Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1081359 - 01/30/08 03:23 AM I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Just thought I'd mention to some of the dear folks here that I just started PianoMagic this weekend - finally! I have asked enough questions about it that I assume some of you may be interested to find out this latest development.

It's definitely a different way of thinking and learning, and it's not "traditional". So far I am approaching each lesson with a sense of excitement of discovery. I haven't taken paid lessons of any kind for a long time and these lessons just keep me so interested.

Any slim hope that I may prepare a piece (playing from score) for the upcoming recital is gone. :p I am spending a bit more time over at PM and at the piano learning. But don't do anything I won't do - I am still keeping an eye on all of you!

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1081360 - 01/30/08 05:05 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Good luck kiddo. I will be watching your progress as well.

Sounds like you are going to "dive in the deep end" and put aside everything for a while. As you know, I think that's the smart thing to do, based on my short roadtrip the other way.

Keep in touch.

#1081361 - 01/30/08 06:15 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
...another convert methinks !! Just wait until Brother Lee reads this \:\)

#1081362 - 01/30/08 08:21 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Brother Lee?...LOL

text, I have already said "hello" to Rosanna over there and have been looking forward to her joining for quite a while \:\) I am really excited about how things are going to pan out...lets wait and see ;\)

To be honest I'm sure she's in for a real blast I can just feel it...Rosanna, to let you know I just can't wait for the pennies to start to dropping

regards

Lee \:\)

#1081363 - 01/30/08 08:25 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
[quote : Any slim hope that I may prepare a piece (playing from score) for the upcoming recital is gone.]

Jeepers, you'll be ready to post something by ear then anyway, and I can't wait to hear it! \:\)

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#1081364 - 01/30/08 09:00 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
...I know Lee I was also at the initiation ceremony.

#1081365 - 01/30/08 09:13 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
So far I am approaching each lesson with a sense of excitement of discovery. I haven't taken paid lessons of any kind for a long time and these lessons just keep me so interested.

[/b]
That's terrific, Rosanna! That's what piano should be all about.

Looking forward to hearing regular progress reports from you. \:\)

#1081366 - 01/31/08 01:54 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
I will be watching your progress as well.
[/b]
 Quote:
Originally posted by rerun:

you'll be ready to post something by ear then anyway, and I can't wait to hear it!
[/b]
Uh-oh, no pressure pleazzze...

I posted a question over at PM yesterday, and another member's answer (actually Troy, who is also a PW member) made me see a whole different perspective on playing by ear (vs playing by score.) It's exciting and scary at the same time. It's a whole new awareness, new way of relating to music than what I consciously know, or have been trained for. I also realize that whatever piano experience I have doesn't count at all - at least not at this stage. But the good thing is that I was made conscious of how I relate to music now, and can put that aside in order to learn a new way.

We've heard some PM members warn that some people with previous piano experience don't progress as well, or don't like the PM method. I think it may not be due to closed mindedness, or trying to go too fast, etc. It may just be not seeing the existing "filter"/awareness that they carry, and thus missing the "right" way to relate to PM. I for one was in that situation, unknowingly, until I got a very enlightening answer from Troy.

Sheesh, I may sound like Seaside someday, the way I am extolling the virtues of being in PM. :p

#1081367 - 01/31/08 03:12 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
It's lovely to read and feel such enthusiasm Rosanna. \:\) Have a great time there and I look forward to reading about, and hearing, your progress.

#1081368 - 01/31/08 02:33 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
TonyB Offline

Loc: Twin Cities
Hi all:

This Piano Magic sounds interesting. Though I am involved in the Shinn course for the next year or two, I will at some point be interested in looking at Piano Magic as another approach to learn with in addition to what I will already have learned. However, I looked at the site and it appears to me that you would need to be running something other than Linux to have the necessary tools to use the videos and whatever other teaching materials the site presents. Is this true?

Thanks,

Tony

#1081369 - 01/31/08 03:08 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi Tony!

Go to the site and try to register. You will see that before you can register there's first a compatibility check. If you 'pass' it, then you will be able to use PianoMagic.

#1081370 - 01/31/08 03:18 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
TonyB Offline

Astra:

Thanks! I will try that. Reading all the discussions about Piano Magic, that method seems quite viable, and I am interested in checking it out as an addition to what I am already doing sometime in the future. Maybe that is not the best way to do it, but right now I want to stay focused on my current course until I finish it. But I also am intrigued by the things people are saying about Piano Magic.

Thanks,

Tony

#1081371 - 01/31/08 06:56 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
bigbeardale Offline

Loc: PA
 Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB:
Hi all:

This Piano Magic sounds interesting. it appears to me that you would need to be running something other than Linux to have the necessary tools to use the videos and whatever other teaching materials the site presents. Is this true?

Thanks,

Tony [/b]
Hi Tony
I am a member over at Piano Magic, and sometimes I use my mepis linux cds in live mode, and everything seems to work fine.

Dale

#1081372 - 01/31/08 08:08 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
TonyB Offline

Dale:

Thanks for the info! That definitely tells me what I needed to know.

Thanks,

Tony

#1081373 - 02/01/08 05:39 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
troy1troy Offline

Loc: USA
Wow Rosanna! I didn't realize that I made my point that well. I usually just ramble and don't make sense. I'm REALLY glad you understand......that's probably the biggest hurdle for folks with previous experience.

You've been there for only a few weeks, and I assume you already see why you need to check your experience at the door? It's not because it doesn't apply. It's because it "temporarily" gets in the way of seeing things in a different perspective.

After a good amount of time with PM, you'll be shocked at how much better you'll understand the "written stuff".

Take care,

Troy

#1081374 - 02/01/08 11:43 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Troy, I have to say your answer in that PM thread, among all the others, was THE answer. Even Mike's didn't quite do it for me.

I have been wanting to send you a pvt msg just to say thank you, but there is some nasty software interaction in my computer that makes it not possible for me to use that function over in PMMO. Glad you see this thread here - Thanks!

#1081375 - 02/02/08 05:24 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
dvs cycles Offline

Loc: SoCal
This thread made me curious so I went to PianoMagic and looked around.
So this is all online with no book?
My computer is no where near my piano and won't ever be.
He relates piano to dog training?
I consider myself a fair dog obedience trainer having raised 2 semi obedient Shar Pei over the last 17 years but spoiled them rotten and made them fat with treats.
Do I put candy on the piano and everytime I think I did good take one out.
I imagine getting fatter just thinking about it. \:D

#1081376 - 02/02/08 06:08 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

dvs cycles, good thing I am not a candy-ohlics!

I have experience in teaching in my previous job. From these early PM lessons, I would say Mike happens to have a very unique way of bringing the students to the water, so to speak, and letting them make their own learning and discoveries. His languaging may be rather unconventional, but then he is being true to himself. For the lessons where I can tell the underlying intent of where he is guiding the students, it actually all makes sense. One has to be careful not to get too stuck on his pedagogical language and means. (I am not implying that you are.) I actually find his means to be rather entertaining and also very thoughtful underneath.

I told you guys. I am at risk of sounding like Seaside_Lee the second. (Hmmm, "SL II" does have a certain royal look to it. \:D )

#1081377 - 02/03/08 12:14 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
"He relates piano to dog training?"

I'm a life-long "cat person", never owned a dog, am my cat's human, etc., but I still find PMMO very helpful and useful, and believe me, I wouldn't stick around for one minute if I wasn't learning a lot musically from it and getting my "treats" (tuna preferred). \:\)

#1081378 - 02/03/08 10:10 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
quote DVS cycles: This thread made me curious so I went to PianoMagic and looked around.
So this is all online with no book?

Yep, pretty scary huh?

quote: My computer is no where near my piano and won't ever be.

Yep, he prefers that the piano be inside.

quote: He relates the piano to dog training.

Jeepers, you are on a roll, move your treats under the piano. \:\)

Mike's no snob. It's about having some fun while you are learning. \:\)

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#1081379 - 02/03/08 12:13 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hey DVS \:\)

we like it in the DAWG pound dude ;\)

#1081380 - 02/03/08 08:43 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
This new adventure sounds exciting and fun Rosanna....keep us inform of your progress

flickr

#1081381 - 02/03/08 09:49 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Rosanna;

I too will be looking forward to hearing (and listening) to your PM progress.

As you may know, I have invented my own home-brew method of learning piano which revolves around two basic principals; cheating and stealing!.

The "cheating" part comes from my use of some form of a written score that I use as a guide to improvise from.

The "stealing" portion comes from closely listening to what many of the PM players are doing in the performances and copying it.

I really love Lee's full usage of the ENTIRE keyboard when he plays a tune. Making any piece sound full and rich (like a one person orchestra) really appeals to me and I like the way many of the PM students/players do it.

The only pitfall I see is Mikes strict adhearance to NOT using any written score whatsoever as that may be counter productive to what he's trying to teach you to do.

While I fully understand his reasons for doing so, I would never have been able to learn pieces like Nefeli, To Zanarkand, Path of Repentence etc as I've never heard these tunes before and so I could not "humm" them.

Even if I could humm them, they are way too complicated to play by ear (IMO).

Still, the proofs in the pudding and I have only very positive compliments for what many of the PM students have accomplished which is why I'm eager to see your progress as well.

#1081382 - 02/03/08 10:28 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Mr SH,

I am as curious as you are to see how I will progress! \:\)

Your stealing and cheating have served you well from what I can tell! I am not that good learning things without any guidance, so I doubt very much I can get anywhere by trial and error. It would cause me too much frustration - and when it's no fun, I would just give up.

As for learning without any sheet music (a la PM), I think it boils down to what one wants to do. For me, I am very glad about this particular aspect of PM. If I am allowed to "cheat" by reading lead sheets, I will never develop my ears - not just for the melody, but for hearing chord changes in general. I do see the pitfall, if you want to call it that, that with PM, it may be challenging to play the "new age" tunes, as they really aren't singable. I imagine it's quite possible to play improv based on the hummable skeletons of those songs tho'. [Senior PM members, feel free to jump in!]

But like I said, it boils down to where one wants to get to. Luckily, if I want to play the new-age pieces, I can sight-read! (Jab, jab \:D )) But it turns out I would love to play pop singable tunes - Bee Gees included, Monica! And boy, I watched Mike play on some PM videos. Wow, I love it!

Anyway, with ABF's eyes on me, I hope I can make y'all proud!

#1081383 - 02/04/08 12:04 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I would like to see a combo of lead sheets, PM methods, and improvising all wrapped into one.

I guess THAT'S what I'm trying to do but I can't speak of the PM portion since I've never taken the PM course. (Again, that's where the "stealing" portion comes in!).

I do know of, er..um, *some* un-named member of PM that DOES use lead sheets but like I said, I think Mike discourages that.

If Mike offered a course that combined the pricipals of the PM methods along with using lead sheets and written scores, I would jump in in a second. Again, I have no idea if this is possible as may just be counter productive.

I guess I'll just keep on cheating and stealing various piano methods as in some weird way, it works for me.

#1081384 - 02/04/08 03:24 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Mr S-H

Quote:
If Mike offered a course that combined the pricipals of the PM methods along with using lead sheets and written scores, I would jump in in a second.
Why would he do that?

His course is about learning to play solo piano by ear and the way to do that is to play without lead sheets or written music :p

You can already play with lead sheets and writen music the only bit you want to learn is how to PBE and thats the bit he teaches ;\) :p

BTW...Mike uses lead sheets all the time and can read music too...its not forbidden it just doesn't help much when learning to play by ear (or else everyone would simply be able to do it just by reading lead sheets or when playing written music wouldn't they?)

regards

Im looking forward to see how "SL II" is going to do, too

#1081385 - 02/04/08 04:29 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Lee:

I must admit that being able to sight read along with the ability to play by ear can be an incredible combination.

Someone could play scores that they have never heard before by sightreding and once they get the jist of the piece, embellish it with their own personal inflections.

To be honest, I think the piano player with the greatest advantage in any situation is someone who can proficiently do both. (kind of a best of both worlds scenario).

I can sightread music, just not very good but ultimately can get through an advanced beginer/intermediate piece.

I try very very hard to learn how to play by ear and am doing so with some succsess.

So far, I have accomplished this by doing two things:

1.) Paying VERY close attention to where certain sounds and combinations of sounds come from (and memorizing them).

2.) As nutty as this may sound, I consider myself to be an athority of how NOT to do certain things!. I.e, I know why you should'nt stick a scewdriver in an electrical socket!. ..I know why you don't lick the frost on a freezer with your tongue!. I even know why you don't want to try and light a fart on fire as a college prank!.

This sort of applies to my piano learning experiences. I know what combinations of notes DON'T work together even though I have no idea of the actual theory behind it.

I just know that with much daily practice I have been able to make the connection between many compatibly sounding notes and chords as well as numerous combinations of notes and chords that just don't work.

while I do have my reasons for doing my "dumb-luck" way of figuring stuff out, my comprehension of the newly learned matterial is much better as now I not only know what works, but what does'nt as well.
I admit this is NOT the most effecient learning method and is in many ways re-inventing the wheel. I guess my only response would be that although my method may not be efficient, it IS effective; at least for me.

No matter what learning methods are used, the bottom line is that in order for them to be *effective*, the student must be able to respond to it and make noticable progress. Having fun while doing so is also paramount for the longevity of any activity as well.

I am making progress using my wacky methods and still having a lot of fun in the process so I guess I am meeting my goals. That said, I am always open to better, more efficient methods of learning and would highly encourage others to do the same.

I am NOT willing to give up my written scores/lead sheets just yet but at the same time, I would be willing to learn how to play by ear in the abscense of them. Ultimately, my goal is to combine the two into a deadly combination or arsenal from which to draw from.

This is why I am very much looking forward to hearing and listening to Rosanna's progress.

Btw, Lee. I don't know if I ever asked you but can you read music?/sightread?. Just wondering 'cuz you seem to have a good grasp on the PBE aspect of playing music.

#1081386 - 02/04/08 04:53 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Mr SH

If you are having fun...then thats all that matters IMHO \:\)

I have a feeling you are going to be thrilled with Rosanna's progress ;\) \:\)

Quote:
Btw, Lee. I don't know if I ever asked you but can you read music?/sightread?
I can read a lead sheet in the key of C, F and G however only at slow speed...tricky keys? not a chance in heck!

I cannot read music at the moment

#1081387 - 02/04/08 08:32 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
troy1troy Offline

Loc: USA
Mr. SH,

Lee has essentially mentioned this, but I just wanted to mention that things at Piano Magic aren't quite that dogmatic. Your methods (both cheating and stealing ;\) ) obviously work for you...all we have to do is listen.

However, the goal at PM isn't to make you "give up" the rest of the piano methods. It is just encouraged that you put them on hold while your trying to learn a new method. You don't even really have to put them on hold. Other methods don't interfere with PM. It's just that other methods take your time away from PM hence slowing your progress with PM.

You've been around here enough and have heard these things 1000 times, but your post made it sound like once you join PM, everything else goes into the fire. I just wanted to make sure that you knew that isn't the case.

Even though you play beautifully...much better than me. I think you would benefit from PM because you wouldn't have to "cheat and steal"....you'd learn to do it all by your self.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck....

#1081388 - 02/04/08 09:01 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr SH, I second what Troy says 110%. For someone like you who already has developed an ear, you'll speed to the more advanced lessons and start your "cheating and stealing" there. [Edit: just discovery really, not cheating nor stealing.] For me, if I use lead sheet (which, ahem, Lee supposedly did, naughty, naughty), I would never develop my ear. But you are past that stage already!

Sheesh Troy, your thinking/perspective works for me like a glove!! I couldn't have said it better!

Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
I have a feeling you are going to be thrilled with Rosanna's progress
Yikes, pressure!! I can't take it!!

#1081389 - 02/04/08 09:02 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

mispost.

#1081390 - 02/04/08 11:46 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Troy & Rosanna,

Thanks for your further clarification. Not having to give up written music is a major plus as I have become so used to relying on them as my *guide*.

If you have listened to any of my piano pieces, you will notice that in many places I have completely re-written the score in various places. I really enjoy doing this but only if I think (in my opinion of course) that I am adding something to the score.

This may come across as being a bit cocky or what have you like I have the ability to compose a score better than the original composer but that is NOT it at all.

I do this more for the creative aspect of it as I really enjoy composing but I don't know how so instead, I simply "alter" someone elses music.

I've said this before that my favorite music is "LIVE" performances or cover tunes done by other bands. It is so refreshing to hear a really nice variation of a tune you already know and love. This is what I enjoy doing most on the piano as well.

For this reason, being able to play by ear comes in very handy but I am only a self-taught novice at that as well.

Maybe someday after I've exhausted my own methods I'll give PM a try and possibly sooner; who knows.

Then again, I might just cause too much trouble and get booted out! ;\)

#1081391 - 02/05/08 12:18 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
 Quote:
I have been able to make the connection between many compatibly sounding notes and chords
PMMO would teach you exactly WHY those particular notes and chords sound so compatible (and lots of other neat musical magic "tricks"). I think you'd just breeze along with this stuff SH since you're already so advanced. \:\) I don't need the lead sheets anymore except once in a great while I'll get stuck on a real tricky/jazzy chord, then I sneak a peek at the lead sheet. \:D

#1081392 - 02/05/08 01:21 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Is PM a "community" like the AB forum and do they have online recitals?. Also, are PM members a separate group or are a lot of the PM members PW AB forum members as well?.

I know some of them are, I'm just wondering how many.

Curious thats all.

#1081393 - 02/05/08 01:48 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
This may come across as being a bit cocky or what have you like I have the ability to compose a score better than the original composer but that is NOT it at all.

I do this more for the creative aspect of it as I really enjoy composing but I don't know how so instead, I simply "alter" someone elses music.
Mr. SH, You never need to apologize or rationalize to anyone why you do what you do! I consider what you do totally creative and beautifully improvisational, and that's exactly what I want to be able to do too. I just don't have the talent to do it on my own, so I need lessons.

The PM community is every bit as wonderful as ABF. The one big difference is that Mike is a big part of it by providing great insights and instruction, which is of course a major part of the forum there. It's both members helping each other, but it is after all a paid online course, so the teacher *better* be there - and he is in a big way.

I recognize about half dozen ABF members, I think. I see from past posts that there are some ABF members who joined PM at one point but may no longer be a paid member.

There is a recital hall section, a "cinema" where more videos are featured. Other senior PMers can say a lot more about these since I am too green to take advantage of them at this time. Mike also has many more instructional videos and audios besides the lessons. Sometimes those are made specifically for one member (which shows how enthusiastic a teacher he is), but of course those videos and audios benefit everyone at some point.

Mr SH, It's very curious to me how any PM discussions tend to bring out this particular discussion - about whether PM discourages playing from lead sheet, what else happens in the "cult", etc. Now I say this with sincerity for your consideration. My guess is that something about what you hear (in these posts and in the students' music) intrigue you. Perhaps you have some intuition that there may just be something for you in PM. But you can only find out so much without joining PM, which I suppose is frustrating to an extent. So whenever a new thread arises on PM, you question, you probe. (I was doing the same, but with different questions.) I suggest that you call up Mike. (Heck, tell him SL II sent you - just kidding.) I have a feeling you guys will hit it off really well. Tell him what you are hoping to learn. In fact I strongly suggest that you play him something over the phone. This will no longer be abstract - you'll hear his comments, what he has to offer, (or may be he'll suggest something/someone else!)and you'll get a much better idea if there is anything for you at PM, now or later.

signed SL II \:D

Ahem, SL I, how did I do? \:D \:D

#1081394 - 02/05/08 03:17 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ahem, SL I, how did I do?
PERFECTAMUNDO...secret agent Rosanna :p

M

#1081395 - 02/05/08 02:28 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"SL I"...?
"SL II"...?
"M"...?

I need a PM "D"!

"D" = decoder! :p

#1081396 - 02/05/08 02:50 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

I told you guys. I am at risk of sounding like Seaside_Lee the second. (Hmmm, "SL II" does have a certain royal look to it. \:D ) [/b]
Decoding for Mr. SH: SL II is from my earlier post (pg 1) in this thread.

#1081397 - 02/14/08 07:39 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by troy1troy:

After a good amount of time with PM, you'll be shocked at how much better you'll understand the "written stuff".

Take care,

Troy [/b]
Hi all,

This is my first post. We're taking delivery of our first piano on Saturday. It's ostensibly for my 6 year old son who recently started taking lessons, but I am considering learning myself.

I've become intrigued by PM after reading this thread. If I understand Troy's post above, can I take the PM course and follow it up with something more formal like Alfred's without any adverse effects? I like the idea of being able to start playing as soon as possible but then perhaps working through the books as well. Thanks a million for your input.

Cheers,

Erik

#1081398 - 02/14/08 07:54 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Erik, welcome.

Use the search function for Piano Magic or Play by ear, and you should see a ton of stuff on it.

The short answer is you can do any/all of the different methods, and they all build on each other, IMHO. The only "hook" is, for me, I could not do both at the same time, so I went with the Alfred's first and put PM aside for later. I see no reason you could not do it the other way around.

BTW, your name caught my eye. UP or BNSF or ???

A bit of a boomer, I worked for UP first,then SP, then BNSF.

#1081399 - 02/14/08 09:42 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Roadmaster39,

Welcome to the forum!

As gmm1 said, do a search and you'll find much discussion on PM.

Having been in PM for almost 3 weeks, I am convinced that it's the right course for me to learn to play by ear. (OK, there's my plug.) But of course we do have many members learning using the Alfred course (and similar ones.)

As to whether to do both Alfred (or similar) courses AND PM simultaneously, there are 3 considerations in my mind:
1. How much time do you have?

2. Are the both courses consistent with your overall goals?

3. Can you keep Alfred-like type course separate from PM during the learning, at least in the beginning stages? I mention that because PM is quite radical (but totally makes sense to me.) Alfred-like courses is more traditional/left-brain/play-by-sight learning, while PM is very right-brain/play-by-ear oriented. Despite that they are both piano courses, they are 2 separate routes to get to the top of the mountain, so to speak. Try to keep this in mind, and treat these 2 as separate. They *may* seem incompatible for a while. [edited this paragraph for clariy.]

[edit:addition]
4. Consider whether you are someone who learns better with a live teacher or not.

Regardless, I suggest being clear what your goals are, and enjoy your journey as it unfolds.

Again welcome and see you around!

#1081400 - 02/15/08 07:41 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadmaster39:
This is my first post. We're taking delivery of our first piano on Saturday. [/b]
Almost forgot to ask, Erik....

So, what piano did you get for your family? You, by joining this forum, have agreed to a legally binding requirement to post pictures if you get any.

Just kidding, of course, but photos are always welcome.

#1081401 - 02/15/08 01:45 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Quote:
Hey Erik, welcome.

Use the search function for Piano Magic or Play by ear, and you should see a ton of stuff on it.

The short answer is you can do any/all of the different methods, and they all build on each other, IMHO. The only "hook" is, for me, I could not do both at the same time, so I went with the Alfred's first and put PM aside for later. I see no reason you could not do it the other way around.

BTW, your name caught my eye. UP or BNSF or ???

A bit of a boomer, I worked for UP first,then SP, then BNSF. [/b]
Hi GMM1,

Actually it references my 1939 Buick Roadmaster 4 door sedan \:\) .

#1081402 - 02/15/08 01:48 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Quote:
Roadmaster39,

Welcome to the forum!

As gmm1 said, do a search and you'll find much discussion on PM.

Having been in PM for almost 3 weeks, I am convinced that it's the right course for me to learn to play by ear. (OK, there's my plug.) But of course we do have many members learning using the Alfred course (and similar ones.)

As to whether to do both Alfred (or similar) courses AND PM simultaneously, there are 3 considerations in my mind:
1. How much time do you have?

2. Are the both courses consistent with your overall goals?

3. Can you keep Alfred-like type course separate from PM during the learning, at least in the beginning stages? I mention that because PM is quite radical (but totally makes sense to me.) Alfred-like courses is more traditional/left-brain/play-by-sight learning, while PM is very right-brain/play-by-ear oriented. Despite that they are both piano courses, they are 2 separate routes to get to the top of the mountain, so to speak. Try to keep this in mind, and treat these 2 as separate. They *may* seem incompatible for a while. [edited this paragraph for clariy.]

[edit:addition]
4. Consider whether you are someone who learns better with a live teacher or not.

Regardless, I suggest being clear what your goals are, and enjoy your journey as it unfolds.

Again welcome and see you around! [/b]
I think I'm going to give PM a try first. I like the idea of ear training. When I was learning guitar I could never get beyond rote memorization of songs toward improvising.

By the way, I emailed Michael last night before I went home and he responded within an hour. That also helped convince me!

#1081403 - 02/15/08 01:51 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Quote:
 Quote:
This is my first post. We're taking delivery of our first piano on Saturday. [/b]
Almost forgot to ask, Erik....

So, what piano did you get for your family? You, by joining this forum, have agreed to a legally binding requirement to post pictures if you get any.

Just kidding, of course, but photos are always welcome. [/b]
We purchased an early 70's Yamaha console. I had my eye on a new Kawai UST-9, but it's a little out or our reach at the moment.

I'll post pictures as soon as we get it!

#1081404 - 02/15/08 01:52 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Aw, man, I forgot about them. Nice wheels, the '39 always reminds me of a poor-man's Rolls.

Not a poor-man's car today, eh???

#1081405 - 02/16/08 02:05 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I think I'm going to give PM a try first. I like the idea of ear training. When I was learning guitar I could never get beyond rote memorization of songs toward improvising.

By the way, I emailed Michael last night before I went home and he responded within an hour. That also helped convince me! [/b]
There is no memorization in PM. I would *never* have taken the course if I had to memorize! ;\) (I haven't memorized one single piano piece in all my years of lessons!) It's going to be more than just "ear" training - there is rhythm, all kinds of fun decorations (which I am dying to get to, but have to walk before I run), and ultimately it's to bring out our creative freedom and signature.

Yes, I have been getting great support from the PM members, and Mike has been saintly at answering my questions - even called me and helped me out for an hour. His enthusiasm and passion has been amazing to me. I just hate to sound like a cult member already after less than a month! \:D \:D

See you over there soon. Perhaps you can help me out since your guitar training might get you going faster than I!

#1081406 - 02/16/08 10:27 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
bigbeardale Offline

Loc: PA
 Quote:
Mike has been saintly at answering my questions - even called me and helped me out for an hour. His enthusiasm and passion has been amazing to me. I just hate to sound like a cult member already after less than a month!
I second that Mike will offer to help you any way that he can. I am having a lot of fun learning to play by ear at PM. I am dividing my time up, so going a little slow, but I can tell that it is helping me to learn to play. I spend about a hour a day learning to read and a hour with PM. Keep asking questions over there Rosanna, cause like I wrote to you in a message at PM, your questions are really helping me too.
I go thru all of the old threads and read all of Seaside Lees questions too, and they are helping me. He is another one that just knows how to word the questions to get some good answers from Mike. Oh, and I needed a little help with the timing in a song that I liked, and Mike called me and got it all working right. Piano Magic can't be beat in my book, period! Do I sound like a cult member too?

Dale

#1081407 - 02/17/08 02:42 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbeardale:
Piano Magic can't be beat in my book, period! Do I sound like a cult member too?
[/b]
Haha Dale, yes you do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
178 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, ABC Vermonter, A Guy, 53 invisible), 1845 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253270 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
04/24/14 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
04/24/14 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
04/24/14 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
04/24/14 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
04/24/14 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission