Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#107735 - 06/27/07 07:22 PM Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Sedum Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC, Canada
Hi
Does anybody have any experience (or heard of anything) about Yamaha pianos made in Taiwan, specifically a U3 piano of about 20 years old? I would appreciate any comments or feedback that anyone may have before I ask a technician to check it out. The piano has been played very little, based on the signs on the hammers and the bass bridge seems to be in good condition (no cracks) when I inspected it. Thank you.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#107736 - 06/28/07 01:29 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
All Yamaha U3 s are made in the Hamamatsu factory in Japan.
Maybe it was an older one refurbished in Taiwan though I have never even heard of any piano facilities in Taiwan though they might exist. Maybe the same factory that makes Louie Vuton purses.
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#107737 - 06/28/07 05:34 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Kuyt Offline

Loc: California
"Maybe the same factory that makes Louie Vuton purses."

Aren't you the comedian?

#107738 - 06/28/07 03:42 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Kenny Blankenship Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast
Junque from 20 years ago? you got the wrong country or wrong model #? Grey market junque or a jeans factory...

#107739 - 06/28/07 07:10 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Well, when the T series Yamies came out, the cabinetry was being made in Taiwan, then added to the assembly of the piano in the USA.

I think the assembly will now be in Indonesia for the T116.

U3 was always made in Japan.

I hope that helps,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#107740 - 06/28/07 07:17 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Sedum Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC, Canada
Thank you for all your input and feedback. There is indeed a yamaha factory in Taiwan but of course I did not know if they actually made U3. I think that a letter T in front of the serial number indicates that the cabinet was probably made in Taiwan but now I know that it cannot be a U3

#107741 - 06/28/07 09:10 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
I found out that Yamaha does make the cabinets for the T116 and the T121 in Taiwan.I always thought that the T stood for Thomaston,Georgia where these pianos are assembled. Learn something new in this forum everyday
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#107742 - 06/28/07 10:21 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
al_spinner Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I believe the "T" does stand for Thomaston, but only on certain models like P22, and only at the end of a model number. My P22 is a "P22T", made in Thomaston, and also has a serial number that starts with T and a six-digit number. I don't think any model that STARTS with a T has anything to do with Thomaston.

The below Yamaha site page shows the serial numbers that have T:
http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentD...D410010,00.html

#107743 - 07/08/07 02:51 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
singapore qualified technician Offline

Loc: singapore
i have seen taiwan made yamaha ,they have the T before the serial nos,the factory is in taoyuan,app 2hrs car ride from taipei,
they are not as good as original made in japan ofcourse,

#107744 - 03/26/08 06:56 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
spook Offline

Loc: Europe
Does somebody know if u3's are made in Taiwan?

#107745 - 03/27/08 08:22 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
athomik Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Karel225:
Does somebody know if u3's are made in Taiwan? [/b]
As has been stated previously, U series pianos are made in Hamamatsu, Japan.

#107746 - 03/27/08 09:54 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
This question is often coming up, so please let me offer my take on this issue.

There always seems to be an underlying assumption of "quality" when such question is asked, a question which would not be sufficiently answered if one would leave out or ignore the progress and advancement of the piano industry in many other parts of the world today.

The Yamaha U3 may have been been made in Japan but today, as far as piano making is concerned, bears this no particular siginificance as to the piano's quality, especially its "musical" quality.

"Made in" is a rapidly disappearing appendix to any product in today's world and the only thing of interest is the actual quality-value-price relationship of such product.

Volkswagen made very good and totally reliable cars in the 50's and 60's but today I would prefer any 'made in Korea' new car to the simple reliability an old beetle.

Yamahas have basically not been changed, let alone "improved" for the last 20 years, so while the U3 was a good piano and was indeed "made in Japan", there is tones of other pianos either equal or even better on the market today - brand new.

This may or may not be of concern to you.

But could be for many others.

Happy choosing your future piano!

Norbert \:\)

#107747 - 03/30/08 10:02 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
spook Offline

I can't I get a clear answer. Yes or No. Also related to the serial numbers of Yamaha piano's.

Does the U-series have one kind of consecutive serial numbers? Yes or No. Correct me if i'm wrong but do I understand from this forum that there are two type of serial numbers used for the U1 and U3 series?

#107748 - 03/30/08 11:01 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Clear answer to your first question: NO.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#107749 - 03/30/08 06:46 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
spook Offline

Can somebody give me a clear answer to my second question? Because someone offered me a U3 piano from...Taiwan he said, with the serial number 6.43x.xxx from 2006?

#107750 - 10/01/08 01:29 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
thx1138 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by athomik:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Karel225:
Does somebody know if u3's are made in Taiwan? [/b]
As has been stated previously, U series pianos are made in Hamamatsu, Japan. [/b]
Stating something repeatedly does not make it true. I live in Taiwan. There is of course a Yamaha factory here near Taipei in Taoyuan county. I have seen many pianos with Taiwan Yamaha U1 stenciled onto the plate in black letters. I am pretty sure they make other models here too.

#107751 - 10/01/08 02:36 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Malaysia
A few questions for you all.

thx1138, how do you say it's a Yamaha factory? Does they have the 'Yamaha' name, on the buildings and the lorries?
Are you sure it's Yamaha that manufactures pianos? Or it's motorbike? Brooomm... Brooomm...
Do they manufacture a full piano or just piano parts? Have you seen any pianos put in crates and being sent in to the lorries or whatever transportation they use.

Quote:
I have seen many pianos with Taiwan Yamaha U1 stenciled onto the plate in black letters.
What do you mean so? Did you see the 'word' Yamaha in any parts of the pianos? Why should Yamaha stencil pianos when they have been a giant in this industry?
I myself would be convinced if that factory manufactures digital pianos, keyboards or any electronic devices for the Yamahas..

I am not picking anyone, but I am really curious. I have never heard that Yamaha is from Taiwan before!

#107752 - 10/01/08 02:59 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
thx1138 Offline

I too am curious and google.com and the internet are good for curious people. As you may know Taiwan was a Japanese colony for the first half of the 20th century. Using google I discovered this web page about Yamaha's Taiwan factory. http://www.yamahakhs.com/ IMHO while Made in Japan is good, Made in Taiwan is a a close second.

Yes, the word Yamaha is on the outside of the piano, and when you lift the lid, as I stated, it is stenciled onto the plate. I would like a taller U2 or U3. If I find out more I will post in a few weeks and maybe even a photo. The pianos I am thinking of are at least 20 years old. But the factory is still active as you can see at http://www.yamahakhs.com/

#107753 - 10/01/08 03:17 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the link.

However, I don't find any relevant info stating that Yamaha is made in Taiwan. It's just a site of Yamaha in Taiwan. Malaysia has their own one as well, the one that tells you what happens in Malaysia that's related to Yamaha, any sales, events, products info etc.

Nonetheless, your C3 there is halved of our price here. I guess it's because of the mark-up in Malaysia so does the transport fees and duties that make it so expensive. The halved price shouldn't be a Taiwan product.
I stand firm on my point that the real C series starts from C3, and no way Yamaha would let C3 manufacture in other places other than Hamamatsu, Japan.

I can read Chinese, both Traditional and Simplified one, very well.

#107754 - 10/01/08 04:34 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
thx1138 Offline

"The new Gallery Collection and Professional Gallery Collection are based on designs from the top-selling models and finishes from the previous line. The model M460 replaces the M450, the M560 replaces the M500 and the P660 replaces the P600. Many of the components are exactly the same as the previous series, and all are of equal or better quality than the earlier line.

These models are produced in Yamaha's Taiwan factory, which has a significant history in the company's expansion in the piano industry. Taiwan Yamaha was the first Yamaha piano factory outside of Japan and has been producing upright pianos since 1969. Its highly skilled and experienced labor force uses advanced Yamaha-designed machinery and adheres to the Company's superior quality control standards. It boasts extensive experience in building wood grain, designer cabinets for markets around the globe."

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...D551576,00.html

I am saying I saw uprights that say Yamaha on the front and inside say "Taiwan Yamaha U1". This is getting annoying. You can choose to believe me or not, if you can't figure out how to use Google, I can't be bothered to upload a photo. In the above Yamaha link they confirm that "Taiwan Yamaha was the first Yamaha piano factory outside of Japan and has been producing upright pianos since 1969." It is possible that since 1969 Yamaha made U1's only in Japan and stamped "Taiwan Yamaha" on them. Yamaha does state that the new M460, M560 and P660 are made at their Taiwan factory. If anyone finds out the other models that "Yamaha's Taiwan factory, which has a significant history in the company's expansion in the piano industry" has churned out over the last 39 years I am interested.

#107755 - 10/01/08 07:06 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
athomik Offline

Quote:
Stating something repeatedly does not make it true. I live in Taiwan. There is of course a Yamaha factory here near Taipei in Taoyuan county. I have seen many pianos with Taiwan Yamaha U1 stenciled onto the plate in black letters. I am pretty sure they make other models here too. [/QB]
In almost 25 years, I have never come across a U1 or U3 which has not been produced in Japan (at least here in the UK). Yamaha in Taiwan does produce pianos and piano parts, but not for their top models and I'm pretty certain they weren't around 20 years ago. I've also come across some evidence of a certain amount of cloning going on, so maybe "Taiwan Yamaha U1" pianos might not even have anything to do with Yamaha. BTW this cloning has also happened in China with some electronic Yamaha keyboards.

#107756 - 10/01/08 09:39 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
thx1138 Offline

Yamaha states on Yamaha's website "Taiwan Yamaha was the first Yamaha piano factory outside of Japan and has been producing upright pianos since 1969." This statement from Yamaha, and the existence of the pianos I have seen, establishes clearly that they are all too real.

It does stand to reason that more of the pianos manufactured here in Taiwan would stay in Asia than get shipped halfway around the world. It would be interesting to ask Yamaha, or research what models were made at the Taiwan Yamaha factory over the last 39 years. Yamaha seems rather proud of the factory in their press release.

If you come to Taiwan I will be happy to show them to you so you can decide if you deem them authentic. Or if you speak Mandarin, you could also find piano dealers here on the internet, phone them up, and they would probably humor you by confirming what it says on the plates of the pianos in their inventory.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...D551576,00.html

#107757 - 10/01/08 09:55 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
athomik Offline

That could explain why these pianos never appeared in Europe. Non-Japanese models for Europe tend to be built by Kembles in the UK. (The old Eterna range being an exception to this)

#107758 - 10/01/08 10:08 AM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am with athomik. I doubt if the U series is manufactured in the Taiwan. I find U1 to be manufactured in Indonesia is merely a marketing strategy. U1 is one of Yamaha best selling model, and now they are trying to make more people to buy that model, thus they bring U1 to Indonesia, and label them as U1J, to prevent confusion.

From that article, why shouldn't they say they manufacture U1 instead of the M thingy? Certainly readers will be more convinced if they come to know the Taiwan factory manufactures U1 rather than the M series..

I also doubt if the Taiwan factory assembles the pianos or builds the pianos. As far as I am concerned, for the Indonesia factory, they just assemble the pianos and build the cabinets only. All parts, actions, soundboards are from the Japan. A way for the Japanese to ensure the quality control.

Anyway, thx1138, I thank you very much for letting us know that Yamaha does have a factory in Taiwan. Who knows tomorrow a Vietnamese will tell us that they have a Kawai factory! \:D \:D

#107759 - 10/02/08 02:31 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Today Yamaha has manufacturing facilities at:
Kemble in U.K. since 1986
Hangzhou in China since 2003 ("H" serial prefix)
Xiaoshan in China since 1997
Taoyuan Hsien in Taiwan since 1969 ("YT" serial prefix)
Hamamatsu in Japan
Kakegawa in Japan since 1965
Iwata in Japan since 1966

Here is the line up of products distriubted into the U.S.:
M460, M560, P660 series are built in Taiwan.
CN116, P22, T118 series are built in China.
T121, U1, YUS1, U3, YUS3, YUS5 are built in Japan.
GB1 built in Indonisia
All the rest of the grands in Japan

I am told that some manufacturing is being phased out of Hamamatsu to expanded facilities in Kakegawa over time.

Yamaha had a joint venture factory with Pearl River in Guangzhou, China from 1995 - 2007. They build one model only to ship to U.S., the UP-125M1. I was told they built other models for far east distribution.

Yamaha's factory in Thomaston, GA, U.S. was closed March 2007. That factory built M425, M500, P600, T116, and P22 series instruments.

#107760 - 10/02/08 04:11 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Wow, facts!.
Thanks, Marty.

A question. I know U2 is not marketed in the US. Is Yamaha still making that model in any factory and if so, where?

#107761 - 10/02/08 05:02 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
BWKRELL Offline

Loc: San Jose
Hi Marty:
Do you have info like this for Kawai also?????
do they have any factory in other countries???
Thx

#107762 - 10/02/08 06:48 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Sedum:

In today's market I am puzzled why anyone would bother to look at a 20 years old piano when 'as good' or even better pianos are available on the market - new.

Will one day half of the piano owner population of North America touch their head in bewilderment of what they were doing?

[we're doing it right now concerning some other matters... \:o ]

In the Orient, pianos of this vintage are thrown out lock-stock-and-barrel, conveniently ending up over here.

For a reason.....

Norbert

#107763 - 10/02/08 08:06 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Kawai has manufacturing facilities in:
Japan since 1927
Malaysia since 1991
North Carolina, U.S. 1988-2004
Indonesia since 2001
China since 2004

#107764 - 10/02/08 11:22 PM Re: Yamaha U3 piano made in Taiwan
BWKRELL Offline

Loc: San Jose
Thanks Marty.
Good to know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (anrpiano, 36251, Al LaPorte, 50 invisible), 1387 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153623 Topics
2251638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello + buying my first piano (long post)
by Ben_NZ
04/21/14 08:54 AM
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission