Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
91 registered (Barry1963, Beemer, anamnesis, Al LaPorte, 25 invisible), 1301 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1076466 - 01/03/05 04:13 PM fingering help
jasper_garcia Offline

Loc: New York
Hey All,

I was practicing sight reading with some random sheet music that I downloaded and I was lost to say the least. The intervals are not very close and I have to stretch my hand almost completely to even play the right notes. I'm guessing in cases like this "standard" fingering goes right out the window and whatever works is what is done.

Below is a picture of the notes I was trying to find the most comfortable fingering for. It's written in the bass clef in case you're wondering, and the music is written in B flat.

My stab at it was using fingers 5-3-2-1, though the stretch between 3 and 2 makes the webbed skin between the two fingers stretch bigtime (a bad sign methinks). I also tried 5-2-1-2, which is a bit more comfortable, the only problem is that there are three sets of notes similar to this one, with closer intervals, where 5-3-2-1 works fine, and changing it up for this case seems to throw everything off.

So what are the general guidelines that are follow when one is assigning fingering to sheet music (when standard fingering fails)?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1076467 - 01/03/05 04:57 PM Re: fingering help
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i would use 5212, but it also depends on what's before and after. maybe you could show us the whole bar for this.

#1076468 - 01/03/05 05:34 PM Re: fingering help
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Yeah, I agree with signa, 5212. It doesn't matter if a a set of notes are close to that arrangement and work better with 5321, you want to use the fingering that works best for the section in question. Of course if the next note is down low again, then 5321 might work best because then the pinky would available for that low note.

You'll find that this happens frequently. You may be used to a set fingering, for example with arpeggios, and then you come up against an arpeggio that doesn't work with that fingering because your fingers have to be ready to play something else or your fingers were busy with something else prior to the start of the arpeggio.

This fact is one of the points that Bernhard makes against pure technical exercises. You're practicing the exercises without any musical context and there are very, very few pieces that the exercise would fit into like a glove. Most of the time you have to change fingering, which changes hand and arm motion, which you then have to practice over and over to nail down pat anyway. So what was the point of the original exercise?

#1076469 - 01/03/05 05:59 PM Re: fingering help
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
My teacher has showed me how to pivot your hand on the end of your wrist(like a fan) to cover intervals too far to reach.. you might try that with the 5321..

(10 minutes later...)

I tried it and it did not help in this case. I think 5212 is the way to go..

UNLESS... you might use 521 and then the thumb of your right hand if it is in the neighborhood.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1076470 - 01/03/05 06:09 PM Re: fingering help
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
As others have said, it's important where you'll be going next, and to choose the fingering that is both comfortable for you in that passage and allows you to smoothly go into the next passage.

If you decide you want to use 5321, but the fingering feels awkward, maybe that just means you need to practice that fingering with these notes a little more than other sections. Sometimes fingerings that include 4 and then 3 or 3 and then 2 can sometimes be hard because we tend to be stiff in between these fingers, but loosing that up is really beneficial.

Do you do any stretching exercises for your fingers? You might try stretching your fingers gently (emphasis on gently!) while in the shower or after doing dishes (so that your hands are warm). Use your other hand to stretch horizontally between fingers 2 and 3, 3 and 4, and 4 and 5. You can also put your hand on the edge of a table to stretch between the thumb and 4, thumb and 5 and the other fingers. Stretching should always be gentle and slow, and you have to be careful not to overdo it.

#1076471 - 01/03/05 06:37 PM Re: fingering help
jasper_garcia Offline

Loc: New York
Ahh, so I wasn't far off. The left hand plays pretty much a repetition of this for about 8 bars:

I would agree that my hand is probably not flexible enough. Since the sorrounding bars go well with 5321 I will try to keep it this way. I'll practice that way tonight and see how it goes, and tomorrow (with a fresh mind) I will try the other way. Then the day after that I'll settle on one. I'll give it some time.

Thanks everyone.

#1076472 - 01/03/05 08:23 PM Re: fingering help
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

What comes next?

#1076473 - 01/03/05 09:26 PM Re: fingering help
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Interestingly enough I am working on a piece that has almost the identical bass line, although 1/8 notes and in C major EBEFB repeat EBEFC and repeats with various accidentals thrown in but essentially the EBE stays the same. I am using a 52121 fingering which works best but again it depends what comes next.

The specific piece is Manha de Carnaval arranged by Edison Frederico a well known Brazilian pianist and arranger.

#1076474 - 01/04/05 07:14 AM Re: fingering help
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

i'd use 5212 for both passages, which seems the most comfortable fingering. but you need to make the jump from 1st and 2nd passage smoother.

#1076475 - 01/09/05 05:10 PM Re: fingering help
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
i'm having the same problem. i can't play Vanessa Carlton' THOUSAND MILES [which i love] b/c the range is so big, and i have small hands, which is one of the biggest limitations in being a pianist. it sounds choppy when i play it. i wonder does anyone have any tips for stretching your hands to play something like this without it sounding choppy, even when i have the sustain pedal down.
and what about those notes that you play four of with one hand at the same time? how do you do the fingering?

#1076476 - 01/09/05 07:21 PM Re: fingering help
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't have that piece, (in fact I've never heard of it), so I can't provide any suggestions for playing it smoother. Do you have a teacher who can provide some tips?

"what about those notes that you play four of with one hand at the same time? how do you do the fingering?"

Too many variables. It depends on the notes, the key, the speed, the dynamic, and what comes before and after the chord. Basically you use whatever fingers work for you.

#1076477 - 01/09/05 09:07 PM Re: fingering help
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pianafetish, I love that Vanessa Carlton song! It's on my list of things I want to play in recitals this year (I often choose one "pop" song that I sing and accompany myself to in addition to more standard, classical solo pieces).

Do you have a solo arrangement or the original with vocals? I've only played through it just enough to confirm that I can sing it (so it's not one of my playables yet), but I don't remember there being any stretches greater than an octave. (assuming your sheet music is in the original key) And I assume you're talking about the right hand, especially at the beginning, right?

Do you have a hard time playing octaves? Can you get your fingers to reach that distance, even if it's just barely? If so you shouldn't have a problem. Even if you can't, you should be able to make it sound smoother by remembering which notes you want to accent (listen to the song again for great hints, because it's not on the score)

Practice playing octaves, and practice just the first 6 notes to get used to the feeling of the stretch. It's really fast, so make sure you choose good fingerings and stick to them from the beginning. Actually, you should read Chang about HS practice and cycling, because I think it applies perfectly to this section!

http://members.aol.com/cc88m/PianoBook.html

Hmm, I should also ask my teacher about this, she has very small hands (much smaller than mine), and an impossibly short thumb! But she can play much bigger stretches than I can (of course she can, that's why she's the teacher! :rolleyes:

#1076478 - 01/09/05 09:11 PM Re: fingering help
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

the point is to try out different fingerings which suit your hand most comfortably, require least hand shifting and are effective at the required tempo. my hands are small too with only one octave span, so the first thing i do to learn a passage is to figure out the best fingering for that, and be sure the chosen fingering is also connected to the passage before and after smoothly.

#1076479 - 01/12/05 07:47 PM Re: fingering help
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
-ShiroKuro, no i don't have the original piece. it's very similar to the original, but with a few mistakes. that's why i haven't bothered playing the song. the piece is something that someone transcribed on their website. [it doesn't even include guitar chords] they have the vocal and harmony part, but not the melody when the singing begins, so that sheet music has many mistakes, and i've wasted paper- and my money printing it out. but i've found the real thing and will print it out the next time.
-there are so many 16th notes, but they do have the ez piano version in C Major [the original key is B Major], and it tells the fingerings. and yes, i'm talking about my right hand.
- have small hands, but i know little kids that can rip up a classical piece, so that shouldn't stop me. and i can barely stretch my fingers over 8 keys, which is an octave, i think.

#1076480 - 01/12/05 07:58 PM Re: fingering help
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pianafetish, I spent a billion dollars to buy the official song book for that album! I hate to do that, because A Thousand Miles is probably the only song out of there that I'll play, but I have never been one to make smart money decisions!

If you can make the stretch, work on it little by little and you will be able to get it. If you can, look at Chang's book, because he explains things much better than I could. Look at the stuff about HS practice (which I mentioned about) but also take a look at his discussion of chord attack (or parallel sets) and playing "infintely fast," I think this is probably the kind of practice you should do for these stretches...

#1076481 - 01/13/05 05:14 AM Re: fingering help
animato Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Use pivatage technique. using 5 4 2 1.

Make your 4th finger the main note, and just pivit your hands like a see saw kinda shape. This is a typical Chopin and Liszt "arpeggio".

Good Luck \:\)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160049 Topics
2350391 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission