2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 120 of 452 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 451 452

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Zenobe
I did see your new Young Chang grand piano. It is beautiful and I think you found a great spot for it. I have always been impressed with the value, tone and action of the Young Chang pianos. It will make practice so much fun for you and your son. Congratulations!

Reached "On Top of Old Smoky" over the weekend. Still polishing previous pieces to some extent (especially Lullabye and BTMD), but if I aim for perfection I will never move forward. Also I'm trying to learn Wonderful World from the Greatest Hits book, and just getting started with scales in an Alfred's scales book.

Hope everyone had a good weekend... it's been raining off and on for 10 days here in southern New England. Ready for that to be over... smile

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I never wait for "perfection" either, because I would never achieve it. I do wait until I can play note perfect MOST of the time, and the piece sounds as smooth and musical as my limited talent will allow it to be. I continue to play older pieces along with the newest ones, and I also go back and review from time to time - starting from Blow the Man Down. I also have a few other books that I work from to keep from getting bored. So along with my Alfred Book 1, I occasionally play from:
Faber Adult Piano Adventures (haven't actually touched this one in quite a while)
Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1
and some sheet music from the free sheet music sites

Perhaps I would advance in Alfred's a little faster if I concentrated on it exclusively, but I enjoy the variety and I think it helps me learn better in the long run.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
You all probably know about this site but just in case..... musicnotes.com - they have a lot of sheet music for "easy piano", some with fingering. I just bought a few songs - you just pay and then print the music. I like it because I can buy the songs that I like and not have to buy a book just to get one song. I'm going to start "Somewhere over the Rainbow". Also, still working on Ole SOle Mio. I'll be working on that forever, I think.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That one is coming up for me soon, dee180, so if you have any pointers I would love to hear them. Still clunking out "Little Brown Jug" and working up "Chiapanecas". Having a severe thunderstorm now so I've unplugged my digital. Should probably unplug my computer also.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Probably the computer moreso than the piano!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
D
D
HI mom3gram - I wish I did have some helpful hints for you....I'd take them myself smile
I guess the biggest thing is not to get discouraged. It took me forever with the hated Little Brown Jug - now I can play it but I don't want to smile
I've moved on to Jericho which I find infinitely easier than LBJ, Chip, OSM.

I agree with you all that it gets a bit tiresome only working from the one Alfred's book, so I want to supplement with a few fun songs in parallel.

I wasn't aware of musicnotes.com until dee180 referred to it... when I went to the site I discovered that not only is it possible to transpose songs I like into an easier key before purchasing the sheet music, which is great, but even better, I can actually listen on-line to how it should sound when I play it, complete with notes that turn red when they are sounding... dang them internets is cool!

Yesterday I found a local music store that will let me practice on my lunch hours for free... now I don't have to squeeze in 5 minutes here and there into our busy evenings at home. Here's hoping that turns out OK. smile

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@Zenobe : Wow, I'm envious you can actually practice during your lunch hour! Fat chance of that happening where I work (we can't go outside and our company is in the middle of nowhere anyway). Not to mention that music stores are few and far in between in my country frown

As I thought, there were some things I wasn't doing quite right in 'Lullabye' and even with 'Cafe Vienna' but my teacher gently corrected me. Now it's much better. I got the go signal to continue so over the next week I'm planning to tackle "Joy to the World," "Cockles and Mussels," and "Got those Blues"! My teacher played some of the songs at the back of the Alfred book and now I'm even more inspired to work hard. The later songs sounded so much more fun and exciting (loved 'The Entertainer' smile ) I can't wait to play those songs!

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
M
M
When I first started the Alfred Book I would always warm up by playing all of the previous songs. This helped reinforce the songs and kept them fresh, but it started to take too much of my practice time.

I've since changed my strategy and only focus on the current song. The later songs are much more challenging and require quite a bit of time to master. I'm on Scarborough Fair now and definitely need the time investment to make this sound good. The pedaling on this song is tough for me.

D
D
Me too - I used to warm up by playing the songs in the beginning of the book but now that I am so far into the book, don't have the time.
Yes, the later songs are very challenging for me too and I have a really hard time trying to pedal and play at the same time - I find that I need to learn the piece first and then add the pedaling.
I'm on Jericho now and will be moving on to the next one at tomorrow's lesson.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Okay, I can now play "Little Brown Jug" with no mistakes, both with the music and from memory. It's still slow with some hesitations, so it doesn't sound all that musical (does LBJ EVER actually sound musical?) but I've got the notes down pat. Will continue to practice it until something better comes along.

I played "Chiapanecas" all the way through today - the first section error free, but the rest kind of stumbling.

I also tried several pieces from my friend's copy of Alfred's All-Time Favorites, Book 1 and I like this book better than Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook. I wish I had found this one first - I may have skipped the other two.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
Congrats Mom3gram on conquering LBJ and it sounds like Chiapanecas (how do you say that?) is coming along nicely.

I'm officially up to Got Those Blues, and have to say that is a fun song, not too hard, nice rythm. I was actually not looking forward to the Blues sections (the AIO has 3 back to back blues before getting to On top of old Smokey), but I've actually found the first one to be quite fun and it livens up the room, I catch my kids moving to the beat out of the corner of my eye, lol.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know how to pronounce Chiapanecas either. :-)

There are quite a few bluesy pieces in the later sections of Alfred. Some people love them, I didn't really care for them. To me they were hard to learn and I didn't really like the sound, even when played by someone other than me. But I worked through them because there were things in there that I needed to learn. I'm glad that you are having fun with "Got Those Blues". If you liked that one, you will probably like the others too.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Okay, I can now play "Little Brown Jug" with no mistakes, both with the music and from memory. It's still slow with some hesitations, so it doesn't sound all that musical (does LBJ EVER actually sound musical?) but I've got the notes down pat. Will continue to practice it until something better comes along.

I played "Chiapanecas" all the way through today - the first section error free, but the rest kind of stumbling.

[Linked Image]
Hi mom3gram, Nice job! Keep up the great work! [Linked Image]

I also tried several pieces from my friend's copy of Alfred's All-Time Favorites, Book 1 and I like this book better than Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook. I wish I had found this one first - I may have skipped the other two.

Since I've just passed the point in book 2 where it says that I'm now ready for "The Greatest Hits, level 2" book, I'm thinking about perhaps getting it. May I ask why you preferred the "All-Time Favorites, Book 1" better than the Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook?

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkInBayArea
I'm on Scarborough Fair now and definitely need the time investment to make this sound good. The pedaling on this song is tough for me.

One of my favorite pieces in this book, and I'm still playing it while I'm working on book 2. The pedaling was quite hard for me at first as well.

Keep on practicing, and you'll get it soon enough. [Linked Image]

Key Notes smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Key Notes

May I ask why you preferred the "All-Time Favorites, Book 1" better than the Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook?

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Well, it could just be a case of "the grass is always greener", but what I liked about "Alltime Favorites" was that it had some of everything - classics, oldies that I loved, hymns, and in general more pieces than the other two. Of course, every time I see another book I want it. :-) I'm just not sure that I really need another Alfred level 1 supplemental book, when I've only learned a few songs from each of the two books I already have.

P.S. I also have Bastien's "Religious Favorites", which has a ton of really nice hymns and have only scratched the surface of that one. I think I'm a book junkie. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Mom3Gram - BIG congratulations on LBJ!!!! That really was a tough one. (I still hate it) smile

wj3 Offline
I just bought Alfred's all time favorites and found that it has quite a few songs that are in Book two. So I am a little confused why it is graded level one. However with that said it has a nice selection of songs to learn. I think I will pick my next recital piece from it.

Last edited by wj3; 06/19/09 02:29 PM.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Key Notes

May I ask why you preferred the "All-Time Favorites, Book 1" better than the Greatest Hits or Pop Songbook?

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Well, it could just be a case of "the grass is always greener", but what I liked about "Alltime Favorites" was that it had some of everything - classics, oldies that I loved, hymns, and in general more pieces than the other two. Of course, every time I see another book I want it. :-) I'm just not sure that I really need another Alfred level 1 supplemental book, when I've only learned a few songs from each of the two books I already have.

P.S. I also have Bastien's "Religious Favorites", which has a ton of really nice hymns and have only scratched the surface of that one. I think I'm a book junkie. :-)

I see... not such a bad habit to have. Thanks for the overview mom3gram.

Sounds like you have a lot of varied options available at your finger tips (Oops, a pun, can be intended grin) to have a ton of fun with. That's really great!!! Perhaps sometime those selections and compositions are "greener"... [Linked Image]. grin Seriously, I'm trying very hard to prevent myself from catching the collecting-sheet-music-that-I-can't-play syndrome, especially at this very early stages of my learning. But I can however start collecting the ones that I can with a few added challenges of course, so I'll definitely stroll down to the music shop to take a closer look at them when I'm ready.

Thanks again and have a fabulous day!

Key Notes smile

Last edited by Key Notes; 06/20/09 05:19 AM.

Page 120 of 452 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission