2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 97 of 452 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Leon Shuffle
After spending about 5 days on "Tomorrow", I can finally play it near perfectly, which is MUCH better than I thought I'd be able to.

Great work Leon! It's always satisfying when you crack a tough tune smile

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Has anyone totally given up on a piece? I'm giving up on "Good People". It's just not working for me right now. I'm going to give "Little Brown Jug" a shot, and if I can't get that one in a reasonable amount of time, I'm just going to put my AIO aside for a while. I have other things that I can work on in the meantime.

BTW, I was surprised to have to hunt for this thread - I found it all the way down on page 4.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Has anyone totally given up on a piece? I'm giving up on "Good People". It's just not working for me right now. I'm going to give "Little Brown Jug" a shot, and if I can't get that one in a reasonable amount of time, I'm just going to put my AIO aside for a while. I have other things that I can work on in the meantime.

BTW, I was surprised to have to hunt for this thread - I found it all the way down on page 4.

Not in the AIO book. I had a difficult time with Good People as well, but eventually worked it out. It will probably be one of the few songs from book one that I will continue to play as I move on to book two. I am stuck on "Little Brown Jug" right now. It is not a favorite of mine (hate it!) and the fingering trips me up. Yesterday I slowed it down to as fast as I could sight read it (that should read sssloooowed) and was able to get through a couple of runs but it is a long way from the correct tempo - I know by next week it will be much better.

I think what we are going through right now stretches our ability to move our hands over longer distances quickly, and precisely. It is a more verticle step than we are use to but, in the long run we will be better for it... if not, then I will look back and wished that I would have thrown "Little Brown Jug" in the trash can cursing

mom3gram, I just recently decided I had enough of little brown jug. It's a challenge. I was able to play it through but not musically and certainly note up to tempo. Sometimes I think it makes sense to move on for the greater good. I find that I start to get frustrated then don't want to practice. If you do your best and you're not making progress, it's probably better to move on and come back to it at some later point.
This seems to be the part of the course where just about everything gets to be a challenge. I am struggling with O sole mio, Chiapenacas and Jericho. Jericho has one bar near the end that my fingers won't do, period. Some day....

Quick question for you all since I don't have a teacher yet. I'm up to Good People now but I'm not sure about some of the fingering when it comes to a sharp or flat followed by a white key next to it. For instance: In the 2nd measure there's a C played with the third finger followed by a C sharp and then a D. Should I be using 2 and 1 for the C sharp and D? Or 2 for both? Or something else maybe?

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Leon Shuffle
Quick question for you all since I don't have a teacher yet. I'm up to Good People now but I'm not sure about some of the fingering when it comes to a sharp or flat followed by a white key next to it. For instance: In the 2nd measure there's a C played with the third finger followed by a C sharp and then a D. Should I be using 2 and 1 for the C sharp and D? Or 2 for both? Or something else maybe?

I use 2 and 1 for the C sharp and D here- it works for me.

Sometimes you will slip off the edge of the #C note to the D with the same finger- in sort of a quick slur of the two notes. Not sure what that is called, maybe just a tie? But not here.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
An update; I'm on "The Stranger" in the All-in-One book.

Originally Posted by Carl Mc

I use 2 and 1 for the C sharp and D here- it works for me.

Sometimes you will slip off the edge of the #C note to the D with the same finger- in sort of a quick slur of the two notes. Not sure what that is called, maybe just a tie? But not here.

Thanks Carl. I guess it's up to what's the most comfortable.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
Okay guys. I must confess. Alouette on page 50 is fun to play! grin

Really, when I play that song, I have to tell myself, only one more time around. Then I end up playing it several more times. Just thought I'd say. cool

I also really like The Gift To Be Simple, and Alpine Melody. I've only made it as far as Alouette.

What are your favorite songs to play in book 1?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I really enjoy playing Scarborough Fair and Raisins and Almonds, they flow so nicely and feel like proper piano pieces. I play them every day! I'm sure The Entertainer will be a favorite too once I have it polished smile

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wish my version of the book had "Gift to be Simple". I like that song. I liked "Alouette" too.

Well, I haven't gotten as far as "Scarborough" or "Raisins", so my favorites would have to be "Standing in the Need of Prayer", "Cockles and Mussels" (I just like the sound of the chords), "On Top of Old Smokey" (because it's probably the first song played with broken chords and it's fun), and ..... don't laugh....."Blow the Man Down". Once I got the hang of it, it was really fun to play at tempo. I also like "Love Makes the World Go Round" from the supplemental Pop Songbook.

I hit a snag starting with "Good People", so I'm halting new progress in AIO while I work a few of my other books, but I will get back to it when I'm ready. In the meantime, I do play my favorites frequently.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
So far it has to be "Good People." I like the walking base line in the song. "Why am I Blue" and "Cafe Vienna" are favorites as well.
I am currently on "Little Brown Jug" and I am pretty sure it will not make the "Favorite List" smile

An update; I'm on "The Stranger" in the All-in-One book.

That looks like an active left hand!

What I find amazing is how much enjoyment these simple book one songs bring. Before I started, the thought of spending long hours with these tunes was a bit discouraging. Now, I look forward to each new song and page in the book.

The enjoyment must have something to do with the pride of getting it correct. When I nail one of these songs, it feels like a solid accomplishment along the road of learning. Its something real and tangible. It makes it worthwhile and drives me to continue.

It must be absolutely magical to play personal favorite songs, judging by the enjoyment these simple songs bring.

B
B
I'm still in a stalled out position and very frustrated. My shoulder is still hurting despite a week of piano rest. I'm thinking of going ahead and dragging out my daughter's keyboard, as I can adjust that ergonomically a little better than the piano, but we'll see. I sware if I could just stop the pain, I promise I would slow down and not try to do so much.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I wish my version of the book had "Gift to be Simple". I like that song. I liked "Alouette" too.

Well, I haven't gotten as far as "Scarborough" or "Raisins", so my favorites would have to be "Standing in the Need of Prayer", "Cockles and Mussels" (I just like the sound of the chords), "On Top of Old Smokey" (because it's probably the first song played with broken chords and it's fun), and ..... don't laugh....."Blow the Man Down". Once I got the hang of it, it was really fun to play at tempo. I also like "Love Makes the World Go Round" from the supplemental Pop Songbook.

I hit a snag starting with "Good People", so I'm halting new progress in AIO while I work a few of my other books, but I will get back to it when I'm ready. In the meantime, I do play my favorites frequently.

Popping in for a friendly reminder (and words of encouragement) you're all doing great but man, you have SO MUCH FUN to look forward to in book #2.

#1 is great and bases a lot of learning on the theory and technical aspects. You'll notice when you get to #2 that there are huge ups and downs (in terms of difficulty) but it's great. You'll go from favorites that are 1/2 a page in music to 1-2 pages!

Enjoy and keep up the great work thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

How about this version?

http://www.easybyte.org/simple/simple01.html

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Originally Posted by kennychaffin

How about this version?

http://www.easybyte.org/simple/simple01.html

One thing in particular with the arrangement in the Alfreds book is that, the notes are laid out such that the left hand moves positions. This is actually the first song in my book (Alfreds Basic) that introduces moving position. For me, its what made the song challenging when I first played it. It also adds to the fun of playing it. I don't see the easybyte.org arrangement moving the left hand.

Perhaps if the all in one book does not have this song, it has another with the intent to get the student moving the left hand?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by paradise5

One thing in particular with the arrangement in the Alfreds book is that, the notes are laid out such that the left hand moves positions. This is actually the first song in my book (Alfreds Basic) that introduces moving position. For me, its what made the song challenging when I first played it. It also adds to the fun of playing it. I don't see the easybyte.org arrangement moving the left hand.

Perhaps if the all in one book does not have this song, it has another with the intent to get the student moving the left hand?

Good point. I was just noodling around with that arrangement I linked to because I too really like that tune and noticing how it is all pretty crowded into the middle. smile

BTW They did not have the Alfred's books at the two music store where I check, but I have ordered it and looking forward to getting it and learning along with everyone.

Last edited by kennychaffin; 03/21/09 05:16 PM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Kenny. I'm going to print that one out.

I think the first song in the AIO book that had the left hand moving positions is Cockles and Mussels, which uses triads and moves the root note up one note every measure. I found it very fun to play this song.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Last night, I got to where I could play Good People, up to speed and with my eyes closed (which, oddly enough, I find easier sometimes). Today was the first day since I bought my piano (Jan 4th) that I didn't play at all. Hopefully, I didn't forget everything I've learned so far.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
Page 97 of 452 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission