Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#1296345 - 10/29/09 10:18 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Swingin' Barb]
blues flat 7 Offline

Loc: PA
My book is on its way too Barb. Thanks for bumping the thread up. I think there are a lot of new users here on Piano World, and many of them would probably like the way that Pete writes his materials, and gives all of the help you need, whenever you need it, right here in this thread.
There are free mini lessons back in the beginning of this thread, and you can check out the site where the books can be purchased at Pop Piano Pro

Dale

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1332145 - 12/23/09 08:44 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK, Pete, I'm getting into your book yet again!

#1335084 - 12/27/09 11:33 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
blues flat 7 Offline

Originally Posted By: angelojf
OK, Pete, I'm getting into your book yet again!

Angelojf;
How are you coming along with these books? I want to dive back into them again too.

Dale

#1335185 - 12/28/09 04:04 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: blues flat 7]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dale,

I restared Pete'e first "Take the Lead" book, and I intend on going through all three. Where are you in his books?

I am going to be using Pete's ideas to work on the Beatles song "Something," and I'll be posting my progress on this thread.

Among other things, perhaps we can use this thread to follow each other's progress, hear how we are sounding, and push each other forward? Perhaps others who are using Pete's books may feel inclined to jump in!

Good luck, and keep me posted!

-Angelo

#1336682 - 12/29/09 11:37 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
blues flat 7 Offline

Dale,

I restared Pete'e first "Take the Lead" book, and I intend on going through all three. Where are you in his books?

Good luck, and keep me posted!

-Angelo

Hi Angelo,
I am only about half way thru the first book. I did not get to practice much for the last year. Getting back to it now. I want to review a lot of the beginning of book one and work on a song called Fields of Gold. I think that one may be a little easier for me right now as I get back into playing again.
If you are in book one, what page are you up to?

Dale

#1337595 - 12/31/09 01:28 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: blues flat 7]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Dale,

I'm on p.20 of Pete's first book. I'm dissappointed because my USB jack broke on my computer; I was going to post how the Beatles' song "Somethng" sounds, using Pete's ideas - - I'm working on that song too, and hopefully I'll get the computer fixed soon.

If you feel like it, it'd be great to hear "Fields of Gold" either as you progress through it, or when you are done.

Good luck!

Angelo

#1338777 - 01/01/10 08:04 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Pete, Dale, and whoever,

Here's how "Something" sounds at this point.....
Any ideas, let me know!

http://www.box.net/shared/4jst9xj3y8

#1338787 - 01/01/10 08:12 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Angelo, that sounded cool! I've been trying out some "by ear" stuff (for years, but since just before Christmas - ) quite a bit, and you have some nice arranging going on there.

Cathy

#1338843 - 01/01/10 09:58 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
blues flat 7 Offline

Hi Pete, Dale, and whoever,

Here's how "Something" sounds at this point.....
Any ideas, let me know!

http://www.box.net/shared/4jst9xj3y8

Angelo;
Sounds like you are moving along fine on that song. I started practicing Fields of Gold today, and maybe after a week or so will send any progress that I make.
Keep up the good work...

Dale

#1338906 - 01/01/10 11:38 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: blues flat 7]
Pete the bean Offline

Loc: Canada
Angelo: Nice work! A couple of LH patterns and you have created a nice arrangement.
I hope the books are helping you gain experience applying patterns and working in new keys. -Peter

#1339617 - 01/03/10 02:27 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Pete the bean]
Pete the bean Offline

Angelo:
There is a great lesson in 4 note chords in the first 3 bars of Something.

The melody begins on a C in Bar 1. This is over a C major chord. The Chord symbol is C and the melody note is the root ,C, of the chord. The major chord is built with the Root 3rd and 5th note of the major scale. Since the melody note is a chord tone, it does not affect the chord symbol.

In the second measure the chord remains C and the melody note drops to B , the 7th note of the major scale. To account for this 4th note, which is a no chord tone, the chord symbol becomes CMaj7 to account for the non chord tone. Note that the major 7th is a 1/2 step down from C, the root or tonic of the chord. This chord is built with the Root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th note of the major scale.

In the 3rd bar the chord remains C and the melody note is Bb or a whole step down from C, the root of the chord. This chord is labelled C7 to account for the non chord tone Bb .This chord is built using the Root, 3rd, 5th, and b7th notes of the major scale.
It is important to memorize the formula of the chords construction so you get very familiar with each note of the chord and the symbols used to represent it. This skill is essential if you are trying to arrange a fake sheet or analyze an arrangement and understand why it sounds cool. You will carry over this knowledge to each new song you arrange and find you are building a vocabulary of chords, licks and idiomatic patterns that get applied over and over. With time you just end up having fun and your fingers just go to the right place.
Keep Rockin' Angelo!

Edited by Pete the bean (01/03/10 02:28 AM)

#1340449 - 01/04/10 10:59 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Pete the bean]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

THanks Dale, Jotur, and Pete:
Still working on "Something," and it sounds nice. Keep the tips coming, Pete!

#1345133 - 01/09/10 07:36 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok, folks, here's my "Something."
It ain't perfect,but here it is!
Thanks Pete!
http://www.box.net/shared/2fbtxs7elq

#1345202 - 01/09/10 08:47 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
Pete the bean Offline

Angelo: For someone with less than a year at the piano, that is a fabulous performance. I like all the little extras you added to your arrangement. That is exactly what is supposed to happen and you will get more and more tricks up your sleeve with each song you add to your repertoire. I hope my tips helped.
One important thing to take with you from this song is the descending line - Am, Am/G#, Am/G Am/F#. I use this in Take The Lead level1 pg 42 - Minor League Blues.
You will hear that in Got To Get U Into My Life as well as John Lennon's I'm losing you, to name a couple of examples. Learn those songs too so you get the progression into your head and you can use it on the fly. You can use this trick, even over 1 bar, if the melody allows for it. An example is on the bridge of Here There and Everywhere. There is a minor chord on the 3rd bar, I know I need never care. You can run the line in eight notes beginning on the and of 3.
Nice work Angelo!

#1345265 - 01/09/10 09:46 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Pete the bean]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks again Pete. Your ideas are very helpful to me, and I encourage other folks out there to check out your books!

Edited by angelojf (01/09/10 09:55 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1345513 - 01/10/10 07:48 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just another reason to check out Pete's stuff: It looks like purchasers of the book have access to his blog on which he expresses other stuff~

#1345683 - 01/10/10 12:45 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Angelo, your rendition of "Something" was "Something"!! It was excellent!

Maybe I need to buy that book!! :-)

Keep up the good work... you are destined for greatness!

Rick

#1345763 - 01/10/10 02:18 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland
Thanks Pete!

Before Christmas it was my intention to stay away from PianoWorld as much as I could and refrain from posting. However, after listening to Angelo's arrangement of 'Something' I just had to come out of hiding to say well done - this is a beautiful piece.

How inspiring!

#1345766 - 01/10/10 02:23 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Ragtime Clown]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: Ragtime Clown
Thanks Pete!

Before Christmas it was my intention to stay away from PianoWorld as much as I could and refrain from posting. However, after listening to Angelo's arrangement of 'Something' I just had to come out of hiding to say well done - this is a beautiful piece.

How inspiring!

smile

Cathy

#1345835 - 01/10/10 03:28 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
angelo

I am very impressed with your "Something"
You have sparked my interest to look further into Pete's book.
Thanks
Carl

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1345859 - 01/10/10 03:49 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: jotur]
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
Originally Posted By: Ragtime Clown
Thanks Pete!

How inspiring!

smile

Cathy

Cathy, this thread is for those of us who want to learn from each other and post positive contributions. I don't think Pete or Angelo would appreciate you jumping in here with nothing to offer.

#1345906 - 01/10/10 04:26 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Ragtime Clown]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Carl & Rick: Thanks so much for the positive feedback! Much appreciated!
Ragtime: I'm honored you came out of the silence to post; thanks!
Cathy: Thanks for the smile!

Ragtime: Cathy did post a smile, and that's a good thing!

To all: Pete is a great guy, and he's been very helpful to me. I encourage anyone with questions about his stuff to send him a PM.

THanks again, Pete!

#1346062 - 01/10/10 06:51 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
blues flat 7 Offline

To all: Pete is a great guy, and he's been very helpful to me. I encourage anyone with questions about his stuff to send him a PM.

Angelo;
Your Something is becoming Fantastic! Keep up the good work. I am still working on Fields. Going slower than I thought, but still trying to get it. I like how each of the lessons in Pete's books gets you to work with some different chords. Like you said, Pete is a great guy, and he is very helpful with anything you need help with.
A reminder to everyone, you can hear some of the audios of materials that are in the books right from the home site of Pop Piano Pro. Here is the link.

Take the Lead books 1 & 2 and Pop Piano Pro

Click on Listening booth to hear the audios.

It looks like purchasers of the book have access to his blog on which he expresses other stuff~

Yes, Angelo is right... There is a lot more learning material on the blog too!

Dale

Edited by blues flat 7 (01/10/10 07:19 PM)

#1346596 - 01/11/10 10:31 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: blues flat 7]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks again for the feedback folks. Pete has provided me with much personalized help with "Something" and I like how the song sounds. I needed the personalized help, because after all, I'm only on p.22 of his first book! I want to say that this song came through sounding like this as a result of Pete's personalized help, and not as a result of my experience with the books.

Edited by angelojf (01/11/10 03:15 PM)

#1347371 - 01/12/10 02:02 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Angelo,

It is very encouraging to see your progress. What is interesting is the choice of Beatles songs - Here There and Everywhere in particular. Did you work with Pete on these arrangements using the printed sheet music or did you draw up your own arrangement.

#1347430 - 01/12/10 06:30 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Ragtime Clown]
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tony,
Here, There and Everywhere was done using the Sudnow Method.
"Something" was done using some of my ideas and Pete's personalized help, but not using Pete's books.

#1347723 - 01/12/10 01:58 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: angelojf]
Pete the bean Offline

Angelo asked me to show him what a pop song would sound like applying the material learned in my books.

The basic arrangement for Something uses 3 patterns in the LH. Root,5,Root,9,10, and Root 5 Root,3,5. There is a throb pattern at the descending minor line and some octave works in the bridge that descends the major scale.

All these patterns are in applied in the books. The pieces move through major and minor keys so students learn chords and how to use them to create arrangements, scales and some basic music theory and the ability to play in different keys. Due to copyright restrictions, all the pieces in the book are original material.

#1347884 - 01/12/10 04:55 PM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Pete the bean]
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pete, very interesting.

At the moment I just cannot seem to bring my piano playing to any satisfactory level. After three years of lessons I think I have developed many skills and technique. However, the art of 'song play' is a totally different skill that lessons obviously teach.

In order that I too make enough progress to play Something would you recommend that I go through your book from beginning to end and avoid everything else.

#1348241 - 01/13/10 12:33 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Ragtime Clown]
Pete the bean Offline

Rag Time Clown: Nope. I would not avoid everything else. No book in the world is going to give you everything. Everything you do in music adds up to better musicianship. Song play comes with years of experience
Learn lots of songs and styles. Figure out what makes them tick. Stick with them until they are deeply ingrained. Study theory, history, and sight reading,ear training and all other aspects of music. Keep at lessons with a teacher that has your respect. Self study is a very difficult road with lots of wrong turns and pot holes.

Music is a long term project. There is no way to short circuit years of study, playing experience and sound like a seasoned player. I have been at it 40 years teaching for 25 and still have a long way to go.

#1348275 - 01/13/10 01:30 AM Re: Pop Piano Pro - Hot Tips and Mini Lessons [Re: Pete the bean]
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pete, your advice is most welcome. I have identified a major problem in my piano playing. I am able to read music fairly well but when I bring my hands to the keys I think I have not developed any rythmn in my play.

If I can explain it another way - I need to be able to count the rythmn and this in turn will show me when to bring my fingers down on the keys. This is more apparrent when I try to play ballads or classical pieces.

I can play arpeggio style with ease and chords but when I am faced with a new piece I cannot get the rythmn. Piano lessons are probably the only way to resolve this. I feel as if this is the stumbling block that I need to unlock as I've just grinded to a halt!

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (adanepst, accordeur, acortot, 36251, 46 invisible), 1747 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
Today at 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
Today at 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
Today at 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
Today at 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission