2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Copper Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
OK, since S-H asked I'll kick off a survey.

Whether people may actually show up seems to be a question, so let's try to poll this way:

Please tell us where and when you would be likely to attend.

For example: Orlando in March

As far as I’m concerned there aren’t a lot of rules here, if you want to vote more than once – go ahead.

Do some lobbying if you like, but please keep it brief.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
D.C. area... spring break.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm. October 2008 seems nice, because it could be like a live-semi-realization of the prelude recital.

Spring break is a tricky thing. For me, it's in early March, but for many, it can be spread all across March and April.

I'd be available pretty much anytime though.

As for location, I think NYC would be easiest, but I could probably go as far as DC, or even SC, assuming that money isn't made for my airfare.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playadom:

As for location, I think NYC would be easiest, but I could probably go as far as DC, or even SC, assuming that money isn't made for my airfare.
I vote San Francisco and let's make some money here to buy a few of our "almost adult" members airfare :-)

Seriously, while SF or any other West Coast location is certainly my #1 preference, I just might make NY - I go there on business once in a while and might schedule it around the event if I know the time sufficiently in advance.

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
By the way, here is a money making proposition, which I would be willing to start working on:

We have so much real world learning experience here, that we could probably make a decent piano learning guide, complete with different levels, selection of pieces appropriate for different levels and a companion CD with members playing these pieces. We could start by setting up a Wiki server (I can do it in about a week if I put my head to it; I am sure Mahlzeit can do it in a day) and we could see how it goes in a few weeks time :-)

If enough members are interested, we could create a separate thread here to kick ideas around...

Anybody?

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I would be happy to organize a guide. Believe me, I am no writer... but I am great to bounce ideas around with and I know the learning process well. Isn't ShiroKiro a writer?

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I like the idea of the West Coast, but Phoenix would be good too. I would think the fall before school starts (to allow our, um, "almost adults" to participate).

As for a "guide" -- I'd be happy to help write it (I'm a published author with eight books out so far).

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I second fall before school starts. Seems like a time when most people would be available during that time.

San Francisco is my biased choice...

Sedona is an awesome place, near enough to Phoenix, but superbly beautiful and a worthwhile destination in itself.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
fall 2008=ca, az, nv. of course this is because its closer;)

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Health and finances permitting to I'll go just about any place any time. I would suggest SF, NYC or London, Spring or Fall of 2009. Or BOSTON where we could also have a ABF day trip to the Fredericks Piano Museum.

http://www.frederickcollection.org/index.html

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
If we will have to pay by ourselves then I vote for England. (or any other place in Europe)

If we will have th travelling paid then it doesnt really matter.

It would be a little hard to to come in the first half of the year, but after that - anytime. ((maybe) July, August, September, October ...)

Also, Im willing to help raising money. (altough my help wouldnt be really 'super important' cause Im a beginner myself)

ex - pian00b
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by funburger:
fall 2008=ca, az, nv. of course this is because its closer;)
Well, just about everywhere has "Specials" to Vegas available for groups, and we all know there are tons of rooms/mini-stage type stuff for rent (no clue as to how much), and if we use one major hotel out-of-season, perhaps some really great block-rates might come available....

So, I will attend if possible, and vote for Las Vegas (or maybe Atlantic City if they offer the same type of deal - I have only seen them for Vegas, though).

EDIT - this choice would give spouses/others options if piano is not their thing....or maybe not.....

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rosanna:
I second fall before school starts. Seems like a time when most people would be available during that time.
Now that you mention it, that would probably work.

Only problem is staggered school starts. I don't start until the 2nd week of September, but I know schools where they start midway through August.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would probably only be able to attend if it was in Toronto or somewhere near Toronto. I can't fly anywhere right now for health reasons, and I don't really like going down to America, especially since I'd probably be by myself. In other words....one less traveling fee you have to worry about laugh

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Appealing to the majority of our members (yes, I know this is not fair to our euro members), I would choose either Las Vegas or southern California.

The reasons are that virtually all airlines fly there many times per day/hour and very cheap airfair can be had from numerous locations.

Assuming people may want to make a mini vacation out of this as well, both Vegas and southern California have a ton of recreation activites to fill that need. (SeaWorld, ammusement parks, ocean/beaches etc).

As far as timing, my vote is for late summer/early fall '08. Possibly just before Labor day. This seems to be the time of year that most will have available without possible school/work schedule conflicts.

Location will probably be a rented music hall from a local university with a nice venue and piano.

Again, refreshments and schrimp cocktail are a must.!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Btw, here's an idea to help level the financial playing field for our members who wish to attend but may incur much more traveling expenses.

For now, lets just say we came up with a way to raise some moohla. (an easy way like selling our own cd's or something but lets not get stuck on that right now).

With all the collected funds, we could possibly have some type of graded scale of "assistance" to distribute the money evenly bsaed on travel expenses.

Since (I'm assuming) it would be far less expensive for members in the U.S to travel to a U.S city, we would offer more financial assistance to members coming from abroad as for them NOT to incur more expense.

Yes, I know this may not be realistic in terms of raising enough money to do this but we are just talking and exploring possible ideas at this point.

Lets not count this idea out without at least giving a few suggestions a try.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
If it does not occur on the East Coast, I would probably not attend. I would be happy to raise money and help all I can. It would be a great step forward from being avatars and sentances to being people in the ABF.

Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
While I agree that S. CA and Vegas are very practical in terms of airfare, recreation opporunities (and weather too), we should give the E. Coast another consideration because it's shorter (and cheaper)for our European members - that's assuming there are European members considering attending.

Someone mentioned the UK. I think that's not a good idea.
1. that's a longer way for most US members to fly.
2. with the US $ so weak, I can tell you it hurts the wallet mightily. It's even expensive for continental Europeans to go to the UK.

[Linked Image]
After looking at the map from the latest recital, it looks like most of the participants are located in the midwest and east/southeast. So I would suggest Chicago - a great destination for tourists (all ages), vacations, music venues, attractions, it's easy to get around, etc, and we're really friendly here.

Rhonda
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
For personal and family health reasons, I won't be able to attend; however, I would be willing to "donate" my "airfare" to the "fund."

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission