2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jac Ang Offline OP
OP Offline
It has been sometimes from the day i start piano till today.Ever since 2003 July,i have been attending regular piano lesson unless my teacher need a holiday.Presently,i am still in the midst of practising grade 2 examination pieces and taking my theory grade 2 on March

I am wondering how long to take to practice each day and to speed up my process in achieving Grade 8.

Is it adviseable to skip some theory grading for lower grade?

Not sure how long does it take to have Grade 8 and wondering how you guys achieve?Any experience or advises to share?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Some say stop at 40 minutes, take a break.

Hi Jac, How are you doing ?

As I say I barely started learning piano with a teacher from 1.11.04 (Good Date to remember) and I try to practise at least an hour each day. Wish to have more time but got to work, eat, sleep, play with kids etc etc ....

Personnally I think 1-2 hrs for an adult should be
ideal.

Hmmm so far I am quite happy with my own progress and so do my teacher smile

An apple a day keep the doctor away,
A smile a day chase your sadness away,
A chat a day drive all loneliness away,
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You know what everyone says, it's not how long you practice but the quality of your practice that matters. This is something I totally agree with! having said that:

I prefer to practice for at least two hours whenever possible. I start out with an exercise from Czerny, then work on my first piece, and then I always stand up and move around after that (maybe about 45 minutes) so that I don't get tensed up or tired. Then I usually switch to my next piece, work on that and then get up and take a slightly longer break than the first break. After that, I usually play a piece from my repertoire and then my time is about up. I write a few comments in my piano diary and then usually have housework or work-work to do!

If I can spend more than 2 hours (if it's a weekend or holiday or I am just really lucky) I either take a break every hour or so, or I split my practice up and do one session in the morning and one in the evening. This is definitely my favorite way to practice, but I can almost never find this much time.

Regarding how much you "should" practice each day, it depends on your schedule, and what you are practicing, but I always think an hour is a good length. If you are working on more than one piece, or doing lots of exercises or scales, than you might need more time.

If you start to get tired or frustrated, or are just stuck and not progressing, taking a 5 to 15 minute break is an excellent way to refresh your mind.

OTOH If you are busy with work or other non-piano things, even 15 minutes of practice is better than nothing.

Regarding skipping theory or advancing to a certain grade, I'll leave that up to someone else because I don't know what your course is etc. However, although there are some general guidelines about how long it takes to achieve a certain level, in the end it's always up to the individual.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jac Ang Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing smile .It is always nice listening

Chwee,
Ya i am fine!
Hope that every thing is fine as well for you!

Yeah Jac, the right way to practise is more important than the time spent on practice.

By the way, how are you getting along with your teacher ? I've bought the super sight-reading book and the complete idiot guide to music theory. If you are interested, can let you take a look smile

An apple a day keep the doctor away,
A smile a day chase your sadness away,
A chat a day drive all loneliness away,
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission