Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1083504 - 04/25/08 11:14 PM Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: West Australia
Hi all,

I’d be interested to hear how your general approach to learning and pattern of study pans out. Over the years I’ve tackled learning many things – from constructing and repairing things, designing and building houses, home-schooling, running businesses, and so on, through to studying various aspects of music. The one thing that I’ve found, every single time, is that I can draw up as many plans and timetables as I like, but I never stick to them.

Currently, I have 3 different approaches to playing. I mix them up, depending on how I'm feeling.

• 1. "Do What You're Told" music. - Following instruction books and set scores.

2."Do What You Choose" music. - Picking any song, score, or fragment and working on it, regardless of whether it fits into a recommended or logical learning sequence or not.

3. "Do Whatever You Like" music. - Improvising, noodling around, experimenting, re-arranging a score or melody to see how it sounds if you do something else with it, etc...

I have been following several books, including Alfreds, but my heart lies with the last approach on the list. I get the most pleasure from experimenting, improvising and generally finding out for myself.

That’s not to say that I think planning is useless. I always learn a great deal from going through the process – but I just never follow the plans or the timetable. Instead, the direction, and the eventual outcome, always shift and grow as the project unfolds. I also have never been able to develop any kind of practice regime or routine that I had the slightest chance of ever sticking to. I never know exactly when I’ll practice, or for how long, but when I do it will have my complete concentration and enthusiasm. Then I’ll stop and do something else. Somewhat surprisingly, I did manage to design and build my own house (a process that required very detailed plans to be drawn and submitted for approval, and the construction progress to be inspected along the way) but even then I changed aspects as I went along, and had no set time plan. I still managed to complete it 100%, in reasonable time though.

What works for you?

Do most people follow books, lessons plans or structured courses? Do you stick to scores or find your own arrangements and make up your own music?

Thanks for any input,

Chris

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1083505 - 04/25/08 11:20 PM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I follow my method and do minimal side pieces knowing it will pay off in the end...I like the structure and the gradual improvement.

#1083506 - 04/26/08 03:40 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark...:
I like the structure and the gradual improvement. [/b]
Thanks for the reply. \:\) I think that a great many people would agree with that. It's almost always recommended that you set goals, and progress in an orderly and structured way. Setting a practice schedule is also strongly suggested as an important thing to do.

I admire people who can do that. But I just can't seem to do it myself. At age 61 I no longer expect to change the way I work, especially as it seems to work for me. For instance, I learned guitar very informally, and now play every week in a trio.

So I wondered how others here arrange their piano study? Do most people follow a teacher or book, or use some other way of setting up a structure?

Or are there others like me who just 'wing it', 'go with the flow', or whatever and follow your own instincts and inclinations when it comes to deciding how hard to work on a given area?

Cheers,

Chris

#1083507 - 04/26/08 07:28 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Debbie57 Offline

Loc: Kansas
Hi Chris,

I had a couple of years of limited lessons as a child and winged it my whole adult life. Playing melody lines and using the only cord system I knew to play the base - also very limited. I could only read music in a very basic way and danced to my own rhythm only playing things I 100% knew the tune to, because I was never taught to count correctly.

At 50, I started lessons last October. WOW! I am having a blast. It helps that I think my teacher is just great. She knew, for now, I didn't want to grind on classical music and set me on a path with Faber & Faber. I rarely play any aside music any more, because I so enjoy what I'm being taught. Like Mark, I'm following the method because the gaps in my skills are so large. Sometimes I can now see/feel the gains up I've made. The structure for me is partly in knowing that I made a choice to hire a professional to help me. Left to my own devices, I fear I might not touch the piano but a couple of times a week & rapidly fall back into the same old pattern.

If you prefer your #3 choice, I also see nothing wrong with that. We are all so different in what we like, what are goals are and our approaches to getting from here to there.

Debbie

#1083508 - 04/26/08 09:56 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Absolutely number 3! \:\)

#1083509 - 04/26/08 10:06 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Hey Chris....

I'm with Mark - I need some structure. That said, I do like you in that I work on more than one method, because I tend to get bored.

So, I work with Alfred's/Piano Handbook (structure), PBE (structure), and Dan Coates arrangements (non-structure and what I like).

It sounds like you and I have a similar approach. The upside is I control what I do and it is more fun. The downside is my progress is much slower than what a focused person can achieve. I would not be comfortable losing any of the parts. Must have structure and must have fun. So what if it's a slower road.

It's worth it to me.

#1083510 - 04/26/08 10:10 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for explaining how it's been working out for you. It fascinating how many different ways there are to learn.

Your teacher sounds terrific - it's priceless when you find somebody who is such a good match.

I learned to read when I studied guitar, and playing regularly with a small group has done wonders for my sense of timing, so I'm not too bad in that regard. I certainly have some massive gaps in my piano skills and all round knowledge though. \:\) In fact it's nearly all 'gap' at this stage....

I did have a few weeks worth of piano lessons from a local musician/teacher but he is currently on tour. Like your teacher, I found it very motivating to have the contact with him as we get on well. He's had many years as a working musician, but was also mostly self taught, so he's not insisting on a classical approach.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to keep elements of my rather erratic style of learning, while still keeping the contact with him to get specific pointers and suggestions. I tend to start feeling a bit claustrophic and pressured if I have traditional lessons week after week, but he has a pretty irregular style himself. So it could work out well.

Cheers,

Chris

#1083511 - 04/26/08 10:37 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Absolutely number 3! \:\) [/b]
Good to hear that! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
Must have structure and must have fun. So what if it's a slower road.

It's worth it to me.
[/b]
Nicely put. I try to have some sort of direction without making it feel too restrictive or overly 'pre-planned'. Sometimes it seems to be getting a bit too random, but having a number of strings to the bow (and the choice of books) seems to keep the motivation up. If I learned one thing from guitar it was that the only really fatal error is to get bored or discouraged and join the thousands who slowly drift away and never come back. I managed to hang in there, but the drop out rate on the forum I used to frequent was pretty high.

Cheers,

Chris

#1083512 - 04/26/08 11:00 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
RatMan Offline

Loc: Bonneville Salt Flats
+1 to numbers 2 and 3. (Would that make 'em 3 and 4?)

Most days I feel like a cat that resists being herded, which partially explains why I'm doing the self-teaching thing. It worked with the bass, I don't see why it can't work with a keyboard instrument. Some might call it bull-headed and immature (and they might be right) and others might call it free-spirited and having fun. That's the way I prefer to look at it.

Btw, I wanna reiterate that if my goal was to be a traditional classical musician, my approach would probably fail miserably. But it works for me when playin the blues.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com

#1083513 - 04/26/08 04:13 PM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Hi Chris - I do all 3, with an emphasis on No. 1, except it's "Do as I tell myself" since I'm self-teaching.

My primary approach is the structured system involved in working from the Alfred Adult series (currently nearing the end of book 2) plus using 2 other main song sources and working my way thru them simultaneously.

In addition, I have a number of other song books from which I occassionally select a favorite song to work on (most recently the awesomely beautiful "The Sound of Music").

Lastly, I do song arrangements on my DP with it's built-in voices and 16-track recorder, which I then burn to CD, and which are then used as background soundtracks by singers in live performances (these are mostly duets used in
church).

As you can see I'm keeping busy. Nice topic. Thanks for asking.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1083514 - 04/26/08 04:34 PM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Kawai, HI Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Chris,
Good question! I think I struggle with this as well. When I started lessons (the first time) years ago, all I could do was follow the book and the teacher. There were no other songs to work on. There was comfort in that approach. Now that I am on round 2 of lessons I am a little lost sometimes. I remember a lot of the technique, chords, reading of music and yet I am sloppy. My teacher put me way back in the books (Faber) to relearn the techniques again etc. So I work on my lesson pieces, then some songs I'm trying to learn and then the old ones I don't want to lose. Some days are better than others.

I think as long as you like what you are doing or some piece of it, keep it up. Like a balanced diet you may still need to work on "what you're told stuff" but enjoy the "what you like stuff".

My $0.02

#1083515 - 04/26/08 08:42 PM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I'm a confirmed member of camp #2 and never stray into #1 or #3. I play only sheet music that I choose (= 70% Einaudi, 25% David Nevue, 5% everybody else).

Like RatMan, I feel that if I had traditional goals for piano mastery, this would not be a good approach. But it works for me. \:\)

#1083516 - 04/26/08 09:39 PM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Chris,

I've been entrenched in #2 all of my life until recently. Now, I'm learning a song by finding the chord patterns that harmoniously mix with the melody. I don't know if this is #3 (improvising) or not, because once I find the chords that fit the melody the rest is memorization. I can't ad lib chords based upon a method. I don't know chord progressions, but I do know what sounds good to my ear. It's all hunt and peck for me at the moment. It's fun, though, and I hope to have the results ready for the upcoming recital. I guess this is still #3.

Lisztener

#1083517 - 04/27/08 12:26 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi again,

Thanks for all the great replies whilst we in Australia were sleeping. \:\)

It's very encouraging to hear that there's such a diversity of approach among the players here. I can definitely relate to Ratman's "herded cat" analogy when it comes to wriggling out of formal study. \:D But I'm trying to keep a foot in all the camps (slightly tricky when you don't have three feet....)

Right now I'm getting a great deal of satisfaction out of doing what Lisztener described - taking a melody and working out what the choices are to support it. This is partly experimentation, but also in some way like detective work, or "reverse engineering".

I'm enjoying taking one of the pieces from my Alfred's books, for instance, working out which is the main melody and what the function of the rest of the notes are. Then trying something different - seeing if I can make it work with just a bass line instead of chords, or try different chord inversions, put the melody in the other hand, or add or subtract notes from the basic chord, etc. Maybe even try a different chord and see how it alters the effect. I really enjoy learning about music in that way.

These are only extremely simple beginner pieces, but fiddling around like that seems to be giving me a basic understanding of the underlying concepts of piano music that I hope will stand me in good stead when things get more complex.

And anyway...it's fun... \:D

Cheers,

Chris

#1083518 - 04/30/08 03:42 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
MarkFromNYC Offline

The great thing about all three methods is that you really can't go wrong with any one of them. Even dispensing with a structured "method" entirely and simply working on the tunes you want to learn is going to teach you a tremendous amount.

The big difference between the methods is really about time vs. enjoyment. A structured course will probably get you from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time, but you sacrifice a certain amount of potential enjoyment--pieces you "have" to work on to in order to get to the next phase of the course can be a drag. A more improvisational approach (methods 2 and 3 above) is a lot more fun, and will eventually get you from point A to B--but not in a linear fashion, so it'll take longer.

It's a little like taking a car trip to a distant place. You can plan out the trip carefully with a map to get to your destination in the shortest amount of time. Or you can point your car in the proper general direction and "take the scenic route," knowing that you'll happen upon your destination eventually (and maybe even accidentally). For one type of person, the payoff is the destination itself; for another, it's all about the experience of getting there.

#1083519 - 04/30/08 04:42 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
fingersandthumbs Offline

Loc: kent, england
Well, by choice I would have started with a teacher. However, my working hours are not conducive to arranging regular lessons and not many teachers in my area teach adults so I took the plunge and started to teach myself.

I tried three method books and eventually found one that suited me, although I have tended to use the theory and exercises but play pieces of music of my own choice (and believe me, I have enough sheet music to choose from!) I simply want to enjoy the learning experience and do the best I can by myself. I've often thought that I take lessons when I retire but by that time I probably won't be able to cope with a structured approach at all.

I completely lack any ability to improvise and envy all of you who seem to improvise effortlessly.

#1083520 - 04/30/08 09:39 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I do all 3.

• I am not currently taking lessons so #1 takes on the form of me trying to move forward thru instruction books. I am not the most structured person to say the least, so this part is a little scary for me.

• If I am diligent with #1, hopefully more pieces will be accessible to me to hang out in #2. There is so much beautiful music out there and so little time. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• But all too often as things become difficult and I lose focus, I almost always ending up blissfully in #3.

#1083521 - 04/30/08 09:52 AM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by MarkFromNYC:

It's a little like taking a car trip to a distant place. You can plan out the trip carefully with a map to get to your destination in the shortest amount of time. Or you can point your car in the proper general direction and "take the scenic route," knowing that you'll happen upon your destination eventually (and maybe even accidentally). For one type of person, the payoff is the destination itself; for another, it's all about the experience of getting there. [/b]
That's a beautiful analogy, Mark, and it expresses how I feel about the issue perfectly. For me, it's *definitely* about the journey.

#1083522 - 04/30/08 01:10 PM Re: Do you follow lesson plans and scores, or do you play what you feel like?
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I am a child, musically speaking, especially in terms of piano maturity. As a child, I long to go out on my own and explore the big new world in front of me, but when I do, I find myself easily lost, without the tools to handle it.

So for now, I am all about doing as I'm told, and following the structure I've chosen (in my case, Alfred's). Even within the Alfred's, I find myself wandering, but more often than not, I discover that there is a reason for ordering of things... some technique or skill I SHOULD have acquired on an earlier piece turns out to be a prerequisite on a later one, or further refines the skill.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
60 registered (alfredo capurso, 0987654321, beet31425, Anticlock, 13 invisible), 1025 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission