Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1076482 - 01/07/05 08:29 AM First lesson!
crikkit Offline

Loc: Spring, Texas
I made it through my first lesson last night! I rented a piano last week and was working through the Alfred adult piano book on my own. It seemed weird to invest the money and time in this without getting advise and feedback from a teacher, so I signed up for lessons Wednesday at the local music store and had my first lesson last night.

She switched me to the Faber Adult Piano Adventures book. She feels the music in the Alfred book gets too boring quickly. Is anyone else working from this book? What is the average time it takes to get through a book like this? I don't want to get overly eager and rush through it at the risk of missing out on important fundamentals. On the other hand I don't want to play "Bell Chimes" and "Row Your Boat" for months!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1076483 - 01/07/05 08:53 AM Re: First lesson!
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
When I took lessons about nine years ago (for about one year), I worked in Alfred's books one and two. When I resumed this past September, I started in Faber. Because of my previous experience, I skipped book one and started about 1/2way through book two, which took about a month. Now I'm in 3A. I work in the lesson book, the performance book, and the technique book. I take one hour lessons every other week. Actually, lately, scheduling has been spotty, so I'm probably averaging about 1 lesson every three weeks, but hopefully we'll get back to our regular schedule.

#1076484 - 01/07/05 09:35 AM Re: First lesson!
jaxkewl Offline

crikkit,
could you tell me the isbn of the book your teacher suggested to u? i am currently using the alfred and bastien books. could u tell any differences between alfred and faber? thanks.

#1076485 - 01/07/05 12:06 PM Re: First lesson!
crikkit Offline

I think the ISBN for the Faber book she's having me use now is 1569392382. I've only been through about the first 25 pages, so I don't know all of the differences between that and Faber.

So far the Faber book places more early emphasis on style, like the volume, slurred, staccatto notes, that sort of thing. Also, the Alfred book has you playing only from C position for a long time. The Faber book has you playing different hand positions very early and doesn't use as many numbers above the notes to tell you what note to play. They seem to want you to be able to play by recognizing intervals early on. So it's a little more difficult for me, but I'm glad.

#1076486 - 01/07/05 02:34 PM Re: First lesson!
ossk8ter Offline

Loc: Dallas
I had my first lesson yesterday and my teacher has me using Faber as well (yes, that is the right ISBN). I like the fact it gets you into intervals early. Before my lesson, I had started to work through The Piano Handbook by Humphries. It's a good book for learning notes but the problem was I was concentrating too much on reading the notes as I played. Intervals help me not do that and the piece flows better.

#1076487 - 01/07/05 03:33 PM Re: First lesson!
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Congratulations on starting piano lessons! I remember being so excited to start lessons a year ago after a long break. I still enjoy my lessons - I've decided I'm not ever going to stop this time. I wish I had never taken such a long break, but college and work got in the way of enjoyment for a long time!

Have fun! \:\)

#1076488 - 01/07/05 03:41 PM Re: First lesson!
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Congratulations!

How long was the lesson, and how frequently will you go?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1076489 - 01/07/05 05:25 PM Re: First lesson!
Neophyte Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Congrats on starting your lessons. I am scheduled for my first lesson next Friday. Can't wait. Been playing (or at least trying to play...) for about a week and a half. Learned a lot on my own and thru this forum and having fun, but I need direction and some verbal answers to questions I have.
Good luck with the lessons.

#1076490 - 01/07/05 09:50 PM Re: First lesson!
crikkit Offline

I'm taking 1/2 hour lessons once a week. At first I considered taking lessons from someone who teaches our of their home, but I ended up stopping by the music store and met the piano teacher there and felt really comfortable with her. I was absolutely giddy that I was able to play a couple of simple lines from "Matchmaker" tonight. I can't even imagine how excited I'll be when I actually play a complete piece!

#1076491 - 01/08/05 07:50 AM Re: First lesson!
tcmod Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NC
 Quote:
Originally posted by ossk8ter:
I had my first lesson yesterday and my teacher has me using Faber as well (yes, that is the right ISBN). I like the fact it gets you into intervals early. Before my lesson, I had started to work through The Piano Handbook by Humphries. It's a good book for learning notes but the problem was I was concentrating too much on reading the notes as I played. Intervals help me not do that and the piece flows better. [/b]
I like your style Surely you told your teacher about the new piano. They must have been impressed. Great way to get into it for sure.

#1076492 - 01/10/05 04:53 AM Re: First lesson!
ossk8ter Offline

Loc: Dallas
When I told my teacher, she gasp and was speechless for a bit. I will visit it today after work for practice.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, 36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, A Guy, 46 invisible), 1894 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75492 Members
42 Forums
156103 Topics
2292346 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Korg Triton>midi>us
b>lightning to usb>iPad mini>Garageband

by SilentMHP
07/23/14 04:54 PM
Pianist Martin Malmgren Performing in Helsinki
by Piano World
07/23/14 04:25 PM
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
07/23/14 03:36 PM
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
07/23/14 02:50 PM
piano player wanted...
by David Farley
07/23/14 02:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission