Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (anamnesis, ahoffmann, Almaviva, Amosdoll, 20 invisible), 1155 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 48 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 47 48 >
Topic Options
#1079420 - 10/13/08 05:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
keycrazy - here is the series of Alfred books many people here in the forums use:

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, Levels 1,2 & 3

Regards, JF

P.S. like your avatar, but I had it first! :p

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1079421 - 10/14/08 01:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
johnnymb Offline

Loc: Southeast Pa.
Hey John Frank - WRONG, mine, mine mine all mine!!!!! Nov 2007, you 2008. 670 posts since February, man when do you practice? Best wishes fellow Pennsylvanian!

#1079422 - 10/14/08 04:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keycrazy:
Hey John Frank - WRONG, mine, mine mine all mine!!!!! Nov 2007, you 2008. [/b]
I stand corected - you beat me by time, but I've given it a better workout! And I'm not changing :p (who is that avatar anyway - John Wilkes Booth, Jesse James or someone else equally evil? \:D

Quote:
670 posts since February, man when do you practice? Best wishes fellow Pennsylvanian! [/b]
I practice while I post ;\)

Regards, JF

#1079423 - 10/17/08 10:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
I wanted to drop in and say 'hi'.

I just finished Book 2 and have started Book 3. I can't believe I've made it to this point.

#1079424 - 10/17/08 11:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Way to go! I'm hanging in with this book..there are some real challenges!

#1079425 - 10/18/08 06:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyborg:

I just finished Book 2 and have started Book 3. I can't believe I've made it to this point. [/b]
I'll say "Welcome to Book 3" if you'll say the same to me in another week or two

Regards, JF

#1079426 - 10/19/08 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

Good luck with your continuing progress! I couldn't believe it either when I got into book 3, now I'm wondering if there is a 4!! Just kidding! take care!

#1079427 - 10/21/08 01:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piano4:
now I'm wondering if there is a 4!! Just kidding! take care! [/b]
Maybe there should be!

Still hoping to hear from you in a Recital or Piano Bar piano4

Regards, JF

#1079428 - 10/21/08 11:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
snowyday Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Is anybody else working on the first movement of Moonlight Sonata? I need someone to commiserate with! \:\(

#1079429 - 10/22/08 10:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snowyday:
Is anybody else working on the first movement of Moonlight Sonata? I need someone to commiserate with! \:\( [/b]
First movement? You mean there's more than one? ;\)

Sorry - I can commiserate with you - just not about the "Moonlight".

Regards, JF

#1079430 - 10/22/08 01:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
sbux Offline

Quote:
Is anybody else working on the first movement of Moonlight Sonata? I need someone to commiserate with! \:\( [/b]
Check this out:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7331.html

#1079431 - 10/23/08 03:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
snowyday Offline

JF, when you get into Book 3 you will see that Moonlight Sonata is on the last four pages in the "Ambitious" section. I have been slogging my why through it for about four weeks now.

#1079432 - 10/24/08 07:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
JF, when you get into Book 3 you will see that Moonlight Sonata is on the last four pages in the "Ambitious" section. I have been slogging my why through it for about four weeks now. [/b]
Yes, I've seen it there - will probably be 1 1/2 years (or more) before I get to it in my studies - but keep "slogging" (as you say) - you'll master it eventually - the slogging will turn to cruising thru it almost effortlessly (sounds good, huh?) - it's a piece that's worth the extra effort - keep after it!

Regards, JF

#1079433 - 10/24/08 10:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Cyborg Offline

Well, I'm polishing up "Super Special Sorta Song" or whatever it's called for the upcoming two weeks, as I won't have my lesson next week. It was assigned to me last week but it's definitely not polished enough. Also, my teacher wanted to skip "Calypso Rhumba" so we went straight to "Fandango".

Of course I'm working on Hymns and Christmas pieces too not related to Book 3.

#1079434 - 10/24/08 10:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
I wanted to drop in and say 'hi'.

I just finished Book 2 and have started Book 3. I can't believe I've made it to this point. [/b]
Congrats...welcome!

#1079435 - 10/24/08 12:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Of course I'm working on Hymns and Christmas pieces too not related to Book 3. [/b]
Cyborg - which Hymns & Christmas pieces are you working on?

Regards, JF

#1079436 - 10/24/08 12:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Cyborg Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:

Regards, JF [/b]
I just started working out of this Alfred's Hymn Book:

Alfred\'s Adult Sacred Book - Level 2

"Sweet Hour of Prayer"

I have an Alfred's Level 3 Christmas book from last year and stuggled with it. It was too advanced for me at the time. I'm using it again this year and having better success. I've been working on Christmas items since late August.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the pieces I've worked on from this book

Frosty the Snow Man
I'll be Home for Christmas
Silver Bells
and I think two other pices that I can't think of right now.

Have you started working on Book 3?

#1079437 - 10/24/08 03:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:

Regards, JF [/b]
I just started working out of this Alfred's Hymn Book:

Alfred\'s Adult Sacred Book - Level 2

"Sweet Hour of Prayer"

Have you started working on Book 3? [/b]
The Sacred Book, Level 2 is the supplemental book I just finished with - I was using it all along as a companion to Alfred 2! (see one of my most recent posts in the Alfred 2 thread) - I've recorded 2 Hymns from it in recent Piano Bars. There is alot of great stuff in there - very nicely arranged hymns! There are also some nicely arranged Hymns in the Level 1 Sacred Book, which I also worked my way thru.

I will start work in Book 3 on Monday. I'm also working on some Christmas pieces myself - intermediate level pieces from a volume titled "The Big Book of Christmas Carols" - I may put 3 of them together into a medley and record it for the upcoming Recital (#12 on 11/15).

Regards, JF

#1079438 - 10/25/08 04:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

HI all, JF, as soon as I put up my webcam and actually learn how to connect my laptop to my clavinova, I'll be doing recital. I did read how to connect, but my piano is five years old and I stlll haven't read all of the manual(s).
Anyhow, I am getting through the "Star-Spangled Banner" and my instructor has started me with just the first page of "Toccata in D Minor". I'm excited about this and I know I'll probably be pulling my hair out (but guess what, I still just LUV A CHALLENGE (smile). Wish luck me all:-)

#1079439 - 10/26/08 10:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Piano4 - which model Clavinova do you use? - mine is the CVP-301- I read the manual to mine, but it took awhile & I still don't understand fully some of the features - but it's a beautiful instrument with a surprising good sound I start Book 3 tomorrow (Monday, 10/27).

Regards, JF

#1079440 - 10/27/08 10:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Started Book 3 today - working on "A Super-Special Sorta Song!", which is not all that super-special. It's not too bad musically but the lyrics are right out of Sesame Street (not that there's anything wrong with that):

"Light and easy, play it bright and breezy.
And this super-special song will make you smile
like 'Mona Leezy'." \:\)

So bad it's good (in a goofy sort of way).

Not sure at this point whether - as I did for Books 1 & 2 - I will work on all the pieces in Book 3 (if only because they're in there & I'll be able to say I did), or whether I'll just concentrate on the more musically interesting and technically challenging pieces - we'll see.

Also continuing my review of select Book 2 pieces - currently bearing down again on "Waltz in G Minor" from near the end. Good piece - deserves to be played well.

Play on Book 3ers

Regards, JF

#1079441 - 10/27/08 05:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

Hi JF, yes, that "super special song" is a bit dorky, but, not bad. My clavinova is CVP-700 and I have some how misplaced the blessed(!) extremely large manual!! But i do have the step-by-step picture diagram. It's in my living room and i"ll find it before the evening is over! ;\)

My instructor is looking at other pieces in book 3 and that's why she chose the Bach piece for me to learn. I have the first measure. It'll take me a bit! Thanks!

#1079442 - 10/27/08 09:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Cyborg Offline

JF,

Welcome to Book 3!

Super Special Sorta Song hasn't done much for me either. I guess that's why I didn't put in the effort the first week of working on it. So I have it until Thursday I hope. \:D

I think my teacher will have me skipping some of the pieces in the book. We have already skipped one piece.

#1079443 - 10/28/08 07:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
piano4 Offline

i found the manual! I know that Ican record on a regular 2.5 computer disc( that's how I record my practice) however, my computer only does CDs. I know there's a way!

yes, there are some good pieces in book 3. Have fun!

#1079444 - 10/28/08 05:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
JF,

Welcome to Book 3!

[/b]
Thanks - it's good to finally be here!

Regards, JF

#1079445 - 10/29/08 01:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
snowyday Offline

JF, congratulations on making it to Book 3! I am still working on Moonlight Sonata, but it is going better now. I have a working familiarity with all four pages, but LOTS of work left to do on the dynmamics.

#1079446 - 10/29/08 04:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

snowyday - thanks for the congrats! And glad to hear you're making some progress on the "Moonlight" - I looked ahead and checked out the music and I'm impressed that you're doing well with this complex piece - can't imagine myself tackling this at this point - need to work my way thru Book 3 alot longer & farther - good luck - hope to hear your rendition in a Recital or Monthly Piano Bar someday soon.

Regards, JF

#1079447 - 10/29/08 10:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, MA
I've reconnected with cyberspace and couldn't wait to check in to see how the Alfred Level Threes were doing. Congratulations to Mark for his new piano. I particularly envy his nice high ceiling. My RX-3 is still giving me problems in my low-ceiling music room, regardless of the amount of acoustic treatment I give it. I'm thinking about going digital.

It's good to see that John Frank has joined the group, as his enthusiasm is definitely contagious.

During the summer I continued to work through the Alfred book, but must admit to progressing at a much slower pace as I find it takes me much longer to extract all of the information in each piece. It was also harder not having my teacher to guide me. At the moment I'm trying to make "Steal Away" more musical. I was concentrating so hard on counting the timing that it came out being very mechanical. Now my teacher wants me to loosen up and put some expression in it. I'm also trying to get the 1/16-note timing right on "Trumpet Tune". It seems that playing the piano is timing, timing, timing,...

With respect to an earlier post, I admit to skipping the "Just for Fun" pieces, as I'm more interested in spending my time on material that requires that I learn new things.

Anyway, JF, I saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the next level. I still play the Etude from Level 2 while having Jo Stafford's "No Other Love" in my head. That was a great tip you gave me.

Bob

#1079448 - 10/29/08 10:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by OldFingers:
I've reconnected with cyberspace and couldn't wait to check in to see how the Alfred Level Threes were doing. Congratulations to Mark for his new piano. I particularly envy his nice high ceiling. My RX-3 is still giving me problems in my low-ceiling music room, regardless of the amount of acoustic treatment I give it. I'm thinking about going digital.

It's good to see that John Frank has joined the group, as his enthusiasm is definitely contagious.

During the summer I continued to work through the Alfred book, but must admit to progressing at a much slower pace as I find it takes me much longer to extract all of the information in each piece. It was also harder not having my teacher to guide me. At the moment I'm trying to make "Steal Away" more musical. I was concentrating so hard on counting the timing that it came out being very mechanical. Now my teacher wants me to loosen up and put some expression in it. I'm also trying to get the 1/16-note timing right on "Trumpet Tune". It seems that playing the piano is timing, timing, timing,...

With respect to an earlier post, I admit to skipping the "Just for Fun" pieces, as I'm more interested in spending my time on material that requires that I learn new things.

Anyway, JF, I saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the next level. I still play the Etude from Level 2 while having Jo Stafford's "No Other Love" in my head. That was a great tip you gave me.

Bob [/b]
Good to hear from you Bob. I think book 3 could be a life's work. My teacher had me skip the "Just for Fun" pieces also. She didn't care for them. As for timing, its my biggest problem. I tend to play by feel more than counting. I'm doing a lot of side work to fix that problem.

I'm playing and cleaning up many of the book 3 pieces and working on a couple in the "Ambitious Section"

Thanks for the kind words on the piano.

Keep in touch, or I'll make JohnFrank come and get you... \:\)

Mark

#1079449 - 10/30/08 08:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldFingers:
I've reconnected with cyberspace and couldn't wait to check in to see how the Alfred Level Threes were doing. [/b]
Oldfingers! Welcome back! I was wondering about you from time to time. Good to hear from you again! \:\)

Quote:
It's good to see that John Frank has joined the group, as his enthusiasm is definitely contagious.[/b]
Thanks - I catch it from myself every morning! ;\)

Quote:
During the summer I continued to work through the Alfred book, but must admit to progressing at a much slower pace as I find it takes me much longer to extract all of the information in each piece.[/b]
The speed of your progress is not that awfully important - it's more about your control, assuance and confidence at the keyboard whatever piece you're working on at whatever level - it's far more important to take your time and get it right - constant review helps immensely!

Quote:
Anyway, JF, I saw your post and wanted to welcome you to the next level. I still play the Etude from Level 2 while having Jo Stafford's "No Other Love" in my head. That was a great tip you gave me. Bob [/b]
Thanks again for the welcome Bob - it's great to be here (thought I would never get here!) - and thanks for reminding me of the "Etude" piece (aka "No Other Love") - beautiful piece of music, either way - just in case you're interested at all here's a thread of mine where I recorded my version (along with 2 other Book 2 pieces):

JF\'s thread with recording of "Etude, Op.10, No.3"

Regards, JF

Page 8 of 48 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 47 48 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Because breaking up is hard to do
by earlofmar
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Piano teacher recommendation in Salamanca,Spain?
by JessicaB
Yesterday at 10:30 PM
yamaha c3x vs shigeru sk3
by Fang
Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Casio & Technics
by JEB NYC
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
Fingerings on sheet music
by paradice
Yesterday at 07:11 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,699 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,820 Topics
2,389,983 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission