2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 61 of 452 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 451 452
K
K
Dumb question - Ok, I've taken the letters off of my keyboard and I've been working on Alfred's Book 1 for about 1 week. I'm working on getting "Maryann" perfected before I move on. How good does it have to be before I move on - I'm getting bored with it!

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Kdana:
Dumb question - Ok, I've taken the letters off of my keyboard and I've been working on Alfred's Book 1 for about 1 week. I'm working on getting "Maryann" perfected before I move on. How good does it have to be before I move on - I'm getting bored with it!
Sounds like its time to move to the next piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My first teacher always told me that as long as the tempo, and phrasing are correct then it's time to move on. If you can move through it smoothly and know the correct notes but you make some mistakes that's ok. Those method book pieces are learning pieces so once you grasp what it's trying to teach, move on.

I started staying on pieces longer when they were supplement pieces for repertoir about 1.5 years into lessons when I got my current teacher. She thought it was time for repertoir and depending on the piece she'll keep me on it till she's satisfied but if it's a learning piece she's not as strict. She's a perfectionist.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow Chris, awesome playing. Looks like you're ready for book 2. teee heeee Thanks for mentioning me on youtube, that's my 15 minutes of fame. he he laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

Things sure are moving quickly. My teacher has the pedal to the metal. Now we're starting G position, and I'm just trying to hold on for dear life.

Actually, this is a lot of fun. No time to get bored with a certain song. Although I am spending a lot of practice time on both versions of When the Saints Come Marching In. I actually feel like I'm making music with those. It's great.

Changing from chord to chord is still hit and miss sometimes, but slowly things sound better. I'm looking forward to when all this comes together, reading the grand staff, fingers finding the right notes.

I was wondering how much the rest of you spend on practicing scales?

Gary
K
K
Hi Gary,

It sounds like we're at the same place - I'm working on both versions of When the Saints Come Marching In also. I was also wondering if I should be practicing scales.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Gary S. and Kdana,

Being an absolute beginner, I do practice my scales for about five to ten minutes every other time I sit down to practice.

I believe that I should practice everything, even if it's just for a short period of time each time. And to prevent myself from getting bored, I alternate the different exercises every other practice sessions.

I'm sure you'll know which exercises and how much time you should be spending on them as you progress. Your teachers, if you have one Kdana, will help you in determining this as well.

I really enjoyed playing both versions of the Saints when I was there and still go back to practice them occasionally, just to make sure that both of my hands can still handle playing both the treble and the bass parts.

Good luck and happy playing to both of you.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
D
D
Originally posted by Kdana:
My lessons have stopped for the summer so I am dictating how I learn right now. It can get a little monotonous learning the same piece, what I have started to do is learn 2 or 3 pieces at the same time. I find my progress a little faster doing it that way and more interesting. My teacher was not really into learning things perfectly, he was really progressive (unfortunately I get a new teacher next month frown )
As I progressed and keep going back to previous lessons I have become better at the pieces I was struggling with.
This is just my experience to keep me getting bored continually practicing the same piece.

I
I
Wow you guys get off easy. My teach now insists everything has to be perfect to the T. But ya know if Im bored with a piece I wont even practice it ;0 i know thats bad but....

Kuris that was great, so smooth - perfect imo.

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
when I was good about it I would spend spend about 10 minuits
doing Hanon get bored and 40 mins on a song...

that was on piano.

On the love of my life (carillon and oh my gods theres a practice keyboard here) huzzah!!!its half hour on scales 1/2 hour on technical exercises, 1/2 on music and then 15 minutes or so on the " live" keyboard..,,then my hands are thrashed for a few days.....I only get to practice that once a week.

and I still suck.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 1silkyferret:
On the love of my life (carillon and oh my gods theres a practice keyboard here) huzzah!!!its half hour on scales 1/2 hour on technical exercises, 1/2 on music and then 15 minutes or so on the " live" keyboard..,,then my hands are thrashed for a few days.....I only get to practice that once a week.

and I still suck.
Hi 1silkyferret,

I don't know of course but I have the feeling that you are a perfectionist and are being overly critical of yourself. wink

It's really great that you are enjoying playing the carillon so much. I'm sure that with that much time spent, you must've also made some wonderful progresses as well.

I'm learning how to play the simple jazz/blues rhythms right now, and while they are fun, they're also quite challenging because they are so different from the others that I've been learning so far.

Keep up the great work and happy playing to you.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am. Another lesson is coming up tomorrow. We just started G position and it looks like more chords are coming. (I peeked) I'm really starting to think this piano business is going to work out nicely. I'm realizing more and more that this is going to be a long haul, but that it is not too tough a row to hoe.

As soon as I can play as well as I mangle metaphors, I'll be a happy camper.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm glad that you are having so much fun, Gary. It sounds like you are picking it up easily.

I just got back from my visit to daughter and family in Oklahoma. Whew, it was HOT there! I never got to touch, or even see a piano, keyboard or other musical instrument while I was there. I had to get up at 4:00 a.m. to make my plane, so I'm really tired. Will see if I forgot everything I knew about piano tomorrow.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I haven't forgotten what little I know. It only took me about 10 minutes to get over the awkwardness from not having played for almost two weeks. I went through my #1 play list and only messed up the first one or two times I played a piece. I started "Lullaby" today and it doesn't seem too difficult.

My keyboard sounds wierd, but then, almost everything, including my own voice sounds weird. My ears are still somewhat stopped up from the descent in the plane - they usually get back to normal within about an hour after landing, but this time it's hanging on. The descent and landing were like being on a half hour rollercoaster ride. I REALLY hate flying, but it's the only way to see my daughter and three of my grandchildren.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally posted by mom3gram:
Well, I haven't forgotten what little I know. It only took me about 10 minutes to get over the awkwardness from not having played for almost two weeks. I went through my #1 play list and only messed up the first one or two times I played a piece. I started "Lullaby" today and it doesn't seem too difficult.

My keyboard sounds wierd, but then, almost everything, including my own voice sounds weird. My ears are still somewhat stopped up from the descent in the plane - they usually get back to normal within about an hour after landing, but this time it's hanging on. The descent and landing were like being on a half hour rollercoaster ride. I REALLY hate flying, but it's the only way to see my daughter and three of my grandchildren.
I got back from visiting my daughter and granddaughter in the US this last weekend, it took me a couple of evenings to get back into it. As many times as I fly ( I do still need frequent trips to the washroom before I board the plane) I still dislike it one part of the journey involves flying on a dash 8, eek I think I have dashaphobia :rolleyes:
As an update I have progressed to Michael row the boat ashore. BTMD is staring at me on the next page eek Another phobia to conquer laugh Actually I am looking forward to it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
mom and Dave, that's good to hear. I'm about to leave on a two week vacation, also. Hopefully, I won't have to start all over again.

I did solve one problem last weekend. I spend weekends with my girlfriend. She has no piano, so I don't get any practice in on weekends. There is a Yamaha Music School close to her house. I discovered that they will rent a practice studio for $6 per hour. Not only do I get some practice time in, but I get to fiddle around on the grands a little bit after. Ever play When the Saints Come Marching In on a C. Bechstein?

Gary
M
M
Hi everyone.

I started taking a piano class at a community college this summer and ended up dropping it. I plan on trying the class again soon, but in the meantime I've started using Alfred's, so I just thought I'd check in here. At the moment, I'm working on Beautiful Brown Eyes and Alpine Melody.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah, "Beautiful Brown Eyes"!!! That was my first real stumbling block. I can't tell you how long it took me to get the hang of those first 4 measures. Welcome to the Alfred 1 thread. There are a lot of us working through this book. Have fun with it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally posted by ynaffit:
Hi everyone.

I started taking a piano class at a community college this summer and ended up dropping it. I plan on trying the class again soon, but in the meantime I've started using Alfred's, so I just thought I'd check in here. At the moment, I'm working on Beautiful Brown Eyes and Alpine Melody.
Welcome to the forum.
Beautiful brown eyes I still have problems with, I find it hard to get a consistant tempo with it maybe because I am not familiar with it, Alpine melody I enjoyed learning that one and practice it quite often.

Page 61 of 452 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission