Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 47 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47 >
Topic Options
#1079330 - 05/22/08 09:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I agree about the "breezing thru" comment. I never wanted or expected anyone to take my posts as meaning I am running thru book 3 at a fantastic pace. I am not. I have dropped many of the pieces before polishing them to "performance" quality. But I do think I have learned something from all of them. There are many that, even if I could record, I would not, because they just simply would not be worth listening to.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1079331 - 05/22/08 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by OldFingers:

Did no one take the option of going to the Prelude in C Major? If not, why not? I'm going to spend some time on this one because I like the chords although I haven't figured them all out yet.

[/b]
I have played through it. But I've worked on it years ago when my son was taking lessons. It's a very nice piece, I'm also very closes to getting prelude in D completed. I really want to record that one.

Don't feel bad about the Classy Rag. I may never get it to speed either... \:D

#1079332 - 05/22/08 10:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I agree about the "breezing thru" comment. I never wanted or expected anyone to take my posts as meaning I am running thru book 3 at a fantastic pace. I am not. I have dropped many of the pieces before polishing them to "performance" quality. But I do think I have learned something from all of them. There are many that, even if I could record, I would not, because they just simply would not be worth listening to. [/b]
Count me as there too. In fact I recently told my teacher we need to stop at Steal Away because I'm falling behind and need time to get some pieces cleaned up. And there are a few I might just play though and never polish.

Hech, I'm still working on Canon and a few other book 2 pieces... \:D

#1079333 - 05/23/08 07:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:

JF, I think your suggestion that we record some of our pieces is a good one.

I once threatened to record Danny Boy, and I will after my piano is tuned next week.
[/b]
Threatened? \:D Something tells me that it will be more like a "treat" than a "threat"! \:\)

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1079334 - 05/23/08 06:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
I must confess, I am still working on the last page of Canon. That 4th finger of mine was killing my timing until I realized I had to lift my hands. What a difference!

The "breezing" comment was a little flip and I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. On thinking about it, I realized that I'm on page 36 because I already knew the theory from my lead-sheet days and I've skipped 2-3 pieces. But I'm slowing down now because of new fingering configurations.

Mark, do you remember the speed at which you played the Prelude in C Major?

Ah, JF, you are a real optimist. You might live to regret your suggestion.

#1079335 - 05/23/08 11:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Mark, do you remember the speed at which you played the Prelude in C Major?

[/b]
My sons digital had it programed into it and It sounded like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KHycdHbz6w&feature=related

I never did get it to speed back then...

I sounded more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSlu06gDy8&feature=related

Hope this helps...

Mark...

#1079336 - 05/25/08 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark, thanks for the recordings. My speed is more like the second example, except that I still make a lot of mistakes. Your left hand seems to be a lot more confident than mine is. I'm still guessing at some of the positions.

Bob

#1079337 - 05/25/08 11:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Mark, thanks for the recordings. My speed is more like the second example, except that I still make a lot of mistakes. Your left hand seems to be a lot more confident than mine is. I'm still guessing at some of the positions.

Bob [/b]
Those recording weren't actually me. Just examples. I did play something like the second one a while ago. Looking forward to tackling it again. Also I see nothing wrong with the slower speed. I like it better in fact.

Mark...

#1079338 - 06/05/08 09:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Fitswimmer Offline

Loc: Florida
I can't believe how long I've been struggling over Classy Rag....

Of course, with 2 jobs and and online courses-I don't have the time I'd like to have to practice, but still!

I keep telling myself that it will be really cool when I finally get it because I'm working so hard on it.

#1079339 - 06/05/08 10:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fitswimmer, I feel the same way about the Unfinished Symphony piece! It still sounds so measured and mechanical, but if I don't count very, very precisely and slowly, I get lost immediately! My teacher says the first page is "getting better," but I'm not entirely convinced!

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1079340 - 06/08/08 09:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

IrishMak, I'm just starting The Unfinished Symphony. Thanks for the tip to count it out carefully.

I've finished my lessons for this year but hope to keep going in Book 3, but I probably won't get very far without my teacher.

Sometime ago John Frank asked us for some recordings and I've been trying to do Danny Boy, but I'm suffering the Red Dot fever. It's the first time I've tried to record my playing and it was a very good lesson because I realized that I was making mistakes but just sloughed them off. I'm going beyond cyberspace for awhile, but I hope to get at least one recording done before I'm gone.

#1079341 - 06/09/08 08:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Fitswimmer Offline

I have conquered you, Classy Rag!! You did not beat me-although you tried. I have mastered your tricky passages and repeats!

After this pause for rejoicing...I get to start polishing the dynamics, but boy it feels good right now.

#1079342 - 06/09/08 09:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitswimmer:
I have conquered you, Classy Rag!! You did not beat me-although you tried. I have mastered your tricky passages and repeats!

After this pause for rejoicing...I get to start polishing the dynamics, but boy it feels good right now. [/b]
Congrats...its a tough one. I hit it everyday waiting for it to come to speed...

#1079343 - 06/24/08 09:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

An American Hymn...just a great book 3 piece...

#1079344 - 06/25/08 10:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You're getting ahead of me again! LOL

I'm still trying to straighten out the last couple lines of Come Back to Sorrento in Alfred's. And working a couple pieces in the Romantic Impressions first book, and one in a Jazz, Rags and Blues book. I will never, never be a blues player, I am afraid! \:D

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079345 - 06/25/08 11:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
You're getting ahead of me again! LOL

I'm still trying to straighten out the last couple lines of Come Back to Sorrento in Alfred's. And working a couple pieces in the Romantic Impressions first book, and one in a Jazz, Rags and Blues book. I will never, never be a blues player, I am afraid! \:D [/b]
It's not that I perfected the previous pieces. But when I get a piece close, we move to the next piece while I still clean up the older stuff. \:D Eventually the older stuff gets finished...

But I think you will just love "An American Hymn"...

#1079346 - 06/25/08 11:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

double post...sorry

#1079347 - 06/25/08 05:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Hi everyone! I have just started in this forum and have just started Alfred's Adult book #3 and I am just loving it! There are easy pieces that are a bit rhythmic and Iam still learning to play music at a faster tempo when needed. My question to you is this: When finished with the Book 3- would it be easier" to go with classical or pop or is it at the musician/instructor's discretion? Thank you

#1079348 - 06/25/08 05:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

Hi everyone! I have just started in this forum and have just started Alfred's Adult book #3 and I am just loving it! There are easy pieces that are a bit rhythmic and Iam still learning to play music at a faster tempo when needed. My question to you is this: When finished with the Book 3- would it be easier" to go with classical or pop or is it at the musician/instructor's discretion? Thank you

#1079349 - 06/25/08 05:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

piano4, well my teacher started me on the john thompsons grade 3. i just started it so i cant give much information on it. seems challenging enough though:) i am still working on the chopin piece and the moonlight sonata at the end of alfreds 3 though. maybe i will get some practice in so i can pass them soon:) i am guessing when you are done with alfreds 3 you should ask your teacher what happens then?? find out what you want to do etc. and see which way you want to go.

#1079350 - 06/25/08 10:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
80z_Chick Offline

Loc: Canada
I started this book a while ago..... I'm only on Calypso Rhumba though. I will actually be giving up this book for a while to work on my Royal Conservatory grade 4. I'm doing the exam this summer. I've just returned to lessons after having my second child.

#1079351 - 06/26/08 09:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
John Thompson reminds me of the Helen Curtis series. It's not like the modern methods with chords and simple arrangements. These courses are more difficult and move quite a bit faster.

Welcome to the challenge Funburger. It's a whole new ball game. \:D

#1079352 - 06/26/08 10:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Hi funburger,

I used JT as a kid, went through 1 & most of 2. I had three and picked up the first piece for the fun of it. (must have had just as weird a sense of fun then as I do now.)

Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen - WITH CROSS HAND PLAYING!

I loved that arrangement! I thought it was so much fun and I was doing it on my own. The other pieces I remember playing for myself was I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing and I had a couple of books of classical pieces by some composers I don't remember any more and I loved to play the first pieces in that set.

I didn't really practice for my lessons. I didn't really enjoy my teacher, but if I could have harnessed what I found in those few pieces - that might have made such a difference.

Unfortunately, I quit piano lessons to go to a private high school and the homework load was so heavy that I never picked it back up.

I'm looking through Book 3, and I've been playing a fair number of the pieces in there already - Bach Mussette, Schumann Melody, Clementi Sonatina 36.1 (first movement), and I just finished Bach's Prelude in C (from the little preludes).

The motto on the cover of JT's books is "Something New Every Lesson." It should be 20 things new every lesson!

Ask your teacher about the Robert D Vandall Complete Preludes. That would be a perfect set of pieces in every key for the level of JT 3.

Rich

#1079353 - 06/27/08 08:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Fitswimmer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by funburger:
piano4, well my teacher started me on the john thompsons grade 3. i just started it so i cant give much information on it. seems challenging enough though:) i am still working on the chopin piece and the moonlight sonata at the end of alfreds 3 though. maybe i will get some practice in so i can pass them soon:) i am guessing when you are done with alfreds 3 you should ask your teacher what happens then?? find out what you want to do etc. and see which way you want to go. [/b]
I've been working in 3 different series-Aaron 3, JT3 and Alfred 3. Out of the 3 of them, I would say that JT3 is the most challenging. I do love some of the pieces though-particularly Dona Nobis Pacem.

#1079354 - 06/28/08 04:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
Well, I'm feeling "Super Special" \:\) this week as I finally started book 3. Like others, I'm still finishing up on Canon from book 2. I was wondering how your teachers are using the "just for fun" section...are you just going through the book consecutively or do you jump around from the "regular" pieces to the "fun" and some of the more difficult pieces in the back of the book? My teacher has never had an adult make it to book 3 (patting myself on back)and she hasn't really looked through the book, just opened it and started me on the first song, so I am curious about other teachers' methods...

Char

#1079355 - 06/28/08 09:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mamawatchman:
Well, I'm feeling "Super Special" \:\) this week as I finally started book 3. Like others, I'm still finishing up on Canon from book 2. I was wondering how your teachers are using the "just for fun" section...are you just going through the book consecutively or do you jump around from the "regular" pieces to the "fun" and some of the more difficult pieces in the back of the book? My teacher has never had an adult make it to book 3 (patting myself on back)and she hasn't really looked through the book, just opened it and started me on the first song, so I am curious about other teachers' methods...

Char [/b]
I've glanced at the "Just for Fun" section, but have too busy with the regular stuff. My guess is when we reach the just for fun area. We will just go right through it to the "Ambisious (sp) section"

PS: You will really like many of the pieces in book 3. There are a few "dogs" but for the most part very enjoyable...

And congrats making it to book 3... \:\)

#1079356 - 06/29/08 10:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

We've been playing the Just For Fun pieces as they show up in the book, but not skipping to the Ambitious stuff yet. Holding on to that till we get thru the book, then she will let me pick what I want, or move on to something else. I know she's got Clementi sonatinas hiding up her sleeve somewhere! \:D

Kawai MP-4 digital

#1079357 - 07/01/08 06:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Quote:
We've been playing the Just For Fun pieces as they show up in the book, but not skipping to the Ambitious stuff yet. Holding on to that till we get thru the book, then she will let me pick what I want, or move on to something else. I know she's got Clementi sonatinas hiding up her sleeve somewhere! \:D [/b]
I've already been working on OP 36 No. 1 for what seems like ages. I have to admit, I sort of feel like I'm close to getting it down (how's that for being vague?), but of course it always falls apart when I try to play it for her. You'd think that after over two years with her I would lose the jitters whenever I play! \:\)

Char

#1079358 - 07/12/08 08:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

Thank You, Funburger for your insight. I have a ways to go, particularly with this Alfred book#3. The Serenade is a bit tricky, but I'll learn it ;\)

And to reply to the others within this group, my instructor looked at the book but we haven't chosen any thing in particular. She told me that we weren't going to do all of the pieces but i know we will be doing some of the "ambitious" ones!

#1079359 - 07/14/08 08:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
OK guys - I'm on the next to last piece in Book 2 - so, what are the best pieces to look forward to in 3?

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Page 5 of 47 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (Al LaPorte, aesop, 36251, BarryR, 33 invisible), 1397 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156883 Topics
2305165 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
32 minutes 44 seconds ago
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
Today at 01:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission