2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 452 1 2 3 4 5 451 452
I haven't bought the discs. I feel a bit like that is cheating. Sort of akin to having my teacher play the piece for me and then playing it myself - which he won't do. If I can hear the rhythm playing it isn't the issue. Seems to me a big part of learning (at least if we are learning this way and not by ear) is counting things out slowing and figuring out how they sound. Especially since part of the goal, or at least mine, is to evenutally not have to take lessons and be able to pick things up and work them out for myself.

Any opinions???

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My opinion is I wouldn't categorize it as cheating and more like a helpful tool when you just can't get it right.

In essence everyone is different but we're all trying to reach a goal of learning to play the instrument.

I personally will try my best to figure it out but if I reach a point of frustration I will use the disc (I've used it twice by the way) or I will ask my teacher to play that section. I don't feel any less for having done so.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by loly:
I personally will try my best to figure it out but if I reach a point of frustration I will use the disc (I've used it twice by the way) or I will ask my teacher to play that section. I don't feel any less for having done so.
You link definitely helped. Hearing the song helped it click...

Today was one of those good practice days when you feel you made some progress. Some days you just shake your head and say &&^%%$$^@##@* :lol:

Mark

J
J
It is soooo good to hear from people who are "true" beginners, like me!

John Wisconsin
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by John WI:
It is soooo good to hear from people who are "true" beginners, like me!
Thats why were here John...welcome...

Are you in the Alfred book and hows it going?

Mark

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Well I finally connected with the teacher and did I get my butt kicked regarding timing...

After lots of practice the past few weeks I'm within 10 pages of completing book one. I had been stuck half way throuth it for months then something just clicked and shifting between the positions got a lot easier. Its hard not to race through the rest of it so I can start book two!

Have a nice day
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by zoso:
After lots of practice the past few weeks I'm within 10 pages of completing book one. I had been stuck half way throuth it for months then something just clicked and shifting between the positions got a lot easier. Its hard not to race through the rest of it so I can start book two!
Congrats!

Glad its just not me. I've been hanging arounf pages 65-75 for weeks and can't move on...

I'm looking forward to breaking though...

Keep us posted...

Mark

C
C
Does anyone know if I can get MIDI files of the songs in Adult Basic 1? Mine didn't come with a CD for some reason.

Choppin' the keys

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
choppin

give me a list of the 5 songs you will be working on including what you're working on right now and I'll post them for you.

after you've downloaded them I'll post another 5 and so on.

i need the names of the first five songs though because if you don't have the all in one course our pages won't match

loly

C
C
hey loly!

I have basic adult level 1.

Here are 5 songs I will be working on...

Mary Ann
Rockets
What Can I Share
When the saints go marching in
When the saints go marching in (LH and RH swapped)

It would be great if you can help me out. Thanks!

Choppin' the keys

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
okie dokie look for them sometime tonight. i'll have a link for you. glad i could help

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
loly, if you get a chance I could use chiapanecas the mexican hat dance.

Thanks
Mark

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Links to copyrighted material deleted.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Links deleted.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by loly:
chiapanecas

You are the best loly!!!

Links deleted.

G
G
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would post to this thread. I find this forum helpful and motivating.

I little history, I started January 2006, Schaums adult level one and learned the first 30 pages in 2 weeks. My instructor was way too slow and would not ramp up his sessions. After 3 weeks I bailed and went looking for another teacher. She started me on Alfred's Adult Basic Cousre book 2 only to challenge me and see how I would do. If it was too hard we would go to Book 1. In March, 06, I was laid off from work and spent 4-6 hours/day practicing for the next 6 months. My teacher ramped everything up including theory. It took 4 months to complete Book 2.
September, 06 working again but laid off December 22. Back to 6 hours/day practice.

I left her for a college level teacher last month. We started on classical stuff and heavy drills and Hanon while working in book 3, page 24 now.
I have memorized Bach's Menuet in G and Schumanns Frolicher Landmann. I did the Menuet in G at a recital and bombed. I was so nervous I don't remember playing the tune.

Besides book 3 I'm working on Bachs Preludium 1, E. Satie, Gymnopedie 1, Mozart's, Seranade [Eine Kleine Nachtmusik]. After these I'm going on to Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise.

I hope to play Canon in D and Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude at a friends wedding in September.

I'm looking to put together a group of adult students to hang out, talk about playing, playing for each other and maybe some cheese and wine. Maybe once a month. I live in the Pottstown area in PA. Anyone from that area and would there be any interest?

Ginger

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Gingerbaker:
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would post to this thread. I find this forum helpful and motivating.

I'm looking to put together a group of adult students to hang out, talk about playing, playing for each other and maybe some cheese and wine. Maybe once a month. I live in the Pottstown area in PA. Anyone from that area and would there be any interest?

Ginger
Welcome...the way you are practicing your next job will be a music teacher! To be in Book 3 so fast is excellent..congrats...

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Amazing work, Ginger! It sounds like you are having a great time and making wonderful progress.

Welcome to the forum. You can do a search in the community directory and see who is around your area from PianoWorld. You also might ask your teacher to make an announcement at any of the local organizations she's in. Certainly other teachers have adult students who would be interested in getting together.

Nancy

Estonia 168
Hi there everyone. New guy here. Going through this thread brought back some memories. I am also on the Alfred's Books and I agree with some of what you people have been saying about some song just bog you down, but others can come as easy as pie.

I am into the 3rd Book and I am into my 3rd year of piano lessons. My piano teacher has me playing the Adagio in A Major. Came real easy but thankfully it was slow in tempo. I'm still scared of the Metronome. smile

I'll have to keep reading through the forum.
Cheers. thumb

I search for perfect harmony. Because I know perfect timing will be forever out of my reach.
Page 3 of 452 1 2 3 4 5 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission