2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ratdart Offline OP
OP Offline
I see most people on here talk about teachers or lessons. I don't have a teacher and taught myself to read music for the guitar first, then I transitioned to the piano.

I bought myself 5 books. One that's Hanon, one that has Mozart, one Chopin, one J.S. Bach, and one Beethoven. I've picked out songs (Mozart's Minuet in F Major; Chopin's Prelude in A Major) and just learned them on my own.

I guess I'm asking if I need a teacher at all(can't afford it), or if I should at least get some lesson books, or if what I'm doing is ok. I don't want to develop bad techniques.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Try some DVDs. They can show you technique. ex. Lisitsa playing Chopin Etudes
Also, record yourself. Listening to yourself can be a shockingly cold shower. Do not let hearing your first efforts discourage you.

V
V
Hi Chas,
I am in a similar situation.Could you suggest a few more of these titles especially for a beginner and where would they be available.
Is Piano Suite a good teching software

N
N
vgeorge, zgeorge.

K
K
Hi Ratdart-- Love that name! Say, I "taught myself", and I'm a pretty darned good pianist, if I say so myself (and I do). I think that it can work, especially if you have grasped a previous instrument. I'm about to start taking lessons soon (only cuz I want to be a jazz pianist, and I can't seem to learn that on my own), so I'll let you know if my teacher thinks I'm all washed up. Maybe I'll find out I've gone about it all wrong?!? Stay tuned.

~kat

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I hope not!

Besides, that would mean I am a bad boy...

Support our troops!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
there is nothing wrong learning on your own or teaching yourself. many people do it that way, me included. there are many resouces over on internet, on books or videos/dvds that you could use for learning.

usually it's good to go through some method books at the beginning to get some basics, before learning some real pieces. also, it's a good idea to look at yourself playing from another angle, video taping yourself or putting a mirror on side to watch out your hand/finger position that you couldn't see over keyboard so that you could avoid some incorrect playing habits.

also, get some technique books along the way to gain some deeper knowledge about playing physics/mechanics, such as the following books:

- Mastering Piano Techiniques by Awymour Fink
- With your Own Two Hands/20 Lewssons in Keyboard Choreography by Semour Bernstein
- Abby Whiteside on Piano Playing (which i am currenly reading and it's very useful)

There's nothing wrong with learning on your own if you don't want or can't afford lessons. But I think the old mantra about golf lessons also applies to piano lessons - you will learn more spending 5 minutes with a professional than spending 5 days thrashing about on your own. If you're just looking to be able to sit down at a piano and amuse yourself and your friends, that's one thing. But I think some type of lessons at some point in your piano playing career are important if you really want to PLAY the piano. Even if it's just a basic introductory series. The most valuable lesson I've learned from my teacher - and he keeps drilling this into me because I keep losing track of it - is that how you play is much more important that what you play. It's not whether you're playing the right notes, but whether whatever notes you are playing are being played right. The things that go into playing a note right - form, technique, touch, expression - are hard to pick up from a book or a video. And if affordability is the real issue, be careful that you don't spend more on "non-lessons" than you would spend on lessons. Back to the golf analogy - lots of golfers think nothing of dropping a couple of hundred dollars every season on a new club of some sort. But typically, that money could easily be spent on, and would be much better spent on a few lessons with a professional. Good luck.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes, I think you are really missing out on all kinds of things if you are without tutorial help.

We can make things SOOOOO much easier for you. Especially at the beginning. Bad habits are hard to break.

Then after studying with a teacher, you can learn many many songs on your own, but again, I think there are so many benefits to having someone teach you, that you might never want to 'not' have lessons.

It is very hard for a teacher to break the bad habits you have already learned and it might be discouraging to take a couple steps backwards if you get a teacher later.

It sounds like the reason you do not have a teacher now is money. I am sure there is a way that you can afford lessons by doing a little something extra to earn money enough for a half hour lesson a week. Be creative. Bake bread. Clean someones house. Etc.

My last thought is this. Even when I could play and even teach, I always found that a teacher helped. Insite, tricks, knowledge, and the descipline that something had to be learned by the next lesson!

Good luck. Whiting has some good thoughts. "you will learn more spending 5 minutes with a professional than spending 5 days thrashing about on your own" for one.

Roberta, ex teacher.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think a lot depends on what kind of piano player you want to be. If you want to play classical piano well enough to win contests or have a career in music, you'd be an idiot not to find the best teacher you can find - and the earlier the better. Otherwise, you'll find that you spend a lot more time unlearning the bad habits you've picked up - and may actually slow your progress.

On the other hand, if your musical interest is pretty casual, you only want to tinker a bit - play some simple pop tunes - or improvise a bit, you might be able to get away without a teacher.

On the whole, if you can get a good teacher from the start, you'll typically make faster and more effective progress.

Ken

tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with kluurs. I think it will depend on what your personal piano-playing goals are. Having a teacher might not be as critical if you are mainly wanting to "play for fun". However, I, too, firmly believe that a good teacher is invaluable in terms of offering insight, teaching technique, sharing the history behind pieces and composes (particularly for classical music), helping you work through trouble spots more effectively, noticing when you are playing something incorrectly, etc.

Lessons are expensive. Perhaps you would be able to find a class at your local community college. Or, maybe you could find a teacher who can squeeze you in once or twice a month--just so you have an "expert" available on occasion to help you with some of your pieces. But, if you can't find something that will work for you within your financial means (or lack thereof!), so be it! Keep plugging away anyway! If later down the line you can easily afford lessons and then find out that you have developed a lot of bad habits, well, fine--that is something you will just work through. If you are enjoying it and are motivated right now--keep playing, teacher or not!

Aside: So, uh, are you trying to beat Jerry Luke in the "more avatars than any other member" competition? wink

SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I too am just "playing for fun", but I also want to play correctly. I'm not saying you won't without a teacher, but I've learned so many things from my teacher that I wouldn't have picked up in a book. I wasn't very musical to begin with though, so I'm sure some people have better luck with it than others. The lessons aren't cheap, but I decided to cut back in a couple of other areas to be able to afford it.

I'd also check out lessons at a community college, or even a university if there's on in your area. The University of Texas has a program called UT Informal Classes, and they have classes in everything from music to pilates to foreign languages, just about anything your could imagine. They have piano lessons, with both group and individual lessons and it's really reasonable. I think maybe have a few lessons would help, you wouldn't have to necessarily take them all the time. I'm sure there are other schools that do something similar.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by tk:
So, uh, are you trying to beat Jerry Luke in the "more avatars than any other member" competition? wink
Ha! At least I *HAVE* an avatar. wink

Support our troops!
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I thought "Piano Suite" was horrible. Had to start with a download of a patch. Software was troublesome. It was too much trouble to use.

You can get by without lessons, but nothing I suggested is a substitute for lessons. If you have no choice look for learning DVDs to start with.

I only know that watching Lesitsa play Chopin was good for me because I am a Monkey See, Monkey Do learner. Following a good skier was the best way for me to learn etc.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
After about three years of lessons, take a break and try it on your own.

Ratdart -- good question. I was self taught from age 12 on until many, many years later (okay I turned 60 yesterday).

I worked a lot on my own until college, played casually for several years, then came the kids, job, travel, broken piano and began lessons for the first time just over 3 years ago.

Whiting, Lily and klurrs gave you very, very good advice. REREAD their posts.

The younger you are the quicker you learn -- best under 12, then under 18 -- so you are on the cusp of a great learning time. Learning slows after that.

I've loved the lessons. Perhaps you worked with a coach in sports (golf analogy is very apt), or a mentor. There was a thread a few months ago looking for what makes a great pianist, many said some ability, a lot of hard work and a good teacher. Check out the thread.

Having been there, and seen the progress and fun of learning from a good teacher -- can't believe I was questioning myself about whether to take lessons.

Ed

2005 Steinway B
Ratdart Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the responses. I haven't played long enough to see if I want to do this piano thing as a profession, but I doubt I will. I am with SAS where I want to play for fun but play correctly so I'll see about college (next year is my senior year in high school) so college is soon.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

R
R
You Don't need lessons. I've enjoyed nearly every minute I've played the piano without lessons, and I never liked lessons. This has applied to me for about 40 uears now. Listen to piano players, watch Chico Marx, and have a good time.

I have a new mistress. She's black and curvy and pretty and sounds great and has great legs. I call her "Petrof".
S
S
ditto Ragtime.....where abouts in CA are you?
I bet we have some mutual friends.

I try to live, love and laugh as much as I can every day, because every day may be my last
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For me, a teacher is invaluable. I'd never stick with one piece long enough to learn it properly if I didn't have to play it each week for someone. I'd get way too frustrated without tips on how to play properly, little bits of encouragement, and oh yes! piano conversation!! everyone else I know can't stop their eyes from glazing over at the mere mention of "scores," "theory," or heaven forbid "classical" anything.......

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission