2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 452 1 2 3 4 5 6 451 452
C
C
Thanks loly, you are a star!

Choppin' the keys

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!
S
S
Hello,
I’ve bought books of Αlfred’s Adult Piano course Level 1,2,3 but without CDs. Unfortunately here in Greece these books are sold without the CD. Is it possible for you to find a way to give me these Cds, for example by uploading them to the site rapidshare.com?

Many thanks, in advance!

The last 10-15 pages of book #1 are tougher than I thought, with different fingerings than Im used to with the C, middle C, and G positions. This really throws me off, and forces me to think about each note again. So, book two will have to remain on the shelf for awhile.

Have a nice day
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hi zoso,

have you trained yourself on reading by intervals? if not you might want to look into it not to undermine or discontinue reading notes (I learned to read notes first then intervals). If you learn to read by intervals you'll see that playing in any key will become easier.

once you get through book one you'll find book 2 to be very easy (well so far). I think book one builds a stronger foundation than you think and you should be pleasantly surprised when you get into book 2. laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
Loly, I havent learned to play by intervals other than the interval lessons in Alfreds, BUT, I cheat using intervals all the time! Or at least I thought it was cheating until you mentioned reading by intervals. Now Im curious. Heres what I sometimes do; With right hand, thumb on D, going from E to G with fingers 2and 4, sometime it will click in my brain as a third and I will skip a key as opposed to thinking 4th finger G. Like two different paths to the same note.
Now, if you think a different approach reading by intervale wouldnt hurt my alfreds progress I'd love to see how it works.

Have a nice day
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're hitting the notes with the correct finger without identifying the notes as being e or g then you're playing by intervals.

you're on the right track it takes practice. by the time you're done with book one you'll be doing it without even thinking. laugh

If you can read notes then concentrate on intervals from now on. My teacher stressed it almost every lesson until I started just doing intervals once I had my initial finger positions I read by intervals unless it was something that was too far up the keyboard.

It's kind of funny because it's true what they say about practicing. After a while you'll be doing things without even thinking and recognizing chords without thinking. One day you'll be sightreading and hit chords correctly without a thought and you'll get such a warm fuzzy feeling.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by zoso:
The last 10-15 pages of book #1 are tougher than I thought, with different fingerings than Im used to with the C, middle C, and G positions. This really throws me off, and forces me to think about each note again. So, book two will have to remain on the shelf for awhile.
I hear you...it is very slow going late in book one...I'm just staying the course and working hard. Every so often you get a small break through and move ahead...

Good Luck...

Mark

Are we all on the same page on what book were in? There are three different Alfred,s Basic Adult Piano Course series of books, one I just mentioned, one also entitled Play Piano Now, and an all in one book. I have the Play Piano Now series, spiral bound. I think it might be easier than the all in one book. Not that it really matters I was just wondering who has what and if anyone knows if a certain series would be better than the others.

Have a nice day
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Zoso, I'm in the 3 book series myself...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I thought I'd bump this up. I was rereading this thread and find it funny that I was complaining about a couple of songs that I now have under my belt and now have new problem songs. I guess its the nature of the beast...

So how is everyone doing in Alfred?

Mark

Mark, what songs are you working on now? Im going over the last twenty pages and am having trouble with Listen to the Mocking Bird. The end of the song is really cool with the right hand holding sixths and the left playing an arpeggio, sounds great together. Just got to smooth it out.

Have a nice day
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by zoso:
Mark, what songs are you working on now? Im going over the last twenty pages and am having trouble with Listen to the Mocking Bird. The end of the song is really cool with the right hand holding sixths and the left playing an arpeggio, sounds great together. Just got to smooth it out.
The Mexican hat and Solo meo are giving me a hard time. Probably because I just dont like the songs at all...

My goal now is to finish the book by the end of June. I think its doable if I can keep up my practice routine.

Mark

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OOOOO mexican hat dance. wheww I'm glad I'm over that but don't dismiss it totally cause book 2 has another mexican fiesta waiting for you guys. he he he he he

Wow, Im almost finished with the first book. Of the two songs left, Cafe' Vienna is just about under my hands but not up to tempo yet. This is one sweet little tune that I plan to memorize. So far the only one Ive memorized is A Gift to be Simple. How are you all doing?

Have a nice day
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by loly:
OOOOO mexican hat dance. wheww I'm glad I'm over that but don't dismiss it totally cause book 2 has another mexican fiesta waiting for you guys. he he he he he
Just great!! lol...I really hate that song...

I finished book 1 in September of 2005. I am currently about half way through book 2. This book doesn't get as much attention as it once did because I am taking my Royal Conservatory exams.
I think it's a great series for adult beginners.

Hi Bob G, I'm currently working on Linus and Lucy and was interested to see your comment on it. I am having the hardest time getting the tempo right so it actually sounds like Linus and Lucy! I can play the hands separately and it sounds great (I'll take your advice and not try that again), but put them together and it's a disaster. I type 90 wpm so you'd think maybe I would have been able to transfer that skill to the piano, but it never occurred to me to think of a piano as a typewriter. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try that and see if that helps.
Thx!

Carol
"You knew what a frightful girl I was when you married me. I did not deceive you, Sir."
B
B
Carol, maybe by now you "have it." If you can play "blow the man down" in the alfred's book, then you can do Linus and Lucy. After the intro(left hand) play with both hands but go extremely slow. The first three note with both hands are pretty much on the same time. Then hit the low C with the pinky, Then hit the EDC with the right hand as a triplet while playing the GC with the left hand. You will hear it. then from there it is all downhill. When you transition to the DAH DAH DAH DUMM , make sure you "cheat" and position your right hand where is goes so you are ready to thump it when moving the left hand over. I know this will help you and look forward to hearing your smile.

Bob
B
B
The second to last song in book one is entertainer, I thought I would post my recording in case there is anyone out there that is not familiar with the tune.

http://www.box.net/shared/mf1h5zkcl9

Bob
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Bob Griffin:
The second to last song in book one is entertainer, I thought I would post my recording in case there is anyone out there that is not familiar with the tune.

http://www.box.net/shared/mf1h5zkcl9
Nicely done Bob. I'm looking forward to it. I'm up to Green Sleeves and working on cleaning up pages 73-84

Thanks

Page 4 of 452 1 2 3 4 5 6 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission