2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 244 of 452 1 2 242 243 244 245 246 451 452
F
F
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
[quote=Wish4 Thing]... Finally, this is my Amazing Grace...

I liked it. Sounds good to me, all transitions are smooth. I do not notice any transition you may have more trouble. Your play seems good to me too.

Those blues were always road blockers for me... somehow I felt like they can twist my mind so that my fingers don't listen to me any more... I had to stop for a while (days, weeks, even years laugh ) and then come back to them later when my brain functions more properly...:)

My "Good People" still need to be played smoothly, with rigth timing smile

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

Originally Posted by fliper

My "Good People" still need to be played smoothly, with rigth timing smile

smile always glad to hear you are making steady progress! The last 3 songs in the book took me about one month on each... so take your time, as polishing each single detail in techniques will help you long way in the future... I think those eighth notes still give me trouble even now, I'm struggling with playing 1/8 at 150 bpm... but, "I'm getting there note by note" (stole from someone's signature here in this forum) crazy

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
If someone could help here, I've been working on The Entertainer and there is this part with the right hand where I'm not sure if I should play it with the fingers 1-4 or 1-5.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's didn't mark anything so perhaps they intend us to play it with the 1-4, however that is a bit of a stretch. I realized I was twisting or rotating my hand clockwise to play it like that and now my wrist kind of hurts.

Should I continue to try to play it 1-4, perhaps paying attention to keep my hand straighter or should I try to play it 1-5?

Thanks for any help,

Johnny

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Play it the comfortable way. 1-5. There's nothing nearby that would dictate 4 as being in any way more convenient. Your hand position will often be moving, and expanding out or contracting in, as you move up and down the keyboard.

If the immediately preceding note were E on 5, then that might be an argument for 1-4.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Thanks PianoStudent88,

By playing it 1-5, one has to move both right and left hands down one key so I think that makes it a bit more difficult to keep with the rhythm that way. However the comfort of playing it with the 1-5 position should more than make up for it. It will just need a little more practice to get the hang of keeping the timing on that bit.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
I've been using 1-5... I didn't even think... smile

I like PianoStudent88's theory. Since next note is D on the left, using 5 helps to prepare RH to move towards left...

On a side topic, I find it hard for me to play sheetmusic that doesn't have fingering marks, unless it's simple 5 finger position... I read some threads on this topic, people often said it's a personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with...

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Johnny D, as soon as you've played the final A with 2 in the RH in the previous measure, your RH has already moved down a step. Let your RH lie naturally over the keys at that point and you'll find that 5 is already over D. That is, don't maintain the stretched position where 3 is over C and 2 is over A.

Wish4 Thing, there are principles that cover sensible fingering. It does adjust depending on the player, but it's not a pure free-for-all. I once found a document on the web which described this, but I can't find it again. Let me think about it overnight and I may be able to summarize what I remember.

I found that playing lots of well-fingered music helped me to be able to come up with reasonable fingerings for unfingered music. I don't do it well on the fly though; I need to take time and work it out. Even so, on the fly I am able to get to the notes by hook or by crook.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
as soon as you've played the final A with 2 in the RH in the previous measure, your RH has already moved down a step. Let your RH lie naturally over the keys at that point and you'll find that 5 is already over D. That is, don't maintain the stretched position where 3 is over C and 2 is over A.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2

You got it right the first time smile

I like PianoStudent88's theory. Since next note is D on the left, using 5 helps to prepare RH to move towards left...

That's true too.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
I was playing the ending of He's Got the Whole World and I started thinking to myself, "That sounds a bit like Carole King's You've got a Friend." The last couple of chords sound kind of the same, maybe they are in a different key, but it reminded me of it.

So then I stop playing He's Got the Whole World and start playing some chords and notes and thinking the words to You've Got a Friend: "Don't you know that you've got a friend? Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. Ain't it good to know.."

Has something like this happened to anyone else while studying Alfred's? Playing something and thinking it sounds like another song, and maybe trying to play or sing the other song?

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
Originally Posted by Johnny D

Has something like this happened to anyone else while studying Alfred's? Playing something and thinking it sounds like another song, and maybe trying to play or sing the other song?

Axis of Awesome does a video of 64 pop songs that use the same four chords .. good video but it has a curse word in it so I'd better not post it here ... it's on UTube

Last edited by KeysAngler; 05/24/12 12:51 PM.
Thanks for the video. Were all of those songs really recorded in the same key or did they transpose any of them to fit?

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
S
S
I been relearning songs up to Good People where I was when
I quit practicing. I am at The Can-Can now. I was looking ahead
at songs in the book watching Youtube videos. I found demos
that a teacher uploaded for her students. They are the last
seven songs in the All In One book from Over The Rainbow to
Chattanooga Choo Choo. Her channel is "pamspiano".

Thanks for the info Smells Like A Beer ... I'm on page 79 this week and looking forward to reaching the pieces at the end of the book ... well,maybe not Gilligan's piece

Originally Posted by SmellsLikeABeer
I found demos that a teacher uploaded for her students. Her channel is "pamspiano".

There is also this guy, Alan, on youtube alanchan who has uploaded a ton of videos of himself playing various pieces from all sorts of lesson books among others.

Just search his channel for alfred's and the piece you are working on.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
Originally Posted by KeysAngler
well, maybe not Gilligan's piece

The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle isn't in my book. It sounds kind of fun though as long as it isn't too difficult.

I've just started Amazing Grace though I still need to polish up He's Got The Whole World and The Entertainer.

I am enjoying The Entertainer. It's a bit difficult at first but once you get the syncopation down it's not that hard in my opinion, and by the time we get to the song, we've already had some practice in syncopation. This was also a song I heard a lot as a child so maybe that helps too.

Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
F
F
There is also this guy, Alan, on youtube alanchan who has uploaded a ton of videos of himself playing various pieces from all sorts of lesson books among others.

Thanks for share this.

I've just started Amazing Grace though I still need to polish up He's Got The Whole World and The Entertainer.

Well done!

Originally Posted by SmellsLikeABeer
... I found demos that a teacher uploaded for her students. They are the last seven songs in the All In One book from Over The Rainbow to Chattanooga Choo Choo. Her channel is "pamspiano".

Thanks for share.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

Finally, this is my Amazing Grace...

I was just told my piano is out of tune... cry I might have to re-record the last 3 pieces of this book after I get my piano tuned...

by the way, here is an easy Fur Elise from gmajormusictheory.org (many of you recommended this site for leveled sheet music, thanks!), I added pedal to left hand playing... it was fun especially for left hand practice (though with an out-of-tune piano... blush )

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
M
M

On a side topic, I find it hard for me to play sheetmusic that doesn't have fingering marks, unless it's simple 5 finger position... I read some threads on this topic, people often said it's a personal preference, whatever you feel comfortable with...
I still end up getting a lot of help from my teacher on this. She comes up with solutions that never occurred to me. I guess it comes with experience...

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Wish4 Thing, there are principles that cover sensible fingering. It does adjust depending on the player, but it's not a pure free-for-all. I once found a document on the web which described this, but I can't find it again. Let me think about it overnight and I may be able to summarize what I remember.

I found that playing lots of well-fingered music helped me to be able to come up with reasonable fingerings for unfingered music. I don't do it well on the fly though; I need to take time and work it out. Even so, on the fly I am able to get to the notes by hook or by crook.

Originally Posted by MaryAnn
I still end up getting a lot of help from my teacher on this. She comes up with solutions that never occurred to me. I guess it comes with experience...

I was hoping to get more hints from PianoStudent88 on this topic...:)

someone mentioned The Art of Fingering in another thread... I haven't had the time to read it yet... not sure if this will help?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
Page 244 of 452 1 2 242 243 244 245 246 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission