2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1080714 11/21/04 05:47 PM
D
D
I would be very careful of what recordings you listen to. I bought a "Chopin Super Hits" CD and I think it is terrible! I hope I NEVER sound like some of those recordings. Straight into the trash.

I did listen to the Arthur Rubenstein recordings the other day and I think I am going to have to buy them. The whole set is only $1500 or so at Amazon. eek

I think I'll have to settle for the Nocturnes CD. by itself. My mom tells me she likes Jose Iturbi even more...I just can't find any Chopin recordings of his.

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
www.kirkhammotorsports.com
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net
#1080715 11/22/04 09:16 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Actually, that's not the book I have.

Mine is "Chopin: An Introduction to his Piano Works." Second edition, edited by Palmer, published by Alfred. It came with a CD by that same artist Valerie what's-her-name.

The main difference is that there are 19 pieces in the book I have. Here's the closest version I could find (which has 18 pieces):

Chopin Book

This edition doesn't seem to come with the CD, but you can buy it separately:

Chopin CD
Hmmm.....the closest I can find is this . It's edited by Palmer and has the CD by Valery Lloyd-Watts. Unfortunately, it only has 10 pieces. frown

I guess this will be the one to get.

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
#1080716 11/22/04 09:18 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Another performer I like for Chopin in Idel Biret. She has about 6 CDs of Chopin. I found them at B&N.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
#1080717 11/22/04 09:25 AM
This CD:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...6260454-4211335?v=glance&s=classical

by Richard Goode is one of the best Chopin discs I've bought in a while.

It contains:

Polonaise-Fantasie
Nocturne Op.55 No.2
5 Mazurkas
Scherzo No.4
Barcarolle

#1080718 11/22/04 09:28 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have some of Idel Biret's recordings of Chopin. "Chopin Favorites" I think it is called.

I like her playing but others here do not. I have not heard a lot of performers play Chopin so my exposure is limited.

#1080719 11/22/04 09:37 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
IMHO, Rubinstein is the definitive performer for almost all of Chopin's works... most especially the waltzes. I've spent probably hundreds of hours as a kid listening to his recordings. I have his sound so entrenched in my ears, though, that it becomes what I compare everyone else to.

I'm sure there are equally good performances out there by other talented pianists but, fortunately or unfortunately, they'll all be judged against Rubinstein for me.

#1080720 11/22/04 10:55 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I certainly do not claim to be an expert on performers - Idel's CD's were affordable for me and she seems to have good credentials. Listening to her work has helped me with the Preludes and my Nocturne. My old piano teacher was a huge Rubenstein fan as well,Nina.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
#1080721 12/06/04 08:17 AM
OP Offline
Well, I received my "Frederic Chopin: The First Book for Pianists - Book/CD" over the weekend. URL: book/CD

I just started playing the first piece (Waltz in A minor). It's not too difficult for me smile and about the right level. Beautful piece. I should have it down in a few weeks. On the CD, I noticed that Valery Lloyd-Watts plays with quite a bit of rubato. More than I would use. Given that this is the Romantic period, I guess this is acceptable?

I haven't played many Romantic period pieces. I've played mostly Classical and Baroque periods.

#1080722 12/06/04 08:22 AM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by devils4ever:
On the CD, I noticed that Valery Lloyd-Watts plays with quite a bit of rubato. More than I would use. Given that this is the Romantic period, I guess this is acceptable?

I haven't played many Romantic period pieces. I've played mostly Classical and Baroque periods.
I think some pianists over-do the rubato thing with Chopin. As I've always understood it, Chopin used a very steady left hand, and used rubato in the right hand almost exclusively.

Wynne
#1080723 12/06/04 08:26 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rubato is acceptable as long as it isn't excessive and warping the rhythm and stability of the performance. Good taste should be your guide. Learn the piece with strict rhythmic impulses and then you have a standard from which you can depart but not too much. Listen to good performers to get an idea of acceptable boundaries. In listening to some of the person's playing you name, I would suggest you find other examples by better artists.

The post by WynnBear is pretty much correct the comparison being, as I remember, the left hand as the trunk of the tree (pretty much immovable) and the right hand moving gently (branches and leaves) above it. Otherwise one runs the risk of storm, hurricane, and tornado!! An 'artist'(and the term is used very loosely) came for a program here and slaughtered the 4th Ballade of Chopin--just awful performance--pounding, banging, excessive rushing--total loss of control. That's something definitely want to avoid.

#1080724 12/06/04 09:08 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Varcon:
Rubato is acceptable as long as it isn't excessive and warping the rhythm and stability of the performance. Good taste should be your guide. Learn the piece with strict rhythmic impulses and then you have a standard from which you can depart but not too much. Listen to good performers to get an idea of acceptable boundaries. In listening to some of the person's playing you name, I would suggest you find other examples by better artists.
Thanks for your response. Which pianist(s) would you recommend?

#1080725 12/06/04 09:29 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah--you ask something that would bring up some variance in opinion. There are several noted pianists famous for their Chopin interpretations--Ignaz Friedman, Artur Rubinstein, Ignace Paderewski, Benno Moiseiwich, Guiomar Novaes. I prefer Novaes, Friedman, and Paderewski tho they are less known now. Friedman's Chopin Mazurkas are pretty much the definitive recordings. Among the young, modern performers some have acquired some fame as Chopin interpreters. I would hesitate to recommend any of them tho as their playing seems rather bland musically. They can dash them off technically but little passion and feeling. Gilels and Richter would be good too. All in all, it's pretty much a matter of taste, background, training, exposure.

Ex., in playing some things for my class I chose one piece played by three different pianists and they did not know which person was performing (recordings, of course). They were to choose the one they liked the best for whatever reason. Of the three choices, Paderewski was always the favorite. I found that rather interesting as he is panned by many for a less than formidable technique. Dubal in his book defends him after listening to some of his recordings. I, too, think he was quite technically proficient when one hears his ability to trill, to create nuances, and to carry off difficult passages with apparent ease. It's an ongoing controversy. Anyway, there are plenty of better performances out there than the one you have! I'm sure others will suggest alternates. In the end, let your own ear be your guide. It should ultimately be your choice as to which pianist(s) you prefer for performing certain composers or styles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission