2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 75 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 74 75
D
D
And John..you asked about recording. I still have to figure out a way to take care of that.
Me too.

I am looking for a digital piano. I assume most digital piano will allow some output for recording, but I haven't even started my search yet.

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by IrishMak:
Originally posted by John Frank:
[b] Mak - tell us a little about "Romantic Impressions" - Thanks.
Sure. There are four volumes in the series, all with original compostitions by Martha Mier. I have books 1 and 2. I've finished going thru book 1, and started book 2. The pieces are not exceptionally difficult, but very pretty, if you like the Romantic style (think Debussy or Schumann, perhaps).

I'm really enjoying these books as a supplement to the Alfred's Adult book. [/b]
Mak - thanks for the info and the videos - sounds like something I'd enjoy playing, although I'm already working out of 3 books regularly so I don't know when I'd be able to fit them in confused

I just got the first book (there are 7) of the "Essential keyboard Repertoire" series in the mail and after scanning thru it for awhile the original pieces appear to be at a level where the book could easily be used as a supplement to Alfred 2, in addition to Alfred 3 - the series is published by Alfred - so probably the level 3 book in the series might be a good place to start if you're looking for something to work from (in addition to other material) after Alfred 3.

I think I'm going to contact Alfred to see if I can get their recommendations on an organized program of study after Alfred 3, which is especially important for those of us self-teaching (if you have a teacher, he/she may have their own ideas but you still may be interested in any recommendations from the publisher).

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Mark - here's my version of "A Very Special Day' if you want to add it to the OP -

A Very Special Day

Thanks much, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

D
D
John, thanks for sharing your music. It is so wonderful to listen to other members playing. I will do that when I get my DP or keyboard.

I think I'm going to contact Alfred to see if I can get their recommendations on an organized program of study after Alfred 3....
If you do that and get their reply, please let us know. I am interesting in joining if there is a thread for self-type after level 3. Thanks!

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DaveInMichigan:
John, thanks for sharing your music. It is so wonderful to listen to other members playing. I will do that when I get my DP or keyboard.

I think I'm going to contact Alfred to see if I can get their recommendations on an organized program of study after Alfred 3....
If you do that and get their reply, please let us know. I am interesting in joining if there is a thread for self-type after level 3. Thanks!
Dave - thanks for the thanks - and yes, I will let you (and others here who may be interested) know what I find out from Alfred - also, while I wasn't thinking about a separate thread dedicated to sharing experiences in a program of study beyond Alfred 3 as you suggest, it does have the potential to be a very good idea (even if those participating are using different source materials) - a sort of "Beyond Alfred" thread thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Book 3ers - as promised, below is a copy of an email I recieved from Alfred Publishing Co. in response to an email I sent to their Customer Support section in which I requested recommendations on organised programs of study that basically pick up where Alfred 3 leaves off.

As you will see the recommendations are mostly multi-volume series that are geared toward Classical music studies and technical exercises. According to the gentleman who took the time and made the effort to forward these recommendations there are currently no programs of study that encompass multiple genres of music such as is found throughout the Basic Alfred Adult series. You can, of course, use any number of supplemental books to augment the material shown below.

This gentleman, whose particulars are listed at the end, is not making these recommendations as an official representative of Alfred Publishing Co., but merely as a private individual who has been teaching piano and helping people with their piano studies for some time now.

Notice his contention that those who finish Alfred 3 are at the "Late-Intermediate" Level.

Here is the email (all of the books listed are available at alfred.com & other sites):

Dear John,

Thanks for your email and your questions. I would like to give you some recommendations as to what your options are.

Standard Classical Repertoire:
------------------------------

Students who complete Level 3 of Alfred’s Basic Adult Piano Course tend to be at the Late-Intermediate level. However, because students vary in ability as well as practice habits and exposure to supplemental literature, we usually recommend that you choose intermediate level standard repertoire. This will allow students to develop an in-depth understanding of the nuances and artistry required to perform pieces from various style periods.

The following Alfred graded repertoire collections are excellent for a Level 3 graduate who is ready to master the classics.

The Spirit Series
-----------------

Ed. Nancy Bachus / perf. Daniel Glover

Eastman graduate and master teacher Nancy Bachus designed The Spirit Series for pianists to capture the spirit of the major style periods. Repertoire from both familiar and lesser-known composers is included, along with commentary about the composers' lives, related art images and social changes in the era. Each book includes an artistic CD recording of the repertoire by noted pianist, Daniel Glover.

The Baroque Spirit

Book 1 & CD (Early Intermediate/Intermediate)...........$10.95 item #16718

Book 2 & CD (Intermediate/Early Advanced)...............$10.95 item #16719

The Classical Spirit

Book 1 & CD (Early Intermediate/Intermediate) ..........$10.95 item #16720

Book 2 & CD (Intermediate/Early Advanced)...............$10.95 item #16721

The Romantic Spirit

Book 1 & CD (Early Intermediate/Intermediate)...........$10.95 item #4638

Book 2 & CD (Intermediate/Early Advanced)...............$10.95 item #4639

Beyond the Romantic Spirit

Book 1 & CD (Early Intermediate/Late Intermediate)......$10.95 item #21388

Book 2 & CD (Intermediate/Early Advanced)...............$10.95 item #22428

Burgmüller, Czerny & Hanon:

Piano Studies Selected for Technique and Musicality

By Johann Burgmüller, Carl Czerny, and Charles-Louis Hanon

Ed. Ingrid Jacobson Clarfield

Westminster Choir College piano professor Ingrid Jacobson Clarfield has selected etudes and exercises that emphasize

technique and musicality. Volumes 2 and 3 also include works by Heller.

Volume 1 (Intermediate/Late Intermediate)...............$8.95 item #19676

Volume 2 (Late Intermediate)............................$9.95 item #22534

Volume 3 (Early Advanced)...............................$9.95 item #25504

Technique for the Advancing Pianist

Ed. Valerie Cisler and Maurice Hinson

This 96-page resource is an essential collection of progressive exercises and etudes.

(Early Advanced).........................$12.95 item #22448

Masterwork Classics
---------------------

Ed. Jane Magrath / perf. Kim O'Reilly

Chair of the Piano Pedagogy Department at the University of Oklahoma, Dr. Jane Magrath has graded this series sequentially for aspiring pianists. Alfred began publishing Masterwork Classics in 1988, and the series continues to be Alfred’s top-selling repertoire series. Each book contains an excellent model performance CD by Kim O’Reilly.

Level 5 Book & CD (Intermediate)........................$9.95 item #414

Level 6 Book & CD (Late Intermediate)...................$9.95 item #416

Level 7 Book & CD (Intermediate/Late Intermediate).....$10.95 item #16740

Level 8 Book & CD (Late Intermediate/Early Advanced)...$10.95 item #16741

Level 9 Book & CD (Late Intermediate/Early Advanced)...$11.95 item #17213

Level 10 Book & CD (Late Intermediate/Advanced)........$11.95 item #17577

With my own students, I try to evaluate their interests and goals when figuring out where to go next. The Classics are a great school master, and there are contemporary music educators with excellent materials as well. Or, you may want to branch off into pop or jazz styles.

I could give you more exact recommendations based on your personal musical tastes and what you would like to ultimately achieve in your studies. You are welcome to write back and I’ll be happy to give you more help.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

David Ellsworth
Alfred Keyboard Customer Support
Alfred Publishing Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 10003, Van Nuys, CA 91410-0003
(818) 892-2452 | (818) 830-6261 fax
keyboard@alfred.com | alfred.com/piano
PremierPianoCourse.com
MusicforLittleMozarts.com
GroupPiano.com

Regards, JF

D
D
Wow, what a nice reply from the gentleman, and thanks for posting it here, John.

I had been doing a lot of searching too. The technical studies turn out to be about the same as suggested. I am already doing Hanon. I will most likely add an etude book for the Etudes, and select one from the Repertoire book.

By the way, I think any Book3er can do Hanon now. It is just finger exercise and without much reading, so I think the sooner the better. Even if you do it slowly, after 1 month or two, you will notice an amazing improvement. All you need is persistence. Just it at your most comfortable and accurate speed a few times daily.

And Hanon can be downloaded free as the copyright has expired.

Dave
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
John, is that the Alfred Essential Keyboard Rep book you picked up?

This one:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store...amp;cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

I have the first volume and have looked through the others. My teacher has commented that he uses the first few books in the series, but also commented that after about book 3 or 4 the series loses direction and they were just publishing more books to have more books to sell.

I would say that volume 1 is about comparable to Keith Snell level 1 & 2. I think they have some of the same pieces. I would have to look at it in more detail to see if it also contains pieces from Keith Snell level 3.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
D
D
Btw, I am also checking "Twenty-five easy and progressive studies for the pianoforte, op 100" by Burgmüller. I have requested it through inter-library loan. When I get it, I will report about it here.

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
John, is that the Alfred Essential Keyboard Rep book you picked up?

This one:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store...amp;cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

I have the first volume and have looked through the others. My teacher has commented that he uses the first few books in the series, but also commented that after about book 3 or 4 the series loses direction and they were just publishing more books to have more books to sell.

I would say that volume 1 is about comparable to Keith Snell level 1 & 2. I think they have some of the same pieces. I would have to look at it in more detail to see if it also contains pieces from Keith Snell level 3.

Rich
Rich - Yes, that's the "Essential Keyboard Repertoire" book I have - Vol.1 - it appears to be a very nicely formatted and useful compilation
with a number of interesting pieces that could easily be used by late-beginners onward.

In a followup email about this series the Alfred guy above stated that it's a decent series but that it won't take you as far into an advanced repertoire as the other two series that he recommended.

Your teacher could very well be correct in the contention that it tends to lose direction in later volumes, one of which is devoted to Sonatinas and another one to works requiring an octave or less in reach (which may not necessarily be a bad thing).

It seems to me we discussed the EKR series in comparison to the Keith Snell series not too long ago in another thread and I'm trying to remember what your reason(s) were for rating the Snell series just a little better in overall quality - maybe you can remind me (was it this lack of direction?).

Dave - thanks for your comments.

regards, JF

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
John,

I like the Keith Snell series better because it is more consistent in terms of the difficulty of pieces in each level. There are so many other series out there that gives you a clear indication of the progression. Alfred's EKR strikes me as requiring a teacher to help with the ordering of pieces and when to move on to another level. I think the editing is better in alfed's series. You usually get more help with ornamentation in alfred's as well. As far as the pieces go, anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the same pieces seem to be the same in the two series. A plus for Keith Snell is that I think it has more 20th century composers.

Rich

D
D
Keith Snell series doesn't have preview on Amazon, so I can't tell the level or decide which one to buy/check out. frown

How many level does the series have? From a quick search I have seen up to level 10.

Dave
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
JF, thanks for the information for studies beyond Alfred 3. It was nice of the gentleman to refer to us as "late-intermediate", but, personally, I doubt it. Whenever I hear my teacher play I realize I am just scratching the surface. But that's OK.

While I was away I finished up "Soldier's Joy" and "Toreador Song". Mak, don't you love that F9/C chord in the third to last measure. I must confess, in order to get the succession of triplets and the last seven measures, I played it while listening to my teacher's version at about 85% speed. It got so I didn't have to think about what was happening as magically the fingers just did what they were supposed to do. Listening is such a powerful tool.

It's now on to "Rock-a My Soul", on which I am making good progress. But I must have played the 7th measure a thousand times to get it right. Mak, I have cheated here as well, as my teacher's recording makes the "swing feel" very easy to follow. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten it had I not heard him play it. I've also started "Prelude in Eb Major" which is giving me fits as I'm trying to establish a methodology for counting the last line. I find it very hard to switch from "one-and-two-and" to "one-two-three-four-five-six". Fortunately, the next piece, "Variations on a Sea Chanty" is fairly straightforward.

I know my cheating ways would not be acceptable at the Conservatory, but I'm running out of time, so for me, it's anything that works.

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DaveInMichigan:
Keith Snell series doesn't have preview on Amazon, so I can't tell the level or decide which one to buy/check out. frown

How many level does the series have? From a quick search I have seen up to level 10.
DaveInMichigan,

Here's the teachers index from www.kjos.com

http://www.kjos.com/pdf/brochures/snell_reper_index.pdf

There are 11 levels (preparatory through 10). Three books in each level for classical music - one for etudes, one for baroque & classical period, and one for romantic & 20th century, plus you can find some jazz, duet, new age, etc books that are correlated to the same levels. (The index for some of the later books are listed on the back of the series, not on the website. I also don't think they have books for these at every level.) You can also buy CD's for each level.

Level wise: several of the pieces in the challenge section are in Level 5 of the Keith Snell series. If you want more preparation to be ready for the challenge section, I would suggest working through level 4 of Keith Snell's series and then the challenge section / level 5 at the same time.

Keith Snell also has a one volume per level series Essential Piano Repertoire of the 17th, 18th, & 19th Centuries. This comes with CD. It does not have as much of the 20th century music, but might be a good approach for some.

Rich

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just thought I'd add - I see a lot of synergy between people posting in the Alfred's threads and I think it would be great to be able to keep that going past book three.

Rich

D
D
Rich, thanks for the information! The Teacher's Index is particular useful as I can look at the index and then search in youtube to listen to them. smile

Dave
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

There are 11 levels (preparatory through 10). Three books in each level for classical music - one for etudes, one for baroque & classical period, and one for romantic & 20th century,

You can also buy CD's for each level.

Keith Snell also has a one volume per level series Essential Piano Repertoire of the 17th, 18th, & 19th Centuries. This comes with CD. It does not have as much of the 20th century music, but might be a good approach for some.

Rich
Rich - after reading your description above and visiting the website you linked to it looks like the "Piano Repertoire" series edited by Keith Snell has 11 levels, and each level consists of 3 books (1. Classical/Baroque, 2. Romantic/Modern & 3. Etudes) for a total of 33 books if one worked thru the entire series - is this correct? This sounds like a pretty through piano education (if perhaps somewhat expensive :p ).

So, just to briefly summarize, here are the recommended organized, multi-volume, multi-level, intermediate to advanced series that can be used both concurrently with and long beyond the Basic Alfred Adult series:

From Alfred:
------------

1. Essential Keyboard Repertoire - 7 volumes

2. The Spirit Series - 8 volumes

3. Masterwork Classics - 10 volumes

From Kjos Publish.:
-------------------

4. Piano Repertoire - 33 Volumes at 11 levels (Keith Snell edited)

5. Essential Piano Repertoire - ? volumes (1/level) - edited by K.S.

Any other series that anyone would care to mention?

OldFingers - welcome back! Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the update on your efforts to master those tough Book 3 pieces. I'm with you on doing whatever it takes to get the job done thumb

Regards, JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Level wise: several of the pieces in the challenge section are in Level 5 of the Keith Snell series. If you want more preparation to be ready for the challenge section, I would suggest working through level 4 of Keith Snell's series and then the challenge section / level 5 at the same time.
These look interesting thanks! I'd love to try some of the Baroque/Classical but I'm only on the end of Alfreds book 1. Have you any idea where the Snell books preparatory level would fit in with Alfreds?

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
laugh Well John, since you asked. laugh

Celebration Series Perspectives (11 levels) used for RCM examinations. Frederick Harris Music Company.

The Developing Artist Series (5 levels literature & 4 levels of Sonatinas + Piano Literature for a Dark and Stormy Night laugh who can resist that title.)

Succeeding with the Masters (3 levels, 7 books - On your way to succeeding with the masters, followed by a Baroque vol 1 & 2, Classical vol 1 & 2, and Romantic vol 1 & 2) Note that these books only contain the big composers, all are about intermediate level. They do have a page or so of practice suggestions with each piece.

Succeeding with the Masters: The Festival Collection (7 levels)

Bastian Piano Literatue (5 levels)

Classics to Moderns (not sure how many levels)

Rich

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BazC:
[b]Level wise: several of the pieces in the challenge section are in Level 5 of the Keith Snell series. If you want more preparation to be ready for the challenge section, I would suggest working through level 4 of Keith Snell's series and then the challenge section / level 5 at the same time.
These look interesting thanks! I'd love to try some of the Baroque/Classical but I'm only on the end of Alfreds book 1. Have you any idea where the Snell books preparatory level would fit in with Alfreds? [/b]
The Preparatory pieces look more like the ones in the first half or so of Alfred's 1. Maybe try level 1?

Rich

Page 22 of 75 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission