Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 18 of 191 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1070647 - 01/08/08 04:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
Hi BazC, Welcome, We all started from basics here on Alfred's and many thanks to Mark for starting this thread. If you meet problems as you progress through Alfred's just post it here and you will be overwhelmed with advice.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1070648 - 01/08/08 04:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
After a year and a half of mostly theory lessons, I am taking a break from lessons due to financial and time constraints. So I guess it’s back to Alfred’s for a while!!

#1070649 - 01/08/08 05:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks Crusader, I'm probably going to need all the help I can get! \:D

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1070650 - 01/08/08 06:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mullyman Offline

Loc: Japan
After recommendations from people around here I placed an order with amazon.com for the first 3 books. I know I don't need more than the first one right now but I'd hate to get through the first one in a year or so then order the next one and find they changed the cover or what have you. I'm a stickler for things matching if they're in a set.
MULLY

#1070651 - 01/09/08 02:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
 Quote:
Originally posted by BazC:
Well my book arrived today so I'm starting right from the very basics. Anyone else out there starting from scratch? [/b]
Yep me \:D
Got books 1 & 2 (inc theory) so 4 books for Xmas so I intent to open them up this week now work has died down a little..

Good luck

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1070652 - 01/10/08 12:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
Yep me \:D
Got books 1 & 2 (inc theory) so 4 books for Xmas so I intent to open them up this week now work has died down a little..

Good luck [/b]
Cool! Good to know I'm not alone \:D best of luck to you!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1070653 - 01/10/08 02:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thats why I'm totally dedicated to finishing Alfred and do minimal side work. [/b]

Thanks Mark, In the absence of a teacher I was in need of guidance, for an objective, I'm going to adopt the same policy.

#1070654 - 01/10/08 02:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by crusader:
Thats why I'm totally dedicated to finishing Alfred and do minimal side work. [/b]

Thanks Mark, In the absence of a teacher I was in need of guidance, for an objective, I'm going to adopt the same policy. [/b]
I enjoy adding a piece a week and watching the book come to an end. By March, I should be hitting book 3...

Book one Dec 2006-June 2007
Book two June 2007-March 2008
Book three March 2008-probably close to a year...

#1070655 - 01/14/08 03:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

I may have mentioned earlier in this thread that the pedaling, more advanced pedaling, is the thing holding me back from finishing book 1, and I don't won't to move onto Book 2 until I've squeezed the last drop of knowledge from Book 1. Reading The more advanced pedaling is sort of like reading another stave/line of music.

Which brings me to the pedaling shown in "O Sole Mio", bars 4,5,6&7, I feel the pedal is held down too long, I think it sounds better if the pedal is lifted off after the first chord(C7) beginning bar 5, applied again at the first chord(C7)in bar 6....I could be wrong...again.

#1070656 - 01/14/08 07:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by crusader:
I think it sounds better if the pedal is lifted off after the first chord(C7) beginning bar 5, applied again at the first chord(C7)in bar 6..... [/b]
Hiya, I've tried it a few times both ways, and hear what you mean. It is also the only place in the score where the pedalling is carried across bass clef rests. I think pedalling as you suggest accentuates the melody in those 3 notes. Nice one.

just my 'alfpenny worth \:\)

#1070657 - 01/14/08 03:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
SHPiano Offline

Loc: S.Central Texas
FWIW: When I played O Sole Mio for my teacher she had me pedal much more freqently than is shown in the music--basically at every chord change or when the right hand is stepping down or stepping up with every note. I think the piece sounds much better this way (less muddled) and it's forced me to improve pedalling to boot.
Roland FP7
Yamaha EZ30

#1070658 - 01/14/08 10:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jimjjin Offline

Loc: Texas
Ahh this book is great, I kind of got stuck but I still progress.

#1070659 - 01/15/08 01:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ahh this book is great, I kind of got stuck but I still progress.[/b]
Welcome Timestopper, Where have you got to in Alfred's...are you stuck at the moment?

#1070660 - 01/15/08 12:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
RayMetz100 Offline

Loc: Everett, WA
I added my first recording to my signature. It's the first song in Alfred Basic Adult Piano Course "Greatest Hits" book. I'm trying to learn the Titanic theme song next. That seems easier than the second song, Edelweiss, to me.

I'm really struggling with "Blow the Man Down!" getting my right and left hands to work differently. I'll get it eventually though. Having some other Alfred books like greatest hits to try while I'm stuck on a song in the main book really helps.

#1070661 - 01/16/08 02:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi RayMetz100, I think everyone struggles on "Blow the Man Down", the way I tackled it was to practice for 10 minutes then go away from the piano for a half hour then back to practice, I don't know why not playing helps in playing. Strangely, the pieces later on in the book are much easier, I've just been playing "Raisons & Almonds" a really easy piece.....including putting the dreaded pedal in.

#1070662 - 01/16/08 08:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jimjjin Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey crusader, I'm not really stuck, I kind of got stuck on "The Marine Hymn" but I eventually got past it. Right now I'm doing "Little Brown Jug", the dynamic changes are somewhat hard to do, but I shall still progress!

#1070663 - 01/31/08 10:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by BazC:
Well my book arrived today so I'm starting right from the very basics. Anyone else out there starting from scratch? [/b]
You're way ahead of me. I only decided this evening to go out and purchase this book at my earliest convenience. It won't be my first book, exactly, as I have just completed my daughter's Schaum Green book. But I won't make it far before encountering new material.

Yes, I will be visiting this thread often. Thanks in advance for all the help I am sure to need.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1070664 - 01/31/08 11:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Kdana Offline

Loc: Henderson, Nevada
Hi Everyone!

I started Alred's All In One about 2 weeks ago - I'm up to page 36 - trying to focus on taking it slow. I've had my digital for about a year now and haven't made any progress. I've been writing the notes on relatively easy music and then memorizing. I've stopped doing that - I really want to be able to read the music and play without looking!

#1070665 - 02/01/08 02:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Turleyfan and Kdana, good to have you on board! I'm finding it hard not to rush past the boring stuff in Alfred, some of the tunes are painful! Still when I get too fed up with them I find something on the Web to work on. I'd like to find a collection of Christmas carols, not too basic, not too difficult so I can have a bit of a repetoire for next Christmas. Might have a look round some music shops at the weekend \:D

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1070666 - 02/01/08 12:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Hey, BazC and Turleyfan, I just ordered the book too, so I will be starting it with you. I move really s_l_o_w though, so I'm sure you will leave me in the dust shortly.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1070667 - 02/01/08 02:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

Looking back through this thread, it's almost like there are new waves of freshman classes beginning at various intervals.

mom3gram, don't count on my leaving you in the dust. I am truly a never-ever, with about three weeks' experience. But I had some light bulbs go on when I was helping my daughter through her book, so I hope they will carry me through the first few pages of Alfred's.

Just to be clear (this goes to Kdana, BazC and mom3gram), you are going through the Adult Piano Course Book One, is that correct? Not the All-In-One? (I haven't bought mine yet, just making sure I am getting the right one...)

Casio Ap-200

#1070668 - 02/01/08 02:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Good luck everyone. Remember its a marathon not a race. And enjoy the views as you travel...

#1070669 - 02/01/08 02:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Turleyfan, I ordered the "all in one", but I think they are basically the same course. It looks to me as if the regular Adult Piano Course Book one has the lessons and songs, and you can supplement with the Theory book and the Technic book that go with it. The "all in one" combines all three of these, and I would imagine condenses it somewhat. But people on here using both book 1's seem to be doing the same songs and lessons with slightly different page #'s.

In the meantime, I'm finishing up a Bastien's Primer level book for kids, and I ordered the Level 1 too, just in case I get too stuck in the Alfred's. Here's hoping I won't though, because the song list on Alfred's sounds like MUCH more fun than the little kiddie tunes made up special for the Bastien exercises.

I just started a few weeks ago too, and I seem to need to repeat lessons many times before I can play them without too many mistakes. (And this is with the kiddie book). So I know you guys are going to leave me in the dust eventually, but it's okay. I'm not in any hurry.

#1070670 - 02/01/08 07:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turleyfan:
Just to be clear (this goes to Kdana, BazC and mom3gram), you are going through the Adult Piano Course Book One, is that correct? Not the All-In-One?[/b]
Yup, that's the one I'm working on!

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1070671 - 02/02/08 12:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Kdana Offline

Hi turleyfan -

I'm working on the All-In-One but I think mom3gram is correct - they are very similar.

#1070672 - 02/02/08 01:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Kdana Offline

Hi BazC!

I found this on sheetmusicplus.com - "Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course - Merry Christmas Book (Level 1)". Just search for "Alfred's level one" and I think it brings up all of the Alfred's books on our level \:\)

About Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course - Merry Christmas Book (Level 1)
(Easy Solo Arrangements with Optional Duet Accompaniments) Arranged by Dennis Alexander. Songbook for easy piano and voice. Series: Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course. 31 pages. Published by Alfred Publishing. (AP.17385)
ISBN 9780739009802. With easy piano notation, fingerings, lyrics, harmony part (for the teacher) and introductory text. Sacred. 9x12 inches.

These collections by one of our most popular composers are full of easy solo arrangements of favorite Christmas carols for adults who are studying Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course, Books 1 and 2. Each selection will bring enjoyment and inspiration to lift holiday spirits!

Contents:
Away in a Manger
Deck the Halls
The First Noel
Good King Wenceslas
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Jingle Bells
Jolly Old Saint Nicholas
O Christmas Tree
Once in Royal David's City
Silent Night
Up on the Housetop
We Three Kings of Orient Are
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
What Child Is This?

#1070673 - 02/02/08 04:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kdana, that looks brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot! \:D

Korg SP200, Pianoteq

#1070674 - 02/02/08 06:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

My update... went to Borders and Barnes and Noble, and came up empty. Last stop was the local music shop, where I should have gone in the first place. I picked up the all in one book, and have spent a couple hours with it this afternoon.

I made it all the way to Jingle Bells without spending too much time on anything. Jingle Bells requires a little more LH / RH cooperation than my daughter's Schaum book did, so it is going to take me a little while to get smooth with it.

I have already learned a great deal. I am surprised how quickly the book moves into intervals and chords. And I am unpleasantly surprised how useless my LH is at this juncture.

Casio Ap-200

#1070675 - 02/02/08 07:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on getting your book, turleyfan. Have fun with Jingle Bells.

I know what you mean about that left hand. I came to a LH note today and my mind went blank. So I tried to figure it out from the notes next to it, drew a blank on those too. Started to panic. I KNEW all those notes yesterday. :-( I'm working with my homemade flash cards now.

Hoping my book comes soon.

#1070676 - 02/02/08 11:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
I started the alfred book Dec 4 and am only on page 54 or so. Its going slow and its gonna be slower this next 5 weeks or so as I am on the road again.
Man this is going slow. On the other paw I have been looking at some other sheet music sometimes. Espcially when I get bored bored bored.

its good to know I am not the only rank beginner. Real rank at this point. I really stink at this. I just want to get to the point where I can play passibly so I can get on the carillon keyboard in 2 months or so and not make a fool of myself.
How much music theory do we really need???I slept thru music theory classes in high school.

cindy

Page 18 of 191 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1491 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153616 Topics
2251444 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
32 minutes 43 seconds ago
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
41 minutes 40 seconds ago
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
Today at 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
Today at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission