2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 452 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure what you're asking Pete.

Depending on what key the music is played in the fingering is going to be different.

Most music you buy will have fingering in it for you, sometimes you have to insert your fingering in some places on the pieces and you figure it out the more you've taken lessons.

For instance you'll automatically know when to do thumb under sometimes to get the fingers further up on the keyboard according to the music played.

I'm still not sure what the question is but as I mentioned most music you run into will have the fingering outlined.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by Pete105:
I got a HUGEEEE Questions about this book, I am on London Bridge, in and around page 57 (intervals of 6ths coming up next). But I look down the book (Can Can etc) and it seems like there is different fingerings for every song after...where does all this tie in??? I think between 70 and 75 will be tough!

Is this something my teacher will be showing me or what (different finger positions etc)?
Pete, are you asking if you play a note, say C, with a different finger from another piece?

If that's your question, then the answer is yea. Don't think of a finger "owning" a key. Depending on what you just played and what you will play next, the fingering may be different for notes from song to song.

Once you get the hang of it, it is not a problem, and as you play more and more, you don't even notice....

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh I hope you weren't thinking that only certain fingers play certain keys as gmm1 mentioned laugh . No such thing with the piano.

That kind of thing is true for the flute, recorder and tin whistle, those kind of instruments but for the Piano anything goes if I could use my toes I would. he he he he

Sometimes I have to figure out my own fingering in some situations and you have to do it logically by seeing what the highest note is in that measure will kind of tell you what finger to use for that first note and use thumb under if necessary and stretches etc.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
P
P
Thats exactly what I am asking smile So a finger doesnt own a key (like I said I am sure Ill learn this in my next lesson hehe I am just curious). I am on lonstar waltz now in the book...and from what I see the positions are all totally different from all the previous songs.

It's going very slow now. On about page 99 or so with Cafe Viena and Lullaby (don't have the book in front of me so I may have mispelled). Does it get slower as you progress towards the end?

Kawai RX2/Yamaha Digital YPG625
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by ninja8701:
It's going very slow now. On about page 99 or so with Cafe Viena and Lullaby (don't have the book in front of me so I may have mispelled). Does it get slower as you progress towards the end?
yes...I was doing a piece a week on average unless it just clicked and then once in a while two pieces. The pieces get longer as the book progresses too...

If your doing other stuff like side pieces that will slow you down too.

Originally posted by Mark...:

If your doing other stuff like side pieces that will slow you down too.
Indeed it will. After polishing up Greensleeves I decided to go outside the book and work on Bach's Minuet in G. It looks pretty easy, so I thought "What the heck." I worked on the first section (page 1) for a few days and was very pleased with myself for getting it "under my fingers". I proudly played it for my teacher. Now, I've got all kinds of work to make it more musical. I'll work on Scarborough Fair simultaneously but I'm guessing to really play the Minuet well will take a bit of time.

I've written it before, but it's worth repeating: There are things you (at least I) learn from a teacher that might never pick up on your own.

Bosendorfer 225
Bluthner Style 9 (Model 4)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pete105:
I got a HUGEEEE Questions about this book, I am on London Bridge, in and around page 57 (intervals of 6ths coming up next). But I look down the book (Can Can etc) and it seems like there is different fingerings for every song after...where does all this tie in??? I think between 70 and 75 will be tough!

Is this something my teacher will be showing me or what (different finger positions etc)?
Hi Pete,

This is something that I've been grappling with recently too. Once you get away from the beginner books it's common to have to work out fingering for yourself, and there are always several options. Not everybody will finger the same piece in an identical way.

For instance, I have some simple versions of songs that I can play on guitar, so I want to try them out on piano. But no fingering is shown on the scores.

As others have said, on some instruments it's pre-set - each finger always performs the same task. Either that, or there are general rules or guidelines to suggest which finger plays each note, or covers all the notes across each fret.

But on piano you need to make many more decision about which finger to use on each note, and when to change hand position for a while. Sometimes it's no more than a simple extra stretch and at other times it's a complete change of hand position. It seems that the most effective choices can depend on your hand size, general skills, and even musical style.

I was struggling recently with working out the fingering for what had been a very simple piece on guitar - a basic melody line for Loch Lomond - and asked a friend for advice. The problem was that no matter which position I started from, the same logic and 'scale style' fingering would always collapse at some point, either going up or down, depending on the way the notes followed each other. It was intriguing to note that (despite her undoubtedly advanced skills) she still spent a considerable amount of time experimenting with a variety of possibilities before she settled on the one she felt was most efficient, and suited her best. I eventually ended up using something similar, but still a bit different.

There are lots of little tricks and twiddles, and although there are probably a great deal of of wrong ways, there can also be more than one 'right way'. For instance, another experienced teacher told me that if you need to play the same note more than once in succession it often pays to change fingers. I think his reason on that occasion was more to doing with control, expression or smoothness of playing, but it certainly fixed my 'change position' problem with Loch Lomond. I was able to play the same note in quick succession with different fingers, and my hand was then set up to avoid what had been a problem further along the line. But there are always opportunities to move your basic hand position for as long as needed. It feels a bit odd at first, but you soon get used to it.

Cheers,

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by SHPiano:
Originally posted by Mark...:

[b] If your doing other stuff like side pieces that will slow you down too.
Indeed it will. After polishing up Greensleeves I decided to go outside the book and work on Bach's Minuet in G. It looks pretty easy, so I thought "What the heck." I worked on the first section (page 1) for a few days and was very pleased with myself for getting it "under my fingers". I proudly played it for my teacher. Now, I've got all kinds of work to make it more musical. I'll work on Scarborough Fair simultaneously but I'm guessing to really play the Minuet well will take a bit of time.

I've written it before, but it's worth repeating: There are things you (at least I) learn from a teacher that might never pick up on your own. [/b]
Thats why I'm totally dedicated to finishing Alfred and do minimal side work. Since I've taken this approach my progress in Alfred has increase markedly...and hopefully my piano skills

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well my book arrived today so I'm starting right from the very basics. Anyone else out there starting from scratch?

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi BazC, Welcome, We all started from basics here on Alfred's and many thanks to Mark for starting this thread. If you meet problems as you progress through Alfred's just post it here and you will be overwhelmed with advice.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After a year and a half of mostly theory lessons, I am taking a break from lessons due to financial and time constraints. So I guess it’s back to Alfred’s for a while!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Crusader, I'm probably going to need all the help I can get! laugh

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
After recommendations from people around here I placed an order with amazon.com for the first 3 books. I know I don't need more than the first one right now but I'd hate to get through the first one in a year or so then order the next one and find they changed the cover or what have you. I'm a stickler for things matching if they're in a set.
MULLY

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BazC:
Well my book arrived today so I'm starting right from the very basics. Anyone else out there starting from scratch?
Yep me laugh
Got books 1 & 2 (inc theory) so 4 books for Xmas so I intent to open them up this week now work has died down a little..

Good luck

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TTigg:
Yep me laugh
Got books 1 & 2 (inc theory) so 4 books for Xmas so I intent to open them up this week now work has died down a little..

Good luck
Cool! Good to know I'm not alone laugh best of luck to you!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Thats why I'm totally dedicated to finishing Alfred and do minimal side work.

Thanks Mark, In the absence of a teacher I was in need of guidance, for an objective, I'm going to adopt the same policy.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by crusader:
[b]Thats why I'm totally dedicated to finishing Alfred and do minimal side work.

Thanks Mark, In the absence of a teacher I was in need of guidance, for an objective, I'm going to adopt the same policy. [/b]
I enjoy adding a piece a week and watching the book come to an end. By March, I should be hitting book 3...

Book one Dec 2006-June 2007
Book two June 2007-March 2008
Book three March 2008-probably close to a year...

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I may have mentioned earlier in this thread that the pedaling, more advanced pedaling, is the thing holding me back from finishing book 1, and I don't won't to move onto Book 2 until I've squeezed the last drop of knowledge from Book 1. Reading The more advanced pedaling is sort of like reading another stave/line of music.

Which brings me to the pedaling shown in "O Sole Mio", bars 4,5,6&7, I feel the pedal is held down too long, I think it sounds better if the pedal is lifted off after the first chord(C7) beginning bar 5, applied again at the first chord(C7)in bar 6....I could be wrong...again.

Originally posted by crusader:
I think it sounds better if the pedal is lifted off after the first chord(C7) beginning bar 5, applied again at the first chord(C7)in bar 6.....
Hiya, I've tried it a few times both ways, and hear what you mean. It is also the only place in the score where the pedalling is carried across bass clef rests. I think pedalling as you suggest accentuates the melody in those 3 notes. Nice one.

just my 'alfpenny worth smile

Page 26 of 452 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission