Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 191 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1070287 - 05/13/07 11:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
pennylane Offline

Loc: Louisiana
i just started the book..i'm on page 25. just seems like they way the put finger numbers and the letters on the notes messed me up a bit.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1070288 - 05/13/07 05:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Bob Griffin Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Marv, Lavender Blue was the first song in the book that made me feel like I was "playing" the piano. The notes sounded fuller and you could really pound it out and get "into" it. I think that's when my piano shopping began too.
Truth be know, I never noticed that repeat after measure eight too. LOL Keep plugging away all. Also "standing in the need of prayer" was one that I really loved.

#1070289 - 05/13/07 11:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Marv Offline

Loc: Jersey City, NJ
Mark737,

I have asked my piano teacher for some more "challenging" pieces that aren't in the book so she gave me some. At the same time I'm still gonna go through the Alfred's book.

Bob,

That's a great song. I think I want to learn that too in the near future. =) Went to see my piano teacher over the weekend and she liked my progress. She also gave me the Hanon finger excercise booklet. Looks like fun, although I've been playing most of the stuff in there by ear since I didn't have the book before. hahah
Dell 24" LCD
Logitech Z-5500

#1070290 - 05/14/07 11:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Marv Offline

Here's one song I printed from online. Practiced it for a few hours. \:\)

"Sonatina"
from Sonatina in C, Movement One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru5__cy6ZgE
Dell 24" LCD
Logitech Z-5500

#1070291 - 05/17/07 12:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by Marv:
Here's one song I printed from online. Practiced it for a few hours. \:\)

"Sonatina"
from Sonatina in C, Movement One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru5__cy6ZgE [/b]
Well done Marv...clean and smooth

#1070292 - 05/17/07 07:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Very nice Marv. Keep up the good work!!

Bob very nice as well, I loved it.

#1070293 - 05/18/07 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ok...here is a short song from Alfred book one to test my recording abilities...

Standing in the need of prayer page 46

http://www.box.net/shared/giejvvzz4s

Let me know how it recorded please.

#1070294 - 05/18/07 03:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Marv Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
Ok...here is a short song from Alfred book one to test my recording abilities...

Let me know how it recorded please. [/b]
Good job Mark737! Keep up the good work.

Recording sounds good to me. \:\)
Dell 24" LCD
Logitech Z-5500

#1070295 - 05/18/07 03:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:

This is great. I felt as much accomplished when I got my first mp3 made and sent to boxnet as I did when I thought I was ready to record my recital piece \:D Nice work.

Cathy

#1070296 - 05/20/07 11:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mario Ajero Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
 Quote:

Mark,
Your recording quality sounds fine.

Just a couple suggestions on the performance:

1. In the 4th full measure on the word "prayer", be sure to hold the E for the full 3 beats. I usually tell my students to sing (or say): "standing in the need of prayer - 2 - 3" while they play that.

2. You can make the eighth notes between the E and D# a bit smoother or more legato. The most common cause of this that I've seen in my students who have played this piece is that their 3rd finger plays on the E key too low. That forces the hand to keep moving back and forth so that the 2nd finger can reach the D# each time it alternates with the E. If you play your 3rd finger higher on the skinnier part of the E key, you'll be able to get a smoother legato between that note and the D# because your hand can stay up there for the whole phrase, "Not my brother, Not my sister..."

I hope that helps. Keep up the good work!

#1070297 - 05/20/07 01:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mario Ajero:
 Quote:

Mark,
Your recording quality sounds fine.

Just a couple suggestions on the performance:

1. In the 4th full measure on the word "prayer", be sure to hold the E for the full 3 beats. I usually tell my students to sing (or say): "standing in the need of prayer - 2 - 3" while they play that.

2. You can make the eighth notes between the E and D# a bit smoother or more legato. The most common cause of this that I've seen in my students who have played this piece is that their 3rd finger plays on the E key too low. That forces the hand to keep moving back and forth so that the 2nd finger can reach the D# each time it alternates with the E. If you play your 3rd finger higher on the skinnier part of the E key, you'll be able to get a smoother legato between that note and the D# because your hand can stay up there for the whole phrase, "Not my brother, Not my sister..."

I hope that helps. Keep up the good work! [/b]
Thanks so much for the advise Mario. I will use it. I have been a fan of your Pod-casts since I started a few months back. Loved the Coldplay riffs and watching your students do their teaching demos. I always check to see if you add new teaching segments.

Thanks again

Mark

#1070298 - 05/22/07 03:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
pennylane Offline

Loc: Louisiana
i do have a question, i've been reading that alot of people using this book with teachers say that this is supplemental to other material that their teacher has given them. My teacher goes just by the book and only by the book. It's a little aggrivating sometimes b/c she has me clapping the notes and it just seems as if my 30 minutes goes by and i didn't learn much. Am i wrong to feel that way?

#1070299 - 05/23/07 05:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
muziki Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
Wow! Iam really glad I found this forum.

I recently decided that I need to learn to play at least one musical instrument in my lifetime, so I walked into a piano store and asked for a book that can get me started. Alfred's Basic piano lessons was highly recommended and I have since then (2 weeks ago) started practising. So far I am doing good although I found out pretty quickly that I need the accompanying CD so I ordered it as well.

I just want to let you all know that reading your posts has been an inspiration for me...you are all awesome! I will keep you posted on how it goes and hopefully soon I will be able to contribute to this discussion as well.

Keep playin'

#1070300 - 05/23/07 07:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by muziki:
Wow! Iam really glad I found this forum.

I recently decided that I need to learn to play at least one musical instrument in my lifetime, so I walked into a piano store and asked for a book that can get me started. Alfred's Basic piano lessons was highly recommended and I have since then (2 weeks ago) started practising. So far I am doing good although I found out pretty quickly that I need the accompanying CD so I ordered it as well.

I just want to let you all know that reading your posts has been an inspiration for me...you are all awesome! I will keep you posted on how it goes and hopefully soon I will be able to contribute to this discussion as well.

Keep playin' [/b]
Welcome muziki glad you found us. There are many of songs that you will be learning in this thread, so use them to help yourself. Keep us posted and feel free to ask questions. Most importantly be patient with yourself. It takes time to progress. Some days you will get frustrated but remember with practice, you will succeed. And let the practice be fun, because practice is playing the piano...

Mark

#1070301 - 05/23/07 07:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pennylane:
i do have a question, i've been reading that alot of people using this book with teachers say that this is supplemental to other material that their teacher has given them. My teacher goes just by the book and only by the book. It's a little aggrivating sometimes b/c she has me clapping the notes and it just seems as if my 30 minutes goes by and i didn't learn much. Am i wrong to feel that way? [/b]
Have you spoken with your teacher about what you stated above? Communication is the key. Tell the teacher what you want. Your actually in charge...

#1070302 - 05/25/07 07:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Cille Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
I ordered my level #1 book the other day from amazon and can't wait to start learning - I have played rythmical/chord based piano for several years but really need to boost my technique and I also really feel like getting to know the piano better even though it's not my primary instrumient. Am so glad I found this thread, since I can imagine I could end up slacking a bit on my own - so I am really looking forward to participating in this part of the forums once I get started \:\)

#1070303 - 05/25/07 09:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mario Ajero Offline

Cille,

You might want to find other material to supplement Alfred if you already have a "chord based" piano background. Alfred is very centered on the primary chords (I - IV - V7) especially in the first book.

If you're looking to build up technique and reading, you may want to look at something like a sight-reading series.

I might recommend "Sight Reading & Rhythm Every Day" by Helen Marlais with Kevin Olson, and published by FJH. They contain sight-reading examples that aren't necessarily in a C Position, G position, or Middle C Position (since Alfred focuses on that in the first book). The Marlais book also contains more bass clef/left hand sight reading examples, and that's something that I think the Alfred Course lacks (at least in the first book). The Marlais book also contains daily rhythm exercises that you should clap or tap out. Of course, most of the material from the sigh-reading books is most effective when you do it with an instructor to give you direct feedback on where your weaknesses are.

I hope that helps.

- mario

Quote:
Originally posted by Cille:
I ordered my level #1 book the other day from amazon and can't wait to start learning - I have played rythmical/chord based piano for several years but really need to boost my technique and I also really feel like getting to know the piano better even though it's not my primary instrumient. Am so glad I found this thread, since I can imagine I could end up slacking a bit on my own - so I am really looking forward to participating in this part of the forums once I get started \:\) [/b]

#1070304 - 06/01/07 07:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yesterday started working on Amazing Grace with my teacher, which is the last song in book one...

It's a little tricky to learn but it will be nice to graduate to book two...

#1070305 - 06/01/07 10:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

very nice Mark, \:D made me want to play it again.

Nice feedback from Mario, very fresh. I have the sightreading books he talks about. Move to Jacksonville fl mario, I need a new teacher \:D

#1070306 - 06/01/07 12:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loly:
very nice Mark, \:D made me want to play it again.

Nice feedback from Mario, very fresh. I have the sightreading books he talks about. Move to Jacksonville fl mario, I need a new teacher \:D [/b]
If you have seen him play and seen his you-tube videos you would drive to Texas each week for lessons... ;\)

#1070307 - 06/02/07 09:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mario Ajero Offline

Thanks loly and Mark737 for the kind words.

Actually, if you guys are interested in a little experiment, I would love to give you a few long-distance piano lessons.

I'm doing some presentations at the National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy on podcasting, long-distance learning, and YouTube videos.

So what I'd like to try is to teach you guys through YouTube. For example, make a video of yourselves playing a piece (i.e. Amazing Grace) and post it on YouTube. Then I would post a video response giving you feedback on certain things that you could do to improve it. And then after you've worked on those things, then you post another video response to my video. And we continue this cycle further if necessary.

If you feel a bit self-conscious about playing in front of a large internet audience on YouTube, there are ways that we can keep all these videos 'private' so that only we will be able to view them.

Let me know if you guys are interested in participating in this long-distance YouTube private lesson experiment.

#1070308 - 06/02/07 02:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thanks loly and Mark737 for the kind words.

Actually, if you guys are interested in a little experiment, I would love to give you a few long-distance piano lessons.

I'm doing some presentations at the National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy on podcasting, long-distance learning, and YouTube videos.

[/b]
I'm not that brave. I'm sure we will have a few people interested. Thanks for the offer Mario

#1070309 - 06/03/07 02:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Perplexed Offline

Loc: Hawaii
My first lesson was yesterday, and I survived it relatively unscathed. To my pleasant surprise, the book the teacher is using for me is none other than Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course (Level 1)

In the short amount of time during the lesson, starting from the very beginning, I progressed up to page 12, with my only real error happening on the "repeat" marker (I accidentally went back to the beginning of the second line of the song, instead of the very beginning).

At home later that night and today I did a little skipping ahead in the book, going page by page from where I left off, making sure to practice each piece until it's error-free and played at a relatively good tempo.

It was smooth sailing until page 36, where the G and D7 chords are introduced for the right hand. While my teacher did show me proper finger and fingertip placement, I'm unable to figure out a comfortable hand position for that right hand D7 (1>F#, 4>C, 5>D) chord without using fingernails or a sore hand (or finger 2 for that F#, which isn't right).

I know I should be waiting until next Friday for my next lesson and ask my teacher then, but I'm impatient. What's the secret to playing that right hand D7 chord without getting cramps?

#1070310 - 06/03/07 06:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

that sounds like fun Mario. I'm looking for a teacher right now and I'm hoping to start lessons in two weeks. I've been without lessons now for 2 weeks and I'm getting antsy.

I'm on book 2 of Alfreds and book 2 of fabers and my supplemental material is arabesque and although I was working on the first page of arabesque, I stopped completely 2 weeks ago when I had to fly to VT and get my new pup. I'm going to start that one again when I get my new teacher.

I'll talk to my husband today and teach him to video tape me or I'll see if I still own a tripod. \:D Somewhere in the deep recesses of my closet.

#1070311 - 06/03/07 09:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perplexed:
My first lesson was yesterday, and I survived it relatively unscathed.

In the short amount of time during the lesson, starting from the very beginning, I progressed up to page 12,

At home later that night and today I did a little skipping ahead in the book, going page by page from where I left off, making sure to practice each piece until it's error-free and played at a relatively good tempo.

It was smooth sailing until page 36, where the G and D7 chords are introduced for the right hand. While my teacher did show me proper finger and fingertip placement, I'm unable to figure out a comfortable hand position for that right hand D7 (1>F#, 4>C, 5>D) chord without using fingernails or a sore hand (or finger 2 for that F#, which isn't right).

I know I should be waiting until next Friday for my next lesson and ask my teacher then, but I'm impatient. What's the secret to playing that right hand D7 chord without getting cramps? [/b]
Congrats on the first lesson!

You will find that you can move fairly fast through the Alfred book up until around the 55 page mark and then things slow down. (At least for me and many others who have been using the book). In fact I probably spent 4-6 weeks on the first 55 pages and then 3-4 months on the next 40 pages. So if your pace slows down don't get discouraged, the pieces get increasingly more complex as you forge ahead. But it means you are getting better.

Since I'm not a teacher I will leave the D7 question to someone else, but maybe some hand exercises might help. Speak with your teacher.

Keep up the hard work and keep us posted. You can even record some of your pieces and upload them here...

Mark

#1070312 - 06/03/07 08:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
bigbeardale Offline

Loc: PA
 Quote:

So what I'd like to try is to teach you guys through YouTube. For example, make a video of yourselves playing a piece (i.e. Amazing Grace) and post it on YouTube. Then I would post a video response giving you feedback on certain things that you could do to improve it. And then after you've worked on those things, then you post another video response to my video. And we continue this cycle further if necessary.

If you feel a bit self-conscious about playing in front of a large internet audience on YouTube, there are ways that we can keep all these videos 'private' so that only we will be able to view them.

Let me know if you guys are interested in participating in this long-distance YouTube private lesson experiment. [/b]
Hi Mario,
I would like to try this too if you don't mind, although I am only half way thru book one. Can you explain how to keep them private? Do you have a email that we can use too?
Thanks,
Dale

#1070313 - 06/04/07 12:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dale you can keep them private, when you post it up to youtube it'll have a form you have to check off and one of the check off's is to keep it public or private.

I made a bit of progress, I found my tripod but was in bed with a stomach bug all day yesterday and today I had to call off work because im still feeling poorly.

my tuner is coming today so hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to post something.

#1070314 - 06/05/07 12:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
ninja8701 Offline

Loc: El Paso, Texas
I'm a little confused on the Alfred Adult piano lessons book #1. Is there a version with and without a cd? Or is the CD the one with Alfred's Adult piano lesson for windows? We have yet to find an instructor but are looking to supplement Alfred with one.

#1070315 - 06/05/07 08:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ninja, the Alfreds adult all in one course comes with or without a cd, you have to do a search and find the one with the cd. here's a link to it

http://www.allegromusiconline.com/Mercha...egory_Code=AAOA

#1070316 - 06/05/07 09:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
ninja8701 Offline

Loc: El Paso, Texas
Ok, I ordered it this morning with CD. That's a neat site too. Thank you.

Page 6 of 191 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (Atrys, antony, accordeur, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, 35 invisible), 1397 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153514 Topics
2249592 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
6 minutes 38 seconds ago
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission