Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1076099 - 05/01/06 05:54 PM What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
There are lots of songs I like, but a few REALLY stand out as beutifull piano solos. Since I am constantly looking for new-nice piano music to play, I am eager to find out what some of your favorites are.

Heres my curent TOP list.

1.) Lake eerie rainfall, by Jim Brickman
2.) Cristofori's Dream, by David Lanz
3.) Angel eyes, by Jim Brickman
4.) Remembrance, by Jim Brickman
5.) My Immortal by evanescense

There are MANY, many more really nice songs, but these are just a few that come to mind.

What are yours?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1076100 - 05/01/06 07:28 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Wandering Weezard Offline

Loc: Indiana
I'm pretty new at this, so I haven't been too exposed to much classical piano yet... But, here is a list I can think up:

1) Aerith's Theme by Nobou Uematsu[/b]
2) Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel [/b](I particularly like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra version)
3) Valley of the Fallen Star by Nobou Uematsu[/b]
4) Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring[/b] (who wrote this?)
5) Ave Maria [/b](who wrote this?)

Well, Mr. Johnny Bravo (Mr-super-hunky) had five, can I stop there for now? \:D

#1076101 - 05/01/06 07:50 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Greg_R Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
WW, which Ave Maria are you talking about? Schubert composed the music (based on Sir Walter Scott's poems) for the most recognizable version. However, Gounod created a different musical setting for the work based on Bach's 1st prelude from the Well Tempered Clavier.

Speaking of Bach, he wrote "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" as well (although now there are probably 1000s of versions of this song).

#1076102 - 05/01/06 07:58 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_R:
WW, which Ave Maria are you talking about? [/b]
No idea \:D It's on two CDs I picked up from a local "Dollar Tree". The back of the CD's don't give the composer and I can't seem to find them listed on the net anywhere :p

I'll take your word for it on the composers \:D

#1076103 - 05/01/06 08:50 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
This may take several installments...

1) Longing/Love by George Winston
2) George Winston's arrangement of "Walking in the Air"
3) George Winston's arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D (are you sensing a trend here?)
4) Le Onde, by Einaudi
5) The Gift, by David Nevue
6) River Flows in You, by Yiruma
7) Cristofori's Dream, by David Lanz
8) Orientale, by Granados
9) Blackbird, by Mike Oldfield
10) Colors/Dance by George Winston

These aren't in any particular order and I will probably add to this later...

#1076104 - 05/01/06 08:54 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
This may take several installments...

3) George Winston's arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D (are you sensing a trend here?)
[/b]
Do you have a recording? I'm curious to see how that one sounds.

#1076105 - 05/01/06 09:00 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
1. Georgia on my Mind - Stuart Gorrell and Hoagy Carmichael
2. Anything Gershwin - Someday I'm going to be able to play Rhapsody in Blue.
3. Of course Chrisofori's Dream, for many years.
4. Lorie Line has some good solo pieces that I want to learn one day.

#1076106 - 05/01/06 09:28 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hey Monica, Is Le Onde that really nice song that Euan Morrison posted?

#1076107 - 05/01/06 09:32 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I have two lists:

Favourite piano songs I CAN PLAY.
Favourite piano songs I WANT TO PLAY, BUT CAN'T (at the moment) \:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1076108 - 05/01/06 09:56 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Monica K. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Wandering Weezard:
Do you have a recording? I'm curious to see how that one sounds. [/b]
I don't have anything in a format that I can post, but if you have Rhapsody I know they carry it. It's on Winston's December album. It's very pretty. Somewhat interestingly, he transposed it to the key of C.

Super-hunky, "Le Onde" is not the piece that Euan posted, although Euan's was also by Einaudi. Le Onde is even prettier, in my opinion. Euan and I are racing each other to see who masters it first. I think he might be winning. \:\(

I can't play all the pieces I listed, by the way. But they're all aspiration pieces. \:\)

#1076109 - 05/02/06 07:15 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Wandering Weezard:
Do you have a recording? I'm curious to see how that one sounds. [/b]
I don't have anything in a format that I can post, but if you have Rhapsody I know they carry it. It's on Winston's December album. It's very pretty. Somewhat interestingly, he transposed it to the key of C.
[/b]
Thanks! I listened to a demo off of Amazon.com for that song. I like it \:D

#1076110 - 05/02/06 07:24 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)

Quote:
Originally posted by s54mo827:
I have two lists:

Favourite piano songs I CAN PLAY.
Favourite piano songs I WANT TO PLAY, BUT CAN'T (at the moment) \:D [/b]
Just for the record... I can't play ANY of the songs I listed, but I definately WANT to :p

Here are some more:

Bratja from Full Metal Alchemist: Second Soundtrack[/b]

Farewell Hyrule King by Koji Kondo[/b]

To Zanarkand by Nobou Uematsu[/b] I've also seen it called "At Zanarkand" and "Away to Zanarkand" so not sure what official title is

Kids Run Through the City Corner by Nobou Uematsu[/b]

You know... If anyone is curious to hear recordings of the last two (NOT DONE BY ME), check out this guy:

The Video Game Pianist

And please don't flame me saying "Video game music is not REAL music" because I think that these songs are good and you ought to give them a try \:D

Edited at 7:53am my time on 5/2/06

#1076111 - 05/02/06 08:15 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
I've been working on a piece called "Water Lilies" by Kevin Kern that I really like, although I can only play the first page right now.

And of course, one of my all time favorites is "The Notebook" (Main Title) by Aaron Zigman.

#1076112 - 05/02/06 10:45 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Pandora Spocks Offline

Loc: Ontario
Two all-time favourites of mine:

The Homecoming - Hagood Hardy
Chariots of Fire - Vangelis

I just learned The Homecoming, and am now working on Chariots of Fire.

#1076113 - 05/02/06 11:11 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
A few of my favourite piano tunes:

Anything by Einaudi - after first hearing him a month ago, I have proceeded to buy most of his cd's, a big book of sheet music, and I'm still finding new and lovely pieces to try in future.

Yann Tiersen - any of the piano pieces from Amelie and GoodBye Lenin movies

The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby, one of the ultimate piano riffs, and a cool solo!

Michael Nyman - obviously the soundtrack to 'The Piano' springs to mind, but his album 'The Piano Sings' contains some really nice, chilled-out music.

Not sure if these are any help to you or not Mr S-H, but all I will say is "get that Einaudi album" - I think you will love it! \:\)

#1076114 - 05/02/06 11:19 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
 Quote:
[QUOTE}

Super-hunky, "Le Onde" is not the piece that Euan posted, although Euan's was also by Einaudi. Le Onde is even prettier, in my opinion. Euan and I are racing each other to see who masters it first. I think he might be winning. \:\(
[/b]
I think Monica has been on the Sammy Adams again! \:\)

Contrary to what she seems to think, I can assure you that she is in fact winning the race. I havent even played the entire piece through completely, because I keep repeating the same parts over and over.

Here's an idea - why don't we release our two versions simultaneously?! Because if I hear your recording first, I probably wouldnt want to post mine! Obviously its not as a competition or anything, but just because we have both been working on the same piece at the same time. Give me some time, though!

And Mr S-H - the piece I recorded a page of is called 'Fuori Dalle Notte' (Out of the Night)

#1076115 - 05/02/06 11:29 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Monica K. Offline

But the pages Euan can play he can play at tempo, whereas I am still only at about 75% and haven't budged in over a week.

That's a great idea, Euan; let's post our recordings at the same time in the same thread. And take your time; I don't feel anywhere close to recording it myself.

I've been practicing the tips for accenting the melody that were posted in the thread in the pianist corner. I think it's helping a little bit, but I'm still nowhere near to pulling it off as cleanly as Einaudi.

#1076116 - 05/02/06 12:36 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Gill the Piano Offline

Loc: Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Engla...
Right, I've listened to you lot waxing lyrical over this Cristofori's Dream, and I've never heard it. So I've just ordered the sheet music on the strength of all your enthusiasms! Hope I like it \:\) !

#1076117 - 05/02/06 12:46 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
Schubert's serenade.

#1076118 - 05/02/06 01:40 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Not in Order, (and I hope you don't mind I added parts of songs):

Solace (Scott Joplin)

Piano Part at the Beginning of Backstreets (Springsteen)

Prelude (Billy Joel)

The Emperor (Beethoven) That part where it gets slow -

Incident on 57th Street, and in particular
the piano part that connects the end of Incident on 57th Street with Rosalita (Springsteen)

New York Serenade (Springsteen)

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant (Billy Joel)

Travelin' Prayer (Billy Joel)

Summer Highland Falls (Billy Joel)

What Child is This (Vince Guaraldi)

#1076119 - 05/02/06 02:19 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
DenCato Offline

Loc: Belgium
I just love these topics \:D

Every time I learn something new ... just amazing what you can do with 88 keys ;\)

My current (classic) favorites are :

1. Pathetique sonata - Beethoven
2. Chopin etudes, mazurkas, waltzes, ... I love em all (sorry for cheating but I can't chose)
3. Tarantella from Venezia e Napoli - Liszt
4. Impromptu op 90 nr 2 - Schubert
5. La Campanella - Liszt

Non-classical favorites :

1. Valse d'Amelie - Yann Tiersen
2. Ludovico Einaudi (almost all his songs)
3. The Heart asks Pleasure First - Michael Nyman
4. Take Five - Dave Brubeck
5. mmmm ... seems I am more into classical music ;\)

#1076120 - 05/02/06 04:57 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Kam Offline

Loc: Canada
Ernesto Cortazar - ALL
David Lanz - Variations on Pachebel's Canon, What Child is this, a cup of moonlight (whole album)
Yoshiki - Without You
Yiruma - River Flows in You

#1076121 - 05/02/06 08:10 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)

Monica K,

Is this it? \:\) George Winston - Canon in C

That is so awesome!

#1076122 - 05/02/06 08:49 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

BTW, Monica and Euan.

You are both working on the asme piece, thats fantastic. The term "competition" can sometimes be easily misconstrued, but I really like the idea of both of you learning it together.

While not really an actual "fight to the death" competition, I think the idea of both of you working on that piece, trying to show the other how good you have gotten at it is very healthy and productive.

I'll bet you worked harder on this song than any other and we will all appreciate the end results regardless of who "wins"! ;\) . besides, the "winner" will need to pay me and others a "judging fee", so you may both want to consider your performances a tie!

#1076123 - 05/02/06 09:47 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
tenuki Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Anything Thelonius Monk ever played. \:D ("monks dream" is a good complilation/introduction CD)

Tom Waite's piano stuff, Nick Cave's piano stuff, etc.

John Cage, Harry Partch, John Cale - yes I know not much piano stuff from Partch, but if you count his piano like instruments... , but brilliant company. ;\)

PJ Harvey (yes I know there is no piano music, but I love her stuff so much it influences me \:D )

Moonlight Sonata ( I know it is cliche', but it still gets me). come to think of it, an aweful lot of Beethoven gets to me.

Vangelis (stuff from opera savage or bladerunner soundtrack, 'one more kiss' from that is my favorite)

Scott Joplin, Gershwin, and the Duke. but man, there are really too many to list!!

#1076124 - 05/02/06 11:23 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hey Tenuki:

I'm glad you said something, that being about
pj Harvey not being "piano music".

One of the nicest songs I ever heard (and just learned) is played and written for the saxaphone. It is called "europa" by Gato Barbieri. I have never heard any song played with so much emotion as I have with that one.

If you ever get a chance, listen to the sax version of the song, and while it does'nt transfer over to the piano perfectly, it still sounds very nice. The only thing is that you can't "fluctuate" the notes like Gato does with a single sax note. If you hear the song, you will see what I mean.

#1076125 - 05/03/06 02:33 AM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
tenuki Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mr SH, post your piano version and a link to the sax version so I can compare.. ;\)

[edit]
(found a sample on iTunes ) nice!

#1076126 - 05/03/06 03:37 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
jowook Offline

Loc: Kansas City, MO, USA
FUR ELISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1076127 - 05/03/06 03:55 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
Monica K. Offline

A couple more:

"Alan's Song" by Bragh Adair
"Peace Piece" by Billy Evans

"Peace Piece" is the most beautiful jazz piano piece I have ever heard. One of these days I will learn to play it. The left hand is a cinch, but the right hand has some challenging runs. I can listen to it 10 times straight and not get tired of it.

#1076128 - 05/03/06 03:56 PM Re: What are your favorite piano songs? (suggestions wanted)
tenuki Offline
500 Post Club Member

wandring weezard - that link to the video game pianist made my day, thanks! After that I just have to share this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002LJE/102-4400680-9564104?v=glance&n=5174

Carl Stalling was the guy behind Loony Toons music for 22 years, practically invented cartoon music singlehandedly. There are so many references to classical and contemporary music in his compositions - it is just delightful. And this collection was created by one of my favorite producers Hal Willner.

Trust me on this, if you ever watched cartoons, and you like music, you want this. \:D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (bennevis, Atrys, Akshay, 19 invisible), 1069 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
50 minutes 29 seconds ago
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission