2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 75 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 74 75
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone
Very nicely played JF. It’s great to get a glimpse of where we’re headed. This piece certainly does have a lot going on behind the melody.

Undone

Undone - thanks for the kind words, which mean a lot coming from one who is such a good player himself - behind the melody is an on-going series of arpeggiated chords, with some variations, which provide a very nice base for the RH melody, which contains numerous double notes to help make that melody stand out.

Speaking of "A Classy Rag" I'm reviewing that piece at the momemt when I get a chance - I really liked this piece the first time thru and got a fairly good recording of it, which I'm going to try to improve. This piece is as much fun as the Joplin piece "Solace" way back in Book 2. I would recommend observing the repeat sign after the D.S. al Fine and also playing the intro 8va as a Coda at the very end (as the Book suggests). I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it, especially since you already have some experience playing Ragtime music if I remember correctly about the piece you submitted to a recent Recital.

Speaking of which, are you submitting one for this upcoming Recital? I have a nice little Baroque-style Minuet from the "Essential Keyboard Repertoire" book I'm also currently working out of already uploaded.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
JF,

I can't really contribute much commentary but I absolutely liked your playing of An American Hymn; very pretty.

Undone,

A Classy Rag sounds like it may be Ragtime music, which I know you like. I'm sure it won't take you too long to master.

Here is Fandango:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyDwa1IHQYY

Hope everyone is having a nice Monday,

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
JF,

Here is Fandango:

W

Bravo mate, nicely done. I can see I'm going to get behind very quickly (already am with videos needed to be done).. Hmmm gotta light a fire and get moving smile

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TTigg
JF,

Here is Fandango:

W

Bravo mate, nicely done. I can see I'm going to get behind very quickly (already am with videos needed to be done).. Hmmm gotta light a fire and get moving smile

thumb

Thanks man smile ! I'm looking forward to your videos, but don't feel rushed, I am lucky that I have some free time at lunch some days to do them, they do take a while to make.

Fandango is the only piece I've liked so far in Book 3. I'm preparing to put the finishing touches on "Modern Sounds" but I don't like it very much. The first two I didn't like either.

I hope "Jazz Sequences" is better.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by John Frank
Very nicely played JF. It’s great to get a glimpse of where we’re headed. This piece certainly does have a lot going on behind the melody.

Undone

Undone - thanks for the kind words, which mean a lot coming from one who is such a good player himself - behind the melody is an on-going series of arpeggiated chords, with some variations, which provide a very nice base for the RH melody, which contains numerous double notes to help make that melody stand out.

Speaking of "A Classy Rag" I'm reviewing that piece at the momemt when I get a chance - I really liked this piece the first time thru and got a fairly good recording of it, which I'm going to try to improve. This piece is as much fun as the Joplin piece "Solace" way back in Book 2. I would recommend observing the repeat sign after the D.S. al Fine and also playing the intro 8va as a Coda at the very end (as the Book suggests). I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it, especially since you already have some experience playing Ragtime music if I remember correctly about the piece you submitted to a recent Recital.

Speaking of which, are you submitting one for this upcoming Recital? I have a nice little Baroque-style Minuet from the "Essential Keyboard Repertoire" book I'm also currently working out of already uploaded.

Regards, JF

No, I didn’t have anything ready for this recital. Now that my regular Alfred’s pieces are demanding more time and attention, I’m finding it difficult to have a recital piece ready each quarter. Twice a year is easier, but I’d still like to get something in each recital.

As for “A Classy Rag”, I definitely agree with you that the added Coda makes for a much nicer ending. It’s starting to come together for me, but that last line has yet to be tamed.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Waltz – another fine job on Fandango. I liked this piece too. (Something sounds a little different about the timing in the first few measures to me, but I don’t have my music with me and so can’t say more.) Don’t worry about the early book 3 selections; you’ll be getting “into the thick of things” soon.

Undone

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Here's a heads-up for all of you newcomers to the Book 3 thread - you don't have to wait until you work your way completely thru all the "regular" pieces in Book 3 to tackle those in the "Ambitious Section" at the back - take them on whenever you feel you're ready for them - in fact, that's what the authors had in mind since they recommend that you do exactly that - for example, at the end of the Clementi "Prelude in D Minor" on pages 36-37 there is a note encouraging you to try the Bach "Prelude in C Major" on pages 122-123. There are several other such references scattered throughout Book 3.

Several of the people who have worked thru Book 3 and who have contributed to this thread have done so, and you'll see their commentary on these advanced pieces in previous pages. I personally have chosen not to do this (yet) mainly because the regular pieces are challenging enough right now, and also because I'm concurrently working out of two other sources on an on-going basis, and really have no more time (or energy) to devote to pieces in the "Ambitious Section.

But, if you're up for it (and ready for it) good luck and have fun!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Waltz - nice job (as usual) on "Fandango" - very smooth - keep up the good work - you're coming along very nicely - I'm impressed with how well and how fast you learn these new pieces!

I think I have a version of this excellent piece somewhere back on a previous page here if you wanted to hear an alternate take (with an enhanced ending).

Regards, JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Undone and JF for watching and commenting on Fandango, I really do appreciate that.

JF,

I loved your performance of it! I especially like the poco ritardandos at 8va changes. That added an extra layer of depth to the piece.

As for the ambitious section, I should have a look at it, but I don't think I'm yet ready. Many of those pieces still seem out of my league.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JF,

I loved your performance of it! I especially like the poco ritardandos at 8va changes. That added an extra layer of depth to the piece.

waltz - thanks much - yes, the rits were effective - and so was the fact that in the 8va sections I played both hands up an octave (instead of just the RH as the Book specifies), which added another dimension - try it - also, the added extra ending is basically just a repeat of the last two measures or so, but lowered an octave (and played "Beethovenesque" as someone said in a review).

Regards, JF

Last edited by John Frank; 08/11/09 07:52 PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I met with my new piano teacher today and she was amazing! I start my "official" lessons next week.

Today was the first day I've ever spent practice time site reading, and I am now going to try throw in 10 minutes per day of practicing it.

She showed me some techniques today with playing in general that I can tell are already making a difference. It is baffling how easy it is to miss out on certain basic aspects of playing.

I hope that now my playing becomes much more refined and less crude.

I'm on "Jazz Sequences". Not my favorite, but after it I think there is a nice classical piece I'll enjoy. I'll try to record Modern Sounds soon.

Hope all Alfred's 3 people are well,

Sincerely,

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This thread should not be on page 5. I'm on Haydn's Serenade. I like it smile

PS: I thought "Modern Sounds" was the worse piece of any of the three Alfred's books. It was just terrible. Anyone else feel this way? I liked Jazz sequences once I got the hand of it...

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This thread should not be on page 5. I'm on Haydn's Serenade. I like it smile

PS: I thought "Modern Sounds" was the worse piece of any of the three Alfred's books. It was just terrible. Anyone else feel this way? I liked Jazz sequences once I got the hand of it...

Well (for me) it was the other way around laugh I mean come on, "Jazz Sequences" wasn't very, well, Jazzy! Thus far I'm beginning to like the stuff in #3. The String Serenede's nice and I do like "Very Special Day", now I'm moving onto the Classy Rag...

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ttigg, you liked Modern Sounds?

I agree about Jazz Sequences not being really like jazz. A
"sequence" is synonymous with a "phrase" right? I just enjoyed trying to play this one smoothly, making each sequence soft and light.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ttigg, you liked Modern Sounds?

I agree about Jazz Sequences not being really like jazz. A
"sequence" is synonymous with a "phrase" right? I just enjoyed trying to play this one smoothly, making each sequence soft and light.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I "enjoyed it" but I did prefer playing it to the Jazz Sequences one. Oddly enough that's listed as a "just for fun" in the back of #3 (separate version)

SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Congratulations to all you Book 3 recital participants!

I just finished “A Classy Rag” last night. This one took me much longer then I initially expected, but was a very enjoyable piece.

Undone

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to all you Book 3 recital participants!

I just finished “A Classy Rag” last night. This one took me much longer then I initially expected, but was a very enjoyable piece.

Undone

Undone - did you get a recording of it? Would love to hear it!

JF

P.S. You're right - it is a very enjoyable piece - I'm still reviewing it, but not yet ready to record it - if I get a good one (which seems sort of iffy at the moment) it may appear in an upcoming Piano Bar???.

Last edited by John Frank; 08/18/09 07:23 AM.

I looked at " A Classy Rag" a couple of nights ago. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to go to "Lean on Me" or one of the others in book 3. Still trying to learn "Fur Elise". Finally got to the third page and I went back to "Toccata" to record it and forgot parts of it!! Aggrevating! I'll get back to it!

I've begun a new job... back in the classroom, so I still have time to learn pieces of pieces (smile).

Take care all1

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
piano4 - maybe you need a little break from "Fur Elise" - "A Classy Rag" is just the ticket - a really fun piece - another outstanding piece in Book 3 (my favorite so far) is "Come Back to Sorento", which is an excellent arrangement of the great old classic Italian love song.

Good luck with the new job.

Regards, JF

JF - I did get a recording of it (on my DP) and will try to get it moved over to BoxNet this comming weekend.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Page 36 of 75 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission