2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1076635 02/27/05 10:07 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Hey everyone, how's the Happy Birthday challenge coming?

I got some sheet music for it, arranged by Fabrizio Ferrari. Played through it a few times yesterday, wrote out the fingerings to give myself a short cut and sang and played to see if it's doable. Conclusion: it's doable, so now I am really and for sure in!

It starts in C major, goes through the song once, and then dramatically switches to Db major. At least I think it's Db major! It doesn't sound minor, and it has 5 flats, although the first note is Ab.

Anyway, you sing the song twice, the second time in a different key. Very nice! The piano part is accompaniment, so if I wanted to do it as a solo, I'd have to include the melody in the RH, but I should be able to sing (the highest note is still within my range, thankfully)

At the beginning, the RH starts out in mostly chords and the LH is just a simple bass and octave. Then for the second half (in Db major) the RH gets more interesting (and plays more of the melody) and the LH switches to quarter note arpeggios.

Does anyone else have this arrangement?

I think it's actually a very nice, and musical, arrangement. Which is all very well and good except that I want it to be a surprise for Mr. ShiroKuro, so I can only practice it maybe twice a week (when he's not here) I have about 6 weeks till his birthday, so that's only 12 practices! eek Kyaaaaaaaa

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Peter Schickly (P.D.Q. Bach) once ventured the observation that the reason so many modulations are just "up one/half step" ... much to the chagrin of accidentally challenged pianists... is that THAT way the singer can change keys, but "not too much".

The melody starts on the 5th of the scale, so Db would be correct as the key.

I have DOZENS of arrangements for this song, but they almost always have the wrong NAME in them, so I seldom play it. :rolleyes: (I've got TWO "Jimmy"s in G, and a nice "Nancy" in C#, but I don't have a "Shiro" in ANY key, so I'll probably just send you a card instead of taking that 12 hour flight. smile

Typically, they do the easy stuff in C , then bring out the trick-work in the tough key. It just wouldn't do to start in B and switch to C, or start in C# and switch to D. :b:

Bob

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm glad I got the key right away!

And the lyrics for this one are "Happy Birthday Dear [YOUR NAME] Happy Birthday to Yoooou"

I'll have to ask my husband to change his name to "Your Name." I hope he doesn't mind...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm *so* lame!

All I've done is figure out the melody in G flat major. I don't know how to style an introduction, and I haven't worked out the chords on the LH yet. I need to print out the other thread and head to the piano and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I was going to throw myself on the mercy of the Non-Classical PW board and see if they'll take pity on me.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think I ran across a hip-hoppy be-boppy rappy-carppy version somewhere, perhaps on the Nine-Mile Road soundwreck (the sequel). If I haven't emptied my virus quarantine subdirectory, maybe I can recover it and send it to you Cindy. smile thumb

This might come "more natural" to you. :p

Bob ... helping most when needed least

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
All I've done is figure out the melody in G flat major.
Do yourself a favour and play it in F or G. Gb will end up with chords that require you to play too many black keys to be comfortable.

I don't know how to style an introduction
If your goal is to be able to play Happy Birthday for people to sing to, an introduction I have found that people can follow and come in at the correct place is to use the last 2 phrases; i.e. "Happy birthday dear Cindy, happy birthday to you". Then you go back to the top for people to join in. By playing the third and last phrase, people will know how to anticipate the beginning of the song. I know it does not sound very exciting, but it *works* for a group sing-a-long.

R
R
I have long wished to be able to knock this little tune out in front of a crowd, with just the right amount of flourish in the introduction and an appropriately flashy finish.

ShiroKuro, where did you find that arrangement???

ravenswood

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

John Locke
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Here:

http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/downloads/Free/DownloadFree.html

Or here:

http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com

Come on Cindy, you started the challenge! Get with the program! wink

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
And the lyrics for this one are "Happy Birthday Dear [YOUR NAME] Happy Birthday to Yoooou"

I'll have to ask my husband to change his name to "Your Name." I hope he doesn't mind...
laugh laugh

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Anybody have a good piano solo version? I have the arrangement Shiro speaks of and although it's easily playable, it is just an accompaniment

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
You could take that arrangement and add the melody to the RH part, but that might still not be interesting enough for you...

I seem to recall seeing somewhere something that was Variations on Happy Birthday, very elaborate.... Where was it?!!! Oh phooey! Will try to slog through my brain a little more and see if I can remember, but you might want to try looking on the net for something like that. Or one of the better sheet music sites that have good difficulty ratings should be able to give you an idea of the arrangement. If you find something good, let us know.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, I'll take the birthday challenge. Here's a simple, C-major version that I'm just playing by ear on the electronic keyboard, with a 2-measure intro. Cindy, there's only two notes per hand being played and this is really slow so I think you'll be able to follow along.

Here's the 479 Kb mp3 file:
Happy Birthday
(hopefully I didn't overwrite someone's nicer version already posted to PianoWorld...)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Seebechstein,

I had a teensy little problem with the recording. There seems to be a disco soundtrack which is louder than your playing! Is it just my computer?

OK, I'll give up on the whiz bang G flat major version. Gotta crawl before you can walk!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
There seems to be a disco soundtrack which is louder than your playing! Is it just my computer?
Hmmm, I downloaded it and listened to it and all I hear is the piano. Must be your problem alone. The tempo is not smooth because I could not listen to myself in real time, there was a lag between when I played the notes and when I could hear it recorded at the computer. The delay is very distracting when trying to play the piano. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

I plan on playing this again on my electronic piano and record it as a midi file. That way, someone with notation software can print you a hardcopy. Again, my intent was to produce a very simple version, just two notes per hand.

Hey, whatever happened to your deadbeat brother? You were cooking him dinner in exchange for his teaching you to play this song?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok Cindy, I used Finale NotePad to manually place notes onto a page, and then I took a screenshot, which I'll post here. Again, my intent was to get the best sounding Happy Birthday while keeping it simple (no more than 2 notes per hand.) If you can listen to my recording of this above, you'll hear heavy use of pedal. If you want the Finale file itself I can post that too, which would be easier for you to print out and take to the piano. But you have to download Finale NotePad to open the file.
[Linked Image]
Ok, who else has taken the challenge, I want to hear your versions too!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission