2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 132 of 452 1 2 130 131 132 133 134 451 452
O
O
Each arpeggiated chord is indicated by a wavy line. If the line extends from the bottom of the bass cleff up to the top of the treble cleff (as in O Sole Mio), then it is a single arpeggio, meaning that all notes are played in succession.

If there are 2 wavy lines, one only spanning the notes on the bass cleff, and one only spanning the notes on the treble cleff, it means that there are two simultaneous arpeggios. Both hands would start at the same time.

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, oudeis, that makes a lot of sense. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Q
Q
Does anyone have a listenable version of Auld Lang Syne? It looked much easier than Chiapanecas so I decided to start with that instead, but I don't think I've ever heard this song, unlike most others in the book. I see there's many on youtube, but the Alfred versions are often a bit different, sometimes simplified or with a different tempo so they don't make me a 100% sure if I'm doing this right. Still in early stages and though and just started getting the lH down, but this one looks easier than the jug and chiapanecas at least.

So I don't suppose anyone gave it a recording when passing through it? :p

B
B
Well, I guess that settles it then. Thank you oudeis, not sure why i didnt pick up on that. O Sole Mio arpeggio line goes all the way through, and later on when i got to songs like Over the Rainbow the arpeggio lines don't connect. I think this is 1 thing that was never specifically stated in the book, unless i somehow missed it.

I can finally play "Singing in the Rain", so I got 2 more songs to go before I finish the book... although I think when I am done I will go back and review some of the other songs, see if i can still play them before I buy book 2.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@Quagles: Sorry I don't have a recorded version of Auld Lang Syne (I'm planning to buy a midi-to-USB cable this month for recording purposes though), but Auld Lang Syne is such a familiar carol sung during the holidays. You've probably heard of it before without realizing it. You're right - that song is somewhat easier than LBJ and Chiapanecas. But I recommend that you don't skip out on those 2 songs entirely because they prepare you for jumping around a bit more on the keyboard, and later pieces do require more jumping around. I find the hard part of Chiapanecas is just the first 1/4 of the piece, then the rest is quite easy so hang in there. Back to Auld Lang Syne - just play it slow, and don't forget to COUNT. I think the Alfred version is a bit on the slow and mellow side compared to other versions so you really need to count the beats evenly so it doesn't come out all hurried in places.

Speaking of counting, I've been slacking in counting all throughout the piece these past few weeks and my teacher did catch uneven rhythm in a few places so I have to slow down and 'befriend' the metronome once again XD I'm currently working on Raisins and Almonds while polishing up Scarborough Fair. What's frustrating me about Scarborough Fair is that it isn't even really hard (I was able to pick it up quite easily), but I keep on making these stupid bungling mistakes x_x Argh.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
K
K
I had my first piano lesson yesterday - we worked on Go dowm, Moses. I could play it pretty well, or so I thought. What a difference in dynamics! Plus we started using the pedal. Mostly I'd either concentrate on pedaling right and forget all about the dynamics or do a nice dynamic but forget to pedal, or to my embarassment manage to hit the wrong key and totally lose my place in the song. I'm sure it'll get better. ( I hope it'll get better soon) On my own I started Raisins and Almonds and I love love love this song. I hope to make it much more musical too. It's one of my favourites in Alfred's.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know what you mean about the pedal. For the first several months I had an inexpensive keyboard with no pedal. I had already learned several pieces in Alfred would have used the pedal. Then I got my digital piano with stand and three pedals. I had already passed the pieces with beginning pedal, and had trouble adding pedal to the new pieces, so I had to go back and relearn some of the easier "pedal pieces". I still feel uncoordinated when using it, and it does make me make mistakes in other areas when I concentrate on the pedal. I need to take a day each week to just play some of the older "pedal pieces".

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
how about these tied notes? do you play them twice? or just ignore them the second time. It says to hold down for the combined amount, do you just let go when you get to it or do you play it again?

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Quagles
Does anyone have a listenable version of Auld Lang Syne? It looked much easier than Chiapanecas so I decided to start with that instead, but I don't think I've ever heard this song, unlike most others in the book. I see there's many on youtube, but the Alfred versions are often a bit different, sometimes simplified or with a different tempo so they don't make me a 100% sure if I'm doing this right. Still in early stages and though and just started getting the lH down, but this one looks easier than the jug and chiapanecas at least.

So I don't suppose anyone gave it a recording when passing through it? :p

"Auld Lang Syne"
http://www.box.net/shared/pi7kvcn2a7

Quagles,

Here is my "Auld Lang Syne" It is pretty true to form with the exception that I played broken chords in the left hand instead of triads. So, hopefully it will not be confusing to you.

In looking back I realized I did not post my "Rasins and Almonds" and it was one of my absolute favorites.
"Rasins and Almonds"
http://www.box.net/shared/8m2b4ohy4u

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bobjr
how about these tied notes? do you play them twice? or just ignore them the second time. It says to hold down for the combined amount, do you just let go when you get to it or do you play it again?

I believe the standard rule is to hold it for the combined number of beats (for 2 half notes tied, hold the key for the duration of 1 whole note).

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello there book #1 peeps! [Linked Image]

I just thought I'd pop in and give you all a pat on the back and thumb

It's kind of "spQQky" (in a good way) to see people just starting out on their journey of playing the piano. Keep it up, some great stuff in here. Before you know it you'll have recital medals under your signatures and will be flowing through #2 and onwards to #3.

Just wanted to stop in and say HI...
[Linked Image]
SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
B
B
Thanks for the responses... my main issue is I find it hard to determine whether or not I am looking at a tied note? It seems some notes are being played and some are not... I am pretty confused now.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@bobjr: tied notes have curved lines connecting them. Also, it can only be a tied note if the the consecutive note is the the same as the previous one (same pitch). If there is a curve but the notes are different pitches, it's called a slur, where the notes are played connected (legato).

B
B
So basically the syncopated note has a tied note attached to it that does not get played. Anytime you see the curved lines on the same pitch even with a cord.. all that means is just to hold it down for 1/4 beat more or whatever the case may be. I was playing it wrong this whole time, but it didn't start to sound bad until I guess I am going to have to start over, at least I can play all the songs I just have to make sure to leave out the extra notes that i was putting in.

K
K
Carl Mc, thank you for posting your recordings. I loved them. Raisins and Almonds is my favourite, but you are playing it slower and much more musical than I am so far. I need to work on that (i've only started it a couple of days ago)

Auld Lang Syne sounds great with broken cords, I'm going to try that when I get home today. Thanks for an idea.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Auld Lang Syne sounds great with broken cords, I'm going to try that when I get home today. Thanks for an idea.

Thank You, I like the broken cords as well... it gives it a "music box" quality.

C
C
I just bought Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course (Level 1) yesterday. I had no idea that I was buying such a popular book! I hope to be starting piano lessons in the very near future, so I figured I'd get ahead of the game and do some reading while I wait for my digital piano.

I look forward to joining you guys in here once I get going. It's great to see that there is a lively community here.

Well I had my first piano lesson Wednesday night. I am paying for an extra 20 minutes tacked on to the end of my son's weekly lesson.

My teacher said that the Alfred's and other adult books maybe move too fast, and she assigned me some easy pieces from a Faber level 2A kids book. Lots of funny little pictures and simple melodies.

But she said by all means keep up Alfred. She just wants to make sure I didn't rush too fast getting to where I am in AIO Book 1. (I'm up to O Sole Mio, having just finished Good People, Chiapenecas, and LBJ.)

She also has me working on two-octave scales, which feels a bit more grown-up to me.

On the other hand she was very complimentary of my hand position and the feeling in my playing, and said that I have natural ability and really should stick with it. Part of that I'm sure is to get me to stick with the lessons, but it felt good to be validated.

Have a great long weekend everyone ---

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
B
B
Does anyone know where i can listen to someone playing "Laura".. I saw some clips on Youtube, but they are mostly very advanced players and they don't seem to be playing this simplified version. Thanks.

"Blow the Man Down"

AAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh..

Everything was going so smoothly until this one frown

Just how frustrating can you get. I've been doing so well in the 5 weeks since I started, but this one has me stumped more than any other so far.

Page 132 of 452 1 2 130 131 132 133 134 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission