Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1081750 - 11/19/04 09:37 AM reading notes fast enough
unclehan Offline

I'm 18 and even though I took some lessons when I was young, I didn't really care at the time.

Now I want to pick it up again.

It seems the hardest thing for me is reading the notes fast enough and knowing which finger to use fast enough. Of course, this can be practiced with repetition. But that'll only work for that particular piece. When a new piece come, do you have to practice again?

How do the expert piano players do it? Do they have to practice when a new piece comes along or do they just jump right in and play with no need to practice (when you get to a high enough level).

Right now, I have to practice individual pieces separetely if I want to play it. But when I get a new piece, I still have to first practice it in order to play it. I wonder if there will be a day when I can just get a new piece and play it right the first time. Is this something to be expected or is it not possible (even for the experts)?

I guess I just don't know what the "standard" is on if you can say "I can play the piano", or "I'm just a beginner at piano".

So when you ask someone if they play the piano, and they reply "yes". Does this mean I can give them a new sheet of music and they can immediately sit down and play it for me. Or do they have to practice for awhile to get it?

Thanks

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1081751 - 11/19/04 09:44 AM Re: reading notes fast enough
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Most of us have to practice first. If it's simple enough, you will be able to read it, it doesn't happen overnght - takes lots of work. Unless you're some kind of genius!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1081752 - 11/19/04 09:58 AM Re: reading notes fast enough
unclehan Offline

But I hope as time goes on, it'll take less and less effort/time to learn a new piece .

#1081753 - 11/19/04 10:10 AM Re: reading notes fast enough
Kris10 Offline

Loc: Ohio
This is the most frustrating aspect of playing the piano for me. I can pick up my flute and sight read anything with 90% accuracy but the piano is more like 20% accuracy. Within just a few weeks though, I have noticed that my reading is improving. I can generally sight read well something that is about two steps lower than my ability. As you improve, you will be able to have music put in front of you that you can just play, for the most part. Our church organist is sight reading 90% of the what she plays every Sunday morning. She's awesome anyway, but it does get easier.

#1081754 - 11/19/04 10:23 AM Re: reading notes fast enough
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
I would say that sight-reading/playing a new piece is one of the hardest skills to develop. To learn this skill, (like any skill) it must be precticed. This means that in addition to learning a piece (which you memorize) you must also practice on a regular basis pieces that are not memorized.

I have started to add 10 minutes a day of this kind of training to my regular playing time.

Rodney

#1081755 - 11/19/04 06:50 PM Re: reading notes fast enough
Mathilde Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by unclehan:
I guess I just don't know what the "standard" is on if you can say "I can play the piano", or "I'm just a beginner at piano". [/b]
IRL you are going to find that this is probably the trickiest, and potentially the most problematic question you will ever have to field as a beginning pianist. When people ask you, "Can you play the piano?" it's nearly always a prelude to, "...then can you play *this* for me?" and they will hand you some sheet music and expect you to play it. You will need to learn how to say cautiously, "Well, I know how to play the piano", not assert, "I can play the piano", because the second statement is what's going to make people assume, for example, that you'll be able to accompany them during the upcoming worship service in about 20 minutes.

So you'll need to distinguish between "I play the piano" and "I know how to play the piano".

So, when someone asks you, "Can you play the piano?", say cautiously, "Well, I know how to play the piano." And you can add shyly, "But I'm just starting, so really..." And that will clarify it for them, and save you from getting stuck with having to stumble your way through the accompaniment to the gospel quartet that just cheerfully handed you their music.

#1081756 - 11/19/04 08:37 PM Re: reading notes fast enough
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Choose from one of the following responses to the question, "Do you play the piano?"

1. (very suspiciously) "Why, who wants to know?"

2. "Sure, for a price." If the person names a price, respond, "Nope, that's not it."

3. "Do I play the piano!? Of course! ummm...you mean that big wooden thing with the black and white buttons, right?"

4. "Yes I do, but Lloyd's of London, who insures my fingers, prohibits me from playing except during performances for international dignitaries. May I see your diplomatic passport?"

5. "Sure! Would you like to join me for a Chopstix duet?"

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Alexander Borro, Abby Pianoman, 36251, ando, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1865 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75596 Members
42 Forums
156303 Topics
2295574 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
P80 for 150
by LarryShone
07/31/14 11:26 AM
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission