Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1076950 - 12/05/07 10:36 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Terrytunes,

you seem to be the person with just the amount of spunk to spearhead this event, (I just come up with the idea's and then run remember! ;\) )

So, with the power never bestowed upon me, I officially put you in charge of organizing this event! . You see, with you in charge, we may be even able to convince a few of the fence-sitters to attend and possibly perform.

Whadya say? \:\)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1076951 - 12/05/07 10:57 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
hunky... wait one second... I'm writing a pm for ddh!! \:D be right back!!

#1076952 - 12/05/07 11:16 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd be more than happy to assist but it will truly end up being a group effort if a large scale event is to be perfectly planned.

I guess my first question would be... are there more than 8 members who would come to MA???

#1076953 - 12/05/07 11:19 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

oh, and my 2nd question.... what is Copper's choice for a location???!!! I just saw an "example" posted... maybe I missed his vote!

#1076954 - 12/06/07 12:11 AM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Copper is very *elusive*, he likes it that way!

#1076955 - 12/06/07 12:32 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Copper is very *elusive*, he likes it that way! [/b]
Elusive.

Well we did seem to get the ball rolling towards MA.

Did you know that I worked at Fenway Park for 8 years?

#1076956 - 12/06/07 01:24 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
If it ends up being in SF, I would be happy to be a tourguide (if not in person, I could at least be a 'virtual' tourguide, via this Forum).

I can offer suggestions for airport transportation, local transportation, sightseeing (including excursions further afield - such as the wine country), shopping suggestions, location of piano stores \:D etc.

I think it would be fun to see some of the folks in this Forum. \:\)

FYI: winter weather in SF tends to be a lot warmer than the rest of the country and summer weather tends to be a lot cooler than the rest of the country. (maybe too[/b] cool but that is another story)

Of course Boston is a great place too...

#1076957 - 12/06/07 01:51 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Terrytunes:

If we do muster enough interest to have an actual *real* live concert recital, sooner or later an actual location will have to be chosen.

We are still in the exploratory stage now however more and more interest seems to be building up.

I had also noticed that a few active members from the other PW forums have been chiming in and I think that is terrific. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should have an "all-inclusive" PW live recital?.

While that would be really cool, it does bring up the performance intimidation factor but I'm sure there may be ways to have everyone perform who wants to while possibly keeping certain groupings of abilities together.

It now seems that the top 3 locations are Mass, Vegas, or san Fransico.

For those who are traveling, the airfare and hotel really should not be that much of a difference in any of the locations. I can only assume that Vegas would be the least expensive since there are deals all the time there but like I said, if someone lives say in the midwest, the airfare and hotel will be about the same either way.

So, a few questions for everyone:

1.).Should we open the live concert recital to everyone (Any/all Pianoworld members) or limit it to an adult beginer live recital?

2.) To be fair to the bulk majority of our members living in the U.S, what can we do to include our other members across the globe?. Possibly donate unused frequesnt flyer miles?, offer to host a member a place to stay when they get here?.

3.) If we do this and it turns out succsessful (like the online recitals), could we possibly have an annual live recital that changes locations every year?. Maybe this year it will be in San Fran, next year, Mass, the following year, Vegas, and who knows, possibly even europe in the future.

This concept has a HUGE amount of potential but only if we all do something to organize it. Why not have some fun with this idea and actually DO IT??. You only live once!

#1076958 - 12/06/07 01:54 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Copper:

Did you know that I worked at Fenway Park for 8 years? [/b]
Pitcher?, 3rd baseman? popcorn sales?
:p

#1076959 - 12/06/07 04:24 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Regarding whether the live recital should be open to all members, I don't see why not. If there are enough performers, it's possible to do 2 sessions - afternoon recital for the beginners/retreaders, followed by happy hour and dinner, (now we're talking), and then the evening session for the "serious" amateur pianists - the happy hour might bring down their level of performance! haha! It would be up to each performer to decide which group he/she wants to sign up for, I guess.

#1076960 - 12/06/07 05:08 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
It would be up to each performer to decide which group he/she wants to sign up for, I guess.
Sign me up for happy hour! \:D

#1076961 - 12/06/07 05:09 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
... the happy hour might bring down their level of performance! haha! It would be up to each performer to decide which group he/she wants to sign up for, I guess. [/b]
Or I could register in the "Advanced" group and REALLY bring down their average level \:D

Daniel

#1076962 - 12/06/07 05:16 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
little-big-man Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
I could just register and bring down the average of the whole thing.

That's Low.

#1076963 - 12/06/07 05:18 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
little-big-man Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Anyway, Looks like if it happens, it will be in the Good Ole US of A.

Shall not be going there.

#1076964 - 12/06/07 05:19 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Or the order of the recital could be arranged according to the grade level of the pieces. If a piece doesn't have an official grade designation then an experienced teacher (looking at you Betty) could look it over and make an educated guess. That would at least keep Twinkle, Twinkle, and 25/11 separate. That would also let the less experienced performers go first with less time for nerves to built up.

#1076965 - 12/06/07 06:15 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
 Quote:
Anyway, Looks like if it happens, it will be in the Good Ole US of A.[/b]
Actually a compromise is called for, the half way point between us Europeans and the Americans is Ulan Bator in Mongolia, I wouldn't go there though, I don't like horses milk in my tea.

#1076966 - 12/06/07 07:29 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Copper:

Did you know that I worked at Fenway Park for 8 years? [/b]
Pitcher?, 3rd baseman? popcorn sales?
:p [/b]
Hot Franks Here! Ice Cold Beer!

I went up and down those aisles a million times, but I always stopped when Yaz was up.

#1076967 - 12/06/07 07:57 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Frycek's grade-level order sounds good. Or it can be by experience-level (self determined.)

The recital can be after happy hour, so *everyone*'s playing level will go down accordingly!

#1076968 - 12/06/07 08:24 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
If I could make it I'd probably go to either coast, but would still prefer Vegas.

As for splitting the recital into levels - I like the ABF as a "self-defined" group - it's part of what makes it so special, IMHO, so I'd rather we didn't split the folks any way. I'd just as soon we did something like draw straws for an order of playing \:\) , so we have kind of a random order, like we do for the quarterly recitals/piano bar/holiday recital. Besides, who's to say if we want to try a "harder" - whatever that means - piece and mess it up, or an "easier" - whatever that means - piece and nail it? And how would we define what that means for the play-by-ear folks?

I still really like the simultaneous Euro-US idea, and I still don't have any idea how that would work.

Cathy

#1076969 - 12/06/07 11:17 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

jotur, you made a good point about playing group and order. OK, so Frycek's grade-level order idea doesn't sound as good anymore. \:D

#1076970 - 12/07/07 12:57 AM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
vayapues Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
In addition to a recital, what would really hook me and make it worth my while would be to have some break out sessions with the more advanced members, and possibly a guest speaker or two. I would be willing to pay a small cover charge for the experience, if I knew I was going to come away having had time to listen to those who really know their stuff. The cover charge could then be used to help cover expenses with the venue, etc. Does not have to be much, just enough to allow us to really do the event right.

I would also say that IMHO, I think it is in all of our best interest to get as many pianists, at as high a skill level as possible to attend. Intimidation factor aside, what a great opportunity to sit down with a room full of people who are better than us, and ask for as much advice as we can in a couple of days.

It could also be fun to do a little competition, for those who are brave enough.

As far as organization goes, i will throw down that I am willing to help from a website point of view. I own a small company with on staff web programmers. www.KidsKnowIt.com

#1076971 - 12/07/07 02:24 AM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I was thinking of a peer group \:D of ABFers. For me, if I wanted to sit down with a roomful of people better than me I'd probably choose a piano camp or something \:\) But your idea is certainly worth running up the flagpole -

Some late night thoughts on venue -

I've been to a lot of dance camps, and perhaps they could serve as another kind of model. One of the best venues was Colorado College in Colorado Springs - the accomodations were dorm rooms, but that made it inexpensive, and we were all in one place. We've also been at NM Tech in Socorro, or Fort Lewis in Durango.

Another place was a historic hotel in, I believe, Sedona, AZ. I was also at a ragtime festival in Boulder, CO, at which the main venue was a church, and there were "afterglows" at a couple of the hotels.

So, how about a small college or comandeering a historic hotel somewhere, like Sedona or similar in *your* state, with a church as the "recital" venue if needed? They often have small auditoriums with grand pianos, or we could rent one or two (I've done that for concerts, too).

I was also thinking about what kind of venues are here in SF (not that I think Santa Fe is a good choice - it can be pricey), but there's a couple of small theaters that I've been in dance performances in - one at the College of SF and one at the NM School for the Deaf in particular. They're not expensive to rent, but they both require audience insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if some churches did, too. But - what might be in Las Vegas outside the strip that we might take advantage of? If there was something there we could still take advantage of the multiple and cheap flights into there. Guess I'll ask my brother next week when we're all home for the holidays -

Any way, when Mr. S-H mentioned the actual venue it set me thinking. . .

Cathy

#1076972 - 12/07/07 03:18 AM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Just me dreaming a little.....
Going to San Fransisco would be like a dream come true for me, so that would be perfect. But it's a long (and expensive) way and it will need some saving and planning.

(I'm sure you would be a perfect guide, Whippen boy, but you did not mention organ concert ? )

Most of all I want to meet you all, see your faces and chat a bit (just to reveal my awful Norwegian accent, I mean)
A live concert would make me totally shaky and I would have to choose a grade 1 piece since I don't know the difference between C and F when I'm nervous..... ;\)

Ragnhild

#1076973 - 12/07/07 10:00 AM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I'm with Terry on Lowell,being partial and only 30 minutes away. Larry has a friend with a portable recording studio so there's a possibility of getting a live recording of the recitals. \:D Imagine a personal CD titled "Live from Pianoworld 2008 Ultimate ABF Meeting"

Whippen Boy, you don't want to visit Methuen Music Hall and try the organ there? That would make a nice addition to our grand meeting up here in good ol' New England!

The Frederick Collection is worth the visit. I've been there like 3 times now, and can't get enough of the experiences. They've added a couple of new pianos too. An 1888 Mason & Hamlin, and an 1868 Chickering.All of the pianos are playable so after the tour, you get to sample them yourself. Imagine a Chopin Nocturne on the 1841 Pleyel, or Schubert on the 1828 Conrad Graff. (heaven). :3hearts:

John

#1076974 - 12/07/07 12:09 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Methuen's Serlo Hall and organ are FANTASTIC!

I've played there. \:D

No matter which location, I'm pretty sure pianists would not want to hear organ music...

If I can attend this event, it would be as a pianist - maybe even an *incognito* pianist.

If it is in SF I don't think finding a venue will be too difficult...

I hoped it wouldn't be a competition between Boston & SF - I'm feeling a bit odd making suggestions...

#1076975 - 12/07/07 12:51 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
If I can attend this event, ...... [/b]
We will DEMAND you to play 10 Liszt Transcendental Etudes. \:D

#1076976 - 12/07/07 01:47 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

So many great suggestions for locations but how do we choose one?.

We DO have time to thoroughly organize and explore our options for this event so there is no need to rush.

I REALLY like John Citrons idea of having the event proffessionally recorded as a keepsake for all of us. After reading all of the suggestions so far, it seems that certain criteria should be met. Those being:

.The event to be held in an acoustically compatible location..(some type of music hall designed for the reproduction/transmission of sound)...i.e NOT pizza-hut banquet room!.

.The event to be held in a location that satifies the majority of attending members. (other means of compensating out of country members have been mentioned such as donating unused frequent flyer miles or possibly hosting a foreign member).

.The timing of this event would obviously have to be far enough away to not cause any scheduling conflicts. Late summer 08 has been mentioned several times.

As far as who should participate be it beginers only or everyone, the floor is open to express your viewpoints on that issue.

Personally, I would like have my cake and eat it to on this one!. Ideally, I would LOVE to have the chance to watch some very accomplished forum members perform as well as fellow adult beginers.

I strongly feel some form of a distinction should be made between them as to not cause any feelings of intimidation. Possibly beginers in the morning and advanced performers in the afternoon?. I'm sure this could be worked out as the advanced players would only want to encourage the rest of us as opposed to intimidate us.

As beginers, we DO have a lot to learn from the more advanced performers and I would certainly welcome the opportunity to hear them perform. That said, I still would feel more comfortable performing in a grouped time frame with members of my own similar abilities!.

More suggestions wanted!

#1076977 - 12/07/07 05:52 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
 Quote:
Personally, I would like have my cake and eat it to on this one!. Ideally, I would LOVE to have the chance to watch some very accomplished forum members perform as well as fellow adult beginers. [/b]
I agree with most of what you say but especially this; we all could benefit a lot from exposure to advanced members.

I would add a wish: that the encounter last long enough to get to meet everybody. Whichever location is chosen, I know I will travel far; I certainly would like the opportunity to spend some time out of recital with all of you. I know some will have time issues but what if it was held over two days, say a weekend ?

The other day could be spent on a visit of some piano related exposition or other place of interest.

What say you ?

#1076978 - 12/07/07 07:09 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I think everyone is assuming at least a weekend, probably a long one to allow for travel time. I would prefer a format where we can spend some casual piano time together in additional to a formal recital. We really need to chose a locale where we have an actual host(ess) with a house and a piano regardless of what arrangements we have for the formal recital (about which I have very mixed feelings.)

#1076979 - 12/13/07 06:39 PM Re: Ultimate Event Location Survey
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA
There has been some conversation about having a recital at my shop.

May I extend an invitation to have it there.

A friend of mine, Mike, who owns a recording studio is willing to bring a portable recoding set up if folks would like.
his web site is here .. www.port-media.com

I believe I can come up with a fun piano to play and have it well prepared.

There is a Mason and Hamlin tour coming up in May, perhaps it could be combined with a recital?
Seeing that the M+H tour is being put together now, some input there might be helpful ...

Maybe also combined with a trip to the Fredricks Collection?

Any thoughts?

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
09/17/14 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
09/17/14 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
09/17/14 11:47 AM
Playing for ~9 months.. Where to go next?
by alexbergauer
09/17/14 11:39 AM
Aluminum plating on Steinways?
by chasingrainbows
09/17/14 11:32 AM
Who's Online
149 registered (3times2, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, AEMontoya, 36251, 37 invisible), 1348 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157580 Topics
2314664 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission