2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Have you ever met a proficient classical piano player who is stupid??.

Have you ever heard a jazz/improvisor who is not extremely creative??

Have you ever heard of an accomplished "play by ear" pianist who is not an astute "thinker"??

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being a proficient piano player is kind of an "I.Q" test of sorts!; no matter what type of music you like to play, if you are good at it, I just don't think you can be a dummy!!.

The differences between music styles can have profound similarities, yet be so different in how the musician ends up with the finished song.

For example, I simply cannot play classical music!. I just can't abide by all the structured rules set forth in that type of music.

(pp, mp, ff FF), timing, lots-o-sharps, flats, signature changes, pedaling rules....on and on. Okay, so I'm a moron!! confused , But at least I have the ability to "switch" over to the creative side of my brain in where I can excell.

I do find it very interesting that some very accomplished classical pianists (which I have great respect for), cannot improvise or "play by ear" to save their lives!

Then again, you have people like me who are horrible sightreaders, don't follow any rules, don't really even know how to properly read music, but have some way of improvising songs that they can barely read in the first place!!

In either event, to me, it seems that you have the very studious (brainy) type of people who really accel at a structured form of piano playing..(classical), and then you have the other type of people who seem to do much better when creativity is involved and the rules (structure) is left up to the performer rather than writen in the score.

Just as a side note, I am the type of person who simply will not read a set of instructions. No, I am not trying to beat the system, or do it my way, its just that after 10 pages of safety instructions and the beating around the bush way to get the task accomplished to satisfy the lawyers, I'd just rather figure it out on my own.

Maybe I lack discipline and "structure"!, or maybe, I'm just more creative and am seeking a better way to do something. In either event, what ever means by which you play the piano (or any instrument for that matter), just the fact that you CAN perform it well is a testament to your intelligence (at least at some level, in my opinion), for I think that truly "stupid" people (low I.Q), are neither "structured", or "creative", and therfore most likely cannot play anything!

So, consider yourselves very smart....in one way or another! thumb

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Was just thinkin of ya SH...and wonderin how your doin?? hangin in there?? hows that M&H? recorded anything?? too many questions?? lol here's to ya...miss ya around here

Les

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That post was much too difficult for me to understand, what with me being a classical player an' all...

:-)

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Being serious, I think musicality is an innate sense and although it may correlate to high intellect (musicians certainly like to think so), it may also have a lot to do with opportunity and exposure.

I also think that playing by ear can be learnt. Some learn it as a means of avoiding the hard work of becoming a proficient sight reader. Others becuase they just fancy it.

In my case I am not great at playing piano by ear. I can do it, but I am classically trained and I find it quicker to just get a score and play that.

However, on guitar I play almost everything by ear, even very complex work. I just made a choice to do that, even though I can obviously read music.

In the same way, I expect you could learn to play classical pieces from a score if you really wanted to.

A

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
you dont need to be smart to be creative.....that being said i think my kids were creative at the age of 1, they drew pictures, etc. they werent brilliant but they were creative. i also dont think you have to be smart to play piano. they just need to understand the notes etc. even stupid people can learn that over time. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to play the piano just someone with some extra time, and will to learn....... my 3 year old just started lessons and he is doing great. not saying my son is not smart, but he is 3 and cant read yet, but yet he is understanding the piano.....

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi
There are plenty of people who do both and do them very well so I don't think they are mutually exclusive (playing classical "structured" music from the printed page versus "creatively" improvising). There are people who excel at one and not the other, and then lots of other very smart people who aren't good at either-- but have other talents. So there are at least four categories! laugh

You know the old saying: "There are two kinds of people in the world- those who think there are two kinds of people and those that don't"
cool

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hmmm; ok, how's this then?

1.)Structured only (say classical for example)
2.)Structured/creative (classical/jazz/improv,by ear,etc), basically everything
3.)Creative only (i.e non-structured jazz/improve/by ear)
4.)other??

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Hunky how ya doing? laugh

I'm stupid and lazy most of the time (just ask Mrs Seaside wink ) ...so yeah, I reckon its possible thumb

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Creativity is its own kind of intelligence.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Anyone can play the piano. It is a question if they can play well.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Frycek is right; most of the recent trendy theories of intelligence emphasize "multiple intelligences," of which artistic ability and/or creativity is just as important a component as verbal intelligence. It's just that we as a society have traditionally valued verbal intelligence more, and our IQ tests and SATs etc. focus on it (and quantitative ability) and neglect entirely the more creative aspect.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
No

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well,, , , , maybe.

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes????

Um, , , what was the question?

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sorry,
Is there a smiley that has had to much wine?

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mdsdurango:
Sorry,
Is there a smiley that has had to much wine?
Yes, it's me.... wink

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
...we as a society have traditionally valued verbal intelligence more, and our IQ tests and SATs etc. focus on it
Not any more.

Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that being a proficient piano player is kind of an "I.Q" test of sorts!;
Brilliant!

Take what you are good at and declare that to be the standard.

I guess maybe that in itself is the definition of high intelligence.

It's Not Having What You Want, It's Wanting What You've Got. (Sheryl Crow)
smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
"Take what you are good at and declare that to be the standard."

Ok, that was clever!, I mean really clever smile

M
M
I saw a television show a few months back on a young man who was so mentally impared he couldn't dress himself. Experts evaluated his basic cognitive skills at the level of a 5 year old.

However, after hearing a piece of music (piano or otherwise) played once he could play it perfectly on the piano first time, and could improvise and styalise to an extrodinarily high standard.... eek

did anyone else see this? I think it was an Australian program, so probably not!

Originally posted by Mountain Ash:
I saw a television show a few months back on a young man who was so mentally impared he couldn't dress himself. Experts evaluated his basic cognitive skills at the level of a 5 year old.

However, after hearing a piece of music (piano or otherwise) played once he could play it perfectly on the piano first time, and could improvise and styalise to an extrodinarily high standard.... eek

did anyone else see this? I think it was an Australian program, so probably not!
Yeah I was just about to mention that. You beat me to it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission