2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
My daughter has been invited to join her violin school's performance group (yahhh - we are so excited!!!) Her teacher knows I play the piano and asked if I could accompany them for repetoires sometimes. They have a great accompanist who plays for thier performances and most repetroires, but she isn't always available and he would like to add more repetoires. Since I have to be there anyway, so I might as well play.

I've let him know that I'm not great and that I will make mistakes, but he doesn't care - as long as the children have something to play along with. So, I've been practicing LOTS and can get through most of the songs pretty well. I probably won't start playing with the children until after the new year, so there's still time to keep working and polish things up.

I've never accompanied before, so what are the most important things for me to do? I know timing and playing with a good, steady beat are important, so I've started practing with a metrenome. Any tips for this new exciting, but scary adventure?

Help is very appreciated! Thank you, Stacey.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
How wonderful, Stacey. It sounds like great fun.

Because I am a closet player, the best advice I can give is practice with people in the room so you can adjust to an audience.

And, practice looking at someone else while playing. As you will be playing with students, they will depend on you to keep the beat and stay with them, when they falter, as best you can. So practice watching someone (your daughter would be perfect as she could practice with you).

Other than that, have fun, laugh, relax....all the things I do not do......

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
A
A
The single most important thing is to stay in time--much more important than playing the right notes, or even playing all of the notes. No matter how many mistakes you make, you just have to keep going!

If you're used to playing solo, then you're probably used to trying to play all the notes on the page no matter what. It's a hard habit to break. As a beginning accompanist, you need to work out what's important and what can be left out. For most pieces, if you're confident that you can play the correct harmony on the first beat of every measure then you have a good foundation.

I hope you enjoy this new experience!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yep, accompanying is a different skill and mindset than solo piano playing. Along with the other advice you've received here, I'd add this:

1. Don't stop playing. (This sounds stupidly obvious, but if you get stuck, the soloist can just stop and collect themselves.)

2. Don't go back and correct your mistakes. Just keep going. (This relates to #1.)

3. You need to follow the strings, not lead them, in terms of tempo, etc. They will determine dynamics and tempo, adding rubato, etc. You just follow them. (Do they have a conductor? I'm assuming not--but if they do, obviously you follow the conductor. Otherwise, 1st violin generally.)

4. Be flexible. You will probably not play every note, unless the accompaniment is really easy. Things happen, page turns are necessary, etc. Learn to "wing it" if you get stuck. Sometimes you can do this by just playing the left or right hand for a measure while you collect yourself. Sometimes you'll just vamp a chord or two. Whatever. If there's a measure or two you just can't play, plan something easier to get you through.

5. Plan your page turns. You may have to memorize the music around the page turns until you get to a point where you can turn easily.

I love accompanying. But it took some getting used to! Have fun. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission