2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 88 of 452 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 451 452
J
J
Hello all. Just ordered books 1 through 3 this week and will be joining your ranks soon. I'm excited to dig in.

D
D
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum although I've been reading all the posts for about 2 months now. I'm self taught, no teacher, I know it's not a good thing but well... I have the 3 Alfred books (all in one) and I'm currently at page 95, "Lullaby".

I don't have any idea how it should sound and so I'm having a hard time with the rythm and also with the fingering on measure 5 (D & E). The thumb was on E and there are these two 1/8 notes (D & E). How are we supposed to play those two notes ? Finger 1 & finger 2 ?

Thank you for your help.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Dilbert:
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum although I've been reading all the posts for about 2 months now. I'm self taught, no teacher, I know it's not a good thing but well... I have the 3 Alfred books (all in one) and I'm currently at page 95, "Lullaby".

I don't have any idea how it should sound and so I'm having a hard time with the rythm and also with the fingering on measure 5 (D & E). The thumb was on E and there are these two 1/8 notes (D & E). How are we supposed to play those two notes ? Finger 1 & finger 2 ?

Thank you for your help.
Welcome Dilbert. You'll find many of the Alfred's method books members' recordings on the first page of this thread, as well as YouTube videos such as the one done by "PianoNoobAlexMan" below as another point of reference.

Brahms\'s Lullaby

And in regards to the fingering in measure 5, yes, you are correct in using the right thumb (finger 1) from the previously played E key down to the first eigth notes to play the D, and finger 2 for the E.

Good luck to you.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
D
D
Thank you Key Notes, I will listen to that tonight, youtube is blocked at work. I wanted to achieve it without listening to it, it's more challenging, but it's becoming very boring and I have the feeling that I'm wasting my time with Lullaby because I want to move on to something new.

I hope that I won't mess up the fingering though. Like others said here, for me the hardest part is to figure out the fingering of a piece. It is mentioned in Albert's book but I'm trying to play the "Greensleeves" piece, there is no mention of the fingers that should be used so it's quite difficult to get something satisfying.

B
B
I'm making progress on the two When the Saints, its just that darn F cord that throws me, there seems to be a hesitation getting there since there is only one in the song, my fingers stop to think about it. I've found when I start getting mad that I didn't do it right, that it actually starts sounding better with that particular song, but I know it won't work that way with all songs, so I try to stay relaxed.

I'm at a point that I'm finding that my brain is ready to move along to new theory but my fingers aren't and not sure if I should move on and let the brain learn more and let the fingers catch up, or make the brain wait on the fingers. Any advice on that one?

H
H
Thank you Key Notes, I will listen to that tonight, youtube is blocked at work. I wanted to achieve it without listening to it, it's more challenging, but it's becoming very boring and I have the feeling that I'm wasting my time with Lullaby because I want to move on to something new.

I hope that I won't mess up the fingering though. Like others said here, for me the hardest part is to figure out the fingering of a piece. It is mentioned in Albert's book but I'm trying to play the "Greensleeves" piece, there is no mention of the fingers that should be used so it's quite difficult to get something satisfying.
You will find that as you progress through the books, that fewer and fewer fingering indicators are given. When you purchase sheet music, usually, no fingering is given at all.

One of the first things I do when I start a new piece is figure out what all the notes are, and pencil in missing fingerings. This may require some trial and error to find the fingerings that work best for you. Though it is not really taught explicitly in Alfred's Method, figuring out fingering is one of the key skills you are learning.

One of the downsides of playing ahead, or skipping material, is that you lose out on the experience you get from the preceding pieces. I have found that regardless of how uninteresting a piece might be, I always learn something new (not necessarily what is being taught officially) from learning the piece.

Personally, I like "Lullaby". But, it seems I might be in the minority here.

H
H
Originally posted by BarbVA:
I'm making progress on the two When the Saints, its just that darn F cord that throws me, there seems to be a hesitation getting there since there is only one in the song, my fingers stop to think about it. I've found when I start getting mad that I didn't do it right, that it actually starts sounding better with that particular song, but I know it won't work that way with all songs, so I try to stay relaxed.

I'm at a point that I'm finding that my brain is ready to move along to new theory but my fingers aren't and not sure if I should move on and let the brain learn more and let the fingers catch up, or make the brain wait on the fingers. Any advice on that one?
The hesitation you are finding with chord changes will lessen as you practice, and your fingers get accustomed to changing. However, I still find it very difficult to make smooth chord changes; you can't really play them legato, so there is always an audible break between chords. I can hide this by using the pedal. But, it just shows how much further I have to go.

As far as when to move on, I am following the advice of others on this forum: I don't polish every piece to recital quality. I make sure I learn the point of the piece -- it's usually pretty obvious. I want to be able to play the piece up to at least 75% of the intended tempo, while keeping errors to a minimum. Having the CD so you know what the piece should sound like helps a lot.

BarbVA,
As far as what point to move on, a teacher might/probably would disagree, but when I get to where I can more or less get through a piece I take on a new one. But I always have several 'new ones' going at once.

When I go back to older pieces, I just keep getting better and better at them. I remember playing Jingle Bells about 50 times and couldn't get it down without big mistakes. Now I can play it fairly well. Same thing with other pieces. My plan is to get through the whole book (I am using the Self Teaching version, not the all in one)then just go back and work on everything again until I feel comfortable with them. I'm up to the blues piece around page 130, I forget the name of it, after about two plus months.

I'd like to hear what a teacher would say about this if one checks in to the forum.

wj3 Offline
Keynotes... I think that Brahms lullaby is from Book two of Alfreds..That might confuse Dilbert. The song in book one doesn't have the arpeggiated chords and is a little easier.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
Bye the way I got my version of Its a Small World from the Greatest Hits book submitted for the PW Recital 13. Yea!!! Now on to other things.

wj3

Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
D
D

Hi and welcome
for what it is worth, I think Lullaby is well worth learning, but that should not stop you from moving on to other pieces while continuing with Lullaby. I am a little confused if your version of Alfred's has broken cords or not

D
D
Originally posted by J Lohrenz:
Hello all. Just ordered books 1 through 3 this week and will be joining your ranks soon. I'm excited to dig in.
Welcome thumb
I have found this thread to be very helpful to me, as I work through the course, and the people who post here are a source of encouragement and motivation.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by wj3:
Keynotes... I think that Brahms lullaby is from Book two of Alfreds..That might confuse Dilbert. The song in book one doesn't have the arpeggiated chords and is a little easier.
Hi wj3,

I appreciate and thank you for your interests and expressions of concerns. And I'm sure that Dilbert does too.

In reference to Dilbert's original question:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,

Thank you for your help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/QUOTE]

I believe that with Dilbert's acknowledgements of the answers I've provided that it may be safe to assumed that both of our versions of the Alfred's Adult All-In-One, level 1 book does both have the same Brahms' Lullaby version in which the two 1/8 notes at the end of measure 5, on page 95 was referred to.

I'm not quite sure which version of the Alfred's Adult All-In-One, level 2 book you may be referring to, but according to mine, page 95 has a lesson on "V7 Chords in All Positions", and not of any particular piece of music or song.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful concerns.

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

You're welcome Dilbert. Yes, I can definitely relate and understand your interests in trying to learn a piece without having to rely on a recording as a reference point for the joy and sheer challenges of figuring them out on our own. I have to admit that I've done this for most of my pieces in the Alfred's Adult AIO, book 1. Although, I'm not so sure that it's necessarily a good idea since it'll only work if you are certain that you know that particular song very well, and even then, I'm not so sure that we won't be missing out on many of the subtleties and nuances in the rhymths, phrasing, timing, tempos, etc.

Regarding "Greensleeves" or any other pieces of music wich doesn't have the complete fingering notations, you can always write them in once you've worked out and find the most practical and comfortable positions for yourself.

While I'm still pretty new at figuring out the best or optimum fingering positions for anything more complex than the pieces in 'Alfred AIO, book 1, I've been managing pretty well so far, and I'm sure that you will too with practice and time.

For example, starting with the first two indicated finger 1 and finger 2 of the note A and C in the first two measures of "Greensleeves", you can safely assumed that the third finger 3, will be able to play the next note D, and finger 4 for E, 5 for #F, and then return back to finger 4 to play E again in the 3rd measure, finger 3 for D in the 4th measure, and so on, comfortably.

I've found that it's also very helpful and important when figuring out the best or optimum fingering positions to already know your Major Scales such as C, G and F, where you have to cross both of your left and right hands' thumbs and third fingers to go under and over each other in order to set the rest of the other fingers up to play the next set of notes correctly and comfortably. These major scales lessons can be found from pages 100-118 in the AIO, book 1, in case you haven't covered it already.

I hope that these tips will help you instead of confuses you even more. And just an FYI, it'll also be to your advantage to post some of your more intricate and complex technical questions out in the main ABF thread, where there will be even more traffic and readers, and therefore perhaps you'll get even more helpful hints and experts' advise.

Best of luck to you!

Key Notes smile

D
D
Thanks all for your comments and advices. I'm still on "Lullaby". It is not the same version as the one shown on youtube. He is playing a F# which I don't have in my version (page 95 of Book 1, it comes just after Café Vienna on page 94 which was really ok btw). The bass clef has 4 different broken chords.

It is going a little better now but this is really the first piece with which I'm having a lot of fingering problems (with the right hand, the broken chords of the left hand are easy).

Also, the "Greensleeves" I was referring to is in another book, and there is no fingers indication. I just realized after Key Notes' post that "Greensleeves" is also included in Albert's book 1 on page 130. Awesome but my learning speed has dramatically fallen to one page a week lately so I'll reach page 130 around december ! Scary. I'll finish the series in 6-7 years at that speed. Anyway, I'm having fun so it's ok.

Let's try that Lullaby once again.

Cheers.

wj3 Offline
Keynotes. Hi, I am sorry but the Brahms Lullaby performed by Pianonoob you refered to is from page 58 of Alfreds AIO book two. It is a little bit harder than the Lullaby on page 95 of Alfreds AIO book one. The book two version features arpeggiated chords in the left hand like Scarbourgh Fair and Raisins and Almonds which I think require a little more skill.

Dilbert. Welcome. I think you should learn Lullaby as with all of Alfreds songs they build on the skills from previous songs in the books. Like having two versions of the same song in the next level of the course. Fingering is another skill that you will learn as you progress. As in Lullaby, measure 5 the 1/8 notes D is 1, so the E would be 2, and the F in measure 6 would be 3, and then 1,1,2,3 for the rest of the measure. Don't worry as your skills improve you will continue to progress though the course. Its been taking on average one year to finish book one. A few talented people have finished earlier. For me, my teacher has me working on other stuff and Alfreds has been supplemental. I have finally finished Scarbourgh Fair and I am working on the last songs in the book. I hope to finish soon and move on to book two.

wj3

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Worked though "Got Those Blues"... tricky, tricky.
Heading up the Smokies next. Maybe take the ole snowboard along.

D
D
Originally posted by Carl Mc:
Worked though "Got Those Blues"... tricky, tricky.
Heading up the Smokies next. Maybe take the ole snowboard along.
I am working on both of those, and yes I am finding them tricky, I am doing the bluesy ones as a separate entity and carrying on, as I feel I may struggle a little with them. got the blues is starting to come along. I find for example the 5th bar where it changes to E,G,A,G it is hard to maintain the rhythm and sound good for me. I look past a few pages to the can-can going to be a challenge for me to get that one up to speed eek

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I am working on both of those, and yes I am finding them tricky, I am doing the bluesy ones as a separate entity and carrying on, as I feel I may struggle a little with them. got the blues is starting to come along. I find for example the 5th bar where it changes to E,G,A,G it is hard to maintain the rhythm and sound good for me. I look past a few pages to the can-can going to be a challenge for me to get that one up to speed
For me it was bar 9- where the right 1-5 goes from E-Bflat to F-D and yet the 2-3 stays on G-A.
My 2-3 always wanted to move to the A-B keys. Plus fumbling for the G7 cord in the left hand did not help. I usually play the G7 as D-F-G-B so, I have to fight the normal tendency.

Which brings a question to mind for those with a better theory background than I. Why (as stated) in the AAIO is the D usually dropped in the G7. Is it so the tonal quality more closely matches the triad configuration of the C and F cord?

D
D
Hi All,

Still on Lullaby, but I've made good progress mainly because I downloaded the "Harmony Assistant" tryout and put all the notes on the staves. You can't save it, but you can listen to it and it helps a lot. Key Notes, you're right it's better to know what you are playing, it's already difficult like that. I have figured out the correct fingering and now I'm trying to improve the rythm but Lullaby should be history by the end of this week. It's no so bad, quite entertaining actually.

Cheers.

Page 88 of 452 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission