2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 98 of 452 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 451 452
Well done everyone!
I have been lurking more than contributing lately, but I can tell you I loved playing "Scarborough" and then suddenly I turned the page one day and I had "The entertainer" there waiting for me... Wow, that was the strech, not because of the notes, but L and RH playing at different "tempo"? I don't know how to explain.. but you'll see....
Anyway after a few hours practise everything came together and I love it now!!!

By the way, BTMD is another of my favorites. Looks like pieces that made you work harder make you enjoy more later on.

Keep the work up!

Edit: Sorry! typo

Last edited by pixi; 03/22/09 04:51 AM.

All you need is trust... (and a bit of pixie dust!)
[Linked Image]
G
G
I too have been lurking more lately...hard to post during the week.

I just got to Good People today...yikes! I've progressed rather quickly since I just got the AIO a little over one week ago. I did have a bit of piano before, so that accounts for progressing so rapidly. But it's getting a little tougher and that's actually a good thing for me to now be outside my comfort zone.

I don't give up on pieces...not yet anyway. I figure that each piece is there to teach me something...regardless of whether I like the song or not. So, I try my best to work through them...and eventually everything clicks. Sometimes it does help to step away for awhile, but I always go back to practicing very refreshed.

Hang in there everyone!

Good People gave me a lot of trouble in the beginning. It took me well over an hour just to get the first couple measures down but after that it fell into place rather quickly and I really enjoy playing it, especially the "call and response" parts. I fell like an actual musician playing that part.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good People felt like a 70's sitcom jingle to me. I despised it at first, and shelved it. I returned a month or so later, and appreciated it quite a bit more. In retrospect, I wonder if the expertise jump between Good People and the pieces that preceded it was too great for me? I wasn't ready for it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I said that I put "Good People" aside, but I haven't totally. I can play the RH hand first two lines, and I do that several times each day to be sure to keep it in muscle memory. But every time I try to add the left hand, I totally forget the right hand. So I'm sort of just sticking with that - just playing the RH and every once in a while attempting to add the left. Maybe one day it will click, but I'm not going to stress about it.

I think it's a pretty big jump from the previous pieces, and I was definitely not ready for it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Mom,

Can you play the first couple measures, hands together, but VERY slowly? I had the same trouble you did playing one hand at a time but playing them together and as slowly as it took did the trick until I was able to build up speed.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Leon Shuffle
Mom,

Can you play the first couple measures, hands together, but VERY slowly? I had the same trouble you did playing one hand at a time but playing them together and as slowly as it took did the trick until I was able to build up speed.

Nope, I can't! That's why I decided to give up on it for now. Or at least I thought I did. But I keep going back to try it again. I don't know why I can't do HT - what are there, like 3 left hand notes in those first 2 measures? If I can play BTMD and Can-Can, surely I can play those first two measures HT. But I can't. Must be a mental block of some sort.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I'm actually going through the exact same thing now with the next song, "Little Brown Jug". Just the third and fourth measures, hands together, is kicking my butt.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Leon Shuffle
I'm actually going through the exact same thing now with the next song, "Little Brown Jug". Just the third and fourth measures, hands together, is kicking my butt.

grin

It has kicked my butt for two weeks. I got this done yesterday for my AAIO file - but I am still not happy with it. If I were my teacher ( oh, wait I am ) I would flunk me. I am going spend one more day (maybe two) on it to try and improve the tempo and then move on to "Chipanecas". Which by the way looks to be even more difficult shocked

"Little Brown Jug"
http://www.box.net/shared/7azqnvovs7

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Carl, not bad at all.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds good to me, Carl. I certainly wouldn't flunk you. Good luck with Chipanecas!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I'm going to go take another crack at "LBJ" (no, not the ex-pres.). I'm going to play for as long as it takes to get through it somewhat smoothly. It's 6:30 PM now, hopefully I won't be late for work tomorrow morning.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Leon- Good Luck!

I worked on the tempo of "LBJ" and revised my earlier post. It's not perfect but I am signing off on it and moving on. yippie

C
C
Hi,

I've been lurking for awhile on this thread and am working out of the Alfred's book too. I just had to come out of lurkdom to comment on "Little Brown Jug." I'm almost finished with it after hours of working on it. This song has been the most difficult song for me in the book so far. It's made me feel better to read about others having a hard time with it as well. I think one of the problems I have with it is that even when I get it right, I don't like the sound of it. I can't stand it actually. So I don't get the reward of hearing something beautiful when I do it well. No matter how well I play it, it still sounds ugly to me. I'm quite proud of myself for persisting with it as long as I have and not giving up. I think my husband is really sick of hearing it. Over and over and over and over....

Anyway, I've started working on the next two already and am doing better with them. The fingering on Chapanecas is a bit challenging for me but overall it's much easier than Little Brown Jug.

Kris

Originally Posted by Confuzzled

Anyway, I've started working on the next two already and am doing better with them. The fingering on Chapanecas is a bit challenging for me but overall it's much easier than Little Brown Jug.

Kris

That's good to hear. Although, I'm also using Alfred's "Greatest Hits 1" book, so after LBJ I'll be attempting "Rock Around The Clock".

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Confuzzled
Hi,

I've been lurking for awhile on this thread and am working out of the Alfred's book too. I just had to come out of lurkdom to comment on "Little Brown Jug." I'm almost finished with it after hours of working on it. This song has been the most difficult song for me in the book so far. It's made me feel better to read about others having a hard time with it as well. I think one of the problems I have with it is that even when I get it right, I don't like the sound of it. I can't stand it actually. So I don't get the reward of hearing something beautiful when I do it well. No matter how well I play it, it still sounds ugly to me. I'm quite proud of myself for persisting with it as long as I have and not giving up. I think my husband is really sick of hearing it. Over and over and over and over....

Kris

Hi Kris, Welcome.
I had to laugh when I read your post...I can't believe my wife hasn't thrown a shoe at me!I must have played this one 50 times in the last 3 or 4 days.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This will be silly for most here but I can almost, not quite, play Jingle Bells. Still working on those measures where the LH chord or note changes. It keeps bucking me off.

Last edited by kennychaffin; 03/25/09 09:46 PM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Jingle Bells was the first that I had trouble with.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I could never laugh at Jingle Bells, Kenny. I spent many days working on that one, and that's when my son bought me a set of headphones. I think he was trying to tell me something. (And to think of all the years of elementary school trombone practice I endured from both sons).

You will get it and be way beyond it before you know it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Does anyone else see that reading the music is easier than trying to remember it? When I was in grade school, I could remember the piece, now I need the music, but can play off of the notes. I remember my teachers could always read music easily, does this mean that a 40 year old is over the hill?

Does anyone else have problems remebering the music they just played off the sheet for the last hour?

Page 98 of 452 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission