Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1085447 - 12/02/08 12:53 PM Remedial class...
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think maybe I've reached my potential.

This doesn't really upset me. It's sort of a relief. I've been working on grade 7 and 8 pieces occasionally but struggle. My latest grade 7/8 piece we are 'putting on hold.' I'm not discouraged (not really...well maybe just a little). I'd rather play a grade 5/6 piece very well than mangle a more advanced piece. I think I'd actually like to stick with these easier pieces - for a while at least.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1085448 - 12/02/08 01:12 PM Re: Remedial class...
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Two steps forward, one step backward - nothing wrong with going "back" and regrouping and "shoring up your base" - this doesn't imply that you've "reached your potential" - you may never reach that - spend some time working on the grade 5/6 pieces you're familiar with, add some new ones, get them reasonably "mastered" and then return to the grade 7/8 stuff again, maybe some different pieces - if that works then great! If not, do it again - until you "break thru".

My impression is that learning a very specialized skill like playing the piano happens in stages where your skills increase for awhile, and then you reach a plateau and level off, and stay there for some time, and head back uphill again - but sometimes you have to back up a little to "get up a head of steam" for that next uphill surge.

As my old football coach used to tell us (when we were getting our butts kicked) "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"!

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1085449 - 12/02/08 01:40 PM Re: Remedial class...
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sandy,

Good for you! \:\) There is much beauty and many challenges within the large choice comprising level 5/6 pieces. I'm sure that you have thought through your situation to come to the conclusion that struggling with higher level pieces can wait for a while as you enjoy the less complex levels for you.

Given your talent, I can enjoy anything you wish to play and share.

Best of luck with your decision regardless of how it may fit within your potential.

Sincerely,

Lisztener

#1085450 - 12/02/08 04:33 PM Re: Remedial class...
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Sounds like a very sensible attitude, Sandy. I have always believed that for us Adult Beginners, piano is a hobby and should be a source of pleasure and reward, not pain. As long as I have a stack of sheet music a yard high that I am yearning to learn how to play that is within my current abilities, it bothers me very little that I can't play more advanced stuff.

Work on what you enjoy and what you can feel good about mastering. \:\)

#1085451 - 12/02/08 08:33 PM Re: Remedial class...
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Sandy, it sounds like you've really had an epiphany without too much sadness. I used to be discouraged by all that I couldn't play until a teacher asked me how much I practiced. When I told him an hour a day--an amount I think is heroic considering I have kids at home, a job, etc.--he said that wasn't nearly enough time for the level of pieces I was playing. There wasn't any guilt there, just the fact that difficult pieces take a lot of time and patience.

I find I make more true progress on easier pieces. I can focus on tone and tempo and other things besides "will I actually hit all the correct notes?"

You may change your mind after a while, but we all have to find the mix of pieces that gives us the most satisfaction. I know when I hear other people play, I much more enjoy a simple piece played well than a difficult one played poorly. For myself, playing well--no matter what the level of the piece--is very satisfying. The pieces you've posted show you are accomplishing that, and I am glad you're not feeling pressure to keep moving up.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1085452 - 12/02/08 09:33 PM Re: Remedial class...
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I'm a little frustrated that I'm not progressing as fast as I would like. I practice a lot (a couple of hours most days) but still seem to be treading water right now. I know that plateaus help solidify technique from time to time so I'm trying my best to be patient. I need to find pieces that are harder than a two or three week project but not 6 months or a year... I'll discuss this with my teacher next lesson.

Quote:
As long as I have a stack of sheet music a yard high that I am yearning to learn how to play that is within my current abilities, it bothers me very little that I can't play more advanced stuff.
Part of my problem is that I have all this beautiful music at home. A lot that is above my level, some that is not challenging enough, and also a lot that I'm sure is very doable - classical, jazz, pop and folk....... sorting it out and creating that stack of attainable pieces is a challenge in itself!!

#1085453 - 12/03/08 10:36 AM Re: Remedial class...
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I'm also quite happy with where I am right now. I may never get out of the "easy piano" books, but, you know what? That's fine with me. There's a ton of music out there that I love and want to play, and if it isn't super-difficult, that's ok. I find that when I try to push too hard, and struggle with things too far above my current ability, I get really frustrated and upset with myself and have, on occasion, found myself not wanting to touch the piano for days because of the pressure I put on myself. And that's not why I began to play, so I'm just going to do what I can, and be happy enjoying that.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1085454 - 12/03/08 10:59 AM Re: Remedial class...
FormerFF Offline

Loc: Roswell, GA, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by NancyM333:
Sandy, it sounds like you've really had an epiphany without too much sadness. I used to be discouraged by all that I couldn't play until a teacher asked me how much I practiced. When I told him an hour a day--an amount I think is heroic considering I have kids at home, a job, etc.--he said that wasn't nearly enough time for the level of pieces I was playing. There wasn't any guilt there, just the fact that difficult pieces take a lot of time and patience.

I find I make more true progress on easier pieces. I can focus on tone and tempo and other things besides "will I actually hit all the correct notes?"

You may change your mind after a while, but we all have to find the mix of pieces that gives us the most satisfaction. I know when I hear other people play, I much more enjoy a simple piece played well than a difficult one played poorly. For myself, playing well--no matter what the level of the piece--is very satisfying. The pieces you've posted show you are accomplishing that, and I am glad you're not feeling pressure to keep moving up.

Nancy [/b]
An hour a day IS a heroic amount considering your other responsibilities. \:D
Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 38 invisible), 1978 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156065 Topics
2291770 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
13 minutes 45 seconds ago
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
Today at 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
Today at 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
Today at 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
Today at 12:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission