Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
116 registered (Abby Pianoman, acoxcae, AndyP, anamnesis, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1556 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 45 of 48 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 >
Topic Options
#2052698 - 03/22/13 08:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: sinophilia]
Stubbie Online   content

Loc: Midwest USA
Yeah, I agree, Classy Rag is tough to get sounding good. It needs a certain amount of speed, a bucket of confidence, and the bouncy spirit/syncopation of ragtime.

I don't have any of those with that piece, so I always stank at it. eek

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2066969 - 04/19/13 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I'll try to resurrect this thread with a lament.

I did Swan Lake - the pedal is tricky, it doesn't sound amazing but it's there, and I like it. Then I moved on to Scheherazade and the theme from Schubert's Unfinished Melody and well... I am in a rut! It's happened to me before, but not this bad. I try to apply all the good practicing methods but my progress with these pieces is terrible and I would do anything else instead! Maybe I'm hitting a wall because I went too fast with the first two books... or maybe I'm just not used to working so hard. Any thoughts?

#2066994 - 04/19/13 09:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I'm pretty sure the rut is because you are all alone on this thread!
Hang in there--gahdzilla and I are both slaughtering Danny Boy, so it won't be long until you have some company up here in Book 3.

Seriously, you're probably doing fine; up and down is the normal course of things. You know it is; you told me yourself! Play something fun or work out something new and easy. Or load up an online Wish list of sheet music.

#2067034 - 04/19/13 10:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Thank you malkin, I'm feeling stuck right now, and I guess listening to Martha Argerich all the time isn't helping! laugh

#2067194 - 04/19/13 03:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: sinophilia]
Stubbie Online   content

Sinophilia, glad you resurrected the Book 3 thread, even with a lament!

I agree--Scheherazade and Unfinished... are tricky. Scheherazade never clicked with me and Unfinished's dotted eighth-sixteenth note combos in the left hand were (and are) difficult for me. The next piece, Spooky Story, I played through once and that was it.

But the pieces that follow clicked with me: Steal Away (easy, but very peaceful), Come Back to Sorrento (peppy; a lot of fun), Magic Carpet Ride (eh; once through and that was it), In the Hall of the Mountain King (kind of fun and such a familiar tune), An American Hymn (again, peaceful and not too hard but ultimately kind of boring in the left hand), Adagio in A Major (went from here to Chopin's Prelude in A Major in the back of the book) and so on.

All of this is the long way around to saying that, in my opinion, Book 3 is far less linearly graded in difficulty from front to back than Books 1 and 2--i.e., earlier pieces in Book 3 are not necessarily easier than later pieces (many pieces introduce new keys). I think moving around in the book is reasonable and sometimes just a little more time and experience playing other pieces helps with the harder ones. So--give yourself permission to try some of the pieces that follow and see if they click with you!

#2067229 - 04/19/13 04:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I can only share your feeling of being in a rut. I don't think book 2 is particularly linear and since I ordered book 3 at the same time I alternate between them. I can tell that even if I mastered book 2 I would still have got stuck in book 3. Both books have some easy songs and then some doozies. But I believe each of the hard songs has something specific to teach me, that will be required later on as well.

My solution to the problem is to incorporate small sections of the songs (the tricky bits) into my regular practice. So I might only practice a difficult chord shape or progression. I find this helpful but because improvements only happen at a snails pace I just have to wait until ability catches up with enthusiasm.

#2067301 - 04/19/13 06:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: earlofmar]
tlh1 Offline

Loc: Florida
I've just noticed that it's been over a year since I've started with Alfred's #3. I really haven't made much progress in the book. 'Fandango' was fun and not too difficult, 'Modern Sounds' a bit boring, and now I play other things again. I also upgraded to an acoustic piano (a used Yamaha C3) in November, which required some adjustments smile I'm still planing/hoping to finish Alfred #3, so I will definitely continue to check this thread.

Since it might be somewhat helpful to others, I add a few words about my experience with some non-Alfred-AllInOne pieces.

For instance, I've learned two minuets from Anna Magdalena's Notebook (BWV Anh. 114 and 115), which were pretty difficult for me. Especially the left hand (and left-right hand coordination) felt very different from the typical Alfred pieces. Anyway, I believe these minuets really helped me advance (at my very modest pace).

I've also worked on Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1 for several weeks. At first I was really excited about my progress but never finished the piece because I still don't have enough control to pull off the right sound in a reproducible fashion.

A good choice (in my opinion) is Beethoven's Sonatina in G Major. It's in Alfred's Sonatina Album and I hope to play more of those. I also bought Schumann's Album for the Young but haven't tried any of those pieces yet.

I also noticed that I've increased my "storage capacity". At the end of Alfred #2, I could usually memorize 1-2 pieces at a time. Whenever I've learned a new one, an old song dropped out. This has gone up to 4-5 or so.

What's the next Alfred highlight? The Haydn Serenade? I still feel bad about not sticking closer to our dear friend Alfred ...

EDIT: I've just checked my old post. I reached #3 in August--thank God (and registered in February 2012). That makes me feel a bit better ...

Edited by tlh1 (04/19/13 06:54 PM)

#2067374 - 04/19/13 10:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for that tlh1, I was looking for something classical away from the Alfred books that didn't look too advanced so I just downloaded the music for the two minuets from imsip.org. Will get stuck in.

#2067451 - 04/20/13 04:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Thank you Stubbie, I guess I'm too focused on the progressiveness and don't allow myself to wander about much.

On one hand I feel like I should be better now, after over 1 year, than I actually am; on the other hand I can see that I have gained some general skills - specifically I can read much better and my fingers usually know where the right keys are. I find myself looking around more, downloading scores and trying out things that are not in the Alfred's book. I did this with the song I'm supposed to record for the ABF recital. Plus I'm doing quite a lot of sight-reading. Still, the more I go on, the more I realize how terribly complex this is. I once thought the piano was a somewhat easy instrument, because you don't need to struggle just to hold the thing or produce a sound like with a violin or woodwind. But with most instruments you only produce a single note at any given time! Sometimes I'm a bit overwhelmed.

#2067483 - 04/20/13 07:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: sinophilia]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia

On one hand I feel like I should be better now, after over 1 year, than I actually am; on the other hand I can see that I have gained some general skills - specifically I can read much better and my fingers usually know where the right keys are. I once thought the piano was a somewhat easy instrument, because you don't need to struggle just to hold the thing or produce a sound like with a violin or woodwind. But with most instruments you only produce a single note at any given time! Sometimes I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself sinophilia, obviously if you are on Alfred Book 3 after only a year you are way ahead of most. You like many others here have also decided to give it your all - anyone can play piano in a pop style and sound pretty good with only a scattering of knowledge and a book of chords. To take the life long learning path is not the easiest but the most satisfying.

#2067551 - 04/20/13 10:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: earlofmar]
tlh1 Offline

Hi sino, sometimes it's better not to overthink the process (i.e. the opposite of what we are doing in this forum). I believe we all go through tougher phases when we just practice and don't see much progress. And anyway, you have been super fast.

I do understand your earlier statement about listening to Martha Argerich. On the weekend I sometimes practice, then (just by chance) listen to a Gould CD or some semi-pros on youtube etc., return to my piano and am deeply surprised how "different" it sounds. I guess that's subconscious wishful-thinking ...

Hi earl, please ask me if you need fingering tips for the minuets. They are beautiful pieces.

#2067561 - 04/20/13 10:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Yeah well, unfortunately I'm a very impatient person, it's a miracle that I got this far wink

Talking about extra stuff, I had tackled Bach a few months ago but couldn't learn anything properly for the life of me. I think I'll try again this summer (I have the First Lessons in Bach book).

#2067577 - 04/20/13 11:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: sinophilia]
tlh1 Offline

I bought the same book. My impatience shows in the number of sheet music books/albums that I've bought already during my short (and sluggish) piano career. Buying them is so much easier then playing just the first few measures ... Thank God, they are rather inexpensive smile

#2067677 - 04/20/13 04:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: tlh1]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tlh1

Hi earl, please ask me if you need fingering tips for the minuets. They are beautiful pieces.

Thanks again tlhl, I started the first minuet yesterday and actually had a lot of fun trying to work out the fingering. First time I have ever had to do that as most of my pieces are with my teacher or from Alfred's

#2083942 - 05/17/13 02:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I have finished Alfred #3.

#2083950 - 05/17/13 02:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: PianoStudent88]
sinophilia Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

Congrats! thumb

I am drifting away from it right now but I want to get there too sooner or later!

#2084036 - 05/17/13 07:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: sinophilia]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It is nice to hear of someone finishing Book 3, especially as I am just starting it.

#2084450 - 05/17/13 09:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: PianoStudent88]
Stubbie Online   content

Most excellent!

#2084718 - 05/18/13 12:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: PianoStudent88]
Lyn in AZ Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
wow
Congrats!!
That's quite an accomplishment.

#2085518 - 05/20/13 01:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Is there life after book 3?

#2085648 - 05/20/13 09:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

After book 3 is the beginning, not the end!

#2085981 - 05/20/13 08:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: malkin]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin
After book 3 is the beginning, not the end!

Seems to be smirk

#2096632 - 06/05/13 11:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Bump for book 3. I'm on "The Unfinished Symphony" currently. But I don't really care much for this song.

#2096650 - 06/06/13 12:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

sounds interesting on my cd, and a little difficult

#2096837 - 06/06/13 09:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I went looking for this thread the other day and got distracted.

I am working on Alberti bass this week.
Seeing it in print like that makes me want to visit the fishmonger for some bass and make up a new dish!

#2100277 - 06/10/13 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: malkin]
sinophilia Offline

I am working on Alberti bass this week.
Seeing it in print like that makes me want to visit the fishmonger for some bass and make up a new dish!

I always end up thinking of the fish too when I see "bass", because I have to figure out the right pronunciation every time! I keep mixing them up.

I'm currently trying to polish Jazz Ostinato in C# minor (skipped quite a few songs, but will go back to them later). Actually I've been working on this one for over a month now, and new mistakes keep creeping in when I try to speed it up as I'd like to. If I look at my right hand at the wrong time, I keep missing the black keys with my left pinky. Frustrating. Don't know if I'll ever be able to record this.

#2100569 - 06/10/13 07:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

With Grand Piano Band, I have to work pretty hard to make it sound pretty bad. I apologized to my husband for this and he said it sounded like a fun song. I'm hoping it will be more fun when I can play it a little more competently. I'm still not wild about the pieces in Alfie, but I'm still working on Martha Mier and now also on the Stravinsky "Cinq Doits" which look easy, but I still have to work at them.

#2100635 - 06/10/13 09:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: malkin]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm still not wild about the pieces in Alfie, but I'm still working on Martha Mier and now also on the Stravinsky "Cinq Doits" which look easy, but I still have to work at them.

I can't say I am wild about the Alfred pieces either. A few on initial listen sound good to me and I don't have a problem trying to learn them. With other pieces though it may be a more concentrated listen that inspires me or someone else playing it that gets me motivated.

#2100764 - 06/11/13 03:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

I'm probably musically naive, but I actually like the fact that most pieces in the Alfred's books are popular, memorable tunes. If I know how it sounds I will probably me more willing to give it a try. Although at this point I'm more attracted by the real thing and some arrangements definitely start to sound annoying. Must be the reason why I'm finally moving to other things. after 2.5 books, just when the end of this c(o)urse was at hand.

#2100817 - 06/11/13 07:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oops, I meant 'Cinq Doigts.'

Psychologically, sticking with Alfred will work for me. I'm not doing anything else 'in order' so it will seem like progress to keep moving through the pages.

Page 45 of 48 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
11/28/14 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 06:58 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159431 Topics
2341986 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission