Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 185 of 195 < 1 2 ... 183 184 185 186 187 ... 194 195 >
Topic Options
#2149298 - 09/13/13 09:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: vandier
I hit this giant wall of Jingle Bell xd I repeated it over 40 times and finally I succeded

Welcome vandier! Enjoy the journey. You will find that you will make great improvement away from the keyboard (sleep). Let it come to you, don't force it and/or sit and struggle. In general, this is a slow process. If you focus your practice each day, you will see improvement.

Yamaha P-155

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2149307 - 09/13/13 09:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]
    Moonraker Online   content

Loc: Wales, UK
    Congratulations, Vandier! There'll be many more brick walls but, remember, the Moonlight Sonata's getting closer every day.

#2149316 - 09/13/13 09:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    scorpio Offline

I have learned so much since I started this eight months ago. And of course, if I knew then what I know now, I would have tackled Book 1 differently. Knowing how to practice is just as important, if not more so, than the practice itself. I wasted many hours sitting at the keyboard just playing a tune over and over. Well that just prolonged the process. To save yourself time, I encourage new self-taught players to seek out the practice threads on PW; there are some great resources, links, books that address this specific issue. Here is the current thread with helpful dialogue: Focused Practice

For me, I am at a crossroads. Projecting out eight months, I don't want to reflect on missed opportunities (similar to what I am doing now). I am working to revamp my practice routine and curriculum. More importantly, I have started the search for a teacher. I have come to the realization that I need help to get where I want to be with the piano. For me, a third party is required to maximize my investment of time; money; and physical and emotional energy. I have enjoyed this process, but I'm starting to feel like I am playing in quicksand.

My point here is this, go about this endeavor smartly with eyes and ears wide open; work to limit frustrations; attach realistic goals to your expectations; enjoy it, and have fun with it. Thank you.

Yamaha P-155

#2149319 - 09/13/13 09:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      vandier Offline

Loc: Spain, Europe
      Thanks everyone for this charming welcome. By the way, when I play, I can't get the rhythm as steady and perfect as the records, maybe I'll just have to give time like Scoprio said, and one step at a time is what I have to keep in mind.

#2149715 - 09/13/13 09:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
      up to jingle bells tonight, think I'll stay there for a couple days until these two hands dance together better. The right hand little pinky AKA #5 is the weak man in the bunch. I guess years of playing guitar has strengthened the others (chording with the left ,finger picking with the right) So Ive assigned military work outs to the little guy. I have a squeeze ball I plan to employ also.
      currently Alfreds book #1
      Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2149871 - 09/14/13 06:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]

vandier, you might consider getting a metronome soon. You don't need to fork out money as there are free apps & online options. Start with quarter note = 1 beat and set the metronome to the slowest bpm (40 probably). Use it for small sections and speed up gradually.

#2150048 - 09/14/13 01:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Moonraker]
      vandier Offline

New word for me: metronome. I just checked in google and, indeed, there are some free apps. Thank you Moonraker.

I find really hard to change from C major chord to G7 chord, I can do it 3 times in a row but then I make mistakes, I guess a good night sleep and some practices will help.
      By the way, I'm starting Slur and Legato and I'm schocked because I was playing everything like slur.

And one last thing, how do you change the way to read notes from c-d-e-g-c... to up 2-up 2-up 2-up 3-down 5...??

#2150129 - 09/14/13 04:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
      vandier, your keyboard might have a built-in metronome.

#2150381 - 09/15/13 04:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
      vandier Offline

Originally Posted By: ajames

True, but I believe it is only for the song bank, because I can't find a way to activate it. I guess I'll have to use my phone as a metronome.

#2150422 - 09/15/13 07:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]
      Barry1963 Offline

Originally Posted By: ajames

True, but I believe it is only for the song bank, because I can't find a way to activate it. I guess I'll have to use my phone as a metronome.

Mine has a rhythm section but no actual metronome. Lots of freebies online but I plan to buy one eventually

#2150486 - 09/15/13 10:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
      My opinion is that it is very beneficial to the learning curve to get used to playing with a metronome and to learn pieces by using the metronome at very slow settings, for example, half speed.

I often find that playing at normal speed without the metronome, I will, without realizing it, slow down on the tricky parts to less than half speed on those parts, so it kind of makes sense to slow it all down and try to play it in time until you get it down, and then you can speed it up. I'm not saying to constantly use the metronome, but it is definitely a helpful crutch.

You may also make little pencil marks in your book for which notes come on the tick or beat. I did this on Lavender's Blue so that I could get the rhythm right, marking the eighth notes that hit the beat, and then knowing the other eighth notes came halfway in between the ticks (beats).

By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a Korg TM-40 metronome/tuner which is pretty decent.

This is the most recent version: Korg TM-50
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2150501 - 09/15/13 11:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]

vandier: Do you mean reading the intervals between notes rather than the names of the notes?
      If so, look at the staff and you'll see the notes E and G on the treble clef, for example, are on lines & there is a single space between them. This means that you leave a gap of 1 white note when you play the 2 notes on the piano (Ignore the black notes for now). This gap is called a 3rd as, by convention, the start & end notes are included in the interval. Similarly, A & C are a 3rd apart (both written in spaces but with a line between representing a gap of 1 note). With practice, you will be able to recognise 3rds instantly, and automatically jump the required distance without needing to know the name of the note. The same goes for 4ths, 5ths, octaves etc. It's much quicker to read intervals than to work out the name of every note. You'll need both skills eventually, though, to sight-read effectively. Keep practising ...!

#2150549 - 09/15/13 02:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
      rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
      Originally Posted By: Johnny D
      I did this on Lavender's Blue so that I could get the rhythm right,

I had to work on Lavender's Blue to get the rhythm right. It's one that really bugged me. Had to get it down.

I think much of a metronome depends on the student. My teacher wants me to use one minimally. She is extremely perceptive. She knows I have good rhythm. Putting it to work is another matter. She wants to build the tools for music in me. Instead of me depending on other things. But then....she is an extremely experienced music teacher. If any of you are thinking about it. If you can find one of these retired band directors from the school districts. Go for it! Many, like mine; piano is her instrument. Even though she teaches all instruments.

#2152821 - 09/18/13 08:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      vandier Offline

I have been progressing quite a bit, especially in sight reeding, I feel it smile Though I am very slow at changing D7 chord for example and with the Hanon exercises proposed, I can't do it with both hands, I take more than a minute to make one single line with the right tones, wrong tempo but at least I hit the right keys.
      My impression is that from half of the book the level has increased, isn't it??

#2153317 - 09/18/13 08:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      earlofmar Online   content
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
      vandier from previous posts it is common for people to be able to get halfway through book 1 fairly quickly but slow up in the second half. Which is something we learners have to get used to; periods of time where nothing seems to be progressing as we hope and then a sudden shift and we jump another hurdle.

#2153347 - 09/18/13 09:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: vandier]
      rnaple Offline

My impression is that from half of the book the level has increased, isn't it??

Our problem is that the lack of sophistication using both hands has been trained in us for many years. We have to train that in us. Some call it creating a new link in our brains. I like to call it training my base/autonomic mind and nervous system. It is something major for us to pick up and learn.

There is no way to avoid increasing the level of difficulty at this point in the book.....for adults.

Learn it now. Learn it well.

#2157187 - 09/25/13 12:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

Hi all;

Bump, the thread seems to have fallen to page 3!

I have finally finished Chattanooga Choo Choo, sort of. Not to the level I would have liked but I think it's passable enough to move on. It was the hardest piece for me in the book, hands down. I worked on it for close to 3 weeks but still it was not smooth and I was missing the rhythm here and there. Anyway, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_MOPMgkMM

So, with this piece done, I have also completed Book 1, yay!

Some statistics for those interested: I started the book at the beginning of March so it makes a little less than 7 months in total. When I checked the upload date of my videos, I noticed close to half of that 7 months (3 months and 1 week) was spent on the last 6 popular selection pieces. I am still wondering whether skipping them and working on them in parallel as supplementary pieces would be a smarter move. There was a total of 10-15 days or so when I was away from the piano (holiday etc.), other than than I worked daily, between 40 minutes to 2 hours per day.

Good luck to all Alfred 1 threadies and see you at Book 2 thread!

#2157200 - 09/25/13 01:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      rnaple Offline

Congrats Sydnal...

Good luck on Alfred Two

#2157256 - 09/25/13 05:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      earlofmar Online   content
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
      Great stuff sydnal, I can see why Chattanooga Choo Choo was hard, pretty difficult piece. Good luck on the next book.

#2157288 - 09/25/13 07:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
      scorpio Offline

Congratulations, sydnal! Very nice work. My hat is off to you.

Yamaha P-155

#2157290 - 09/25/13 07:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]

Congratulations, sydnal.

Chattanooga Choo Choo is hard & long, but it's still a favourite of mine.
        You'll find that the first few in Alfred 2 are much easier than the last ones in Alfred 1. I think they do that deliberately to encourage us!

#2157311 - 09/25/13 08:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        sydnal Offline

Thank you rnaple, earlofmar, scorpio and Moonraker.

@Moonraker: I already had a peek at first 3 pieces form Book 2. I found the 3rd one, "Guantanamera" not as easy as I expected the first few pieces would be. (That expectation I got from the forums :)) Since the last pieces in Book 1 have been taking me 2+ weeks each, I fear if Book 2 catches up to that difficulty level I will be looking at a 2 year+ period for completing it. (60 or so pieces) Not encouraging smirk

As for Chattanooga Choo Choo, it is definitely one of the best pieces in the book. Maybe I will keep polishing it, upon listening to my recording a few times I realized I played terribly. The little ryhthmic and dynamic irregularities, especially of the left hand repeated pattern are grinding on my ears.. I would probably be ashamed to put it up if I was not so sleep deprived XD. Anyway, time to move on..

#2157319 - 09/25/13 08:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        Ohio_Mark Offline

Congrats sydnal nice work!!
        I am looking forward to seeing your recordings from book 2!

#2157330 - 09/25/13 09:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]

sydnal,

Some pieces in Book 2 are quite hard but by no means all, even at the end. Don't be discouraged - you won't spend as long as 2yrs on it unless you get distracted by other tempting pieces or..... life gets in the way.

#2157545 - 09/25/13 04:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
        Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
        Hi Sydnal, I loved listening to your pieces from book 1, you are really good.
        I have completed book 1, the All In One book which ends with Amazing Grace. I can play the pieces, but not great to listen to. I had a few lessons some years ago and began Alfreds at the end of June this year after a 5 year break, on my own so I think I have done ok.
        I am stuck as to where to go next, I cannot afford a teacher just now, so was thinking to get book 2 Alfreds. I am not sure because I don't really like the music in these books and it might be a waste of money if I don't get along with book 2.

You have mentioned that you may use supplemental pieces, and I would be interested to know what pieces you would go with and if you are going with book 2 Alfreds also.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.
        Adult returner

#2157673 - 09/25/13 09:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        Barry1963 Offline

good stuff sydnal !! look forward to getting there myself

#2157767 - 09/26/13 01:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        sydnal Offline

Thanks Ohio_Mark & Barry1963.

@Moonraker:
        I hope it's like that, thank you for the motivation.

@Shey:
        First of all thanks. I am in the same boat as you, can't take lessons atm so I will have to learn by myself. For supplementary pieces, here is what I am doing: I think Alfred Book 1 can be thought of as elemantary level, so someone who completed it can have a try at ABRSM/RCM Grade 1 pieces. By any means, they are not easy at this level but should not be completely out of reach. So I searched on youtube for "ABRSM Grade 1" and there are lots of playlists by professional pianists/teachers. I listened to many of them and made a note of the ones I like, then I searched for their sheet music. (Not all has freely available sheet music I'm afraid but many do). I am planning to work on these, especially some classical pieces could be a good contrapuntal left/right hand coordination exercise as Alfred so far is mostly chord bashing on the left hand.

As for Book 2, I watched some recordings and unlike many other people I have found the selection of pieces more interesting than Book 1! So I will definitely have a go at it, I bought it already anyway.

#2157896 - 09/26/13 08:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]

Shey,

If you like classical there is the Alfred's Masterworks Classics series Levels 1-10 which should keep you occupied for some time. I finished Alfred 3 recently and I am currently on MC Level 3. Levels 1/2 (same volume) would be accessible for anyone who has completed Alfred 1. The technical level is generally lower, I would say, than Alfred 1, but your left hand gets a wakeup call! Personally, I miss the variety of Alfred pieces, and get a little tired of plinking through minuets & sonatinas. To get over this I'm supplementing with Kenneth Baker - Complete Piano Player. This has mainly pop hits from the 70s & 80s and goes from Level 1 to 5.
        Update:
        Ah, I see now that you already have MC 1/2. Have you tried it yet?

#2157906 - 09/26/13 09:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
        dmd Offline
        1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
        Originally Posted By: sydnal
        @Moonraker: I already had a peek at first 3 pieces form Book 2. I found the 3rd one, "Guantanamera" not as easy as I expected the first few pieces would be. (That expectation I got from the forums :)) Since the last pieces in Book 1 have been taking me 2+ weeks each, I fear if Book 2 catches up to that difficulty level I will be looking at a 2 year+ period for completing it. (60 or so pieces) Not encouraging smirk

The reason things may be taking you longer than you hear others are taking is that you are working each piece until you can actually play it very well, almost flawlessly.

That is a good thing.

When you get finished with these books you will be very good.

If you hurry through the books and just move on before you can actually play the pieces, you will not gain the skills that that lesson was trying to help you develop. In this game, slow and steady wins the race.

I went through this book years ago. Now I am going back through it and forcing myself to play the pieces correctly while I am looking at the music. That (playing while looking at the music) is a skill that I am very weak at and I need to develop it further. Had I done that in the first place, I would have been much farther in my development as a player.

Keep up the good work.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2158067 - 09/26/13 02:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        sydnal Offline

@dmd:
        Thanks. I think we had a similar discussion somewhere in this thread, about finding the tipping point when it's better to move on and explore new pieces rather than keep polishing the same one. Well deep stuff and I have no idea, I can only hope my approach is right or at least not terrible.

Page 185 of 195 < 1 2 ... 183 184 185 186 187 ... 194 195 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
        What's Hot!!
        Our latest Issue is available now...
        Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
        -------------------
        HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
        -------------------
        Sharing is Caring!
        About the Buttons
        -------------------
        Forums Rules & Help
        -------------------
        ADVERTISE
        on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
        (ad) HAILUN Pianos
        Hailun Pianos - Click for More
        Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
        Seiler Pianos
        Sheet Music
        (PW is an affiliate)
        Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
        (125ad) Dampp Chaser
        Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
        (ad) Lindeblad Piano
        Lindeblad Piano Restoration
        Who's Online
        96 registered (36251, bgiles, Art_Vandelay, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 24 invisible), 1217 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
        Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
        Forum Stats
        75569 Members
        42 Forums
        156246 Topics
        2294651 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
        New Topics - Multiple Forums
        Gustav Lutz?
        by MartaG
        07/29/14 06:37 AM
        Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
        by WellTemperedPizza
        07/29/14 05:30 AM
        Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
        by Paul678
        07/29/14 12:36 AM
        The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
        by Paul678
        07/29/14 12:06 AM
        What piano do i have?
        by allana
        07/28/14 11:43 PM
        (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
        | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
        | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
        | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
        No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission