2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 102 of 452 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 451 452
K
K
This is the first book I purchased in my attempt to get back into Piano after a 20+ year hiatus. After 1.5 weeks, I'm very happy. For me, it did a great job of slowly introducing notes and chords, and after a few nights of practice, I feel like I am remembering a lot of what has been dormant for way too long.

I'm pretty close to getting Amazing Grace to where I want it to be. The Entertainer was a good lesson in getting different beats with the LH/RH. Great book!

Just finished up with Beauty and the Beast from the Greatest Hits. After playing Rock Around the Clock, where you're hands jump all over the place, BATB was a welcome relief. I didn't bother to memorize it but it's easy enough to read, I think.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
R
R
Good job with Jingle bells kenny...that one really bugged me. You'll like the saints though...I did laugh

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
thanks for the welcome smile

Glad you have conquered Jingle bells Kenny. It is amazing the difference in difficulty in different arrangements . I'd say this book has a rather more difficult version then some others.
That is why a thread working from same book is a good idea.

Book two has arrived, the pieces look more interesting and is great inspiration to get on with book one.
I've completed Lavender's blue and Kumbaya and a couple of others which takes me to Lone Star waltz page 52 in my teach yourself version of the book. I don't have Blow the man Down, but am sure the other pieces in my book must be comparable. Well done Romolo on mastering it.

(My net access has been down, hence so long in replying.)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No "Blow the Man Down"????? How can that be???? You are missing a whole rite of passage for this thread. We'll just have to get you a copy of the music. grin

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I agree... you can't go to the book 2 thread until you have vanquished "BTMD" smile

I am still working on Chipanecas and Auld Lang Syne.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Working on "Scarborough Fair"

Hello everyone, this seems like an appropriate place to post an introduction! I'm a 26 year old adult beginner; I've been taking lessons for about twenty months. My teacher has me working on the usual fare: scales, chords, arpeggios, Hannon exercises, various Czerny studies (from op. 599), and Burgmuller etudes. As for repertoire, I've been variously assigned some of the simpler pieces from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, the easiest sonatinas, and assorted "challenge pieces". I must say, I'm rather intimidated by the apparently high level of talent exhibited by many members of the "adult beginner's" board! I haven't worked out of the Alfred-All-In-One adult books, but I'm thinking about buying them, just so I will be able to join in on the discussion with other adult beginners. So many of the other topics at this forum seem to be devoted to pieces that I'm afraid are going to be forever far beyond my abilities!

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Welcome, molto agitato.

There is comfort in knowing a group sharing your struggles and triumphs as an adult beginner. However, your previous hard work may have earned you a pass to the AAIO Book Two Thread. You may want to order the Alfred's book two and review it before buying book one.
There are several of us here that are just moments ( well weeks anyway) from earning our Book One wings only to fly into the perils of book two. shocked

wj3 Offline
I am just finishing up on "Amazing Grace", still not quite happy with the chord changes not being very smooth yet. I am just about ready to "fly into the perils of book two". Looks like a bunch of you will be joining me. Yea!!!!!

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess I'm going to be left behind again. I'm still trying to get the hang of "Good People", while I spend some time reviewing several of the previous Alfred pieces, as well as working from my Faber Adult and Bastien kids books. I WILL get there though. Good luck to all of you that seem to be on the last pages of Book 1.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
I guess I'm going to be left behind again. I'm still trying to get the hang of "Good People", while I spend some time reviewing several of the previous Alfred pieces, as well as working from my Faber Adult and Bastien kids books. I WILL get there though. Good luck to all of you that seem to be on the last pages of Book 1.

Well, I'm gonna be here for a while myself most likely I'll try to keep you company. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi mom3gram and kennychaffin,

I haven't had the time to frequent this thread as much as I used to, but from the few brief postings that I've seen, you both are progessing nicely regardless of time. Try not to feel so dishearten, instead rejoice in the progress that you've made thus far. They're certainly still fresh in my mind, the songs and lessons of book 1, and am still glad and grateful that I took my time in learning them.

I'm certain that you'll also join us in due time. In the meantime, it's always nice to have you visit us.

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
oh I'll be here a while yet too. I still spend most of my time on scales , chords and arpeggios.
Lol at BTMD, I'm afraid one or two different pieces really doesn't justify purchasing another book, but yes it does seem to be a major piece here. I'll be polishing off Lone Star Waltz and Cafe Vienna today and starting Brahm's Lullaby.

Welcome molto.. I'm new here too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not disheartened at all, Keynotes, just a little frustrated with "Good People", but on the whole, I am happy with where I am - after all, I knew absolutely nothing when I started, and now I'm playing piano. :-) My observation that I was being left behind again was meant with good humor. I will get there in my own good time.

I made a copy of "Good People" and divided it into single beats. The only other piece that I did this with was BTMD, and it worked well for that. It's helping some with "Good People" but I'm not making as much progress as I had hoped. I've put it aside a few times, but I don't give up easily.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I can see Chiapenecas is going to take a while. And by the way, mom (if I may call you that), I do enjoy playing Beauty and the Beast.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No "Blow the Man Down"????? How can that be???? You are missing a whole rite of passage for this thread. We'll just have to get you a copy of the music. grin

grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Not disheartened at all, Keynotes, just a little frustrated with "Good People", but on the whole, I am happy with where I am - after all, I knew absolutely nothing when I started, and now I'm playing piano. :-) My observation that I was being left behind again was meant with good humor. I will get there in my own good time.

[Linked Image]

I made a copy of "Good People" and divided it into single beats. The only other piece that I did this with was BTMD, and it worked well for that. It's helping some with "Good People" but I'm not making as much progress as I had hoped. I've put it aside a few times, but I don't give up easily.

Yes, I also have to remind myself quite often to know when to let myself and a challenging piece rest. Contrary to my fear of forgetting everything, I've always been glad to find that upon my return I didn't forget everything, but intead have even gotten just a bit better. Quite strange, but I guess it does work. Perhaps loosing focus and concentrations after a certain amount of time plays a major role in my being counter productive. smirk

And another wonderful idea regarding breaking things down into even smaller, single beat pieces to work on. I'll have to remember to borrow this technique sometime down the road. Thanks!

Key Notes smile

D
D
where do i get this book?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I found a version of it at a local music store, but got the real one used on Amazon.com

Try this search:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...d+All+in+One+Adult+Piano&x=0&y=0

Last edited by kennychaffin; 04/09/09 08:07 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Page 102 of 452 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission