Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
132 registered (Anita Potter, Auver, accordeur, ando, AZNpiano, 45 invisible), 1423 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1079040 - 01/20/09 09:43 PM Newbie Advice
BarbVA Offline

Do you find that you pick a favorite song and stick with it or play a variety.

I started just about 2 weeks ago teaching myself and moved through the kids level 1A Alfred Book and Recital book, in about a week, and the only songs I really liked out of it were Quiet River and The Indian Song, so I played them a lot, along with Level one printouts of Beethoven's 5th and America that I printed from a link off of this site.

Then I read here a lot, and decided to get a teacher. So I had my first lesson, and she gave me two pieces, of which I only like one, The Rainbow Song, so I play that every day several times, and she gave me two books, but I can't find anything in them that I enjoy playing.

So for a week now, its been just the Rainbow Song, scales, an arpeggio, and some cadences, and I'm bored to tears with the rest of it, but have another week before my next lesson and I get my Alfred's all in One level 1 book.

Any suggestions to keep the enthusiasm up, without driving my family crazy with the 150th round of The Rainbow Song?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1079041 - 01/20/09 10:32 PM Re: Newbie Advice
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
\:\) Ahhhh yes, I know what you mean.

I find it very difficult to work on pieces that I do not like or enjoy at all. I think this is true for most of people...

That said, there are different degrees of liking something (from "love it!" to "it's ok" to "hate it!"). I don't expect to love every piece, but I try to give a fair attempt at anything my teacher assigns... if I end up really hating it after that (it's happened!) - I'll let him know and we move on...

Trying to play something you hate is usually counter-productive, you don't enjoy, so you don't put as much effort or time into the practice, so it doesn't get better, so you are stuck with it another week... and so on. It's much better to let your teacher know, and find something you do enjoy and can learn from!

As far as how to still get something out of a piece that you've played 150 times ;\) --- I try to get very focused on little things I want to work on. Have you worked on the dynamics (loud versus soft sections)? Any articulations (accents, staccato, etc)? Has your teacher asked you to focus on any technical aspects (I'm working on not bouncing my wrist with the beat on a certain song, for example). If you like the piece, have you tried memorizing it, and then really listening to how it sounds when you play?

For me, finding little details to try to "perfect" helps me stay interested beyond the phase of, "ok, I can play all the notes, what's next!?"

Also, if you're up to it - you could start looking at how it's put together... what does the melody do, how does it move, do you know enough to start identifying chords and their functions?

Just some random thoughts... hope they help!

#1079042 - 01/20/09 11:22 PM Re: Newbie Advice
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I drove my wife nuts with many of the early pieces. But its part of paying your dues. Some of the stuff you might not like will have technique that helps in the long run.

2 years later I'm finally playing lots of stuff I like and my family likes also. I'm sure the Hanon and scale work I do now is also not fun to listen too.

I work nights and try to practice when the house is empty, except for my maestro mini Dachshund Freddie... \:D

#1079043 - 01/21/09 12:28 AM Re: Newbie Advice
accidental Offline

Loc: Garden City, MI
It's difficult to play pieces you don't really enjoy, but sometimes we have to look deeper into what we're trying to accomplish by learning these pieces.

Next time you get a lesson or a piece from your teacher, talk about what you're trying to learn from each piece. Once you know what you're looking for, you may find it more enjoyable to practice, because you have something to focus on other than learning to play a song you don't really enjoy.

Define the expectation up front, and it'll take away a lot of the frustration later on.

Good luck!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
12/19/14 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
12/19/14 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160002 Topics
2349620 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission