Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 183 of 196 < 1 2 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#2135153 - 08/19/13 01:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: Shey
love the Bob Dylan avatar, can you play anything of his?

Was messing around tonight trying to play Lay, Lady, Lay.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2135597 - 08/19/13 06:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: sydnal]
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
What book has "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"? The books are all over the place, I would like to learn that song.
Adult returner

#2135605 - 08/19/13 06:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Johnny D]
Shey Offline

Jonny D, We have everything Dylan has ever done, me I prefer his older stuff, hubby, well Dylan could grumble in a paper bag and he would love it! I want to learn "to Make You Feel My Love" on piano, but little confidence just now, but if I could find the music I would attempt it. How did Lay Lady Lay, go? You sound like you improvise and just tackle the music, I envy that approach. Do you have a favorite? Sad eyed Lady of the Lowlands, is another I would love to play. Well, there are lots really, but studying theory just now.
Adult returner

#2135667 - 08/19/13 09:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Hi Shey! "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is one of my favorite Christmas songs and I went through a search to find it. Most versions suitable for us beginners are written in the key of C which simplifies playing it, but unless you're a tenor or soprano, you'll tend to screech a bit on the high parts. Judy Garland, in the movie, sang it in Ab, if I remember correctly! That's a bit hard to play if you're still in C,G, or F keys with early piano playing skills. Most of the easier versions include the melody in the right hand part so for just piano, the easy versions are fine!

The easiest version is actually included in the Self Teaching version of Alfred's Adult Book 1 and includes a few other nice pieces like "Laura", "Over The Rainbow" and "At Last".

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-Teaching-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0739078453/

I now have all three versions of Alfred's Adult Book 1. One can never have too many music books! The nicest version is in Dan Coates' "Top 50 Christmas Hits". It's a little harder than the Alfred's version, but melodically much nicer!

http://www.amazon.com/Top-50-Christmas-H...+Christmas+Hits

I really like "Make You Feel My Love" as well and Adele's version is just in the right key for me, but is still above my pay grade in playing ability! Oh well, maybe next year!

Here's a nice, slightly jazzy version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas done by Darren Criss From "Glee" to inspire you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edGIB-U-1so&feature=related

If you can't find those books on amazon.co.uk, perhaps musicroom.com may carry them!

Edited by Emissary52 (08/19/13 10:08 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#2135707 - 08/19/13 11:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
What book has "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"? The books are all over the place, I would like to learn that song.

The new DVD edition of the Basic Adult Piano course has it.
sheetmusicplus link (they're having a sale on method books)
amazon link (competing with ^^^ sale)

I ended up getting this while it was cheap, just to check out the DVD and new songs, though I already had the previous version with the cheezy accompaniment CD.

The actual human being in the DVD is a giant step forward from the the previous edition's music CD of MIDI generated accompaniments.

neglected piano blog

#2135768 - 08/20/13 05:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Shey Offline

Thanks so much for the information, time to start those Christmas songs! Can't get at the Glee link on my Kindle Fire HD in uk, will have to see later on laptop, but thank you, I am looking forward to seeing it.
Adult returner

#2135770 - 08/20/13 05:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: tangleweeds]
Shey Offline

Hi Tangleweeds, I dare not get "another" method book, I have so much to be getting on with, I am even looking at Christmas songs! Running before I can walk!!!
I picked up from other posts that you knit and crochet, am I right? I too can knit, but don't like the crochet patterns here in uk, they look dated. I can't crochet anyway lol.
Adult returner

#2136091 - 08/20/13 04:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Thank you all (Shey, earlofmar, Johnny D, syndal) for listening and for your kind comments.

Essentially I have moved on to Book 2. wink I do plan to upload "The Entertainer" and "Amazing Grace" as time permits. As summer winds down, I will have more time for practice.

Also, seems like its time to start working on those holiday songs.

Yamaha P-155

#2136157 - 08/20/13 05:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Shey Offline

Scorpio, will you be leaving the book 1 thread? I am working on Entertainer and Amazing Grace, well really only just starting those pieces. I will be reviewing the book 1 when I finish, and seeing where other people have gone, don't know whether to go to book 2 or not. Any advice? How long did it take you to finish book 1, and can you play other things?
    What are your comments?
    Well done anyway on completion of book 1.
    Adult returner

#2136219 - 08/20/13 07:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
    scorpio Offline

Hi Shey. One of the things about this journey is that my path is constantly changing. I had planned to get a teacher for this September, but due to schedule conflicts I will have to push it off until January. So in the meantime I plan to go ahead with Book 2.

I feel pretty good about Book 1. Going back and listening to my recordings, they seem downright dreadful. But some of that was inexperience and my recording process. I am sure I could knock out "Jingle Bells" without a problem now. I don't want to judge myself to anyone else, but feel I am progressing at a good pace. I started in January, so it took me eight months. But during that time I was slowed down by several family issues (caring for two grandparents in their 90s). My goal is to improve everyday. And I have to say that I feel very good about that.

So now I do have to think about the future. In two weeks I will have more time to devote to this expedition. Right now my plan is to attack Book 2 differently than Book 1. I worked several pieces at a time in Book 1. I think I am going to do only one at a time with this new book. I do plan to work on supplemental material as well. I want to start studying different pieces and expand my abilities to the best that I can without a teacher. Specifically I am not sure. I will probably work on some holiday music, some Masterwork Classics material, and whatever else I may feel I want to try. But the big thing here is to push myself as far as I can, while still having fun and without getting frustrated.

Yamaha P-155

#2136645 - 08/21/13 02:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
      tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
      Hi Tangleweeds, I dare not get "another" method book,

I was good, it was the only sheet music I bought last month... perhaps having gained some temporary wisdom by the neee to pack up and move my (ever growing) sheet music collection. Sheet music has been one of my biggest vices...

...anong with yarn
      Quote:
      I picked up from other posts that you knit and crochet, am I right? I too can knit, but don't like the crochet patterns here in uk, they look dated. I can't crochet anyway lol.

I'm currently working on a pair of socks, but not crocheting so much this summer. I normally like to do icky-picky teeny-tiny lacey stuff in extra fine thread (both in knit and crochet) but with all the moving stress, simple stockinette socks have been more my speed.

If you're on Ravelry, my username over there is "tangleweeds" also, just the same as here.

neglected piano blog

#2136692 - 08/21/13 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
      Johnny D Offline

I want to learn "to Make You Feel My Love" on piano, but little confidence just now, but if I could find the music I would attempt it. How did Lay Lady Lay, go? You sound like you improvise and just tackle the music, I envy that approach. Do you have a favorite?

Maybe you can find some sheet music for Make You Feel My Love.

Regarding Lay, Lady, Lay, with the left hand I was just playing the chords (A, C#m, G, Bm -- E, F#m, A), and then with the right hand I was attempting the melody - fairly basic really. I suppose it could have sounded better.

I used to play quite a few dylan songs on the guitar. Idiot Wind was one of my favorites although it might not be the best song to play on the piano.
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2137576 - 08/23/13 07:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
      scorpio Offline

There seems to be many near the end of Book 1. Here is an older thread that discussed different options going forward:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1605337/1.html

Yamaha P-155

#2139220 - 08/26/13 01:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
        ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
        Hi all,
        I started Alfred's Adult All-in-one level 1 a few months ago and I'm up to around Brahms Lullaby. Self-teaching for now. It sounds like many of you are moving on the Book 2 right now, hope there are some others still here to carry on the level 1 torch!

I've recently gone back to the Hanon's exercises (skipped 'em the first time through)-- its nice to have some brain-dead things to do on those days I'm tired or just not playing well for whatever reason. What do others think of the "left fingers HIGH!" instruction in the book. I've been ignoring it so far.
        AJ

#2139223 - 08/26/13 01:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
        scorpio Offline

Welcome ajames!

"LIFT FINGERS HIGH" is for the Hanon exercises and not in for playing in general. The importance of the Hanon exercises in the Alfred book is to develop finger strength and independence. For most of Book 1, the importance of finger independence does not seem critical. But as I am finding out, the more varied stuff I attempt to play the more important it becomes to be able to control each finger independently (especially finger 4). Bottom line, I would use the instructions as written.

Yamaha P-155

#2139259 - 08/26/13 03:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
          scorpio Offline

Yamaha P-155

#2139315 - 08/26/13 04:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            Pierre-Luc Offline

Loc: Montreal
            Originally Posted By: ajames
            I've recently gone back to the Hanon's exercises (skipped 'em the first time through)-- its nice to have some brain-dead things to do on those days I'm tired or just not playing well for whatever reason. What do others think of the "left fingers HIGH!" instruction in the book. I've been ignoring it so far.
            AJ

ajames, fingers only need to go down for playing and never high as suggested by Hanon and this has been the cause of too many hand injuries. Lifting all fingers is not harmful but lifting one while other fingers are going down to the keyboard will definitely hurt your hands in the long run. Basically, you never want to have your flexor and extensor tendons work in opposite directions.

#2139317 - 08/26/13 04:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
            JimF Offline
            1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
            Scorpio,

That was a really nice job on Amazing Grace. Wonderful touch at the end in particular. It really brings back memories (from just a while back!) hearing you play these Alfred 1 tunes.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2139363 - 08/26/13 06:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            earlofmar Offline
            1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
            nice playing scorpio, very smooth

#2139437 - 08/26/13 10:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Texas
            Scorpio, very nice! I'm a long ways off from being able to play that, hope to get there someday.

Pierre-Luc, thanks for the tip.

#2139593 - 08/27/13 10:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            Johnny D Offline

Scorpio, that was very well done! Great job especially considering that is one of the most difficult pieces in the book!
            Masterwork Classics 3
            Alfred's Level 2

#2140226 - 08/28/13 12:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
            scorpio Offline

Jim F, earlofmar, ajames, Johnny D: Thank you so much for listening.

Yamaha P-155

#2140365 - 08/28/13 06:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
              Shey Offline

Scorpio, just listened to Amazing Grace again, lovely playing. It's next for me, I hope to get it to sound as good as yours. I am studying theory too so taking a long time in book 1, but nearly there. After revision I don't whether to continue with book 2 or try something else. I see you have taken it up, how is it so far? Or you may not look here now you have graduated.
              Adult returner

#2140402 - 08/28/13 07:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Shey]
              scorpio Offline

Thank you Shey.

I have not really started Book 2. Well I have, but not really. Haha.

I will do Book 2 slower than Book 1. I will always be working on an Alfred Book 2 piece, but will venture out into supplemental/additional material. I will be back into full swing next week! By then I will have a better idea how I plan to tackle the next phase.

I will always be checking in on this thread ... it's like home. wink

Yamaha P-155

#2140672 - 08/29/13 11:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
                Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
                Just ordered book #1 , thanks for a great thread, hope
                I'm on that grad list someday
                currently Alfreds book #1
                Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2140687 - 08/29/13 12:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
                scorpio Offline

Welcome Barry1963! Enjoy every minute of it. Be patient, practice everyday, get your rest (sleep is important), and you will find that you will make great progress. I highly recommend that you record yourself, even if you don't share it. Listening, without playing, is a great way to discover areas that need to be addressed. Of course, getting a teacher is always a good idea.

On that note, here is my last upload for Book 1:

The Entertainer ( https://app.box.com/s/fqd4oqzdt00z34wtlg89 )

Yamaha P-155

#2141021 - 08/29/13 11:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: scorpio]
                  Barry1963 Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
                  Originally Posted By: scorpio
                  Welcome Barry1963! Enjoy every minute of it. Be patient, practice everyday, get your rest (sleep is important), and you will find that you will make great progress. I highly recommend that you record yourself, even if you don't share it. Listening, without playing, is a great way to discover areas that need to be addressed. Of course, getting a teacher is always a good idea.

On that note, here is my last upload for Book 1:

The Entertainer ( https://app.box.com/s/fqd4oqzdt00z34wtlg89 )

Thanks for the welcome Scorpio. I'll use the record myself tip.
                  currently Alfreds book #1
                  Hallet & Davis Co , spinet

#2141090 - 08/30/13 12:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
                  earlofmar Offline
                  1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
                  Scorpio

Very nicely played Scorpio, you have a nice smooth touch there. Congratulations on finishing book 1, quite a steep curve going from nothing to the end piece so well done. Book 2 has a few interesting and challenging pieces but by applying the practice skills and technique from book 1 should be no problem to you. I should say though I am still on a piece in this book - Chopin Etude, Opus 10 No 3 still eludes me. I do hope to record it soon though.

Barry1963

Welcome to the forum and to book 1 in particular. I would second Scorpio's advice.

#2141104 - 08/30/13 01:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: ajames]
                  PianoStudent88 Offline
                  3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
                  Originally Posted By: ajames

Do not lift fingers high, not even in Hanon. Those are outdated instructions from the original edition of Hanon. We understand more now about the biomechanics of playing the piano.

#2141244 - 08/30/13 08:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
                  scorpio Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
                  We understand more now about the biomechanics of playing the piano.

I recently purchased a book (arrives today) just on this topic. I want to be more aware of how the fingers, arms and body coordinate while playing the piano. More importantly, I hope to learn how to reduce tension and strain, and to avoid injury.

The book comes with terrific feedback and reviews:
                  What Every Pianists Needs to Know About the Body by Thomas Carson Mark

Yamaha P-155

Page 183 of 196 < 1 2 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
                    What's Hot!!
                    Our latest Issue is available now...
                    Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
                    -------------------
                    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
                    -------------------
                    Sharing is Caring!
                    About the Buttons
                    -------------------
                    Forums Rules & Help
                    -------------------
                    ADVERTISE
                    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
                    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
                    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
                    Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
                    Seiler Pianos
                    Sheet Music
                    (PW is an affiliate)
                    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
                    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
                    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
                    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
                    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
                    Who's Online
                    74 registered (barmassimo, beeboss, ando, barbaram, aesop, 19 invisible), 1177 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
                    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
                    Forum Stats
                    75602 Members
                    42 Forums
                    156326 Topics
                    2295912 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
                    New Topics - Multiple Forums
                    piano technician cost list
                    by ascc
                    08/01/14 01:36 AM
                    Liszt on Steinway A3
                    by Reno
                    08/01/14 01:35 AM
                    Roland RD800 initial impressions
                    by fizikisto
                    08/01/14 12:28 AM
                    Connected Slurs
                    by TX-Bluebonnet
                    08/01/14 12:17 AM
                    Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
                    by AB Forum Recital
                    07/31/14 10:17 PM
                    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
                    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
                    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
                    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
                    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission