Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
77 registered (AZNpiano, Anticlock, AZ_Astro, ando, 22 invisible), 1226 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1075831 - 10/12/07 08:27 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Good question, pianoluvr:

Yes, I know what you mean when you say you can "hear" the difference. There is no doubting when you hear them, for it is the modal tinges, bagpipipe drones, and their characteristic dotted rhythms, triplets and ornaments, that Chopin draws on from his memories of folk songs and dances that he knew so well from his childhood." The mazurkas are entirely different from his polonaises, both in style and dimensions. The mazurkas are social poems, poems of private life, as the polonaises are political poems. They are essentially minatures of inexhaustible variety of design, mood, rhythm and style, as against the large-scale, heroic "set" plan of the Polonaises. (paraphrased by Bailie's book).

She goes on to describe in two-page detail what are they and how their "Polishness" is so evident that many well-known pianists tend to avoid them because they feel they don't quite understand them...not in reasoning, but in the blood. She further states that no one can fully understand the mind of this great composer, but it is in the mazuraks that one can come close.

I personally think it is their lovely and enigmatic subtleties and haunting melodies and rhythms that make them stand out from all of his other works. They are not exactly easy to play but certainly not as difficult as some would think.

I know I probably didn't answer your question fully, but it is a difficult one because to define them exactly is impossible. One has to "feel" them.

Hi Rustyfingers: I will put you down for the two you requested. I don't know if there will be any left for any "newcomers." But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now, I am overjoyed by the huge response from so many.

My best to all,
Kathleen

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1075832 - 10/13/07 08:29 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Hi Kathleen--

I've listened to all the Mazurkas that are left, and I think I'll go with 67 #2.

I hope I don't take a look at the music and find it's 100 pages long!

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1075833 - 10/13/07 08:36 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Nancy: So good to have you "aboard." I just finished learning this one (it's wonderful and only 3 pages long...with lots of repeats)...and it's a level 6.

Regards,
Kathleen

#1075834 - 10/14/07 08:47 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Just bumping!

K

#1075835 - 10/17/07 10:59 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I hope you'll let me do 2 for now. I've fallen in love with 50/3 and would like to play it too.

#1075836 - 10/18/07 04:10 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
I will pick up a cd of Marzukas over this weekend and have a listen...

#1075837 - 10/18/07 09:17 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano&Violin Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
Haven't checked in here for a while and I'm quite surprised how busy this thread gets!

It's a superb idea to have three recitals, it really makes you get a little more familiar with the mazurkas.

When I listend to them the first time this summer, I found them a little challenging and thought you got to be a real Chopin lover to like them but I've really come to love them since.

Do you still have mazurkas left to choose from for the 2nd and third recital? If so, I'd love to put my name on the list for that. Where can I find the latest update - the last list I've found was from 1st October.

Not sure whether this is the same with all mazurkas and score editions, for Op. 33.4 I've found three different pedalling versions in three different score editions. Also bows appear to be different in the various score editions.

How do you go about it in such an instance?

I've ordered the score edited by Carol Mikuli who's supposed to have been a student of Chopin and listend to many of Chopin's piano lessons as that seems to be about the closest to what you can find to Chopin's intentions as even with Urtext editions you can never be certain if they used the right source material.

Any ideas/suggestions?

#1075838 - 10/18/07 01:07 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Playadom: Although I did put you down for playing two for the first Mazurka Marathon, I'm not certain whether this is a good idea because we might run into the situation where we will have none left for the other two. Frycek would like to play this one for the 3rd recital. So right now, it's "pending," until ....?

Piano&Violin: Boy, with me...you're asking the wrong person. You are a professional, so, naturally you are very concerned with playing from the "right" edition. I should be that way, but I play from the editions on my CD. I know this is totally wrong, but it works for me.

However, perhaps those of you out there familiar with different scores can help PV out. We'd appreciate it.

Euan: Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kathleen

#1075839 - 10/19/07 06:17 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano&Violin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
You are a professional, so, naturally you are very concerned with playing from the "right" edition. [/b]
Kathleen, you made my day! That's about the best compliment I got about piano playing!!!!

Regarding the list of still available pieces for the 2nd and 3rd round, is there anything current on that?

#1075840 - 10/19/07 07:00 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Playadom: Although I did put you down for playing two for the first Mazurka Marathon, I'm not certain whether this is a good idea because we might run into the situation where we will have none left for the other two. Frycek would like to play this one for the 3rd recital. So right now, it's "pending," until ....?
Kathleen [/b]
I plan on playing in the Etude recital(if it's going on), if that makes any difference. If I'm not allowed to do 50/3 for the first one, I'll definitely take for the second or third recital.

#1075841 - 10/19/07 07:17 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Playadom, 50/3 is yours with my blessing.
Kathleen, please put me down for 63/3 instead.

#1075842 - 10/19/07 09:08 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Piano&Violin: What compliment?? You ARE a professional. The List on the very first page of this thread is now up-to-date. If you will notice, some have numbers after them, which indicates that person has chosen that mazurka for either the second and/or third recital. Please check that page. It hopefully will make more sense. And then, please, let me know which mazurka/s you want to play and when.

Playadom: You are down for 50/3 for the second mazurka for the first recital. (I've indicated my thoughts about an Etude Recital on the "On Line Chopin Recital" thread. Good luck on that one.)

Frycek: You're on for the 63/3 for the second recital.

My best to all,
Kathleen

#1075843 - 10/19/07 09:53 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano&Violin Offline

... I'm in my 3rd year of serious piano studies and regular practice ...

Will take a look at the score and listen to the mazurkas again over the week-end and let you know which ones I'll add.

#1075844 - 10/20/07 03:16 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano&Violin Offline

Hi Kathleen,

had a good look at the mazurkas and found two that appear to be both ideal for me and not to be taken yet.

op. 7.5 and
op. 33.1

I've already started on 33.4 as I'm doing it in my lesson and therefore it might be best to prepare it for March 2008, but it being my first Chopin piece ever I'd like to be able to take op. 7.5 instead - at last minute - should I get into trouble getting through (33.4 is rather long and 7,5 is 1/2 page only).

Let me know if the choice is fine.

#1075845 - 10/20/07 05:15 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano&Violin:
...Not sure whether this is the same with all mazurkas and score editions, for Op. 33.4 I've found three different pedalling versions in three different score editions. Also bows appear to be different in the various score editions.

How do you go about it in such an instance?

[/b]
Unfortunately none of the printed editions are completely accurate. I guess by "bows" you mean slurs? ;\) The thing to remember as a general guideline is that Chopin's pianos were much less resonant than today's. You should pedal lightly or even not at all in the Mazurkas.

#1075846 - 10/20/07 07:28 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Hi PA:

You were down for 6/1 for #1 (from 10/2), so now I will put you down for 7/5 for #2 and 33/1 for #3.

Piano&Violin had chosen 33/4 for #1 back on 10/2.

I hope all of this is correct. Please let me know if I have goofed...once again.

Mary-Rose: How beautiful you look today. A woman of ever-changing personas. Our mystery lady, to be sure. ;\)

Thank you for the advice on playing the mazurakas. As one who relies heavily on the pedal to mush over my mistakes, I will have to change my approach. Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Arf, arf,
Kathleen

#1075847 - 10/20/07 11:50 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Mistaya Offline

Loc: Alberta
Man, there's not much left other than level 8 pieces - should have gotten on the ball with second choices. Could I try 63.2 for (2), and 7.4 for recital 3? It's too bad about IMSLP, I was using that to check out the scores. thanks.

#1075848 - 10/20/07 11:59 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

You're on for those, Mistaya. You know what they say about the early bird....ugh! :rolleyes:

I am so thrilled about the way these mazurkas have been going...almost like "hotcakes." \:\)

Kathleen

#1075849 - 10/20/07 12:07 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Remember that I can be a backup if there's any mazurka left that needs a player.

#1075850 - 10/20/07 12:14 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Mistaya Offline

Loc: Alberta
....and the response is then what about the early worm, right?

So, when do we do we go into free-for all for the waltzes and nocturnes \:\)

Caroline

#1075851 - 10/20/07 06:12 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

It doesn't pay to be an early worm...it would seem.

OK and thanks Theowne: I will write in your name at the top of the list as a possible "back-up person."

Kathleen

#1075852 - 10/20/07 08:50 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
DeepElem Offline

Loc: USA
Has anyone noticed Theowne's video of 24/2 at his Youtube link ?

Very well played Theowne !
You make it look so easy.

#1075853 - 10/20/07 10:11 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
 Quote:
Hi PA:

You were down for 6/1 for #1 (from 10/2), so now I will put you down for 7/5 for #2 and 33/1 for #3.

[/b]
Hmmm ... I think you have me confused with Piano&Violin. He/she has asked for those two.

The only mazurka I have spoken up for so far is 6/1. I haven't had a chance to look through the others yet.

Check out my blog !

#1075854 - 10/21/07 03:38 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano&Violin Offline

Kathleen,

Is Piano again correct that you confused us - I did ask for 7.5 and 33.1. If that's a problem with anybody I don't mind to have another look and find different mazurkas. If you could just clarify.

Mary-Anne. Thanks for your info on pedalling Chopin. Greatly appreciated! If you - or anybody else - got any literature on this or related studies on Chopin, please let me know.

I'm currently waiting for a socalled study edition of the mazurkas to be delivered, advertisement said it was with Urtext, edited text and much explanation ... I'm really keen on not just playing it "somehow".

#1075855 - 10/21/07 07:56 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Sorry about the mix-up PianoAgain and Piano&Violin. It doesn't take much to confuse me, so you two are doing a good job of it. \:D

I made the corrections.

Piano&Violin: I do have you down for 33/4 for the first recital. Is that correct.?

Kathleen

#1075856 - 10/21/07 08:02 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

I just listened to Theowne on You-tube. He is just super. Perfect touch for Debussy and also for Chopin. His piano sounds beautiful also.

Great job, TheOwne: \:\) \:\)

Kathleen

#1075857 - 10/21/07 02:28 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
Piano&Violin Offline

Kathleen, yes, it is.

#1075858 - 10/24/07 11:23 AM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Hi All:

Please ignore the next two posts. Sorry for the confusion.

Kathleen

#1075859 - 10/24/07 01:06 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains

#1075860 - 10/24/07 01:29 PM Re: Join In the Mazurka Marathon!!
4000 Post Club Member

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:36 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
12/19/14 01:30 AM
is it possible for me to learn piano?
by Ekik
12/19/14 12:38 AM
The New custom-modded VPC1 by RavenworksDesign!
by PianoManChuck
12/18/14 11:40 PM
Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner?
by SKding
12/18/14 11:10 PM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159969 Topics
2349252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission