2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 100 of 452 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 451 452
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
BarbVA,

Caution:Don't just drop a medicine as some medicines need supervision when dropping them. Ask me how I know?

A medicine I started in late September for anxiety gave me visual and aural hallucinations big time about 30 days later. I did not associate it with the new medication because it didn't develop immediately in the first month. My doctor referred me to a "psychitrist" which is a step I didn't think (and neither did my husband) I needed to take. I thought it might be a brain tumor, or a brain degeneration, stroke, or last of all, a reaction to medication. I also have a cervical neck strain a few years ago that plagues me still, and I wondered it this was a new dimension of it. I also have had migraine headaches, no pain, just vision distortion to the point it's best to go to bed.

It has been very difficult getting from 2 per day down to 1, and trying to get to 1/2 of one is still my target before getting off of them. Once off, we can evaluate if an anxiety meication is still needed, I think it will be.

I have had a lot of reactions to medications in my lifetime, and I know to be cautious, but this one has been out of control. Fortunately, when we reduced to 1 tablet, the hallucinations went away.

How do I find the referance you saw to Lipitor that said about pain, numbness and tingling. I have had that for years due to the accident with the cervical strain, but I have also been taking Lipitor before and since.

Are natural approaches including cinnamon and ginger and blueberries? I'm not sure. Do you have a list?

I think my anxiety is about the physical limitations I have and the reduction of being "normal" in the lifestyle I have enjoyed so much. Mine involve a cane when I go out, and the requirement that there be a place to sit nearby, and certain seating requirements of the chair itself. That is for my knees, hips and lower back; then there is my right neck, shoulder, arm to take into consideration.

If you think you have a resource to contribute please consider posting it, or if you wish, please PM me.

Best of luck and healing to you and the return to your previous enjoyments in life!

Betty

B
B
Betty, I'm going to PM you after I get some things together, since this isn't really piano related. It was actually a doctor (not my regular) that suggested this was the problem and I've since been overwhelmed with the information I've found.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh No! Good luck with that Barb! Hope you get results soon!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Barbva
Sorry to hear of your pain and hope you are feeling better soon.

Betty P - As a psych nurse and a person with depression (taking Rx) I can't agree more! Be careful with medication, and only change Rx under supervision.

Other than that - I have to thank you all on Adults Beginner's Forum for referring me on to the Alfred's all in one Piano course. I have returned to Piano after 15+ years and have been struggling. I'd already got to grade 3 AMEB, and grade 5 theory but I've had trouble with anything other than basic pieces as I am without a teacher. I decided to give the Alfred's books a go and I am so wrapt! If only I had been using these books years ago when I was doing theory - I would have understood the triads and probably would have got better marks on composition.

Since using the Alfred's all in one course, I've been identifying the chords in my other pieces and have a much greater technical understanding of my pieces.

Honestly, I couldn't rate it higher.

Shelly

Hi everyone - I'm fairly new to the forums and just taking up piano study since my kids are now out and on their own - I've been thinking about getting a teacher and maybe using the Alfred method - do you recommend both?

Thanks. PS

When you are aspiring to the highest place it is honorable to reach the second or third rank. Cicero
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
PeggySue, I used Alfred on my own for a year, and picked up lessons with a teacher a few months ago. She had me start on Alfred's Book 2, and we are having useful and productive sessions. Alfred's wasn't her first choice (she tends to go with Bastiens), but the method books themselves are merely a tool. The pieces and flow of topics are merely a framework to use, the real goal of lessons is to learn music (and, by extension, expressing music via the piano).

My suggestion would be to secure a teacher first, if indeed you intend to go that route. Then decide collaboratively whether a method book is right, and if so, which.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since Lavender's Blue was mentioned, I thought I'd jump ahead and give it a try. Wow, definitely some independence of hands/fingers there and working together. It's a much different version here in Alfreds than the one in the Bastien book which I played pretty much right away.

Kenny A. Chaffin
R
R
Woohoo...I can play "Blow the Man Down" perfectly now and at a good pace. I really thought I wouldn't be able to learn this...and that this would be the song that would make me quit. But I did it! smile

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
Well done romolo! thumb
Keep up the pace, you will find pieces like that one all the time.
BTW the word quiting should not be in our dictionary! We have a long journey ahead of us.

All you need is trust... (and a bit of pixie dust!)
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great Job Romolo! You're an encouragement to me.

Kenny A. Chaffin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Romolo! BTMD certainly didn't stop you for long.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
R
R
Thanks everybody...:)

Been a while since ive posted an update(and I need a break from practicing) so I figured I would post my progress. Got up to the blues section this past sunday, and my teacher wants me to learn Got Those Blues through Good People this week. Kinda freaked out because I have no idea how im going to get all those pieces plus the extras she has me doing(Minuet in G-Bach{on-going piece, learning measures 17-24} and 3 duets)

Anyone else get overloaded with too much to do? How do you handle it?

Last edited by Farkle; 03/31/09 08:54 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Farkle
Been a while since ive posted an update(and I need a break from practicing) so I figured I would post my progress. Got up to the blues section this past sunday, and my teacher wants me to learn Got Those Blues through Good People this week. Kinda freaked out because I have no idea how im going to get all those pieces plus the extras she has me doing(Minuet in G Minor-Bach{on-going piece, learning measures 17-24} and 3 duets)

Anyone else get overloaded with too much to do? How do you handle it?

Dude! I think you'e overloaded!

smile

Right now I am my own teacher so only push myself to do what I have time for, I've got the rest of my life to learn to play.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Good job on BTMD, Romolo! Being able to play something that gave you fits at first is the best part of this.

Right now, I'm so amazed I can play "Rock Around The Clock" from Alfred's Greatest Hits 1, that I can't stop playing it. For the first few days, I was constantly pausing between sections and just messing up in general, but now I've got it down pretty darn smoothly. Although, I have it memorized and if I try to read along, I have problems.

It's definitely been the biggest challenge me for so far and I can't believe I (mostly) conquered it. Next up in that book (before any more from the lesson book even) is "Beauty and the Beast". I don't know that song and something tells me I won't like it but I'll give it a go anyway because I figure the more you read and play, the better you get. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just tried "Beauty and the Beast" today myself. I was bored with the Alfred lesson book and looked through "Greatest Hits" to see if I could find something that looked interesting, and that's the one I chose. I know the song, because having 10 grandchildren, I've seen the video many, many times. I'm enjoying playing it. I hope you like it too. If not - well, you can always skip it and go on to a different one. "Greatest Hits" has a lot of really good songs.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Have you played any other songs from the Greatest Hits book? I'm just going by the suggested page numbers and playing them all as they come up.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
R
R
I've tried "Beauty and the Beast" too...It's somewhat hard but you just need to practice it and go slowly at first.
Maybe we could all play it like this someday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyhPxrchntM

G
G
Sounds like everyone's progressing nicely! I really need to pick up a Greatest Hits book. I shamefully admit that I skipped over Good People and went on to LBJ...I'll go back to GP this weekend. LBJ was actually much easier for me than I thought it would be and I'm now working on Auld Lang Syne.

Keep hanging in there everyone!

Page 100 of 452 1 2 98 99 100 101 102 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission