Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1081389 - 02/04/08 09:02 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
mispost.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1081390 - 02/04/08 11:46 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Troy & Rosanna,

Thanks for your further clarification. Not having to give up written music is a major plus as I have become so used to relying on them as my *guide*.

If you have listened to any of my piano pieces, you will notice that in many places I have completely re-written the score in various places. I really enjoy doing this but only if I think (in my opinion of course) that I am adding something to the score.

This may come across as being a bit cocky or what have you like I have the ability to compose a score better than the original composer but that is NOT it at all.

I do this more for the creative aspect of it as I really enjoy composing but I don't know how so instead, I simply "alter" someone elses music.

I've said this before that my favorite music is "LIVE" performances or cover tunes done by other bands. It is so refreshing to hear a really nice variation of a tune you already know and love. This is what I enjoy doing most on the piano as well.

For this reason, being able to play by ear comes in very handy but I am only a self-taught novice at that as well.

Maybe someday after I've exhausted my own methods I'll give PM a try and possibly sooner; who knows.

Then again, I might just cause too much trouble and get booted out! ;\)

#1081391 - 02/05/08 12:18 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
 Quote:
I have been able to make the connection between many compatibly sounding notes and chords
PMMO would teach you exactly WHY those particular notes and chords sound so compatible (and lots of other neat musical magic "tricks"). I think you'd just breeze along with this stuff SH since you're already so advanced. \:\) I don't need the lead sheets anymore except once in a great while I'll get stuck on a real tricky/jazzy chord, then I sneak a peek at the lead sheet. \:D

#1081392 - 02/05/08 01:21 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Is PM a "community" like the AB forum and do they have online recitals?. Also, are PM members a separate group or are a lot of the PM members PW AB forum members as well?.

I know some of them are, I'm just wondering how many.

Curious thats all.

#1081393 - 02/05/08 01:48 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
This may come across as being a bit cocky or what have you like I have the ability to compose a score better than the original composer but that is NOT it at all.

I do this more for the creative aspect of it as I really enjoy composing but I don't know how so instead, I simply "alter" someone elses music.
Mr. SH, You never need to apologize or rationalize to anyone why you do what you do! I consider what you do totally creative and beautifully improvisational, and that's exactly what I want to be able to do too. I just don't have the talent to do it on my own, so I need lessons.

The PM community is every bit as wonderful as ABF. The one big difference is that Mike is a big part of it by providing great insights and instruction, which is of course a major part of the forum there. It's both members helping each other, but it is after all a paid online course, so the teacher *better* be there - and he is in a big way.

I recognize about half dozen ABF members, I think. I see from past posts that there are some ABF members who joined PM at one point but may no longer be a paid member.

There is a recital hall section, a "cinema" where more videos are featured. Other senior PMers can say a lot more about these since I am too green to take advantage of them at this time. Mike also has many more instructional videos and audios besides the lessons. Sometimes those are made specifically for one member (which shows how enthusiastic a teacher he is), but of course those videos and audios benefit everyone at some point.

Mr SH, It's very curious to me how any PM discussions tend to bring out this particular discussion - about whether PM discourages playing from lead sheet, what else happens in the "cult", etc. Now I say this with sincerity for your consideration. My guess is that something about what you hear (in these posts and in the students' music) intrigue you. Perhaps you have some intuition that there may just be something for you in PM. But you can only find out so much without joining PM, which I suppose is frustrating to an extent. So whenever a new thread arises on PM, you question, you probe. (I was doing the same, but with different questions.) I suggest that you call up Mike. (Heck, tell him SL II sent you - just kidding.) I have a feeling you guys will hit it off really well. Tell him what you are hoping to learn. In fact I strongly suggest that you play him something over the phone. This will no longer be abstract - you'll hear his comments, what he has to offer, (or may be he'll suggest something/someone else!)and you'll get a much better idea if there is anything for you at PM, now or later.

signed SL II \:D

Ahem, SL I, how did I do? \:D \:D

#1081394 - 02/05/08 03:17 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
 Quote:
Ahem, SL I, how did I do?
PERFECTAMUNDO...secret agent Rosanna :p

M

#1081395 - 02/05/08 02:28 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"SL I"...?
"SL II"...?
"M"...?

I need a PM "D"!

"D" = decoder! :p

#1081396 - 02/05/08 02:50 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:

I told you guys. I am at risk of sounding like Seaside_Lee the second. (Hmmm, "SL II" does have a certain royal look to it. \:D ) [/b]
Decoding for Mr. SH: SL II is from my earlier post (pg 1) in this thread.

#1081397 - 02/14/08 07:39 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by troy1troy:

After a good amount of time with PM, you'll be shocked at how much better you'll understand the "written stuff".

Take care,

Troy [/b]
Hi all,

This is my first post. We're taking delivery of our first piano on Saturday. It's ostensibly for my 6 year old son who recently started taking lessons, but I am considering learning myself.

I've become intrigued by PM after reading this thread. If I understand Troy's post above, can I take the PM course and follow it up with something more formal like Alfred's without any adverse effects? I like the idea of being able to start playing as soon as possible but then perhaps working through the books as well. Thanks a million for your input.

Cheers,

Erik

#1081398 - 02/14/08 07:54 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey Erik, welcome.

Use the search function for Piano Magic or Play by ear, and you should see a ton of stuff on it.

The short answer is you can do any/all of the different methods, and they all build on each other, IMHO. The only "hook" is, for me, I could not do both at the same time, so I went with the Alfred's first and put PM aside for later. I see no reason you could not do it the other way around.

BTW, your name caught my eye. UP or BNSF or ???

A bit of a boomer, I worked for UP first,then SP, then BNSF.

#1081399 - 02/14/08 09:42 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Roadmaster39,

Welcome to the forum!

As gmm1 said, do a search and you'll find much discussion on PM.

Having been in PM for almost 3 weeks, I am convinced that it's the right course for me to learn to play by ear. (OK, there's my plug.) But of course we do have many members learning using the Alfred course (and similar ones.)

As to whether to do both Alfred (or similar) courses AND PM simultaneously, there are 3 considerations in my mind:
1. How much time do you have?

2. Are the both courses consistent with your overall goals?

3. Can you keep Alfred-like type course separate from PM during the learning, at least in the beginning stages? I mention that because PM is quite radical (but totally makes sense to me.) Alfred-like courses is more traditional/left-brain/play-by-sight learning, while PM is very right-brain/play-by-ear oriented. Despite that they are both piano courses, they are 2 separate routes to get to the top of the mountain, so to speak. Try to keep this in mind, and treat these 2 as separate. They *may* seem incompatible for a while. [edited this paragraph for clariy.]

[edit:addition]
4. Consider whether you are someone who learns better with a live teacher or not.

Regardless, I suggest being clear what your goals are, and enjoy your journey as it unfolds.

Again welcome and see you around!

#1081400 - 02/15/08 07:41 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadmaster39:
This is my first post. We're taking delivery of our first piano on Saturday. [/b]
Almost forgot to ask, Erik....

So, what piano did you get for your family? You, by joining this forum, have agreed to a legally binding requirement to post pictures if you get any.

Just kidding, of course, but photos are always welcome.

#1081401 - 02/15/08 01:45 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
Hey Erik, welcome.

Use the search function for Piano Magic or Play by ear, and you should see a ton of stuff on it.

The short answer is you can do any/all of the different methods, and they all build on each other, IMHO. The only "hook" is, for me, I could not do both at the same time, so I went with the Alfred's first and put PM aside for later. I see no reason you could not do it the other way around.

BTW, your name caught my eye. UP or BNSF or ???

A bit of a boomer, I worked for UP first,then SP, then BNSF. [/b]
Hi GMM1,

Actually it references my 1939 Buick Roadmaster 4 door sedan \:\) .

#1081402 - 02/15/08 01:48 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Quote:
Roadmaster39,

Welcome to the forum!

As gmm1 said, do a search and you'll find much discussion on PM.

Having been in PM for almost 3 weeks, I am convinced that it's the right course for me to learn to play by ear. (OK, there's my plug.) But of course we do have many members learning using the Alfred course (and similar ones.)

As to whether to do both Alfred (or similar) courses AND PM simultaneously, there are 3 considerations in my mind:
1. How much time do you have?

2. Are the both courses consistent with your overall goals?

3. Can you keep Alfred-like type course separate from PM during the learning, at least in the beginning stages? I mention that because PM is quite radical (but totally makes sense to me.) Alfred-like courses is more traditional/left-brain/play-by-sight learning, while PM is very right-brain/play-by-ear oriented. Despite that they are both piano courses, they are 2 separate routes to get to the top of the mountain, so to speak. Try to keep this in mind, and treat these 2 as separate. They *may* seem incompatible for a while. [edited this paragraph for clariy.]

[edit:addition]
4. Consider whether you are someone who learns better with a live teacher or not.

Regardless, I suggest being clear what your goals are, and enjoy your journey as it unfolds.

Again welcome and see you around! [/b]
I think I'm going to give PM a try first. I like the idea of ear training. When I was learning guitar I could never get beyond rote memorization of songs toward improvising.

By the way, I emailed Michael last night before I went home and he responded within an hour. That also helped convince me!

#1081403 - 02/15/08 01:51 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Roadmaster39 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
 Quote:
This is my first post. We're taking delivery of our first piano on Saturday. [/b]
Almost forgot to ask, Erik....

So, what piano did you get for your family? You, by joining this forum, have agreed to a legally binding requirement to post pictures if you get any.

Just kidding, of course, but photos are always welcome. [/b]
We purchased an early 70's Yamaha console. I had my eye on a new Kawai UST-9, but it's a little out or our reach at the moment.

I'll post pictures as soon as we get it!

#1081404 - 02/15/08 01:52 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Aw, man, I forgot about them. Nice wheels, the '39 always reminds me of a poor-man's Rolls.

Not a poor-man's car today, eh???

#1081405 - 02/16/08 02:05 AM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I think I'm going to give PM a try first. I like the idea of ear training. When I was learning guitar I could never get beyond rote memorization of songs toward improvising.

By the way, I emailed Michael last night before I went home and he responded within an hour. That also helped convince me! [/b]
There is no memorization in PM. I would *never* have taken the course if I had to memorize! ;\) (I haven't memorized one single piano piece in all my years of lessons!) It's going to be more than just "ear" training - there is rhythm, all kinds of fun decorations (which I am dying to get to, but have to walk before I run), and ultimately it's to bring out our creative freedom and signature.

Yes, I have been getting great support from the PM members, and Mike has been saintly at answering my questions - even called me and helped me out for an hour. His enthusiasm and passion has been amazing to me. I just hate to sound like a cult member already after less than a month! \:D \:D

See you over there soon. Perhaps you can help me out since your guitar training might get you going faster than I!

#1081406 - 02/16/08 10:27 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
bigbeardale Offline

Loc: PA
 Quote:
Mike has been saintly at answering my questions - even called me and helped me out for an hour. His enthusiasm and passion has been amazing to me. I just hate to sound like a cult member already after less than a month!
I second that Mike will offer to help you any way that he can. I am having a lot of fun learning to play by ear at PM. I am dividing my time up, so going a little slow, but I can tell that it is helping me to learn to play. I spend about a hour a day learning to read and a hour with PM. Keep asking questions over there Rosanna, cause like I wrote to you in a message at PM, your questions are really helping me too.
I go thru all of the old threads and read all of Seaside Lees questions too, and they are helping me. He is another one that just knows how to word the questions to get some good answers from Mike. Oh, and I needed a little help with the timing in a song that I liked, and Mike called me and got it all working right. Piano Magic can't be beat in my book, period! Do I sound like a cult member too?

Dale

#1081407 - 02/17/08 02:42 PM Re: I am into Magic - the Piano kind
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbeardale:
Piano Magic can't be beat in my book, period! Do I sound like a cult member too?
[/b]
Haha Dale, yes you do.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
Who's Online
149 registered (ajames, anamnesis, accordeur, 36251, ando, 35 invisible), 1536 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158397 Topics
2326029 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission