently working on page 32 of book 2 with plans on continuing with book 3.

Edited by Alux (03/31/14 09:25 PM)
    Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2255020 - 03/31/14 08:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    hreichgott Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
    An adult beginner student brought in the Alfred adult self teaching book today and I looked at it. Her main complaint about it was the large number of nursery rhymes/children's songs. I looked through, and yes, there are tons of them. What are they doing in a book for adults? By "adult method book" do they mean "children's method book minus cartoons"?
    Totally loving Faur/Barcarolles and Ravel/Tombeau de Couperin
    I love Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven and new music

#2255046 - 03/31/14 09:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: steveknight]
    Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
    Originally Posted By: steveknight
    Thanks Tinymozart, great stuff. To JimF, you said you wised up, I'd be interested to know what you mean, I don't want to waste my time on books 2 and 3 if they're not generally considered to be the way to go. I should say though, that my main aim is to play keyboard with a band, BUT I'd love to be able to play "proper" stuff as an amatuer pianist would too. I'm 59 yrs old so don't know if I have time !!!

Have a look at Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course "Jazz/Rock Course", it might be just what you're looking for.
    Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2255181 - 04/01/14 07:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Moonraker Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
    And I did!

#2255195 - 04/01/14 08:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    steveknight Offline

My main issue with Alfred's books are that they are very American centric, names of notes etc. not a problem really but most of the tunes are not familiar to Brits. British piano learning courses / books seem harder to find, anyone else find this and any suggestions ?

Page 190 of 201 < 1 2 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 200 201 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    -------------------
    PIANO BOOKS
    Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
    Knabe Pianos
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    81 registered (barbaram, bennevis, Ben_NZ, AndrewJCW, 20 invisible), 960 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    75979 Members
    42 Forums
    157135 Topics
    2307721 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    ? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
    by markmarz
    6 minutes 24 seconds ago
    Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
    by Pover
    Today at 04:18 AM
    a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
    by Michael Sayers
    Yesterday at 08:26 PM
    Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
    by dschwoyer
    Yesterday at 08:22 PM
    Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
    by ColinD
    Yesterday at 07:29 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
    Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
    Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    |
    Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission