2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 75 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 74 75
S
S
Originally posted by snowyday:
Is anybody else working on the first movement of Moonlight Sonata? I need someone to commiserate with! frown
Check this out:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7331.html

S
S
JF, when you get into Book 3 you will see that Moonlight Sonata is on the last four pages in the "Ambitious" section. I have been slogging my why through it for about four weeks now.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by snowyday:
JF, when you get into Book 3 you will see that Moonlight Sonata is on the last four pages in the "Ambitious" section. I have been slogging my why through it for about four weeks now.
Yes, I've seen it there - will probably be 1 1/2 years (or more) before I get to it in my studies - but keep "slogging" (as you say) - you'll master it eventually - the slogging will turn to cruising thru it almost effortlessly (sounds good, huh?) - it's a piece that's worth the extra effort - keep after it!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Well, I'm polishing up "Super Special Sorta Song" or whatever it's called for the upcoming two weeks, as I won't have my lesson next week. It was assigned to me last week but it's definitely not polished enough. Also, my teacher wanted to skip "Calypso Rhumba" so we went straight to "Fandango".

Of course I'm working on Hymns and Christmas pieces too not related to Book 3.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Cyborg:
I wanted to drop in and say 'hi'.

I just finished Book 2 and have started Book 3. I can't believe I've made it to this point.
Congrats...welcome!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Of course I'm working on Hymns and Christmas pieces too not related to Book 3.
Cyborg - which Hymns & Christmas pieces are you working on?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Originally posted by John Frank:
Cyborg - which Hymns & Christmas pieces are you working on?

Regards, JF
I just started working out of this Alfred's Hymn Book:

Alfred\'s Adult Sacred Book - Level 2

"Sweet Hour of Prayer"

I have an Alfred's Level 3 Christmas book from last year and stuggled with it. It was too advanced for me at the time. I'm using it again this year and having better success. I've been working on Christmas items since late August.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the pieces I've worked on from this book

Frosty the Snow Man
I'll be Home for Christmas
Silver Bells
and I think two other pices that I can't think of right now.

Have you started working on Book 3?

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
[b]Cyborg - which Hymns & Christmas pieces are you working on?

Regards, JF
I just started working out of this Alfred's Hymn Book:

Alfred\'s Adult Sacred Book - Level 2

"Sweet Hour of Prayer"

Have you started working on Book 3? [/b]
The Sacred Book, Level 2 is the supplemental book I just finished with - I was using it all along as a companion to Alfred 2! (see one of my most recent posts in the Alfred 2 thread) - I've recorded 2 Hymns from it in recent Piano Bars. There is alot of great stuff in there - very nicely arranged hymns! There are also some nicely arranged Hymns in the Level 1 Sacred Book, which I also worked my way thru.

I will start work in Book 3 on Monday. I'm also working on some Christmas pieces myself - intermediate level pieces from a volume titled "The Big Book of Christmas Carols" - I may put 3 of them together into a medley and record it for the upcoming Recital (#12 on 11/15).

Regards, JF

HI all, JF, as soon as I put up my webcam and actually learn how to connect my laptop to my clavinova, I'll be doing recital. I did read how to connect, but my piano is five years old and I stlll haven't read all of the manual(s). eek
Anyhow, I am getting through the "Star-Spangled Banner" and my instructor has started me with just the first page of "Toccata in D Minor". eek I'm excited about this and I know I'll probably be pulling my hair out confused (but guess what, I still just LUV A CHALLENGE heart (smile). Wish luck me all:-)

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Piano4 - which model Clavinova do you use? - mine is the CVP-301- I read the manual to mine, but it took awhile & I still don't understand fully some of the features - but it's a beautiful instrument with a surprising good sound thumb I start Book 3 tomorrow (Monday, 10/27).

Regards, JF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Started Book 3 today - working on "A Super-Special Sorta Song!", which is not all that super-special. It's not too bad musically but the lyrics are right out of Sesame Street (not that there's anything wrong with that):

"Light and easy, play it bright and breezy.
And this super-special song will make you smile
like 'Mona Leezy'." smile

So bad it's good (in a goofy sort of way).

Not sure at this point whether - as I did for Books 1 & 2 - I will work on all the pieces in Book 3 (if only because they're in there & I'll be able to say I did), or whether I'll just concentrate on the more musically interesting and technically challenging pieces - we'll see.

Also continuing my review of select Book 2 pieces - currently bearing down again on "Waltz in G Minor" from near the end. Good piece - deserves to be played well.

Play on Book 3ers thumb

Regards, JF

Hi JF, yes, that "super special song" is a bit dorky, but, not bad. My clavinova is CVP-700 and I have some how misplaced the blessed(!) confused extremely large manual!! But i do have the step-by-step picture diagram. It's in my living room and i"ll find it before the evening is over! wink

My instructor is looking at other pieces in book 3 and that's why she chose the Bach piece for me to learn. I have the first measure. It'll take me a bit! Thanks!

[Linked Image]
JF,

Welcome to Book 3!

Super Special Sorta Song hasn't done much for me either. I guess that's why I didn't put in the effort the first week of working on it. So I have it until Thursday I hope. laugh

I think my teacher will have me skipping some of the pieces in the book. We have already skipped one piece.

i found the manual! I know that Ican record on a regular 2.5 computer disc( that's how I record my practice) however, my computer only does CDs. I know there's a way!

yes, there are some good pieces in book 3. Have fun!

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JF,

Welcome to Book 3!

Thanks - it's good to finally be here!

Regards, JF

S
S
JF, congratulations on making it to Book 3! I am still working on Moonlight Sonata, but it is going better now. I have a working familiarity with all four pages, but LOTS of work left to do on the dynmamics.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
snowyday - thanks for the congrats! And glad to hear you're making some progress on the "Moonlight" - I looked ahead and checked out the music and I'm impressed that you're doing well with this complex piece - can't imagine myself tackling this at this point - need to work my way thru Book 3 alot longer & farther - good luck - hope to hear your rendition in a Recital or Monthly Piano Bar someday soon.

Regards, JF

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I've reconnected with cyberspace and couldn't wait to check in to see how the Alfred Level Threes were doing. Congratulations to Mark for his new piano. I particularly envy his nice high ceiling. My RX-3 is still giving me problems in my low-ceiling music room, regardless of the amount of acoustic treatment I give it. I'm thinking about going digital.

It's good to see that John Frank has joined the group, as his enthusiasm is definitely contagious.

During the summer I continued to work through the Alfred book, but must admit to progressing at a much slower pace as I find it takes me much longer to extract all of the information in each piece. It was also harder not having my teacher to guide me. At the moment I'm trying to make "Steal Away" more musical. I was concentrating so hard on counting the timing that it came out being very mechanical. Now my teacher wants me to loosen up and put some expression in it. I'm also trying to get the 1/16-note timing right on "Trumpet Tune". It seems that playing the piano is timing, timing, timing,...

With respect to an earlier post, I admit to skipping the "Just for Fun" pieces, as I'm more interested in spending my time on material that requires that I learn new things.

Anyway, JF, I saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the next level. I still play the Etude from Level 2 while having Jo Stafford's "No Other Love" in my head. That was a great tip you gave me.

Bob

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by OldFingers:
I've reconnected with cyberspace and couldn't wait to check in to see how the Alfred Level Threes were doing. Congratulations to Mark for his new piano. I particularly envy his nice high ceiling. My RX-3 is still giving me problems in my low-ceiling music room, regardless of the amount of acoustic treatment I give it. I'm thinking about going digital.

It's good to see that John Frank has joined the group, as his enthusiasm is definitely contagious.

During the summer I continued to work through the Alfred book, but must admit to progressing at a much slower pace as I find it takes me much longer to extract all of the information in each piece. It was also harder not having my teacher to guide me. At the moment I'm trying to make "Steal Away" more musical. I was concentrating so hard on counting the timing that it came out being very mechanical. Now my teacher wants me to loosen up and put some expression in it. I'm also trying to get the 1/16-note timing right on "Trumpet Tune". It seems that playing the piano is timing, timing, timing,...

With respect to an earlier post, I admit to skipping the "Just for Fun" pieces, as I'm more interested in spending my time on material that requires that I learn new things.

Anyway, JF, I saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the next level. I still play the Etude from Level 2 while having Jo Stafford's "No Other Love" in my head. That was a great tip you gave me.

Bob
Good to hear from you Bob. I think book 3 could be a life's work. My teacher had me skip the "Just for Fun" pieces also. She didn't care for them. As for timing, its my biggest problem. I tend to play by feel more than counting. I'm doing a lot of side work to fix that problem.

I'm playing and cleaning up many of the book 3 pieces and working on a couple in the "Ambitious Section"

Thanks for the kind words on the piano.

Keep in touch, or I'll make JohnFrank come and get you... smile

Mark

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by OldFingers:
I've reconnected with cyberspace and couldn't wait to check in to see how the Alfred Level Threes were doing.
Oldfingers! Welcome back! I was wondering about you from time to time. Good to hear from you again! smile

Thanks - I catch it from myself every morning! wink

During the summer I continued to work through the Alfred book, but must admit to progressing at a much slower pace as I find it takes me much longer to extract all of the information in each piece.
The speed of your progress is not that awfully important - it's more about your control, assuance and confidence at the keyboard whatever piece you're working on at whatever level - it's far more important to take your time and get it right - constant review helps immensely!

Anyway, JF, I saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the next level. I still play the Etude from Level 2 while having Jo Stafford's "No Other Love" in my head. That was a great tip you gave me. Bob
Thanks again for the welcome Bob - it's great to be here (thought I would never get here!) - and thanks for reminding me of the "Etude" piece (aka "No Other Love") - beautiful piece of music, either way - just in case you're interested at all here's a thread of mine where I recorded my version (along with 2 other Book 2 pieces):

JF\'s thread with recording of "Etude, Op.10, No.3"

Regards, JF

Page 12 of 75 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission