Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1084348 - 06/30/04 08:35 PM Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
Kitagrl Offline

Anyone play by ear enough to give you trouble in your lessons?

I have trouble to where when I get the feel of a song in my lesson, (Alfred series) I do less reading notes and more feeling the song out by ear which means I am not actually getting as much note reading practice as I should be.

I play alot of church hymns and mostly improvise the left hand by ear. I have alot of trouble reading my left hand in my lessons at the same time as reading the right. I have always had somewhat of a mental block towards reading notes anyway and find I am very slow to learn and remember music theory and etc.

I hear that it is good if you have an ear for music but my teacher says it hurts the learning process though. Anyone else have any problems/blessings with this? I think in a way its is good since I HAVE to play for church and if I couldn't play by ear somewhat I'd be having problems...however I think it is hurting my lessons and that I could be farther by now if I could learn to sight read better. (Been taking lessons for about a year and a half and am starting Alfred book 5 in the regular series, and I am REALLY slowing down...)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1084349 - 06/30/04 08:59 PM Re: Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
fingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westchester, NY
Music is an "aural art". I would take good ears over good reading any day. But why not develop both skills?

Regards,

Fingers

#1084350 - 07/15/04 07:11 PM Re: Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
Cerveau Offline

Loc: Atlanta
I know what you mean entirely. I started lessons when I was five, and for a whole decade played nearly everything by ear. Notation never stuck with me, and as I moved from city to city I changed teachers and I'd have to start at the begining every time. I'd always embraced it before, my playing everything by ear. But just recently I've gotten so mad at myself for not taking advantage of all of the lessons in my childhood. I literally can't focus on sightreading if I've got any clue how the music does or should sound. I'm not in lessons now, and haven't been in ages, but I hope to start soon, and I KNOW I'm going to have so much trouble. The difference in the difficulty of things I can play and read are so drastic, I play difficult songs by ear incorrectly, and simple songs I'm not interested in learning and probably couldn't read anyhow. I used to love playing by ear so much, I almost want to kill it entirely now.

#1084351 - 07/17/04 11:01 AM Re: Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
Kitagrl Offline

I totally agree...if someone would listen to me play, they probably would think I have been in lessons longer than I have been. But if someone introduced even a moderately easy piece that I have never heard, they'd be appalled at how it sounded for me to try to sight read it. :-(

#1084352 - 07/17/04 01:33 PM Re: Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Count your blessings! I have good ears, but not the confidence. I have been trying to free myself up to do more improvisation/ear playing. I have a DVD series called Piano for Life-Mark Almond that really encourages/teaches that. He does not ignore theory, but teaches you to "sound" the piano. Pretty fun stuff for an inhibited/by-the-note person like myself.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#1084353 - 07/17/04 01:46 PM Re: Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
Yes. When I was a kid my piano teacher held music appreciation classes and played pieces for us. A lot of them really caught my attention, and I desperately wanted to play the music (the Promenade to 'Pictures', Claire de Lune, etc.) So I'd go home, sit at the piano and pick out the music that was in my head. By the time I got back to the next lesson I had a version of the "tune du jour" that I would play for her. The interesting thing about that is that my ear versions were always in the composer's signature key.

I still do this sometimes if something is in my head and won't stop...picking it out by ear usually satisfies the need to hear it played outside my head and it then goes away.

#1084354 - 07/17/04 02:00 PM Re: Playing by ear vs. Playing by note
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Interesting - getting it out of your head and onto the keys. I have always been one to get things (music, obsessions, whatever) stuck in my head. I just learned the 3rd movement of my little Sontatina and immediately everything I do and everywhere I go it is going round and round. I hum when I play too. I think it really helps to have the tune in your head.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (alfredo capurso, AZ_Astro, beet31425, AmateurBob, 23 invisible), 888 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316074 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission