Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 9 of 191 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 190 191 >
Topic Options
#1070377 - 07/22/07 12:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by grandkey:
I need to work on moving my hands to a different spot on the keyboard. Any advice for this? [/b]
Thanks Grandkey, I'm going to leave this quote for Pianoteacherkim to address...

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1070378 - 07/23/07 03:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Choppin' Offline

Loc: London
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Choppin':
Hi all

Does anyone know where to buy the Alfred CD for Adult couse book 1 in the UK? I have the book but no CD. I think I would be more inspired to practice if I heard the songs first. I only really feel comfortable playing songs I have already heard. Or could someone upload the songs in MP3 possibly? Even MIDI files would be great.

thanks [/b]
I'm not sure where to get only the CD, but if you go through this thread loly has kindly uploaded most of the CD'd songs...

Also you can ask the thread followers to upload a song if its not here.

I'd love to get all the songs from the book uploaded to the thread.

Mark [/b]
I can find about 8 of the songs on the other page. Where are the rest?

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!

#1070379 - 07/23/07 04:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark737:
 Quote:
Hi all

Does anyone know where to buy the Alfred CD for Adult couse book 1 in the UK? I have the book but no CD. I think I would be more inspired to practice if I heard the songs first. I only really feel comfortable playing songs I have already heard. Or could someone upload the songs in MP3 possibly? Even MIDI files would be great.

thanks [/b]
I'm not sure where to get only the CD, but if you go through this thread loly has kindly uploaded most of the CD'd songs...

Also you can ask the thread followers to upload a song if its not here.

I'd love to get all the songs from the book uploaded to the thread.

Mark [/b]
I can find about 8 of the songs on the other page. Where are the rest? [/b]
I guess I misspoke, I thought there were more. If there is a particular one you need, I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to upload it for you. One of my goals for these Alfred threads is to get them all uploaded here.
Also don't forget You Tube as a song resourse.

Mark

#1070380 - 07/23/07 05:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Do you all re-start with book 1 ?

Say, you left off, decades ago perhaps, at ABRSM grade 3 going to 4, wouldn't you want to re-start with a subsequent book?

#1070381 - 07/23/07 11:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Perplexed Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Interesting lesson today, going from "really good" to "need practice".

I began my previous lesson reviewing the G major scale songs (pages 70-73) and seemed to play them with no real problems (And Mark, you're right about "Why Am I Blue" being a good sounding song. It's my new current favorite in the book so far).

But then the introduction of the F major scale. For the bottom of page 74, the book says to "play only with Hands Separate", but I decided to try it with Hands Together and quickly found out why it said to play only with "HS". Playing that HT is quite complicated (but slowly doable I think).

And I ended the lesson with a pitiful first attempt at "Little Brown Jug". Every mistake that exists, I made. It's a good song though, it and the following song (Chiapanecas) bring back memories of watching old Warner Brothers cartoons.

doremi: Even though I haven't much piano experience, I'm not too sure if the Alfred's series book numbering is equal to that of the ABRSM grading. But a refresher course would always be good in any case.

#1070382 - 07/24/07 08:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
Sorry, I meant to post the following on this thread instead I started a new thread:-

Is it just me? I refer to "Blow the Man Down" Page 89 Alfred's Bk1, From bar 8 through to bar 16, the G7 chord sounds dischordant...sort of...I wonder if it should or is it me?

#1070383 - 07/24/07 08:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perplexed:
But then the introduction of the F major scale. For the bottom of page 74, the book says to "play only with Hands Separate", but I decided to try it with Hands Together and quickly found out why it said to play only with "HS". Playing that HT is quite complicated (but slowly doable I think).

And I ended the lesson with a pitiful first attempt at "Little Brown Jug". Every mistake that exists, I made. It's a good song though, it and the following song (Chiapanecas) bring back memories of watching old Warner Brothers cartoons.

[/b]
Little brown Jug will come to you in a couple of days. Its a nice song, but needs repetitions to get down.. But (Chiapanecas) was tough for me and not a favorite...

Sounds like your doing great and moving pretty fast...

Mark

#1070384 - 07/24/07 08:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redcoat:
Sorry, I meant to post the following on this thread instead I started a new thread:-

Is it just me? I refer to "Blow the Man Down" Page 89 Alfred's Bk1, From bar 8 through to bar 16, the G7 chord sounds dischordant...sort of...I wonder if it should or is it me? [/b]
I know what your saying, but I believe its right. Maybe Kim can help,,,

Mark

#1070385 - 07/24/07 08:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
As for Lone Star Waltz, it's getting better as well. I need to work on moving my hands to a different spot on the keyboard. Any advice for this? [/b]
Are you speaking of GE, FD, EC, DB on the top of page 57? If so the trick for me was to nail down the first 2 notes with the 5-1 and just work off of those notes down and then later up. Does that make any sense?

Mark

#1070386 - 07/24/07 11:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
grandkey Offline

Loc: Florida
Yeah, as soon as I nail the first note, the rest follows. The question was aimed at getting to that first note though. However, I'm pretty sure it's coming to me. I just need to practice it some more.

redcoat, Blow the Man Down! does sound a little wierd. I'm still trying to get used to it.

#1070387 - 07/25/07 02:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Hi all!

Quote:
I need to work on moving my hands to a different spot on the keyboard. Any advice for this?
I always have my students working on something beyond whatever lesson material we're using, and this is one of the primary reasons. \:\)

I'm a big fan of the Piano Adventures PreTime to BigTime graded music books. They're separate from the lesson books, and don't let the names, and the fact that they're in the kid book section put you off! At every level, there's a huge range of books: pop, jazz & blues, ragtime, marches, classical, Christmas, hymns, etc. Just flip through until you find the level that most closely matches where you're at.

Any 'extra' music will achieve the same goal, whether you like the play show tunes or Top 40. Find some beginner books in a style you like and have at it! This will get you outside the box of sequential hand positions.

Best,

Kim

#1070388 - 07/25/07 03:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Hello again!

Quote:
iginally posted by redcoat:

Is it just me? I refer to "Blow the Man Down" Page 89 Alfred's Bk1, From bar 8 through to bar 16, the G7 chord sounds dischordant...sort of...I wonder if it should or is it me?
OK, tonight I'm bringing my book home so I have it by my desk, then I'll be able to give a more in-depth answer.

But for now I'll say: there are several songs in book 1, with 7th chords, that many of my adult students responded to exactly the way you did. I think that this particular voicing of the 7th chord (which is, in fact, an 'abbreviation') just isn't quite satisying to our ears, it's too simple.

Also the fact that it's low on the keyboard, which can get murky when you have chord tones that are too close together.

Finally, if your piano is even slightly out of tune, that voicing of the 7th with grate on you a bit!

I'll play it myself today and check back in.

Best,

Kim

#1070389 - 07/25/07 04:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
FLMikeATT Offline

Loc: Port St. Lucie
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I took lessons for about 4 years when I was a kid, but I stopped playing for over 10 years. I'm 19 now, and my interest in piano was recently rekindled.

I started playing again about 3 months ago. Right now I'm on Alfreds Basic Piano Book Level 3. It didn't take me too long to get to the 3rd one.

What definately helps you to learn is playing music you like outside of Alfred's. For instance, one of the reasons I took up piano again is so I can play songs from Final Fantasy and other video games. Along with Alfred's, I have been playing songs from Final Fantasy 7-10 OST's. There are some really nice beginner/intermediate songs in those books, and they are lot more interesting.

I've also picked up the Michael Aaron Piano Lesson books, which IMO have better songs than Alfred's.

#1070390 - 07/26/07 02:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
 Quote:
I'll play it myself today and check back in.
Thanks Kim.

Quote:
What definately helps you to learn is playing music you like outside of Alfred's.
That's so right, here in the UK we have "Pianist" magazine which is published bi-monthly, it contains a lot of free sheet music and an important accompanying CD. The level starts from beginner upwards, even the beginner pieces (songs?) sound far more difficult than they are to actually play, which impresses the occasional audience I have here. The music does tend to be classically biased though, which suits me.

#1070391 - 07/26/07 03:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Hi Choppin
www.musicroom.com are offering the CD for £9.95
Judith

#1070392 - 07/26/07 11:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
kinghippo423 Offline

I can't beleive it !

I worked 30 minutes a day for 3 days on Blow The Man Down and I didn't felt that I was progressing. Trying unsuccessfully to play hands seperately. But tonight, I passed Blow The Man Down in 20 minutes at the speed its supposed !

My brain just clicked today and it feels GOOD !

Can't wait tomorrow to start the 7ths on page 56 of book 1.

#1070393 - 07/27/07 12:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kinghippo423:
I can't beleive it !

I worked 30 minutes a day for 3 days on Blow The Man Down and I didn't felt that I was progressing. Trying unsuccessfully to play hands seperately. But tonight, I passed Blow The Man Down in 20 minutes at the speed its supposed !

My brain just clicked today and it feels GOOD !

Can't wait tomorrow to start the 7ths on page 56 of book 1. [/b]
Thats great, I love it when a piece or part of a piece finally clicks.

Mark

#1070394 - 07/28/07 09:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
dat99 Offline

Loc: Western North Carolina
I am returning to piano after a 6 year absence. I did have 14 months of lessons. I am on page 92-93- The Entertainer. I think the timing is going to be hard on this!

#1070395 - 07/28/07 11:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dat99:
I am returning to piano after a 6 year absence. I did have 14 months of lessons. I am on page 92-93- The Entertainer. I think the timing is going to be hard on this! [/b]
Its a great piece. Play it the way your feel it, and I bet the timing takes care of itself...

Mark

#1070396 - 07/29/07 08:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Nin Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi everybody there,

I've just bought a digital piano and I will order soon the Alfred's basic all-in-one piano course. I can not wait to start practicing after reading this thread.

I would love to have the midi files of the book to practice, but I would have to order it additionally. Unfortunately, I am living in Germany, and to order additionally the 2 GM (midi) disks (In USA), I would have to wait 2/3 weeks.

Does anybody of you have these disks?, If yes, would anybody be so kind to upload/send it for me? I would appreciate it so much!!!!

I was checking the files of Loly (thank you very much), but these are mp3 or wavs, not midis. Moreover, uploading the complete 2 disk would be only 2.8 MB).

If nobody have them, I will surely order them, and upload for the forum here, I think this is a very good help for the beginner.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I have the Hannon midis, if somebody is interested please contact me!

#1070397 - 07/29/07 08:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Nin,

you can't play mp3's or wavs on your pc?

I don't have a converter to convert to midi I don't think, but I'll take a look.

#1070398 - 07/29/07 08:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Nin Offline

Hi Loly,

I can play both mp3 and Wavs in my computer. I just wanted to have the midis to use the piano digital features to practice (score presentation, practice with left and/or right hand).

Thank you very much for your message and your attention!!

#1070399 - 07/29/07 09:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ohhh, sorry Nin, I searched through all my programs and none of them convert to midi. I can upload all the mp3's maybe someone has a converter.

#1070400 - 07/29/07 09:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Nin Offline

no problem Loly,

I have never heard that is possible to transform from mp3 to mid, anyway I will start with the book as soon as I get it, and have a look to the mp3s you uploaded, which I think is better than nothing.

Thank you very very much!

#1070401 - 07/29/07 09:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nin:
Hi everybody there,

I've just bought a digital piano and I will order soon the Alfred's basic all-in-one piano course. I can not wait to start practicing after reading this thread.

I would love to have the midi files of the book to practice, but I would have to order it additionally. Unfortunately, I am living in Germany, and to order additionally the 2 GM (midi) disks (In USA), I would have to wait 2/3 weeks.

[/b]
Welcome to Piano World and the Alfred thread, you are going to enjoy learning piano.

I don't have the disks, but some songs have been uploaded to the this thread. (Most by loly) Also You Tube is a great resource for music examples.

Mark

PS: Someday I'm going to get all the songs uploaded. Anybody want to help? Here are a few of the early songs in the book kindly provided by loly:

http://www.box.net/shared/5vprn2k8l3

#1070402 - 07/29/07 01:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Nin Offline

I would love to help. Uploading the whole CD seems to be quite a lot of MBs (I guess around 700 MB). I would offer you my site to upload it, or my private FTP-server for that. I will upload the Hanon series and some other midis as well.

Of course the files hosted there, would be deleted by the user just after test/lisent to them, to avoid copyright issues, the files would be exclusively used just to test them, \:\)

Just contact me if you want to use my site to upload the files, so that you share them all with other folks here.

#1070403 - 07/29/07 03:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I would love to help. Uploading the whole CD seems to be quite a lot of MBs (I guess around 700 MB). I would offer you my site to upload it, or my private FTP-server for that. I will upload the Hanon series and some other midis as well.

Of course the files hosted there, would be deleted by the user just after test/lisent to them, to avoid copyright issues, the files would be exclusively used just to test them, \:\)

Just contact me if you want to use my site to upload the files, so that you share them all with other folks here. [/b]
Thanks for the offer. I don't want to have any copyright issues. I was thinking of just having our users upload their playing of the pieces in the book.

Mark

#1070404 - 07/29/07 05:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have them all converted to mp3's just don't know where I can put them. how much room does box net give?

#1070405 - 07/30/07 04:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Nin Offline

Box.net provides 1GB of data to be uploaded. Besides that, it confers you certain anonymity, because the urls given by the server are not indexed by search engines.

In resume, Box.net seems to be a good possibility for sharing those mp3s... and mp3 is a compression format, they are much smaller than wavs.

Can I help you somehow?

#1070406 - 07/30/07 09:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Box.net provides 1GB of data to be uploaded. Besides that, it confers you certain anonymity, because the urls given by the server are not indexed by search engines.

Can I help you somehow? [/b]
When you or anyone has a piece from the book recorded, upload it to box.net or other site and provide a link. I'm adding them to my opening post, so everyone can use them as a reference. This goes for all the Alfred book threads,

Thanks

Mark

Page 9 of 191 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 190 191 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, antony, 43 invisible), 1445 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
14 minutes 59 seconds ago
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
59 minutes 9 seconds ago
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
Today at 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission