Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 16 of 191 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1070587 - 11/06/07 03:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I've been trying to learn by myself how to play piano for the past 6 months. I am working on "The Entertainer" and "Amazing Grace" now. I was pretty happy with myself with my playing level because with my busy work schedule and my 1 year old kid son, I was not able to allocate much time for any of my other activities including practicing.

I am also reading some technique books. With the information I get from those, I feel I did quite Okay with my work with Piano. I was highly motivated with those.

But when yesterday when my wife wanted to make a video of my playing after my 1 hour practice session, I made a lot of mistakes hitting wrong notes. Of course, she laughed at me and was making fun by saying "Hey you were practicing all time and you are not even able to play a single piece properly". That hurt me a lot and now, I am low on confidence.

I am really at the end of the world. In my whole life, this is the only activity I enjoyed. I love music.. especially classical and new age music a lot. How do you guys achieve perfection? Please pour me some advices to play pieces perfectly all time. \:\(

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1070588 - 11/06/07 04:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Well done with reaching the end of Book 1 in six months with restricted practice time! I started in February. I don't seek perfection but strive to play competently within my current level whilst working on those pieces which will hopefully move me forward. I still make oodles of mistakes, particularly when aiming for a faster tempo and when recording myself and even more so when others are within hearing. It's as though knowing I have an audience turns my fingers into fumbling digits disconnected from the brain. I think {hope!} it is not uncommon. I think it's called red dot fever.

If I may offer a couple of female thoughts on your wife's comment. Does she appreciate just how important this is to you? Perhaps her comment was a loving teasing. I bet your practice session was better than the recording so perhaps she offered to make the video out of pride in your accomplishment. Lastly - a one year old - can take a heck of a lot out of a mum if they have been with them all day. I know mine did.

Amazing Grace is, in my opinion, a leap in difficulty over the other Book 1 pieces. Don't be too hard on yourself. Look back on that recording in six months or a year and I bet your thoughts will be more like Wow, haven't I come a long way. I find a confidence boost when I play some of the earlier pieces I've worked on and find where once was difficulty now it's easy.

Look forward to seeing you in the Book 2 thread.

#1070589 - 11/06/07 05:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
pevawi Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by Vijay:
Please pour me some advices to play pieces perfectly all time. \:\( [/b]
Honest answer is: you never will.. there is always room for improvement. But no despair! You can play to your own satisfaction. That everything fails when recording it is something we all suffer from (some worse some less) but that will become better as well. The key is to keep learning, you will advance to next levels playing more difficult music and when you go back to the "simple ones" you notice how easy they've become. Sure you will make mistakes but you be able to repair them and the next time you play the song they are gone. Look at it this way: you study at level 5 and be able to play with ease level 3 (these are just random numbers to give you a idea).

To overcome the red-dot syndrome there is only one cure: do it regularly and it will become less of a obstacle.

Just don't worry.. keep trying!! And don't let anybody convince you otherwise than: Piano playing is fun (period!) and practice does make perfect!

#1070590 - 11/06/07 07:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
vijay, hang in there and don't let anything or anyone bring you down.

The piano is one of the most difficult instruments IMO besides the Oboe to master. I think your wife just doesn't know how much is involved in learning an instrument. Sitting her down with you might give her an understanding.

First of all you're reading music on 2 staffs, your brain expects you to read these 2 staffs at once, while your hands are doing 2 completely different tasks from each other. In addition you have to know how to read music, know phrases, counts, tempo, and make your fingers land on the keyboard comprised of 88 keys.

Pat yourself on the back for accomplishing this against all odds, and don't feel bad about making tons of mistakes. I go into mistake mode as soon as my record button is turned on.

On mastering the piano, well it's possible but playing with no mistakes whatsoever is virtually unheard of.

when you make mistakes you just continue as if nothing ever happened. Concert pianists make them all the time but know how to cover them up.

good luck and welcome to Piano world.

#1070591 - 11/06/07 07:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Vijay, six months with limited time is very fast to progress through book 1. Maybe too fast.

Sometimes it takes a long time to play pieces clean. I finished book one in June and I'm still cleaning up Amazing Grace and the Entertainer as well as others. So you are not alone. Just keep practicing and as time goes by you will play cleaner and cleaner.

Mark

#1070592 - 11/06/07 12:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
 Quote:
But when yesterday when my wife wanted to make a video of my playing after my 1 hour practice session, I made a lot of mistakes hitting wrong notes. Of course, she laughed at me and was making fun by saying "Hey you were practicing all time and you are not even able to play a single piece properly". That hurt me a lot and now, I am low on confidence. [/b]
I've suffered from that from time to time but treat it as part of your practice routine, playing in front of an audience, even just your wife, is preperation for things to come, just close off of your mind and concentrate on your playing, just ignore the obtuse comments, that's what I did when I played classical guitar too. A friend of mine used to play guitar in Folk Clubs and had to withstand constant mindless heckling from the audience...I still dont know how he kept his temper. Anyway, if your on Amazing Grace you've left me behind, my practice schedule has been interupted, for various reasons, several times since I started in June and I'm just breaking out of O Solo Mio.

#1070593 - 11/06/07 02:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
VJ. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Guys! Thank you for all your replies. I am very pleased to have so much support from these many people. I think I feel Okay now. Whenever I am down, I will check some posts in this forum for boosting my confidence. And, it helped this time too. Let me keep up my spirits.

I, very much agree with Crusader, with the fact that there will be a lot of critism from people for any artist. Why should I be an exception \:\) . Thanks for reminding me that, Crusader.

Mark, well, I thought I was progressing slower than other people. While I started, I rushed at times. Eventually, I learnt it is not possible to learn to play in short period. Hence I slowed down and practice most of the pieces in the book during my daily practice sessions. Though I am working on the last 2 pieces, I keep working on all other pieces too. While doing so, I learn my earlier mistakes and feel satisfied figuring it myself. I also feel 6 months is a bit fast. So planning to hang around with Course 1 up until for one more month atleast and get confident with each and every piece before moving to next one.

Oxfords Gal, you lined out the fact about Piano Learning. Yes, I totally agree with you. Man, it is tough but enjoyable and self-satisfying. Why should I let it down myself. Let me work on my playing ignoring all distractions. Thank you very much for your inspiration.

Pevawi, I always wanted to spend more time for practice. Let me organize my time on a whole. I think that should help me achieve near perfection. As you said, I felt the ease on the earlier pieces. I will keep doing it and increase my practice duration.

Sundew, I totally understand my wife's situation and I don't take her criticism or teasing so seriously. It just hurt me for that moment. The last thing I want was discouragement. I can very well take the criticism if it is somewhat constructive. But I believe I just love her too much to take it lightly. I will learn to ignore things like these affecting my spirits.

I got enough encouragement and inspiration from you guys to keep practicing. Thank you all.

#1070594 - 11/07/07 02:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
SHPiano Offline

Loc: S.Central Texas
Another Alfred's Beginner.

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this board a while and figured it was time to post. About a month ago, I started what I hope will be a life-long journey in piano-playing.

Some background. I'm 41. I've never played piano before, but I did play sax and a bit of oboe between the ages of 11 and 14. Looking back on it, I never really felt inspired to learn and I definitely felt that I never made a true connection between music theory and music playing. At the same time, I've always loved music of all sorts and have always admired those who can play.

About 2 years ago, my two eldest children began taking piano lessons with a wonderful teacher. She started them with a "traditional" approach. Somehow she sensed that they would do better with Suzuki and switched them to that method about 8 months ago. They have really flourished using Suzuki--especially my 9-year old son who seems to learn and play effortlessly. In turn, I was inspired to try to learn.

So, a little more than a month ago, I bought the "Teach Me Piano USB Kit". It combines music teaching software with a MIDI to USB cable. I also purchased a copy of Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Piano Course (Book 1) along with the CD and the MIDI disks. I've been working through the TMP lessons as well as the Alfred's. In a strange way, they go well together. The TMP lessons have emphasized rhythm and a more extensive use of the right hand, while the Alfred's has had more theory and hands-together. They both end with pretty similar versions of the "Entertainer". What's really terrific about the TMP program is that I can load the MIDI songs/sheet music from Alfred's into the TMP "Songbook" and listen to and practice them that way. The TMP sofware lets you practice a piece by focusing on just the rhythm, just the notes or both together and also let's you practice hands seperate and hands together! When you practice, the software starts a little metronome and follows along with the music. At the end of segment or song it'll grade you and tell you where you need work (e.g. "in measure 4 you played an extra note."). You can speed up or slow down the metronome as well.

So, I've been using TMP (and Alfred's) on our little digital piano and then go and practice what I've hopefully learned on our new (to me) Bluthner grand. [I've also been trialing Earmaster Pro to work on my pitch recognition. It's a pretty cool but tough program].

Anyway, I'm about half-way through the TMP lessons. On the Alfred's side, I've just started Lavender's Blue and Kumbaya. I've taken one lesson with my kid's instructor and will try to take them as often as possible. Unfortunately with my schedule, I'll be lucky to see her once every few weeks. I'm trying my best to put in at least an hour of practice every day that I'm home.

What I find so strange (magical almost) is how one day you can be really struggling with a new piece (thinking that you'll never get it) and then the next day it just seems to fall into place as if it were always a snap. This phenomenon has happened a couple of times already and has motivated me to keep practicing even when it seems impossible.

Of course, this forum has also been an invaluable resource on many different levels. So thanks everyone for your posts and encouragement.
Roland FP7
Yamaha EZ30

#1070595 - 11/07/07 03:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SHPiano:
Another Alfred's Beginner.

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this board a while and figured it was time to post. About a month ago, I started what I hope will be a life-long journey in piano-playing.

What I find so strange (magical almost) is how one day you can be really struggling with a new piece (thinking that you'll never get it) and then the next day it just seems to fall into place as if it were always a snap. This phenomenon has happened a couple of times already and has motivated me to keep practicing even when it seems impossible.

Of course, this forum has also been an invaluable resource on many different levels. So thanks everyone for your posts and encouragement. [/b]
Welcome SHPiano, it looks like you have a great plan on learning piano.

As for those magical moments, I like to call them growth sputs. They really do keep you motivated.
But its just the reward for practice...

So when you get a chance upload some of your work and join our quarterly recitals...

Mark...

#1070596 - 11/17/07 11:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
SHPiano Offline

I've been trucking along as best I can. I was out of town last week but I've been practicing whenever I can. I've finished "Lavender's Blue", "Kumbaya" and "Blow the Man Down" and I've started the "Lone Star Waltz" and the "Lullaby." "Blow the Man Down" is certainly tricky and I will probably continue to work on it especially to smooth out the right hand while keeping the left staccato and softer.

I had my first real lesson today. I played a few of my pieces. My teacher and I've decided that she'll focus her efforts on technique and skill development. For example, today we worked on playing the right hand in "Standing in Need of Prayer" more legato and working the crescendo and decrescendos of the phrases into and overall approach for the piece. In short we worked on the musicality of it.

I've also been working through the lessons on Teach Me Piano. However, for now I think I'll probably focus on the next few Alfred's pieces and a couple of others (a simplified Moonlight Sonata and a simplified "Christmas Time is Here") I've always liked.

Now that my Bluthner's all tuned up, I'm feeling pretty good. The Moonlight in particular sounds great even though I've only got a few measures under my fingers.
Roland FP7
Yamaha EZ30

#1070597 - 11/18/07 12:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I've been trucking along as best I can. I was out of town last week but I've been practicing whenever I can. I've finished "Lavender's Blue", "Kumbaya" and "Blow the Man Down" and I've started the "Lone Star Waltz" and the "Lullaby." "Blow the Man Down" is certainly tricky and I will probably continue to work on it especially to smooth out the right hand while keeping the left staccato and softer.

I had my first real lesson today. I played a few of my pieces. My teacher and I've decided that she'll focus her efforts on technique and skill development. For example, today we worked on playing the right hand in "Standing in Need of Prayer" more legato and working the crescendo and decrescendos of the phrases into and overall approach for the piece. In short we worked on the musicality of it.

I've also been working through the lessons on Teach Me Piano. However, for now I think I'll probably focus on the next few Alfred's pieces and a couple of others (a simplified Moonlight Sonata and a simplified "Christmas Time is Here") I've always liked.

Now that my Bluthner's all tuned up, I'm feeling pretty good. The Moonlight in particular sounds great even though I've only got a few measures under my fingers. [/b]
If you are playing the D minor version of Moonlight you will really like it. And on your Bluthner it will be outstanding. It took me a few months to get it down and it could still use some work, but it a fun full piece to learn. Its one of my keeper songs...

#1070598 - 11/28/07 01:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Flat7Blues Offline

Loc: PA
 Quote:

Now that my Bluthner's all tuned up, I'm feeling pretty good. The Moonlight in particular sounds great even though I've only got a few measures under my fingers. [/b]
I am up to Lavender'sBlue also. New at keyboards, but I did a lil guitar when I was younger, so I can read the treble clef pretty well. Bass clef is tripping me up here and there, but hope to get it down. Trying to learn without the teacher for right now.

#1070599 - 11/28/07 11:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
SHPiano Offline

-7:
Welcome! I think Lavender's Blue was the first piece that really sounded like music to me.

I just started The Can Can yesterday and I think it's coming along reasonably well--certainly faster than I thought it would. I also ejoyed Cockles and Mussels, Smokey and the Lullaby (which still trips me up sometimes). But I find that I frequently return to Lavender's Blue.

Anyway, good luck!
Roland FP7
Yamaha EZ30

#1070600 - 11/28/07 11:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
vayapues Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
I began Alfred's three and a half weeks ago. I am addicted. I have been practicing upwards of 4 and 5 hours a day.

My poor wife
Has to listen to my terrible playing all day long.

Just a comment to Vijay. I am the same way. I can play a song all day long, and think I have it just right. I then try and record myself, or think someone is listening, and I mess up every measure.

#1070601 - 11/28/07 02:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vayapues:

Just a comment to Vijay. I am the same way. I can play a song all day long, and think I have it just right. I then try and record myself, or think someone is listening, and I mess up every measure. [/b]
Welcome!

And the recording issue you mention is called "Red Dot Fever"...its a killer... \:D

#1070602 - 11/28/07 03:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Hi Gang!!

Good to see lots of activity around here. Sorry I haven't checked in for a while (eeek, a couple months). My husband and I moved across the country at the beginning of October, rather unexpectedly. I'm just now getting back to my normal routine!

If I may, I'll jump in on a few issues:

About recording...[/b]
It'll lose it's mystique and all the fear associated with it if you record all your lessons and practice sessions. :-) I'm not saying you have to listen to them (although listening to your lessons can be so helpful.)

Just have a few tapes and stick one in every time you play. Pretty soon, you'll just forget it's there. But voila! If you do something awesome you'll have proof!! Also, getting over your fear will allow you to do fun things like record one part of a duet and play along with yourself. I love doing that.

About spouses, friends, and negative comments...[/b]
Understand that even those closest to you may have no experience relating to you learning to play an instrument as an adult. It's not something our society is really supportive of. I mean, now you're supposed to have your whole career figured out in grade school so that you can get into the right college and get the right job! Sheesh!

My husband and I have both inadvertently hurt each other in new endeavors, by just saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, or making a joke during a vulnerable moment. Ouch. It might sound trite, but we've resorted to, "Hon, can I just say that what I need from you is exactly _________ because this is pretty hard for me to do." Fill in what's most important. Encouragement? Uninterrupted time to practice? Supporting me in front of other people? Whatever the case may be. Sounds overly simple, but it works. Can also be used on friends and other family as needed! LOL!

What else are you all practicing for Christmas? I've got my Jim Brickman books out...

Best,

Kim

#1070603 - 11/28/07 03:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Kim! Welcome back.

What did you do with your studio? Do you have to start all over?

I'm not doing anything in the Christmas area, but cleaning up Alfred Greensleeves for the holiday recital we will be having here at the forum,

Otherwise I'm deep into book two.

Mark...

#1070604 - 11/29/07 10:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Hi Mark,

Yep, I had to refer my students to other teachers. It was so hard.

The problem here is that I don't have an accessible place to teach. My husband works at home so teaching out of my place doesn't work (plus parking is very limited); renting a studio is way too expensive; and driving around here is nuts, so I'm not really up for traveling to students' houses. I'm just waiting to see what develops. Several friends have asked me to teach their kids.

In the meantime I'm trying to use the time to really pour more information and tutorials into my piano site. My Alfred's Level One is on my desk as I type! Who knows, maybe that will be where my focus is for a while. I certainly have more time to play piano myself now!

Happy Holidays!

Kim

#1070605 - 11/29/07 11:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey Kim - welcome to the great state of Washington. If you're close to Oregon, don't forget they have no sales tax.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vijay:
But when yesterday when my wife wanted to make a video of my playing after my 1 hour practice session, I made a lot of mistakes hitting wrong notes. Of course, she laughed at me and was making fun by saying "Hey you were practicing all time and you are not even able to play a single piece properly". That hurt me a lot and now, I am low on confidence.
[/b]
Hey Vijay, I hear ya, buddy. My wife played as a child, has no interest now, but she "knows" what it takes, and tries to be kind to me. But, every once in a while, she will hear me play something I think was perfect, and she says "That was great. I can't wait for you the get the tempo right, and you need to correct your left hand from pounding, and smooth it out". ARGGGGG.

She is alive today because I am a coward and cannot cook.

#1070606 - 12/06/07 10:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Hi Gmm1,

Well, I moved *from* the great state of WA (with no state income tax, hurray) to MA (also known as Taxachusetts). Sigh. But my husband, tech-guy and breadwinner to my 'starving artist', can get much more work here.

How's the practicing going, everyone? Are you making a little piano time in the midst of holiday craziness?

Best,

Kim

#1070607 - 12/06/07 11:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, I see. Was thrown by your "from" box, but see it's now correct.

My dad was born in Boston and I still have tons of family in the area. I am still a Red Sox / Bruin / Celtic fan. It's in my blood.

I love MA (and all of New England), but I hear ya on the taxes. I love to visit, but returning home feels good. Generally, my family is ready for me to leave after a week or two of "you know, I pay no state income tax, how about you?".

#1070608 - 12/07/07 09:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
vayapues Offline

I am learning Joy To The World, on page 103. I was very proud of myself, because I played it by sight the first time.

But I have to laugh. For the life of me, I cannot play this song without thinking in my head 'joy to the world, the school burned down, and all the teachers are dead...'

Guess I sang that a bit too much as a kid.

#1070609 - 12/07/07 10:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Vayapues,

Your post made me laugh twice, once reading it, and once reading your sig line. LOL!

Perfect timing for Joy to the World. And hey, if you ever needed proof that scales do indeed exist in written music, there you go!

Gmm1 - my husband and I are both self-employed, so the tax thing is even more of a thing. It's one of the only downsides to moving back! That, and oh, the money to set up his Corporation here. Yikes.

Hope you all are enjoying the holiday season!

Kim

#1070610 - 12/10/07 09:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
redcard Offline

Okay.. so I picked up the book and am going to start on it. I also got into pianomagic, which is a fun course, but I think it's not for me. I'm going to stay with it, though, as it'll let me play around, but my primary method of instruction needs to be self-driven and a bit more "regimented" than what PianoMagic offers.

So.. here we go \:\) This should be fun \:\)

#1070611 - 12/10/07 12:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redcard:
Okay.. so I picked up the book and am going to start on it. I also got into pianomagic, which is a fun course, but I think it's not for me. I'm going to stay with it, though, as it'll let me play around, but my primary method of instruction needs to be self-driven and a bit more "regimented" than what PianoMagic offers.

So.. here we go \:\) This should be fun \:\) [/b]
Good luck, be patient and keep us posted. Remember we have Piaboteacherkim and others who visit here that can offer advice...

#1070612 - 12/10/07 02:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
vayapues Offline

On page 112 it says 'keep your wrists loose and quiet'?

loose I can understand, but what does it mean to keep your wrist quiet?

thanks kindly

#1070613 - 12/10/07 03:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think they mean still. Don't be floppy around and moving your wrist up/down.

#1070614 - 12/16/07 01:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

redcard said:

Quote:
I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on Piano Magic! If you're interested in sharing more about about it, feel free to PM me. Eventually (time and $$ being the necessary factors) I want to review all the major learn-at-home lessons on my site, so that beginner pianists can really know what they're choosing from.

I think it's a great thing for you to stay with something like Piano Magic, which teaches you how to be creative at the keyboard, and also work on something with a bit more direction. I'll be interested to hear how you progress, and how you're enjoying it!

Well, Alfred's users, I finally started my tutorials for the All-in-One course. I've gotten four up this week (which are all the 'intro' pages in book one), and hopefully I can continue at the rate of at least 2-3 per week. I'll probably finish another couple today. These are just text tutorials; after the new year I'll work on getting out the video camera and doing some that way too. (Big learning curve on the video editing!!)

In January, I'm also going to start tutorials for level 2 and 3 of Alfred's -- not waiting to finish level 1, because I know a lot of you are way into the higher levels.

Anyway, if you're interested, here's the main tutorial page. Scroll down to the links for Lessons 1-4.

Happy practicing!

Kim

#1070615 - 12/16/07 01:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
redcard Offline

KIm ,

I'll organize my thoughts on that and send it to you. All in all, though, I think Piano Magic is a great tool for people who want to learn to play fast. The music CAN sound good. Imagine that Scott Houston went indepth and offered a lot of personal one-on-one advice, and then taught you how to remove sheet music from the mix.

It is intriguing.. but.. the benefit is also the curse. It requires you to have some extremely creative and playful streaks in you.

All in all, it by no means is money wasted. Something to note.. .without that course, I wouldn't have a piano at all, much less Piano Magic, or Alfred's \:\)

So if you could pm me what you want to know, and I'll tell you what I can \:\)

#1070616 - 12/16/07 03:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
Well, Alfred's users, I finally started my tutorials for the All-in-One course. I've gotten four up this week (which are all the 'intro' pages in book one), and hopefully I can continue at the rate of at least 2-3 per week. I'll probably finish another couple today. These are just text tutorials; after the new year I'll work on getting out the video camera and doing some that way too. (Big learning curve on the video editing!!)[/b]

Thanks Kim, For your time and generosity, I'm sure all of us Alfred's students will benefit from your expert tutorials.

Page 16 of 191 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (Almaviva, 36251, anrpiano, 49 invisible), 1470 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153626 Topics
2251647 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
4 minutes 36 seconds ago
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
13 minutes 4 seconds ago
Always respect your piano
by Beemer
16 minutes 15 seconds ago
Hello + buying my first piano (long post)
by Ben_NZ
30 minutes 49 seconds ago
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission