2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 104 of 452 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 451 452

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wrenn
I got all the way through book 1 and moved onto book 2 and did the first few pieces there. I didn't learn the pieces to any kind of performance level though, I was mainly rushing through them and trying not to memorize them so I could work on sight reading a bit more.

Now I'm back in book one and working on every piece to a solid level. So far I have made it to Chiapanecas without too much difficulty but I find this piece a bit trickier. I think in the latter half of the book my sight reading and playing skills aren't good enough so I have to start memorizing just the harder sections of the song in order to play them well.

I also found two areas I need to work on more, quick chords like the ending to Chiapanecas and repeating sections where you jump form one part of the music to another, I always tend to stop there.

I also think I need to stop listening to piano pieces on youtube, it just makes me impatient to rush again so I can play them ;-)

What Wrenn said.

I am right there- same song- same issues. Chiapanecas is tough. Trying to hit that high d note with the pinky is a pain.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wonderful Carl! I still have a ways to go to get through book 1 but as of just now I'm checking myself off on "Saints" as I can play it pretty much without error in the RH melody version and at least once without error on the LH melody version. I will move ahead but continue to practice this as I am Jingle Bells currently.

Hope everyone is having a great Easter Sunday!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
I'm still working on Chiapanecas too. I think it's the one from the book that's given me the most trouble so far. Although I'm making good progress now and should be able to play it pretty smoothly in a day or two.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
G
G
Originally Posted by Leon Shuffle
I'm still working on Chiapanecas too. I think it's the one from the book that's given me the most trouble so far. Although I'm making good progress now and should be able to play it pretty smoothly in a day or two.

Good for you Leon! I think I have it licked, but there is still a spot or two that trips me up.

Romolo, thanks so much for those music links! There's some great stuff on there! I saw Sheetmusicplus.com mentioned somewhere. I bookmarked this page from there awhile back and it's a chart that explains the different playing levels.

Sheetmusicplus playing levels

Mom and everyone, congrats on all you've accomplished! I'm going to be here awhile too, so you won't be here by yourselves...lol. I'm working on Jericho, etc. this week. It's a bit tough to get a lot of practice in during the week while watching a 2 year old, but I really make up for it on the weekends...no one sees me!

I received my Greatest Hits 1 & 2 this week and I really like them. Haven't looked at 2 very much yet, but book 1 is definitely a bit more difficult in the arrangements. I do enjoy working through them!

Well, back to practicing!

R
R
Thanks for the link Guinnie.
Wrenn, I totally agree with you. I find myself watching videos of people playing the piano on youtube and it makes me want to rush with my learning so I can play like them. That's not good...lol
But at the same time, seeing how well they play and how beautiful it sounds just makes me want to learn and practice even more.
Hopefully we can all play like this guy one day... smile
http://www.youtube.com/user/kylelandry

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
R
R
I forgot to ask Guinnie, where did you order your "Greatest Hits" books from? I only see Book 1 on amazon.ca. But I'd rather order both of them from the same site or store.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing your story Wrenn.

I made the same mistake rushing through the Alfred book. I am working in Book 1 again and supplementing my learning with lessons at the local Steinway Gallery (they opened a new location in Melville NY) which I attended a demonstration lesson by one of the piano teachers (he teaches adults and children). I am very pleased with my progress; I am intending to continue with private lessons with the teacher after the initial eight lessons are completed.

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
G
G
Originally Posted by romolo
I forgot to ask Guinnie, where did you order your "Greatest Hits" books from? I only see Book 1 on amazon.ca. But I'd rather order both of them from the same site or store.

Romolo, I did get them from Amazom. They arrived in two seperate packages so I assuming they came from two different vendors. I had trouble finding them too so I typed Alfreds Piano Greatest Hits Level 1, etc. in their search tool.

Hope this helps!

R
R
I always thought that "Lullaby" was a nice peaceful song...it's starting to give me a headache...ha ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I always thought that "Lullaby" was a nice peaceful song...it's starting to give me a headache...ha ha

It's kickin' ya huh?

You'll get it.

Kenny A. Chaffin
R
R
A lot of the time, I'll practice a song over and over again...and I won't get it...I won't be able to play it without making an error...but then the next day I'll go back to it and get it on the first try and it just seems so much easier than the previous day.
Does that happen to anyone else here?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh yes, my typical method of practice is to NOT overdo it. I'll work on parts (a phrase) or the whole thing for a bit, maybe a half-dozen times through, try it slower and faster and if it's not coming together leave it --- either go do something else of work on a different piece. Generally it is much better/easier when I get back to it.

Kenny A. Chaffin
P
P
A lot of the time, I'll practice a song over and over again...and I won't get it...I won't be able to play it without making an error...but then the next day I'll go back to it and get it on the first try and it just seems so much easier than the previous day.
Does that happen to anyone else here?

I suspect it happens to everyone. It certainly happens to me. Learning the piano (or any instrument really) requires neuro-kinesthetic pathways that don't exist before you begin trying to play. It takes time for these pathways to develop and ve reinforced by the brain. Once you practice something, the brain will continue to reinforce the neuronal groups that are associated with that action even if you are not physically doing the activity. This activity is especially active during REM sleep. Visualizing the activity also encourages this process. It may seem counterintuitive, but it is actually more productive break up your practice into segments of about 20 minutes at a time. Practice something different in each of these blocks of time. If you spend too much time working on one specific thing you risk becoming tense and reinforcing the wrong neural pathways.

For some interesting reading on this subject, check out Daniel J Levitins' book, "This is your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession"

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PridgNYC

For some interesting reading on this subject, check out Daniel J Levitins' book, "This is your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession"

Love that book! I'm just today at the "What makes a musician" chapter.

Kenny A. Chaffin
P
P
Originally Posted by kennychaffin

Yep, excellent book. I like the idea that 10,000 hours of practice, not talent, make a virtuoso. He discusses this concept in the chapter you are currently on. I'm currently up to about 500 hours on the saxophone (started last September) and 20 hours on the piano (started 2 weeks ago).

Last edited by PridgNYC; 04/13/09 04:32 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kennychaffin

Yep, excellent book. I like the idea that 10,000 hours of practice, not talent, make a virtuoso. He discusses this concept in the chapter you are currently on. I'm currently up to about 500 hours on the saxophone (started last September) and 20 hours on the piano (started 2 weeks ago).

Unfortunately I don't think I have that much time left. whome

Kenny A. Chaffin
P
P
LOL, I'm not sure I have that much dedication, that's like 10 years at 3 hours per day. Fortunately, my goals are not to be a world class virtuoso, I just want to be able to play a decent tune. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, yeah, me too. The only audience I hope to satisfy is myself. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ditto!

Also ditto on not having enough time left, and not having enough dedication. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I agree good sleep always helps to sort the music and memorize the movement for improved performance next day. They say if we don't sleep, we start to hallucinate because the brain hasn't sorted out the filing system.
Research has also shown that it is not going to bed at same time each night which aids sleep, but getting up at the same time each day, so that you naturally get tired when your body needs the rest. It took a couple of weeks for me, but certainly worked.

10,000 hours ? hmmm.. that means I could theoretically be a decent player before I get my pension...lol
I'm sure there will be pianos in heaven wink

oh well I need to slow down with the book...seeing posts which say the last pieces are harder, I'm going to stop where I am, Plaisir d'amour (4th last piece in my book), and just keep reviewing pieces till I finish my major scale and chords. Will probably order the greatest hits books next payday.

Page 104 of 452 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission