Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, 43 invisible), 1644 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76982 Members
42 Forums
159227 Topics
2339017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Page 3 of 48 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 47 48 >
Topic Options
#1079270 - 02/29/08 10:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
So what's the first piece in your Book 3, Mark? I have the All in One edition, so I know there will be differences.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1079271 - 02/29/08 11:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark, congrats, i think you will enjoy book 3 very much:)

irishmak, how are you liking book 3??

and does anyone know what happens after book 3?? do we do grow wings and can fly or something as i am really hoping something great happens when i am finished with it \:D hehehehehe.

#1079272 - 02/29/08 02:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So far, book 3 is ok. Some pieces I certainly enjoy more than others. And I do like the extra theory stuff in the All in One book, since I do need to get up to speed on that stuff, too. Just got thru the diminished 7th chords theory stuff and am working on the Clementi Prelude. Will have to evaluate (after talking with my teacher) whether I want to tackle the Bach WTC Prelude that the book says you can after the Clementi (the Bach is in the Ambitious section at the back of the book). I will try to learn it at some point, but I am also working on some things outside the Alfred's book, so don't know how much more I want to pile on right now.

I believe, that, yes, after book 3, you do sprout wings.... \:D

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1079273 - 02/29/08 09:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
So what's the first piece in your Book 3, Mark? I have the All in One edition, so I know there will be differences. [/b]
hi Mak, the first piece in book 3 is a goofy title called "A Super-Special Sorta Song". followed by Calypso Rhuba...

Mark...

Thanks again Funburger!

#1079274 - 02/29/08 10:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok, so the beginning is the same. Super Special song I have to admit was less than enthusiastic for me- the title and the lyrics were kinda lame. But I enjoyed playing Calypso Rhumba. I still go back to that one now and then.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079275 - 03/09/08 05:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well I'm on Fandango which is a very nice piece. I haven't been a fan of the Latin pieces but this one is a keeper...I added someone's U tube demo of it on the opening post in this thread...

Mark...

#1079276 - 03/11/08 11:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IamElise Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark...:
Well it took a while, offically started book 3 today. Still cleaning up the back end of book two...

Also the first anniversary with my teacher... [/b]
Mark, that is fantastic!

Also next week is my first anni. with my teach. I have 9 more songs left in book 2. Book 3 looks scary \:\)
She has been great and I have really progressed with her. I want to get her some'n maybe a gift card to her favourite catalog....

Did you get your teach anything?...

is there a protocol to this... anyone?

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!

#1079277 - 03/11/08 11:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IamElise Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by the...:
i am officially done with level 3! i started level 1 in may of last year and i finished level 3 a few weeks ago. now i'm just working on whatever my teacher gives me:

turkish march
chopin nocturne 20

things like that

i'm also writing music and scoring out songs, yeah. [/b]
well good for you. only 1 post.
um.... busy, huh \:\)

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!

#1079278 - 03/11/08 12:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IamElise:
 Quote:
Well it took a while, offically started book 3 today. Still cleaning up the back end of book two...

Also the first anniversary with my teacher... [/b]
Mark, that is fantastic!

Also next week is my first anni. with my teach. I have 9 more songs left in book 2. Book 3 looks scary \:\)
She has been great and I have really progressed with her. I want to get her some'n maybe a gift card to her favourite catalog....

Did you get your teach anything?...

is there a protocol to this... anyone? [/b]
Nothing for the anniversary, but a music book and a gift card for Christmas...

#1079279 - 03/11/08 01:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
 Quote:
um.... busy, huh
He registered in 2005. teee heeeee Talk about the silent type. he he

#1079280 - 03/11/08 10:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
the... Offline

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by the...:
i am officially done with level 3! i started level 1 in may of last year and i finished level 3 a few weeks ago. now i'm just working on whatever my teacher gives me:

turkish march
chopin nocturne 20

things like that

i'm also writing music and scoring out songs, yeah. [/b]
um.... busy, huh \:\) [/b]
haha, i'm a lurker at heart. i do check the forum everyday, i just rarely post!

anyway, i'm working on

take five
scott joplin's maple leaf rag
the prelude in c minor from bach's well tempered clavier
sonata pathetique (first movement) by beethoven

#1079281 - 03/31/08 03:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

My book 3 update:

Have been in book 3 for about a month and find the book very enjoyable for the most part. I thought these larger pieces would slow me down but so far so good. When I hit Serenade from atring quartet I went into a panic. I thought my left hand deserterd me, butby practicing the Alberti bass I was able to over come that issue.

Book 3 pieces with comments so far:

A Super Special Sorta Song - ok, not a favorite. I call it a paying your dues type piece,,, \:D

Calypso Rhumba - average, interesting

Fandango - Excellent, love this one. Sweet sounding...

Modern Sounds - OK, second part very nice.

Serenade - scary at first, lots of work. Very enjoyable and challenging piece.

A very Special day - written by Palmer who wrote the first piece, Average at best. I don't like this writers work.

A Classy Rag - very nice piece still working on...

Prelude in D Minor - listen to this magical sounding piece from a couple of U tube players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBL11nS9Loc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxD_KAN0YNA&feature=related

#1079282 - 03/31/08 05:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A Super Special Sorta Song - I was not very fond of this one myself. But I got thru it.

Calypso Rhumba - I like this one. Still go back and play it now and again.

Fandango - This one I was not thrilled with. It was ok.

Modern Sounds - Kinda neat sounding.

Serenade - Yeah, this one was a bit tough. Then again, my Alberti bass leaves a lot to be desired!

A very Special day - I wasn't especially fond of this one but my teacher liked the way I played it.

A Classy Rag - I had a hard time getting a good idea what this was supposed to sound like, and that made it hard to figure out.

Prelude in D Minor - I really, really like this one! My teacher has me play it a bit slower than the YouTube videos, but it really is very pretty. I think this is going to be a keeper.

When we got to the Prelude, she said, "Oh yes, eventually we will be playing a lot of Clementi!" Yeah, I see it coming (from when daughter took piano- different teacher). Clementi Sonatinas are basic repertoire. And they are scary!!

And moving along:

Star Spangled Banner- Different arrangement of this one. Teacher says it's one of the most difficult in any of their books. I do not like the tremolos! Still struggling here.

Make Up Your Mind- Back and forth in Major and related minor. Not too difficult. Got thru it quickly.

Swan Lake- just barely started on this one. Slow going right now.

So that's where I am in Alfred's 3.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079283 - 03/31/08 05:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the update IrishMak...

I really have a problem with the tremolos too...

I agree Prelude in D is a keeper...I just have to get it first! \:D Start it this week...

Mark

PS: I'm still cleaning up the back of book two. Trying to get Cannon under 6+ mins...

#1079284 - 04/02/08 11:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Hi guys - I'm closing in on the end of book 2 and would like to know: (1) what you think overall of book 3 and (2) what you plan to do after you're done with book 3.

Thanks, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1079285 - 04/02/08 01:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnFrank:
Hi guys - I'm closing in on the end of book 2 and would like to know: (1) what you think overall of book 3 and (2) what you plan to do after you're done with book 3.

Thanks, JF [/b]
The pieces for the most part are much better than book 2. If you have been reading my past posts I describe all the songs I've done so far.

As for after book 3 I'm not sure. I'd like to do more pop, blues, jazz, and rock stuff, but I'm going to let my teacher help me see where we go.

I have about a year to figure it out.

Mark

#1079286 - 04/03/08 04:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IamElise Offline

I have mixed feelings about book 3 - scared I guess. But then, that's how I felt about book 2 as I was ending book 1. Also I’m thinking of taking the summer off (I know its not advisable) to gallivant with the kids...

anyways... Mark I know this is weird - but, do you have a stop watch. I found that to be the only way I could build 'speed' - yes, I know I know thats what the metronome is for - but the 'nome never works for me when I am just learning a piece. that tick tick confuses me...

for ex. I am amazed I used to take :52 secs to play a :07sec measure.

maybe you could try the stop watch route...

Quote:
PS: I'm still cleaning up the back of book two. Trying to get Cannon under 6+ mins... [/b]

#1079287 - 04/03/08 12:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In general, I like Book 3. (I have the All In One edition, btw) Some pieces are better (IMO) than others. I'm sure some of what I like, others will not, and vice versa. But a big part of that is individual taste. If you have used the first 2 and basically enjoyed them and felt they helped you, then I don't think you will be disappointed in 3. The Ambitous section at the end of 3 is much more complex than anything at the end of 2, but that's to be expected, and hopefully you are ready for them as you get to them.

As for after that, I don't know. I don't want to concentrate completely on classical, and my teacher is pretty much classically trained. She is more than willing to look at anything I want to, tho, and we have worked on some jazz, new age, etc along the way. She does get a bit "fussy" about some of the "arrangements" of pop songs, tho. Can't say as I blame her- some of them are just bad. LOL I know she has some more Clementi up her sleeve for me. And I have a few books and sheets I've collected, so we should be good for while.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079288 - 04/03/08 02:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Thanks guys for your input - any idea how long it will take to get thru 3 (on the average)?

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1079289 - 04/03/08 04:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Let's see, I started book 3 in late July of '07. The furthest I am right now is page 45, of 141 pages. Tho I am still working on a couple earlier pages, also. I figure this one is going to take me over a year to get finished with.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079290 - 04/04/08 12:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about book 3 - scared I guess. But then, that's how I felt about book 2 as I was ending book 1. Also I’m thinking of taking the summer off (I know its not advisable) to gallivant with the kids...

anyways... Mark I know this is weird - but, do you have a stop watch. I found that to be the only way I could build 'speed' - yes, I know I know thats what the metronome is for - but the 'nome never works for me when I am just learning a piece. that tick tick confuses me...

for ex. I am amazed I used to take :52 secs to play a :07sec measure.

maybe you could try the stop watch route...

Quote:
PS: I'm still cleaning up the back of book two. Trying to get Cannon under 6+ mins... [/b]
[/b]
I use a stop watch to keep my piano log time and I use it for timing Canon. Never used it for other pieces. Funburger played Canon on U-tube in 3:33 and that gives me a goal time.

Mark

#1079291 - 05/02/08 08:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
Mark, I started Book 3 about a month ago and have worked my way up to the Serenade, but I still have work to do on the Canon in Book 2. Since you seem to have mastered it I wonder if you could help me with the fingering on the last page where it says "Still Slower". My fourth finger after the triad is letting me down and I can't get it to play smoothly. Any suggestions?

#1079292 - 05/03/08 06:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldFingers:
Mark, I started Book 3 about a month ago and have worked my way up to the Serenade, but I still have work to do on the Canon in Book 2. Since you seem to have mastered it I wonder if you could help me with the fingering on the last page where it says "Still Slower". My fourth finger after the triad is letting me down and I can't get it to play smoothly. Any suggestions? [/b]
I haven't mastered Canon yet... \:D

In regard to your question I use the suggested 531 fingering for the triad of ADF# but move in tight so the pinkie can hit the F# then the 4 is right over the E ready to be struck fairly easy.

If its a strength or control issue with the normally weak 4 finger you might need to do some exercises. But if you made it to book 3 I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Hope this helps..

PS: with the Serenade make sure you practice the Alberti base a lot. It makes a world of difference...

Mark...

#1079293 - 05/04/08 09:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark, it might be a strength issue. I don't recall having anything in book 2 that required use of the 4th finger in quite the same way. As it happens, I can only practice that section 2-3 times at a sitting as my wrist gets very tired. I'll try digging out an appropriate Hanon exercise. Do you use your arms to help you here?

The Alberti bass did not give me any problem. It seems that once I recognized the chords being used, I didn't have to read the LH and it moved along fairly easily. I am having some trouble with the 3 measures in the bottom line of page 1 though. It's a fair jump in the right hand and I don't have that going smoothly yet.

Bob

#1079294 - 05/04/08 09:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Mark, it might be a strength issue. I don't recall having anything in book 2 that required use of the 4th finger in quite the same way. As it happens, I can only practice that section 2-3 times at a sitting as my wrist gets very tired. I'll try digging out an appropriate Hanon exercise. Do you use your arms to help you here?

The Alberti bass did not give me any problem. It seems that once I recognized the chords being used, I didn't have to read the LH and it moved along fairly easily. I am having some trouble with the 3 measures in the bottom line of page 1 though. It's a fair jump in the right hand and I don't have that going smoothly yet.

Bob [/b]
That area of Canon hasn't been a problem. Do you bring your hand forward? You get more control that way.

I also need to work on the bottom of page one in Serenade.

Hang in there, you will get it...

#1079295 - 05/08/08 03:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark, my teacher solved my fingering problem by suggesting I use 1-2-4 on the triads. I know this is not cricket, but since I'm not preparing for the Royal Conservatory, what does it matter. Besides, at my age, I'm lucky that my fingers work at all.

Regarding Serenade, I was so focussed on getting the Alberti Bass that I was excessively heavy with my left hand. It turns out that this piece is a very nice exercise in balance, whereby the left hand is played much softer than the right. I find that difficult to do, but it makes the piece more interesting to play and it sounds much nicer.

#1079296 - 05/08/08 08:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Mark, my teacher solved my fingering problem by suggesting I use 1-2-4 on the triads. I know this is not cricket, but since I'm not preparing for the Royal Conservatory, what does it matter. Besides, at my age, I'm lucky that my fingers work at all.

Regarding Serenade, I was so focussed on getting the Alberti Bass that I was excessively heavy with my left hand. It turns out that this piece is a very nice exercise in balance, whereby the left hand is played much softer than the right. I find that difficult to do, but it makes the piece more interesting to play and it sounds much nicer. [/b]
My teacher say what ever works for you is a good thing.

I thought I meet a wall when I first started Serenade because of so much contrary left hand work, But after a while it started to come together. Haven't played it close to clean yet.

#1079297 - 05/13/08 10:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now that I've been exposed to pieces like The Chopin Etude, Danny Boy, Canon and Serenade, I'm less inclined to want to spend my time and effort on those labelled "Just for Fun". Mark, since you and I seem to be the only remaining partcipants in this thread, I was wondering what your thoughts were with respect to the "Just for Fun" pieces.

#1079298 - 05/14/08 10:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey! I'm still here! \:D Tho, I admit, not real good at posting a lot...

I've also been out of the Alfred's book for a bit again, and have gotten back into it the last few weeks.

As for the Just For Fun pieces, I haven't really found any (so far) that have caused me to want to work them to fully polished "perfection." So, while we don't skip them, they are ones that my teacher and I often agree are "good enough," and then let them go. I have to admit that the ones that get to me are often the distillations of orchestral works to a piano piece. Some (not all, of course) just don't condense well and it's very hard to hear anything in them. And I am a person who has to hear the - hmm, not sure what to call it? Melody?- in the music to be able to play it. Otherwise, it's all just random notes to me, and has no cohesion. Sometimes, if I listen to the original, it helps, but sometimes, it is so different from the piano reduction that it just isn't any better. And so I've been struggling with the Scherezade piece and the Unfinished Symphony in Alfred's 3. Scherezade is finally starting to come together, but that Symphony- eek! I have to admit that, right now, I am enjoying the supplemental pieces I am working on more than Alfred's.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079299 - 05/14/08 05:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Now that I've been exposed to pieces like The Chopin Etude, Danny Boy, Canon and Serenade, I'm less inclined to want to spend my time and effort on those labelled "Just for Fun". Mark, since you and I seem to be the only remaining partcipants in this thread, I was wondering what your thoughts were with respect to the "Just for Fun" pieces. [/b]
I haven't even tried the "Just for Fun" pieces. I so busy working on the regular book 3 stuff. Some are really tough...

Page 3 of 48 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 47 48 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Box.com - account & all files deleted
by pv88
11/20/14 10:22 PM
Shoninger Upright pianos
by JMichaelWilson
11/20/14 09:19 PM
How can a piano tech ...
by pianoloverus
11/20/14 07:02 PM
Keeping cats away from piano?
by DeadPoets
11/20/14 07:00 PM
What music do play for your partner/husband/wife
/sweetie?

by Johan B
11/20/14 04:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission