2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Is anyone familiar with the quality of the teaching/online courses, and if so, is that also recommended for students of classical piano or too specialized on jazz?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I haven't taken their online course, although I have looked into it pretty seriously, so I can't answer the first question.

I can tell you that Berklee is mostly known for jazz instruction.

I thought the little online placement quiz was kinda cool, and I'm still very interested in the program.

Don't know if that helps at all.

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Yes, got the impression it's pretty good for jazz. It's just that I learn the classical piano and don't need too much specialization in jazz theory. On the other hand, Berklee was the one institution I found with what appeared to be a great online program.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As a Berklee Grad with a major in Compostion, I received just as much training in the classics (i.e. theory, counterpoint, composition etc) as I received in jazz. In addition to my jazz compositions, I was required to write myriad classical pieces spanning everything from madrigals & motets, chorales, fugues (2 and 3 part), a piano sonata and full symphony. In fact, it was a requirement by the State of Mass. for my degree. Not sure about the on-line courses, but as a full time student, I received an excellent education there.
Regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
Guy Offline
My jazz mentor recently talked to me about the online Berklee courses (he'd taken one or two) and he was really pleased with the quality of the instruction. He also mentioned that he likes how they allow access for several months afterwards so you can revisit topics at leisure.

He wasn't paying out of pocket, though (I think his school was picking up the tab). That's probably the primary roadblock for me. It seems to be premium online instruction with premium pricing.

The only other thing I'd like to mention re: Berklee is that while Berklee is known as a premier jazz school, I've met and worked with tons of graduates, and more than half (including my kids' piano teacher, and one kid's sax teacher) have been other than jazz majors. They have fine programs in music education, commercial music, music production, composition, etc. It really is a well-rounded music school!

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Roger! Do you think the amount of jazz might be ok for a classics person? Not that I dislike jazz or have an aversion against it, quite the contrary, it's just that I have to use my time wisely and don't want to spread my activities too far.

Guy, thanks as well!!!

Guy Offline
Here's another idea: I recently bought my kids (ages 9 and 11) the Alfred interactive music theory program, along with a sorta companion ear training program (one is called, I think, Essentials of Music Theory, in three volumes, and the other is called Alfred Interactive Musician). I'm rather impressed with the programs so far. Both together were less than $100 (I think I bought it at www.sweetwater.com).

The reason why I bought these for my kids is because they weren't showing any interest in studying theory out of books, in a self-paced manner. So, I figured if they are video-game oriented kids, why not try a program on a PC.

They still show a preference for spending time on PS2 -- but I've tried to institute a rule that while one kid practices piano, the other works on the theory program, and then they switch. So far, so good.

All of the basics are covered in these programs, but they do start from square 1: lines and spaces on a staff, and two-note higher/lower exercises in the ear-training part. One could easily skip ahead to the parts they don't know yet, however.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Piano&Violin,
It really depends on the course(s) you're interested in. While I still visit the Berklee web site, I've had no need to look up any on-line classes. I already have a Degree (BA) in Composition from them. However, in glancing at some of the on-line courses, they're obviously not what you'd get as a full time student. Not to say that the on-line courses are bad... just that there's no substitute for actually attending the school. Most of the courses appear to be fairly generic and not likely to focus on any particular idiom (i.e. classical versus jazz). This makes sense, as they're reaching out to students who are interested in studying on-line. But generally, most the on-line courses (except the specialized Master Certificates) are jazz/popular oriented. I didn't see any specific classes for counterpoint, composition (only song writing) etc. Composition & counterpoint classes at Berklee are strictly classical. Harmony and Arranging are jazz oriented. Ear Training (solfegio) is fairly generic. Still, Berklee's theory classes are second to none, no matter whay type of music you prefer or study. Theory is theory. It would be more helpful if you could give us an idea of what you'd like to study.
Good luck and regards,
Roger

P
OP Offline
P
Hi Roger,

I've learnt classic piano for a little over 2.5 years and know just enough to read the score well. I have a little knowledge on chords and scales, and that's about it. Increasingly I find I need more theory to better understand the pieces I play and to enable me to better memorize my pieces.

I've got a few books but find theory often looks easy at first glance but then it actually isn't. In addition, there is a mass of information and at the level I am I find it difficult to select what's useful to know and where will I waste my time.

So what I want is:

- a curriculum of things I need to give me the required and recommended tools to support the classical piano repertoire, up to the level of piano sonatas

- reliable source of information (as you can find the same subject dealt with in a simplistic manner or on post university degree level)

- a tool or a person that checks that I actually understood the material and that gives me enough exercise

Berklee's appears fine because it has a clear curriculum and you're not left completely alone. In my area the only proper classes at conservatorium are during the afternoon when I'm in the office.

The conservatorium and a piano school (focus on jazz but includes classic) do offer private lessons, but then I would obviously have to agree a curriculum. I'm currently checking these opportunities as I am looking into Berklee's. The school where I have my piano lessons unfortunately doesn't offer anything like theory, and my piano teacher feels fit to explain basics only, and as it would take too much from my piano lessons we agreed I'd find theory somewhere else.

The owner of the piano school focussing on jazz has actually written a theory book which is too demanding for me for self-study at this point, but which, by structure and looks, appears to be very well thought through. What I like is that there'd actually be a person I could ask questions.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree, you need to have a personal contact for questions. If Berklee is offering this in their on-line courses (via email, of course), then I'd recommend their Theory and Harmony courses. The examples may likely be structured along jazz and/or popular venues, but they can be applied to anything. For example, understanding diatonic relationships, it doesn't make a difference to what style of music you apply it. An Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian mode is the same in any style of music. A tetrachord is a tetrachord is a tetrachord. You get the idea. My suggestion is to try one of Berklee's Theory/Harmony courses. Their method of study is superb. While you may or may not gain everything you hope for, I'm sure you'll walk away from the experience with a far better and structured understanding of the underlying principles of Music Theory.
Good luck and best regards,
Roger

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission